Music

Do You Remember This #ThrowbackTrack? Listen to Blackky – Rosie

Deji S

Blackyy - Rosie - BellaNaija - August - 2015

Here’s something for the older generation music lovers.

Staying relevant is an important task for any artiste who intends to have a musical career that lasts for more than a minute. This was no problem for Blackky – the man who gave us “Rosie“!

Blackky (Nya Edward Inyang) brought dancehall hit tracks to the Nigerian music scene; and he had everyone’s attention.

Then a Sociology undergraduate at the University of Lagos, he released his debut album, “About Tyme” on Premiere Music in 1991. The album housed hit tracks including “Blackky Skank” and “Sugar Stick“. However, the major hit of his career remains “Rosie”.

With catchy lyrics such as “Can I have a dance, Rosie?“, the track became a favourite among Nigerians and was even used as pick-up lines at clubs.

It’s interesting to note that two decades later, “Rosie” was played in season 2 of Ndani TV’s “Gidi Up” series.

With his sixth album “Reggae Icon“; released in 2009, Blackky is still a force in the Nigerian music industry.

Listen!

1. ChiChiChilolo

August 20, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Mehn! Those good old days. Onyeka Onwenu, Sunny Ade, Paul I.K Dairo , Victor Uwaifo. I loved Nel Oliver’s baby girl, Loriane Okotie, Alex Okoroigwe, Onyeka’s wait for me, Christy’s Seun Rere. Liberty’s Ifeoma is just CLASSIC!. Junior and Pretty. Evi Edna. Ras Kimono, Orits Wiliki, The Mandators and Mike Okri. Dan Maraya Jos. Bright Chiemezie. Daniel Wilson. Back to Blackky, how i really loved. ‘Rosie’, ‘Bang belly’ and ‘kank’, Hmmmn!

• Feelitx

August 20, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I believe you die. You are three much.

2. Anon

August 20, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Ha! Ha!! I remember this so well. With Juliet and the rest of his posse. .

3. ITK is back

August 20, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Chai, bless you blackie….this song conceived lots of 90s babies…..LOL!!!!

Love this song and its a bop too….fun fact – this song is popular in the carribean too….lmao

4. Nemerem

August 20, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Love this song so much. Brings back lovely memories of growing up and watching NTA back then. Also remember Belinda eeh Belinda ooh Belinda, can’t remember the name of the artists though. Good old days.

• ChiChiChilolo

August 20, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Grady Harrell

• Busarni

August 21, 2015 at 8:33 am

Aww thanks chilolo babe, had to go to his site and listen to the Belinda track. Got me singing; na na yehi yehi na na, belinda ooh .

5. Chuckleberry

August 20, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Remember this…… very scintillating jam.. Mr Blakky…Jams in the 80s and 90s were something else..
    Indescribable ecstasy.

6. Concerned_Boyfriend

August 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I was just miming this song a few days ago. That is what I call the Foundation Tune!.. The song has a place in the Nigerian Music history. Big big tune!

7. Fix it

August 20, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Back then when music was so sweet lol… The likes of biggie belle, taxi driver, sweet mama, and like nemerem mentioned Belinda ehh o Belinda ohh Belinda lollll. All the tales by moonlight babies stand up lol!! Thanks for this throwback series Bellanaija!

8. Mimi May

August 20, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I so so loved ROSIE by BLACK KY! It was da bomb those days. Let me try the lyrics… can I have a dance Rosie ahh.. My friends are watching me Rosie ahhh… They will laugh after me Rosie ahh… Can I have dance Rosie ah ah.. wow! That’s d much I can remember. Can’t rap. Great song.

9. Ijebu Boy

August 21, 2015 at 5:52 am

see people letting their ages show. lmao

90’s babies be like “who is blackyy?” lmao. you all missed out tho, i swear.

*low key jamming to Rosie*

10. Tkum

August 21, 2015 at 10:41 am

a song that gets me all emotional dat year… i also remember Mike Okri’s hear your mama hear your papa eh…. life go betta for you…*continues till fade* @ close of page.

11. Naked

August 22, 2015 at 4:10 am

Thank you BN for this.. I remember this with so much nostalgia.

12. Ugoeze

May 6, 2018 at 11:36 pm

So much love Blackky’s song- Rossie. Can I have his contact pls? Will love him play for me. Am having a party. Thanks.