News

Former Governor of Akwa Ibom State Godswill Akpabio Involved in a Car Accident

BellaNaija.com

godswill_akpabio_official_photo

Former Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godswill Akpabio, was involved in a car accident this morning along the Airport Road in Abuja, Premium Times reports.

The crash reported occurred when one of the cars in the ex-governor’s convoy tried to beat the traffic light resulting in a collision with another car and the one that Akpabio was seated in.

An eye witness recounts ‘My wife and I were coming from the NNPC Mega Station and we stopped at the traffic light by Bolingo Hotel Junction. When the green light showed and we made to move, there was this siren blaring Mercedes Benz jeep that came from the town and almost crashed onto my car. I don’t know how we dodged but another that was behind the jeep hit the car behind me and tumbled on its side. I and my wife rushed out of our vehicle and helped the driver bring out his boss. When we brought him out, we found that it was former governor Godswill Akpabio. At the time we brought him out, the siren was still blaring. We put him in the other vehicle and he was rushed to the National Hospital.’

According to reports, he was later moved to a private section of the hospital for X-ray and other investigations.

Source: Premium Times

1. amy

August 31, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Jesus Christ!!! I pray he get well soon….. One of d best governors in Nigeria… May God be with u

• bruno

August 31, 2015 at 2:47 pm

u are calling god to help him after he was reckless on the road. he beat the traffic light putting other road users in dangers.

I dont understand u Christians, I swear.

• nene+

August 31, 2015 at 9:42 pm

First time i have seen a man/woman who have never beaten traffic light.
      Bruno can you swear???

PDP haters!nothing more .

• Wale

August 31, 2015 at 4:12 pm

How many have been assassinated with direct order from Akpabio? If his convoy and the reckless driving has denied someone of his/her life they would have thrown money at them and he will continue his own life. Are these politicians not common human beings? How much did he embezzle?They forget we are all mere mortals. Look at every politician or big man in Nigeria, then imagine them naked. They are nothing but human beings with pot bellies and ugly faces, just like the next laborer or fisherman. They hide under layers of agbada and native caps. We are all vulnerable beings.

• Wale

August 31, 2015 at 6:31 pm

We’ve just read that the accident was just a ruse. Akpabio is due at efcc this week for questioning and perhaps there is another critical investigation on him also starting this week for crime he committed during his administration. There are no pictures of the accident and he paid people to go online to announce it. Everything was staged. His family has already moved abroad ahead. We believe he will join them soon but would use further medical treatment as an excuse. He will not be coming back.

2. bruno

August 31, 2015 at 2:45 pm

next time u will obey traffic rules and regulations.
    can u imagine this people. who are u to beat the traffic light.

if Nigeria was a civilised country he would go to prison. this is recklessness of the highest order. public endangerment.

how dare u put people’s lives at risk by beating the traffic light because u are a former governor or what. where the hell are u even rushing to?

I have seen this thing many times, government officials and their convoys beating the traffic light. the light is red and they will continue moving. even the traffic wardens (yellow fever) on duty wouldn’t do anything.

pls the person who’s car collided with the former governor’s car should sue him for millions cause the ex governor was at fault. there are eye witnesses

lawless things. nigerian government officials putting people’s life at risk with their recklessness.
    the speed they use on the road is very excessive also. driving like mad people.

3. Naomi

August 31, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Enemies I’m living my life….

4. Thatgidigirl

August 31, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Very good! Should have been hit by a Mac truck or julius Berger heavy duty truck. These power hungry politicians’ convoys are a nuisance to other road users!!!! I lost a relative when a senator’s convoy pushed him off the highway into a ditch 5years ago.

• jasmine

August 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Hit by a Mac truck? Lol. Babe u r wicked o. Sorry abt ur cousin dear

5. FasholasLover

August 31, 2015 at 3:32 pm

My fav Gov. Get well soon. But where were you rushing to that you couldn’t obey simple traffic rules? I hope you also pay the bills for the people in the car you collided with. If you go obobo abroad you must take them too and pay compensation. Stupid man, can’t afford to forget the perks of siren blaring.

