Scoop

So Fab! Cast of Hit Series ‘Empire’ + Weeknd & Jourdan Dunn Get Stylish for Vogue Magazine

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

empire-cast-vogue-september-2015-01Empire is one of the hottest shows on TV right now and it’s as much about the interesting storyline as it is about the stellar cast.

From the Lyon clan with Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollet, Trai Byers and Bryshere Y. Grey to guest appearances from Naomi Campbell, Estelle and more; Empire is one show that has kept us glued to our TV screens.

The cast members (alongside Weeknd and Jourdan Dunn) are featured in an editorial for Vogue magazine where they talk about how the show has impacted their lives.

empire-cast-vogue-september-2015-03 empire-cast-vogue-september-2015-04 empire-cast-vogue-september-2015-05 empire-cast-vogue-september-2015-02

Read excerpts below.

Jussie Smollett on coming out in Empire and on Ellen: I talked to my mom and I talked to Lee and Taraji before I went on Ellen. Not for approval. But I respect and love them so much that their support means a lot. It’s deep and it’s happy and it’s sad and it’s strange—growing up, you are bred to feel alone. You’re trained to feel that you’re less than. And that’s when it’s the village’s job—and I don’t mean the West Village!—to cradle their arms around you and let you know that you’re not just OK, but you’re perfect.

Lee Daniels on the success of Empire: When you get put in a trash can and told you’re nothing at five years old, nothing scares you. You are fearless. You have to listen to your inner voice. And the minute you start listening to the establishment, and the minute you start buying into what ‘they’ believe, is when you lose. So you have to be willing to risk it all—all the time.

Terrence Howard on playing Homophobic Lucious: I’ll just be honest. I was raised behind the homophobic curtain. When I was like eight years old, my father stood me and my three brothers in front of him. ‘Are any of y’all some sissies? If I find out any of you are some sissies, I’ll cut your throat.’ From the moment when they had the guys kissing in the first 20 minutes of the pilot, I was like, ‘You’re going to lose everyone. Black people are going to change the channel! Men are going to change the channel!’ I had the same views that had been programmed into so many of us. And then Jussie became my best, best friend. It was like seeing life from a whole other perspective. I was never a bigot before. At least I didn’t think I was. But I was definitely prejudiced. I wouldn’t have allowed my son to have a gay friend . . . in the past. And now I’d be like, ‘That’s your friend.’ Something’s changed in me.

Read more from their feature here.

Photo Credit: Vogue.com

1. bruno

August 15, 2015 at 9:41 am

” I’ll just be honest. I was raised behind
    the homophobic curtain. When I was like eight
    years old, my father stood me and my three
    brothers in front of him. ‘Are any of y’all some
    sissies? If I find out any of you are some sissies,
    I’ll cut your throat.’”

homophobia is truely a learned behaviour.nobody is born to hate gay people

oya bellanaija commenters be truthful, who thought u to hate gay people. was it the bible or quran or your father or mother or ur school teacher or pastor. be truthful

2. bruno

August 15, 2015 at 9:53 am

I remember some few weeks ago, someone in the comment section wrote that she and her husband are going to tell their kids that gay people are like thieves and murderers, that gay people are bad people..

I was totally shocked. first of all u are feeding ur kids with lies. for u to teach ur kids to hate someone without getting to know them, isnt that wicked of u?

pls stop teaching ur children homophobia. it was the teachers in my secondary school that thought us homophobia. they told us all sorts of fabricated silly stories about gay people which I later found out that they were all lies. the pastor also thought us homophobia, using the bible.the pastors thought us to hate gay people.

so pls tell us, who thought u how to hate gay people, who thought u homophobia? be truthful

the same way u teach ur kids to hate gay people is the same way some white people teach their kids to hate black people.

all these ignorance is learned.

• Lucious Lyon

August 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

There’s a difference between ‘hating something/someone’ and finding ‘something/someone repulsive’..Hate is a strong word..I believe most people don’t hate gay people, they just find their sexuality absurd…it’s sickening, it’s abnormal…

• bruno

August 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm

There’s a difference between ‘hating
      something/someone’ and finding
      ‘something/someone repulsive’..Hate is a
      strong word..I believe most people don’t
      hate black people, they just find their
      skin colour and hair texture absurd…it’s sickening, it’s abnormal…

this is how so many white people feel about u and ur skin colour and ur hair texture and the shape of ur nose.

u didn’t still answer my question tho. who thought u to hate or dislike gay people? dont lie, tell us.

• Kimberly Binion

August 16, 2015 at 5:18 am

Bruno, the Bible doesn’t teach hate of gays; it teaches that gays are an abomination of God. There are many scriptures referring to this. Jonah’s Ark had two of every kind of animal to go forth and multiply, which same sex couples can not do. Gays were molested, not predisposed. My high school friends, male, said their mom’s boyfriend turned them out. Truth.

3. Bobo

August 15, 2015 at 10:27 am

Aww..see my baby Jourdan 🙂

4. ENNY**

August 15, 2015 at 11:18 am

I wasn’t told anything about gay people. Gayism was simply unnatural and therefore non-existent. But when it started becoming popular, & a lot of people started (accepting) it, I remember my dad telling us “I can’t control most things you do when u grow up, but whatever it is you wanna do, remember where you came from and at the end of the day make sure your conscience is clear”.
    I cannot support homosexuality cos I can’t shake the feeling of “this ain’t right” from my mind.
    Having said that, I’ve had lots of friends but my gay bff in uni is one of the best persons I’ve ever met.

5. Ona

August 15, 2015 at 11:45 am

Gbamest! @ Bruno.

Same goes for learned tribalistic ideals. We have been force-fed so much ignorance for yonks that we grow up believing that they are the gospel truth but then gasp in horror when the same ignorance is used to judge/oppress us. The least we can do as adults is to learn the truth for ourselves and stop running around gulping this crowd mentality ideas like jim jone’s koolaid.

6. St.Yves

August 15, 2015 at 11:54 am

There’s actually no reason to hate anyone, whether gay or straight. For me the feeling is “indifference”. I’d say stick to what you believe and let the other person be. God is the judge of all. We are so obsessed with fishing for other people’s wrong doings that in so doing so we commit sin with our thoughts, speeches and deeds.

7. Busarni

August 15, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Bruno if you are so proud of your beliefs, upload your pictures on Your BN dp. Till you do that, i cant take you serious. Comic relief you will always be….

8. nikky

August 15, 2015 at 12:20 pm

This show is a lot more than its gay story line.

9. Udegbunam Chukwudi

August 15, 2015 at 12:25 pm

This babalawo dress again?! Gosh.

10. Mimi May

August 15, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Busarni, u hv said it all. I give u an e hug. Bruno’s mind is warped. He’s twisted. BN, pls ignore him. Like I said before, he’s ignorant and is in deep darkness. Comic relief though.

• Girlbeingreal

August 15, 2015 at 9:11 pm

His “warped mind” is the reason why he will always be a greater human than you are. He’s not held down by the same bigotry and ignorant views that hold you down.

11. Tomi (Tommyray)

August 15, 2015 at 11:33 pm

The show is Epic! but, i must confess, am homophobic, i cant stand it o..