News

Lagos Husband Seeks to Dissolve 25-Year Marriage Over Wife’s Lateness in Preparing Meals

NAN

dreamstime_l_43772157

An Ikorodu Customary Court, Lagos, on Tuesday dissolved a 25-year-old marriage, between Olufade and his wife, Olusola, over lateness in preparing meals.

President of the court, Olu Adebiyi, who dissolved the marriage, said there was “no longer any love in the marriage.’’

Adebiyi said that the court had tried several times to reconcile their differences but all efforts proved abortive.

“Therefore, you have ceased to be husband and wife, henceforth. I put an end to the union between both of you from today in the interest of peace,” he said.

The 57-year-old husband had told the court that his wife does not cook for him regularly and when she does, the food comes late.

“My wife had failed in her matrimonial obligations; she doesn’t prepare my food on time, I have warned her several times but she wouldn’t listen to me. Most times I go to the canteen to eat when I am hungry, there is no point in harbouring a wife that makes me hungry. In fact, my sister saw me there one of these days, I am totally fed up.

“Please separate us, I am no more interested in the marriage.’’

However, the 45-year-old respondent denied all the allegations and accused her husband of wanting to take another wife.

“He is accusing me wrongly because he wants to take another wife, please help me beg him.”

Photo Credit: Sjors737/Dreamstime.com

1. Babym

August 12, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Buhahahaha i found this so hilarious. Divorces in customary courts are just something else that is how i heard one man divorced his wife in customary court because her breast was no longer ‘standing’ lmao, smh

• red

August 12, 2015 at 5:05 pm

cases in customary court generally na drama. heheheheheheheh

2. whocares

August 12, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Any time I read these ridiculous things, and I read another “please help me beg him” from the woman involved, I die a little inside.

• Tiki

August 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Don’t let yourself feel bad. A 45 year old, most likely semi-educated woman grew up in an era where all that was expected from her was to learn how to cook, clean, wash clothes and bear children. If she hasn’t had to fend for herself other than a little buyam-sellam on the side, the thought of having to learn this at 45, coupled with the stigma of divorce and the fear of dying alone, will lead her to beg.

While we teach women of all ages to empower themselves, we NEED to also teach men of all ages to respect the women they have made vows to.

• Olu

August 12, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Men of ALL ages???

OK…go and teach an 80-yr old man something new …good luck with that

• jennyleks

August 16, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Na wa o sum men nor get shame

3. Mr. Donald

August 12, 2015 at 12:28 pm

make …. him go prepare am nah ….. is not a must that the woman …… must be the one to cook

4. bn lover

August 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I hate all this divorce drama. Nigerian man tries to divorce wife cause she didn’t cook,Nigerian man tries to divorce wife cause she can’t do the do,Nigerian man tries to divorce wife cause she born plenty children,Nigerian man tries to divorce wife cause she no born boy or geh,Nigerian man tries to divorce wife cause she’s not assisting financially in d house. And the list goes on and on and now this one kuku see food but he want divorce cause she’s late. After 25 years,u want 2 leave her cause she serves u late. Tunder na emm get u. U dey craze sef. Ur hand bend? Do u know how many times my dad had to cook 4 d house?? Put us to bed? Bath us in d morning and take us to school? He never complained or tried to divorce my mother. He understood she was struggling wit her career and dis is a supposedly old school man ohhh. And u Mr,New school want to leave ur wife because…..? See if u don tire,say so….dont make her look bad. That is why I think I like dis gay thing small. Cause in their union no body is slaving for the other. Unlike dis marriage tin where the man tinks he’s doing the woman some kind of favour. I don vex 4 dis matter. Warrisit sef. Na only men dey dis world? U people want too much….arrrrggggggggggg

5. olu

August 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

The guy say e no dey do again – he came to this world to eat and he cant cook for himself. Why you want make dem beg am again na? because you have no life without him ..and the culture will blame you for not cooking on time?

Women need to be stop depending on husbands so they can walk away whenever necessary. Go get urself a job and stop living with that baby. Dang!

