News

Teacher Flogs Student to Death in Ibadan

Moremi Elekwachi

death

School authorities must learn to draw the line between discipline and torture, as incidents of brutality against students appears to be on the rise.

We all remember the case of the promising female SS1 student who lost sight in one eye after being slapped by a school’s principal secretary. Also just the other day, the world was outraged when a video showing a South Carolina school officer grabbing an African-American female high school student from her chair, knocking her to the floor and dragging her across the classroom. There are so many instances too numerous to delineate.

And now, students of IMG Secondary School, Oke Ado, Ibadan, staged protests on Wednesday after a teacher at the school flogged a student to death, Daily Post reports.

The deceased, who is yet to be identified, was reportedly punished mercilessly for coming late to school.

In the aftermath of the student’s death, fellow students went on rampage at the school, destroying property. The protests eventually escalated to the point where teachers and administrative workers of the school fled.  Policemen eventually arrived at the scene.

According to an eyewitness:

“He (the deceased) told the teacher he came late due to illness. At that point, the principal, who was passing by asked the teacher the cause of the discussion. The principal ordered the teacher to flog the student for coming late and he slumped in the process. They tried to resuscitate him but it was too late.”

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Oyo State Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu, confirmed the incident, stating that investigations have commenced.

Photo Credit: Daily Post

Moremi Elekwachi is a Media and Communications expert. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the University of Georgia, and a Master’s Degree in Communication Management (with a concentration in Marketing communication) from the University of Southern California.She is Founder and Lead Publicist at Euphorique PR, a leading full-service Public Relations & Marketing Communications company that helps individuals, companies and public figures effectively communicate, engage, and build relationships with their target audiences & stakeholders via digital media and traditional media platforms.Prior to establishing Euphorique PR, Moremi gathered a wealth of experience, working at prestigious media companies both at home and abroad including Wondros (Los Angeles, CA), Wildflower PR, and also BellaNaija, where she served as News Editor & Head of Business Development.Moremi is also the founder of www.queenmoremi.com, a fresh platform dedicated to empowering and celebrating the modern African millennial woman, as she strives to live her best life.In her spare time, she loves to write, gossip about popular culture, and sing her heart out.@queenmoremi: Twitter@queenmoremi: Facebook @queenmoremi: Instagram

1. beauty

October 29, 2015 at 1:23 pm

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Toyosi

October 29, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Hmmm, this is just crazy. I got flogged 44 lashes in primary school because i scored 16 over 60 on a common entrance test in primary 3 never mind that i got the highest score on that said test. Thank God my house was just a street away from school, i got sick from the beating as i was about to deliver my first knock on the gate i just blacked out.
      when i woke up my mother had me in her arms, she literally ran with me like that to the hospital. when they asked me who did this to me, my voice was gone. came back after about a week though. i swear i will never forget Mr Awolola for that beating at D’alfred nursery & primary school (later changed to redeemers model school) bodija, Ibadan.

Beht this isn’t about me, bottom line is teachers should bloody know when to stop flogging or beating or even punishing. words will really help most times than trying to forcefully deform someone or even killing them in the process. He came late, so what? he gave an explanation. It’s not like he committed a felony and you decided to become a mob smh.

• Blessedheart

October 30, 2015 at 9:41 am

What?????!!!!!!

2. mrs chidukane

October 29, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Hmmm, where does one even start? I know I will be that mom that storms the school if my child is mistreated. I will be that mom that teaches my child how to refuse to serve punishment if he feels it’s unfair and unwarranted. I know how I was in hell in a Federal school because of wicked seniors and how kids who refused to conform were allowed to have their way. I know how the unfair treatment chipped away at my self esteem, I got depressed and my academics suffered till I had to change school. If this boy had refused to be punished, maybe he would have been alive today. This is a parents’ worst nightmare. I hope they’re jailed for this.

• Cindy

October 29, 2015 at 9:20 pm

As in…….I attended fggc akure and I’ve seen abuse first hand. No teacher will be beating my kids. Yes, let them spoil. Spoilt is better than dead.

• Mel

October 30, 2015 at 3:05 am

There has to be a balance, please don’t take it to the other extreme Spoiled rotten can also lead to disastrous outcome. I have lived in both the corporal punishment system and the American system and both have their major downfalls. I don’t know what the solution is, or where the middle ground is. I do know however that something needs to change on both spectrums,cause the fatalities are staggering..