6. cheryl

August 31, 2015 at 3:53 pm

may God grant him quick recovery oo, buh hang on a minuite, an ex governor still move around with convoy and blaring siren? pls adungeteet, and dey also had to beat traffic bcos…”above the law” okwiya? All is well, Naija All is well

7. mary

August 31, 2015 at 4:08 pm

everybody should learn to obey the laws in Nigeria, for the fact that you were a past governor does not mean that you are above the law. Nigerians love power more than anything to the extent that nobody wants to give it up even after their tenure, shouldn’t there be a law prohibiting those who are no longer in power to stop using siren? waiting for a few minutes in traffic before the green light wouldn’t kill you. the recklessness of your drivers endangers the life of other road users. just because they are carrying a past governor does not place them above the other law abiding citizens. they should learn what humility is from Obama.

8. PRINCE

August 31, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I totally agree with Bruno this time. sometimes I wonder, are these things too big to obey simple laws and they call themselves lawmakers. good for him.

9. Ubong Okon

August 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm

If you can lie, then you can cheat.
    if you can cheat, then you can steal
    If you can steal then you can kill…!
    …drops of water make a mighty ocean!

10. Grace

August 31, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I wish he had even broken two of his legs at least,(may others will learn and stop using their damned convoy to disturb)this Ex.governors,senators those serving expecially in that Abuja cause a lot of havoc expecially on that airport road,always making the rest of us passing there look like nobodies….its crazy. They don’t care one bit. NEVER.
    A convoy with a senator nearly killed me on my way to the airport just in June i was saved by God. They didnt even stop nothing. Wicked animals.

11. We the oppressed

August 31, 2015 at 5:08 pm

In other news, the “Non-humans?” who were in the car hit by Akpabio were not mentioned? Na wa for our country o! The people who he hit; did they not need medical care?

A country were poor man is oppressed.

12. Omoj

August 31, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Ex-governor and convoy? Thought you loose all that after your tenure. I guess not. The new government needs to work on that. No siren vehicle with Former governors or even presidents. There are still ways they can be protected after office that has nothing to do with all the noise.

13. Suweddy

August 31, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Wish he actually broke everything breakable in his body.He could have killed law abiding citizens and we will blame the devil for one educated fool stupidity.my neighbor was killed by siren hungry people on airport road in lagos years ago. Cant get the memory out of my head because i was there.it could have been me.

14. Saviour E. Ekpo

August 31, 2015 at 6:10 pm

A big pity to the former Governor of Akwa Ibom state, the senate minority leader, I pray you recover very quick, for Nigerians are in need of your obligation, people like you are God’s gift to our Nation.

15. id.

August 31, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I wonder why lawmakers should break laws.Dis should serve as a deterrent to others of the sort.I wish him a speedy recovery anyway!

16. easy boy

August 31, 2015 at 10:23 pm

My favourite gov then but after breaking traffic rules his left leg and hands would have been broken then everlasting open teeth would have been there as an evidence that he drove recklessly….unam ikot…!

17. Koffie

August 31, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I have no sympathy for him and I don’t even feel bad about that. I hope the people his cars hit were also taken to the hospital. All lives matter. They’ll be acting like the Law is beneath them and only made for the commoners. It sounds like a scene from a Yoruba movie. Esan a ke, it is already ke-ing sef. At the end of the day, we’re all ordinary people. Your death ain’t gonna be grander just cos you’re a public funds looter or oops graceful politician.
    Wale, if you’re right ehn, they’re worse crooks than I imagined oo ?

18. Suwa

September 1, 2015 at 8:28 am

We see them every day in abuja, most of our leaders are something else when it comes to that including their children. Good for him sha

19. Amadi Precious

September 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Sir frm my heart I really wanna wish u a safe recovery. Dnt really knw u dat much, buh d good things I heard abt u iz all dat matters. I will definitely put u in my PRAYERS nd others involved too. Frm my heart, I WISH U A SAFE RECOVERY!! Amen

20. edidiong ekperikpe

September 4, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Am very sorry my distinguised senator i pray u get well soon o thanks to the almighty God who speared ur life from the hands of the ungodly.

21. victor Essien

September 7, 2015 at 12:06 am

Tender justice with mercy guys. Most of us here criticizing would do worst things even were we to attain that position. Wish you quick recovery one time African best Governor

22. Sylvester

September 11, 2015 at 7:42 am

wake up… accident bed is not main for u.

23. Ubon

October 16, 2015 at 11:50 pm

So the Anti-Graft has finally decided to move in on Akpabio which is good. However, it is not enough, Akpabio must be forced to open the books and show AKS people the budget and appropriation of funds to the account 3.2 Trillion Niara during his time in office. He must also show that he used his hard earn money to acquire all the assets he has been identified to own ranging from Millions to Billions of Niara in Abuja and Lagos.