6. Flakky

August 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm

This is why I always preach financial independence to every woman. ‘Housewifery’ has not done most women any good. I bet there would be no need to beg in such a ridiculous case if she could easily get back on her feet. Please be wise

7. Turayo

August 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm

25 years though. Over lateness of food??? You serious??? Even restaurants don’t serve you your main meal immediately you sit down. Wow, woman don suffer. So the husband has been eating out for 25 years….bros, that’s a bit wasteful. This is not a new couple oh. They got married in 1990 then….do courts also grant women divorce on such a flimsy reason?

Seriously????? Over lateness of food???? But you still got food though.

8. Unique

August 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Let me laugh out a bit, hahahahaha

The ridiculous things that married couples divorces on. I mean did you married her only for cooking your meal? Marriage of 25yrs just went down the drain like that, so sad. I guess the woman would have done that earlier if she had her own means of survival. The woman was even begging him, thats pathetic.
    Young ladies coming up please dont depend on any man for your sustenance.
    A coin is enough for the prudent ones

9. Zeeebby

August 12, 2015 at 1:57 pm

They just look for stupid excuses when they get tired…. So annoying

10. MAn

August 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Cry my a River ladies, its a man’s world…don’t let the Kim Kardashian’s and Nikki Minaj’s of this world fol you….now get inside the kitchen ancook me a meal!

• fd62kola

August 12, 2015 at 5:55 pm

shite!! i mistakingly loved this troll’s comment.. arrrgggggh

11. nene+

August 12, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Sigh!! Women who marry without a job,craft,handiwork to sustain themselves are in a big mess.
    She served you 25? what exactly does the man do that he doesn’t help out? artisan? Serve you food steadily along raising children without a nanny for 25 years . This man fear God nowwww and she was even begging. Servitude! If she doesn’t beg who will accommodate her? Her parent might be late.
    Third-world countries have a long way to go. Our traditions of the woman being the lesser of the partner has to stop, but it wont stop if our ladies keep depending on their husbands.

12. Mabel

August 12, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Like she said, he already has her replacement at hand and has come up with a lame excuse to get out of the marriage. She married a man twelve years her senior and gave him the best years of her life, then he gets to put her away when he is satisfied that he has gotten all of her young years. He knew what he was up to from day 1. 45 is not old in truth, she could still bounce back from this situation if she puts her mind to it. As most commenters have already said, make your money, stash something for a rainy day because it’s still very much a man’s world out here.

13. Tinkerbel

August 12, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Women have begged men not to be divorced for much worse reasons that will make your skin crawl…I don’t judge her for begging. She’s only trying to survive

14. Emeana daniel prince

August 12, 2015 at 10:47 pm

sum tymes i luk at nigerian men nd i say to myself God has realy blesed us wit wisdom.mr.man if u knw u are tired of d relationship y nt com out straight wat kind of excuse is late cooking after 25yrs of marriage,ahah!at least consider d woman nw,u are a man u can easily re-mary but wat abt d 45yrs mama,bros try to b considerate pls ehn!

15. yes?

August 13, 2015 at 10:31 am

Hehehe..orisirisi

16. princevinco

August 13, 2015 at 11:13 pm

This is unfortunate that the basic role a married woman should perform, which is preparing and serving food to her husband is causing the breakage of this marriage. Soon, this woman will realize that it is better to stay married than been divorced.. Sooner or later, another man who may have been influencing her not to take care of her husband will abandon her as that man may never marry her.

17. Angiee

August 14, 2015 at 12:57 pm

@prinevinco, i don’t even know what to say to you right now. like seriously? it’s your kind that will divorce their wives becos of stupid reasons like this. Lord have mercy on you.

• nwanyi na aga aga

August 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm

You bothered to respond to someone bent that way on his profile pix or uses that kind of pix as a pf?..loool!

18. Orishirishi

August 16, 2015 at 1:37 pm

@princevinco your type is one of the reasons a woman should look well before she enters.it obvious u are bush and belong to those group of men that enslaves their wives.