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 30, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Nne spoilt is not better than dead o, Spoilt=Dead. Someone I know shot his mum who was a commissioner for women affairs point blank for not giving him 50k to smoke with. The young man in question was 35 years old then, schooled in the UK, given everything give able by his poor widowed hardworking mother who rose from the ranks of teaching to politics. Her only mistake, she spoilt her only son rotten which eventually led to her death.
      My take is teach your child how to be polite and how to demand their rights. I also went to a federal school, and I was constantly called a “tough prover”. If it seemed like injustice from my end of the spectrum , I will refuse the punishment shikena! If they like let them send me home, I will be ready with my own side of the story. In this case Why did a parent allow their sick child to attend school? what if a fellow classmate pushes him, he falls then faints? Such a child should be home on bed rest while the parent calls the school to excuse him for the period he is ailing.
      A balance should be found between punishing children and abusing them biko. Why flog a child for coming late? Has the toilets finished, grasses nko?

3. Jules

October 29, 2015 at 1:26 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. whocares

October 29, 2015 at 1:41 pm

YE! YE! AHHH… ahhhhhhh. ahhhhhhh. oh gosh the student’s parents. To lose your child in this circumstance. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,. This is such an unfortunate circumstance. The boy is ill why beat him. shebi to ba ran eyan ni ise eru, wa fi ti omo je (if you are asked to do something despicable, use your common sense?) the boy was ill and he still came to school yet you thought it was a good idea to beat him! oh this is tooooo sad. I hate wasteful and young deaths.. Punished mercilessly nonetheless heartless bastards.

5. Me

October 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

That’s murder. The teacher should be improsined for life.

• ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 4:14 pm

@ Me U are very right.. Jesus Christ.. What am I reading???? Hmmm listen y’al- growing up, my Mother don’t play even till this day. LongI story short. I was to pay N 60 for that lovely book of ours “My Father’s car”( Primary school) . She’s said I didn’t give her the money & I spent it off which I didn’t. She’s flogged me. I went home & my mother saw the mark on my skin. Remember earlier, I told U she’s don’t play.. As soon as the driver dropped us, my mother came down, used her head tie to tie her waist with a cane in her hands OMG I was ashamed to the core. She was landed that class, the first whopping on my wasn’t a JOKE. My teacher got saved by her pregnancy & other teachers my mom attended high school with. Then it didn’t get it but as I grew older , I realize a mother will do ANYTHING for her child. Ever since then, my teachers stayed in their lane. Even me soldiers at my school ( Army School) my tail my mom didn’t care. Let alone if THIS should happen.. Well I know my mother she will tell this person prepare ur own grave. Call her whatever she DON’T care.

• ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 4:16 pm

*teacher*

• ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 4:39 pm

@ BN where’s my prevw comment?

• George

November 2, 2015 at 8:00 am

How will an adult write in this manner?????

6. Me

October 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

*imprisoned

7. Bleed Blue

October 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I felt such a stab of pain reading this.

How can parents leave their kids for you to teach and nurture for a few hours every week day and then come back to pick up a corpse? I am so so so upset by this news.

8. Idomagirl

October 29, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I hope this teacher is jailed.

9. Babe

October 29, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Nigerian teachers taking out their frustrations on students as usual! ! ! ! !

I feel so bad for the parents. That teacher should be locked up for life!!!

10. Ije

October 29, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I hope this savage of a teacher is improsoned and tortured everyday while incacerated. I know first hand how cruel these people can be all in the name of discipline. I went to one of those military schools in Lagos and the way those sargeants brutalized us left a lot to be desired. I remember an incident when the whole class was being punished. I was in JS1 and not more than 10 years old. When it got to my turn, I raised up my arm to cover the careless strikes of cane the bastard was raining on my little skinny body and bam! The sorry S.O.B. ripped the side of my arm open with a particularly forceful strike of the cane. How one can use so much force on another human being-a little girl for that matter, beats me till date. I immidiately developed a fever and had to go home. I’m 31 now and it still makes my blood boil everytime I see the scar. Needless to say my parents had a lot to say about it, especially my father who is usually a very calm, easy going man and NEVER raised a hand against his children in an attempt to discipline us. He looked that stupid sargeant in the eye and made it clear that under no circumstance was he to ever touch me again. Ever. I think the message was clear enough because I don’t remember ever being flogged again while I was there-not by him or anyone else.

