Scoop

Celebrating Hardworking Nigerians! Watch Battabox’ Feature of Street Labourers Who Earn 1500 Naira a Day!

BellaNaija.com

These are Nigerians who do back breaking work to survive. They go out to the streets, trying to make the barest minimum to feed their children and put clothes on their backs.

They are human beings like you and they have aspirations and dreams just like you.

The stories of these men and women are not often told. So, the guys at Battabox have turned their spotlight in their direction, to highlight this sub-sect of our society that forms a vital part of our existence as a people.

Today, we celebrate the street labourers of Nigeria and we applaud their hard work. We hope for better and safer working conditions for them for the improvement of the quality of their lives.

Watch the feature here:

1. I'mJustSayn'

September 3, 2015 at 11:13 am

Now slapping myself for complaining about my job

2. Sugar

September 3, 2015 at 11:19 am

A friend of mine who is a graduate earns N40,000 every month. so what is the difference of working in an office and its still the same pay of a labourer because if you multiply 2000 x 20days its 40k. The only difference is that she’s enjoying Air Conditioner. Some graduates even earn lower, its so pathetic.

• didigal

September 3, 2015 at 11:57 am

like seriously…im not complaining about my Job but something needs to be done about living conditions in this country…some basic things need to be provided for….last month i told a bike (okada) man living close to my house to give me his phone number so i could call him to pick me up in the mornings by 4:50 am and drop me off at the bus stop. He was amazed that i would have to leave my house as a woman before 5:00am and take public transport, just so i could get to work on time…in his own words…’Nawa for this country o! Person wey no go school go suffer even person wey go school sef go still suffer’

• olorire

September 4, 2015 at 10:23 am

so true!!!

3. jasmine

September 3, 2015 at 11:59 am

I can’t type much. Dear Lord, I just want to make more money to help every body far and around me. And if i’ll change and not help people, let me not be as rich as Ibriamovhic, but just comfortable to help people around me. Amen. (lol)

4. Tosin

September 3, 2015 at 12:53 pm

<3 Yoruba

5. cheryl

September 3, 2015 at 1:13 pm

i dnt knw, but this actually put tears on my face, see collagues asking me wats wrong, d tin is it actually reminds me of my dad’s early days, somtyms he oes thre with my brothers, coming bck home and swallow pain killers, now that things looks smooth and he his supposed 2 sit back and flex, death decided to take him.. well i cant question God, it isnt easy to do dis job and have all ur kids in school, to d Glory of God d six of us are all graduates with 2 abroad and d rest doing really gr8,some ppl live better than these ppl and still complain, this post is supposed to make u all thank God for every situation u find urself, yes some graduates earn farr less, infact i knw som1 with masters dat was offered a less dan 30k job and she still took it cos of d economy situation, people, lets b gr8ful

6. Oloye

September 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Sad no doubt! But most importantly, in our ‘morning’ days let’s try to master an art – formal or informal. I paid my tailor 10k for 2 attires over the weekend and pay my dry-cleaner 8k monthly. My illiterate mechanic has has about 40 clients – he gets minimum of 5k from me in a month.

Let’s strive and learn a trade in our early days – formal or informal. I earn 500k plus monthly but again I have just enrolled for photography classes and preparing for my agric biz next year. Ko’si ere ni Mosco…

If all you spend your life doing today is 419 (yahoo yahoo etc.), what will you spend the rest of your life doing when that is no longer working? Most of these pple wasted their youthful ages (that’s the truth).

• Banke

September 3, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I wouldn’t say they wasted their youthful days doing nothing. Some people aren’t just fortunate enough. You are right about learning skills… no matter how much you know, there still would be space to learn something else.

Myself for example, my task is to fluently learn french speaking and writing before I turn 25 and I’m 23… after that, German. There’s beauty is learning!

• Banke

September 3, 2015 at 1:43 pm

in*

• ola

September 3, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Mr 500k i beg where you dey work?

• Manny

September 4, 2015 at 1:50 am

hmmm Oloye You can master an art, have property, good job etc and all it takes is to have one big illness like that in a country with no health insurance. Before you know it, all is gone. Sometimes it could be fire and poof! There are people who were skilled in Syria yet doing similar labor work in Lebanon. There are medical drs from Syria doing menial labor as refugees. You cannot just see these people and conclude that “Most of these pple wasted their youthful ages”

I hate it when people blame people for being poor. I personally know a tailor whose husband vandalized all her machines, he always beat her too. Eventually he threw her out with the children. At the time I met this women, she was doing alaru at mile 12 to pay school fees. If battabox had interviewed her doing alaru, would you have said she wasted her “morning”

It’s not as easy as you make it sound. Some people have so many odds stacked against them, it’s unbelievable. Know the circumstances of people before concluding that they were lazy in their youth.

One of the women in the video talked about having grinding machine but they are broken (which breaks my heart because to repair it might be little money). When you talk about mastering an art, there are artisans that have had to turn to something else. Keep in mind that our expenses are different, your mechanic might not have a sick mother, a sick father, younger ones in school etc Another mechanic might which might necessitate doing menial labor

7. Lala

September 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I feel sorry, but if you earn 40k or below, stick to having 2 kids. If you exceed that, you are the architect of your own poverty.
    By the way, (I know it’s unrelated), but, why do black men chose not to wear condoms, either for family planning or to stay safe.
    Spoke with a married couple and the Nigerian husband insists the wife must use the pill despite obvious side effects on her as he cannot afford to not have ‘direct’ contact. I am beginning to believe the stats in the West that black people have the highest hiv rates. I disputed it on the grounds that white folks- with their high levels of sexual activities and drunken orgies every weekend would most likely be at higher risk of infection- but it does appear that even in their drunken state, they remember a condom.

Sorry it’s off topic, but if our people use condoms, then they don’t have to have battalion of children and maybe, just maybe, the proceeds of their labour can go further.
    Imagine recurrent expenditure for the Nigerian government is 60-70% of annual budget- same for many families 70-80% of monthly income is spent feeding battalions and little to nothing left for self development. Like people like government?

• Soraya

September 3, 2015 at 6:54 pm

@Lala, easy said if you have access to information about family planning. Also, there is a need for intensive education about family planning, especially in northern Nigeria where people are so unbelievably ignorant. Also, you have to bear in mind the cost of family planning methods as well and not all methods work!

8. Senga

September 4, 2015 at 7:04 am

I wish coul find the lady who’s pepper machine broke… Some problems are so easily fixed. Exploitation !!!! Over 10hrs work for peanuts.. I salute .. God bless them

• thathausachic

September 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Go to Batta Box on youtube and I guess you can contact them and they get back to you.:)