News

“I Built a 4 Bedroom Flat For My Mom by Selling Corn” – Lagos Mom Shares Inspirational Story

BellaNaija.com

Humans of Lagos BellaNaija

We came across this inspirational story on The Humans of Lagos Instagram page and we just had to share.

A Lagos mom was able to build her mom a 4-bedroom flat for her mother from the proceeds of her corn business.

Here is what she said:

“I built a 4 bedroom flat for my mum through my corn proceeds. I lost my father when I was young and even tho he was not there to guide and advise me, I knew where I came from and I did not need anyone to sit me down before I did the right thing. I’ve been doing this business since my teenage years, I’m also a caterer and a fashion designer but once it’s corn season, I leave it and face corn. It hasn’t been easy tho, I have to back my baby while standing and I only go home to see my husband on weekends. Nobody that knows me will believe I sell corn here.”

***

Hard work truly does pay off, no matter what the circumstances may be. What’s your excuse for not pursuing your dreams again?

Photo Credit: Humans of Lagos/Instagram

1. AISHA

August 14, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Wow inspirational, anything for our mothers.

2. Chinma Eke

August 14, 2015 at 12:50 pm

This are stories that show Nigeria, not those ‘celebrated’ images.

• Frank

December 11, 2015 at 10:23 am

Oh yeah. And such as this are the true heroes that deserve a ‘Project fame’ or those local and multinational coy’s ambassadorial tags. It will go a long way in shaping the minds of our youths by enforcing a culture of diligence as against what we have now….

3. missappleberry

August 14, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Those African pears look so appetizing. Meanwhile, read somewhere that African pears are very good for the male prostrate. Inspiring story.

• Anon

August 14, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Ube! I need some in my life right now.

• Tunmi

August 14, 2015 at 7:59 pm

That ube though…. I am.willing to withstand the beat, mosquito, poor roads, and traffic all for ube and agbalumo and the rest of the fruits I can’t get anywhere else.

4. nnenne

August 14, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Inspiring.
    I also heard about an akara seller, who built six bedrooms bungalow for her family and employed her husband whose business collapsed.

5. RIFF RAFF

August 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been doing this business since my teenage years…..
    Most of these entrepreneurs start off quite young. it’s good teens learn or be taught a craft/business during holidays. The energy and creativity is there, the brain is still fresh and open to retain whatever is put inside. Plus, One never knows tomorrow, not everybody will sit in an office. At least…not immediately

6. Tunmi

August 14, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It has all the necessary components:

1. Learn a skill. She’s a caterer, fashion designer, and she sells corn.

2. Have multiple streams of income.

I wanted to know where she bought the home. I’m planning to do the same for my parents but it won’t be in Lagos. Maybe Abeokuta, Ibadan, or the outskirts of Lagos.

7. Author Unknown

August 14, 2015 at 2:47 pm

You get a real down-to-earth success story and BNers are missing in action. You post a “move back to Nigeria” story, and they’re all over the place, even though that repat is only still contemplating the move. Na wa.

8. Tinu Odunsi

August 14, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Very inspiring. This are the kind of stories that appeal and more realistic to Nigerians and Africa as a whole. It’s doable/feasible/attainable! It’s not all about the elite, they are few among us. Cos person wey dem no born inside rich home, wetin make the person do? Dem no go fit return go back inside belle, go back to heaven, come ask God to reassign them to rich man house na abi? No regular pickin wey read this kain story go know say heaven no dey give return receipt\flight so no to manage with wetin dey earth come build your own wealth like this corn woman. Ehen.. so therefore, BN should please make more efforts at gathering stories like this.

-BabyDee

9. Tinu Odunsi

August 14, 2015 at 4:07 pm

*na *na

10. imose

August 14, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Such an inspiring piece …. I have no excuse !!

11. Lilo

August 14, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Wow. Inspiring

12. Joe

August 15, 2015 at 5:47 am

This is really an inspirational story.I am from Cameroon and in my town call Victoria,around my neighborhood i also know of a woman who built her house by the money she got from selling roasted corn and plums .She is a widow and has 3 kids and 2 grand kids.Such stories are so inspirational.God bless

13. Pat

August 15, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Wow interestong story. That pear in the pic! Oh gosh! I want.

14. letty

August 15, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Ankara and fabric sellers are rich. My great aunt raised 9 kids from frying the best akara in town. Whatever you do be the best at it and God will crown your efforts with joy.

15. chee

December 11, 2015 at 12:03 pm

How I love d humans of lagos! Please keep updating ur Facebook page!