11. Ada

October 29, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Mehn this is sad o! Very sad. My family friend who is a teacher once flogged her student and a bit of the cane broke off and flew into the boy’s eyes and caused serious injury o. The wahala was unimaginable. He didn’t lose his sight, he didn’t hate the teacher either, he uses glasses now though and the teacher stopped carrying cane totally.
    Sometimes devil dey follow put hand for this thing o. I won’t complain if my child is punished reasonably but if the child no well, I no go send am go school at all at all o!

• slice

October 29, 2015 at 7:39 pm

So its the mothers fault?.

• Bruness

October 30, 2015 at 6:15 am

@ Ada I agree with you, I won’t complain if my child is punished reasonably. I am more of a spare the rod and spoil the child kinda parent. But not sending your child to school @ all @ all if he’s sick doesn’t still solve anything because a cane happy teacher will still find reason to punish a student unnecessarily and we know some kids make it easy. I know a case in an all girls school where a girl started a cult like group that tortures younger students, she made tee shirts with skulls and branded their names on it, then there was another case of a primary school student who positioned a biro horizontal style and let his sit mate sit on it, use your imagination on how it turned out. Sometimes these teachers get carried away because of the characters and attitude put up by students and let’s not forget that some teachers are saddled with the job of straightening out these kids more than their parents do, BUT in this case the principal and the teacher failed to make the punishment suit the crime and should be punished. In my little cousins school if you come late and you say you re sick they send you back home, if you come late to school they make you stand outside your class for 15 minutes while others take classes and take the 15 minutes from your break time to copy notes you missed, you need to see her every morning hassling her dad to hurry up so she won’t be late because her break is important to her. That’s punishment enough.

12. nene'sma

October 29, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This is so sad, kid came late because. He was ill and instead of school authority to show care, principal ordered for him to be flogged. I think the parents should sue both the principal and the said teacher. Too sad!

13. Jojo

October 29, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Principal and teacher should both be charged with murder. Nothing else to say in the matter.
    Why is corporal punishment not banned in this society? It is not an effective way of teach any lessons or communicating anything other than unnecessary pain, hurt, death emotional scars and everything in between

14. La' valve

October 29, 2015 at 3:14 pm

My 5yrs old son had a similar case in a private Montessori school whereby a teacher who is also a mother keep asking her pupil to do Frog Jump till they welt out. My boy keep complaining of keen pains, i had to squeeze him out. He said the teacher would kill him if he dose tell his parent including the other kids in his class. Trust me i almost tore the teacher apart when the proprietress heard it she was sacked. what a wicked world. You see some vampires all in the name of teacher. May God help & save our children. The parent should take divine consolation in God and fight for justice or else the case will be swept under the carpet.

• mrs chidukane

October 29, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Why will you tell a baby to do frog jumps? Why?

15. Nahum

October 29, 2015 at 3:15 pm

This flogging of children in Nigerian schools needs to stop. You have no right to hit other people’s kids. I don’t understand why the government still allows this barbarism. Why should a human being be allowed to take out his/her frustrations on my child? I pity the fool that will dare to touch my child.

• Natu

October 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Real talk!!!! This beating programme needs to stop!!! Are they slaves?

16. Edogirl

October 29, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Stories like this breaks my heart. The question is how long will this carry on for?! Please teachers there are other ways in punishing a child & we need social services in Nigeria!

17. MAN

October 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Granted that some students can really be stubborn and should be punished but not harshly. This child should have been sent home immediately seeing as he/she was sick. Am sure these parents even refused their child from going to school on that day but helas the child insisted. Very sad.

18. Drknite

October 29, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Sounds like a normal day at a Nigerian school. I don’t know why this is in the news.

• Fulnai

October 29, 2015 at 5:09 pm

You r silly for saying that. Kmt

19. ceetoo

October 29, 2015 at 4:28 pm

The other girl that was slapped actually died… now this?

20. Yue

October 29, 2015 at 4:41 pm

When I say I want to put an end to Corporal punishment, someone should come and tell me I’m trying to emulate a white man’s lifestyle and let me forget my hand on your head!
    What drags me to pieces is the reason for flogging! They are extremely useless!! USELESS! I say. I haven’t paid my termly fees, and you flog me? Biko is it me or my parents that will pay it? I correct a teacher and I’m flogged because I “disrespected” my teacher? Wow! Nigerians need to think forward!! We need to stop this, else it will ruin the rest of us.
    It baffles me how teachers who claim to be educated still do not recognize Corporal punishment as violence! Domestic, emotional, physical violence are all wrong!!!!! Jesus, why won’t we learnt?
    It kills these kids, it has physiological influences on them! It inflicts fear on them. Fear is not RESPECT!!!
    And please, whether one or ten lashes, flogging is flogging! And it is wrong!

