Features

A Peek Into the Life Of…Head Chef – Tomi ‘Imoteda’ Aladeokomo

We made a call for BellaNaija readers to be a part of a new exciting feature, titled A Peek Into The Life Of‘ which the Features Team has been working on. {Click here if you missed it} We’ve been very excited by the feedback we’ve received and we’re happy with the submissions we’ve been receiving. It feels so good to get to know our readers better – what they do. So far, we’ve had four interestingly diverse features. Deyemi OkanlawonChinedu Anarado Jennifer Akporehe and Tosan Iwere.

Presenting Adetomi ‘Imoteda’ Aladeokomo – Head Chef at Heels in the Kitchen

IMG_0073Job title
Chief Everything Officer at Heels In the Kitchen

What you do specifically?
I am the Head Chef for HITK and also the creator and hostess of the upcoming show Heels in the Kitchen.

Core responsibilities
I cook! Lol. The company is divided into two parts. Food service and the TV show. For the food service aspect I do mostly cooking and I create menus that cater to client’s needs. I supervise all branding and packaging, deal directly with customers (because I’m a control freak) and test out new recipes and products. For the TV show which is in pre-production right now, I write up recipes, compile guest lists, work with the stylist to get all the outfits perfect (yay fun!), and chase money (no fun)

IMG_20150420_193904 IMG_20150501_203249 IMG_20150609_022426 IMG_20150616_094340

How long have you been at this job?
About a year now.

Highlights of your job
The food!!! I am literally paid to play with flavours and tastes. I love to cook so being able to spend my days thinking about nothing but food is pretty exciting. I also get to engage with a lot of different people from all works of life and that’s amazing.

Downsides of your job
The food. I’ve gained so much weight! There is no real downside just yet. I’m doing something I love so I don’t have much to complain about.

If you weren’t doing this, what would you be doing?
I would be doing makeup full time. I was a makeup artist for 8 years before I made the switch to the culinary world.
May16th_01-19
On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade your skill set at this job?
I’m probably a 7 right now. There is still so much room for me to grow and learn and I work at that every day.
I’m living my career dream. Yes? No?
Yes!Chef Imo-27

Don’t you just LOVE LOVE LOVE Chef Imoteda? Now let’s take a peek into her daily routine…

TYPICAL BUSY WORK DAY
5:30am – 7am: Wake up, shower, make notes and lists for the day
7am – 9am: Prep food orders going out for the day. Breakfast
9am – 11am: Cook and package meal orders
11am – 12:30pm: Send out meal orders, deliver some if the demand is heavy that day
12:30pm-1:30pm: Break, gather self, eat. Watch food network
1:30pm – 3pm: Research recipes, grocery shopping.
3pm – 5pm: Test kitchen. Try out new recipes. Take pictures for the blog
5pm – 7pm: Check and respond to emails. Review work done by vendors (websites, graphics, branding, financials)
7pm – 9pm: Dinner, back to test kitchen.
9pm – 10:30pm: Review day. Make notes. Prep for the next day.
10:30pm-1:30am: Online research. Create mood boards, type up recipes. Google interesting foods. Watch videos on youtube.
1:30am-5:30am: Sleep

How great is it to actually do what you love and earn an income for your efforts! Find out more about Heels In The Kitchen by clicking HERE.

We can’t wait to read about you! Send your entries without delay.

1. larz

September 8, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Well done.

But you might need to delegate more. 4 hrs sleep per day? It sounds like you will get burnt out in no time

• Imoteda

September 8, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Hi there! Working on the delegation bit. But to be honest I just don’t sleep that much. I have bad sleepign habits. Even if I get into bed at 10:30 (and I do most times) I don’t actually sleep till 1 or so. I just fiddle around on my computer.
      But delegation is coming! I’m too hands on right now

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 8, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Heels in the Kitchen, you say? To refrain dear Alice – “Curiouser and curiouser” … it sounds like an intriguing enterprise. And pray tell, madam, what tasty treat have you conjured up in the first photo of plated food above? I’m trying to work out what lies beneath the spiral (closest thing I could come up with was an apple?)

There can be no downsides to a career involving food. Just none, whatsoever and I’m sighing wistfully because you’re living my alternate reality. And yes, even the issue of putting on weight doesn’t count as a downside to my mind. 🙂 I enjoyed the glimpse into your world, madam “Chief.Everything.Officer” 🙂

• Imoteda

September 8, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Thanks!! I appreciate the positive comments. And yea there really aren’t any downsides to dealing with food. lol
      The first picture if a bacon wrapped chicken breast stuffed with pesto and smoked gouda cheese with topped with even more pesto and a side salad of mixed greens, feta cheese and mandarin orange pieces.

3. x-factor

September 8, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Wow…impressed

4. whocares

September 8, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Ahh you devious woman. See how you made me briefly hate my job. lol. Did a bit of sleuthing for my fellow Bners about the food show : sheleadsafrica.org/#!heels-in-the-kitchen/c18ld- that is really impressive isnt it?
    Your day though *wipes brows* , gods know I cannot be a chef. I love food, I love shows about food, so I will definitely keep an eye out for your show.

5. ElessarisEllendil

September 8, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Chai! see food! real “ejekom beh lawyer”. Too mush!!.

6. Simi

September 8, 2015 at 6:52 pm

God is good o. Please if you are looking for food tasters, I don’t mind. Good to see people doing what they they love. More grease to your elbows Chef!

7. A fan

September 8, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Please can you add prayers to your daily routine…it will help you when you will never expect it..thanks

• Italian Princess

September 9, 2015 at 9:08 am

You’re part of what is wrong with Nigeria

• sassy chic

September 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

No dear he/she isnt. Prayer is one of d essentials of having a very good day even with all your routines. You should try it sometimes

• somewhereinTexas

September 9, 2015 at 1:18 pm

so bc she didn’t put she prays –she doesn’t pray in the morning or whenever? you ppl slay me. Nigerians mehn (assuming)

! take care of the peg in your eye first. Even the bible says ….thanks!

• Tola

September 9, 2015 at 5:08 pm

“But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”
      ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬
      bible.com/116/mat.6.6.nlt

8. dobby

September 14, 2015 at 6:17 am

Now this is one pretty hardworking lady.

9. Deep Soul

October 5, 2015 at 3:44 pm

1. Because she didn’t add prayer does not mean she actually doesn’t pray
    2. Even if she really doesn’t pray, how is it your business??

We live in a country where we are constantly bombarded with overly religious “zeal”, she doesn’t need a total stranger on the internet telling her whether or not to pray .

Funny enough, I was going through all the “Peek Into” features and I couldn’t help but notice how they all had prayer as No. 1.

I look around me everyday, even with simple tasks like driving, I hardly see traces of all the “religiousness” Nigerians are known for.

No, I’m not the writer. Yes, I’m a Christian.

Kudos Imoteda!

10. Queen

December 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Great job Tomi! I am truly inspired by your success. God bless you more.
    I bet you she prays…………….. otherwise she wouldn’t be where she is today! She has had her challenges too and so does everyone.