News

Have You Registered for Your BVN? 26 Million Bank Accounts to be Frozen

BellaNaija.com

bvn1

People queuing outside a bank to do BVN registeration before deadline

BellaNaijarians, have you gotten your Bank Verification Number (BVN) yet? The deadline is in less than 24 hours, and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says the deadline may not be extended this time.

According to Vanguard, less than half of the 52 million bank customers have been registered. Consequently, about 26 million bank accounts will be frozen.

An unnamed CBN employee is said to have told newsmen that “the registration window would still be opened after tomorrow, but unregistered customers would not be allowed access to their accounts.”

Photo Credit: Vanguard

1. Fred

October 30, 2015 at 11:30 am

About freezing 26 millions acc……………..yea right!! thats a recipe for Economic Catastrophe!! the Economy will defo falter if not collapse!! #Nobrainer

2. Beeeee

October 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

For those we have their BVN numbers but have not linked to other accounts, you can link your BVN to your GTB account at any GTB ATM.

• Beeeee

October 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm

*who

3. Oladayo Asabi

October 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Awesome.

4. or

October 30, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Freeze what??? My money? Any time I get to my Bank I will give them my BVN number.

Please Nigerians CBN is’nt seizing your monies.

Imagine that some people travelled to Nigeria from wherever to do BVN?

CBN is passing a wrong info Nigerians. No body and I say no one will sieze your monies.

5. Anonymous

October 30, 2015 at 3:16 pm

What is it with Nigerians in authority and not thinking right?! Who even came up with this? They wake up one morning and say “get your BVN” and the only places for Nigerians abroad to go is either London, the UAE, Hong Kong or some other place I can’t be bothered to remember. Really?! Those are the only places Nigerians can be found?! Or are we expected to pay travel and hotel expenses for this BVN? On top wetin?! They should freeze the accounts if they like. Rubbish!

6. GANNY. OGUNSHAKIN. (USA)

October 30, 2015 at 5:10 pm

This is utterly ridiculous on the part of Central bank of Nigeria. Another way for the Government of Nigeria to Steal money from her citizens. I will personally take the Nigerian Government to court over this money grabbing policy. My late father has an account opened with the Union bank of Nigeria at Kakawa, Lagos. While my late aunt has another account with another bank on broad street also in Lagos. Not to talk about my very own bank account isotherm Savannah bank on broad street Lagos. Can someone in this government tell what’s going to happen to all the money inside those accounts. I am a Nigerian / American Citizen currently living in the United States of America. Central bank of Nigeria and Nigerian government you can not steal money, my late father and his Sister earned legally through one of your Thieving policies, neither will I permit you to steal mine neither. A word is enough for the wise.

7. ATL's finest

October 30, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Like as if it helps to prevent frauds.. Freeze fire so those in Overseas should fly down because of this? Mtchew

• nnenne

October 31, 2015 at 1:23 am

Hunny, they had my husband running like they cut off his tail.! He made the trip in a week. You can imagine how stressful that is.

• ATL's finest

November 1, 2015 at 12:26 am

@ Nnena pel oh.. Ur hubby is a better person than myself and my parents lol.. First they ve to realize that not everyone heard of this act or even know the meaning. Older folks for example that don’t visit Nigerian blogs they ve no clue. So except them want make people burn their bank down for a lot of reason. Too many cease in Nigeria I kid u not.

8. Pretty girl

October 30, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Come oh make u na no use me take play oh I don’t want to here any story when I try to withdraw my money from Canada with my nig atm. Nobody should take my money.

• ATL's finest

November 1, 2015 at 12:27 am

Lol @ make dem no use u play ok! I’m telling U imma go ratchet on someone’s ass that’s for real.

9. FasholasLover

November 2, 2015 at 1:23 am

Stupid decision ever. Imagine traveling to Leicester yesterday to do BVN. Very efficient/friendly lot at the Peepul centre though. Whole process plus queuing took less than 30mins. But, l froze when the lady who took my details said my BVN will be text’d to me from Nigeria by the CBN. (Even the Lady thot that was a most “stupidest” idea) If l do not hear from the CBN in two weeks, l should return to Leicester or send someone to enquire on my behalf. Lekwa trouble!

Wasted time and money that could have bn used for better things. Mtscheeeeeeeeeeew.

10. FasholasLover

November 2, 2015 at 1:26 am

Haaaaa, it’s Monday already. Went on Friday the 30th.

11. Dino

November 2, 2015 at 9:44 am

Pls wat about dose dat just opened an account like in the month of october or 2 weeks ago and dey don’t have the bvn?pls wat wil happen and what can I do

12. eze emmanuel

November 4, 2015 at 6:19 am

can u register in a bank u don’t have an account with

13. skyprince

November 20, 2015 at 1:02 am

na so Nigeria con be
    what is going on to my country
    we were the best before but now stolen of money has make us the bad once. can I speak to mr President you have change your promise from good to bad.
    anyway am living Spain next month if I can wedraws
    boko h we of the country will I pay with my last money to finish all the bank OK mark my word.