21. Word!

October 29, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I really honestly hoped to read a comment that does not only shame this act, but agrees and understand that Corporal punishment whether at home or school is wrong and deadly. No, your child might not die from you beating or flogging him a little bit. But it has it’s side effects, that you don’t know! I swear, when I read it on google I regretted ever laying a hand on my nephew. Do you know what fear is? Maybe you do, but the effects are deadly. Children who can come out clean and be honest with their parents on anything are hard to fine! Because these kids have been forced to become perfectionist right from the home! Parents, I beg you do not flog your children! When your child turns 16, if they do something wrong the only way out is to make them make it right. That is the Best way! But a little below that, find another way of correcting them. Corporal , emotional, physical violence ruins people. I have been a victim, and I know the pain. I can’t even start explaining, I might right an essay. Just learn of other ways to train your children. And never forget that when you practice disgraceful or bad habits in presence of your child, it influences them. Please learn!

22. SWAGGI

October 29, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Just shot down the effing school. Its obvious that they are not interested in providing an education but prefer to run a military camp. I hope the perpertrator (teacher/principal) ends up serving jail term.

• whocares

October 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm

well, that escalated quickly… 😛 oh Whocares, this is no time to joke!

23. bunmi

October 29, 2015 at 5:54 pm

OMG! Who is that bloody teacher?

If am the parent of that child that teacher is dead on arrival…. I will use all forces within and without to fight you.

Beast! the student told you he was ill all he had to do is still beat him….. what about other punishment he ought to have told him to do?

Na that time dem go know say bami naa omomi kodenu olomo!

24. ENNY**

October 29, 2015 at 6:28 pm

OMG are you for real! Police investigating WHAT!!! Chai. Person pikin! Kill me. Just kill me this is the last

25. Bowl

October 29, 2015 at 6:29 pm

@Ada, yours is the only sensible comment here. Child must have been quite sick. We need to draw some lines in these matters lest we become America !

• Corolla

October 30, 2015 at 7:29 am

@Bowl, No Ada’s comment is not the only sensible one here. In fact for a sensitive issue like this, you two have made very reckless statements . To even attempt to shift the blame from the person who meted out the punishment, to child’s preexisting medical condition is sickening. If this happened to your loved one, would you actually utter these same words?

And seriously “Lest we become America”.?? So, you’d rather remain stagnant and continue with a harmful tradition because you do not want to be like America?

When you think about it, how has corporal punishment benefited us? For the most part, we are still an unruly people! We bribe our way through everything, we disobey traffic laws, we cheat, and our leaders who were probably victims of corporal punishment are corrupt as f*** and rob us blind. Asides instilling unnecessary fear, what exactly has corporal punishment done for us as a nation? And it is this fear that keeps the average Nigerian from speaking their mind, or fighting against injustice. When as a child it has been ingrained in your brain that if you go against authority, you will face a violent punishment. Sigh!

26. Mabel

October 29, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I remember in the 8th grade a girl asked to leave the classroom to go to the bathroom and the teacher refused, she ended up peeing herself in class. I know of another case where a student was injured from a beating. I do not see why detention or writing lines cannot suffice in simple cases. How does coming to school late warrant a beating to death? As far as I know if a child is chronically late the teacher schedules a meeting with the parent to address the issue, not beat them.

I feel for the parents and loved ones of this student, I pray for their strength through these trying times.

27. Bim

October 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I don’t think beating/spanking a child within reasonable limit is a bad thing, even the bible advises us as parents not to spare the rod less we spoil the child. I just think teachers have to be civil about it, and there’s also the fact that you really never know who death or the devil is escorting that day, this might have just been a case of severe bad luck, i know a story of a boy that was actually being notorious, the teacher hadn’t even touched him, he was barely pushed by his classmate and he slummed and died. So, i disagree that beating as a form of punishment should be cancelled totally, it did shape a lot of us growing up, least to an extent.

28. nnewisis

October 29, 2015 at 10:52 pm

That’s why my secondary FGGC Onitsha never allows flogging by teachers or senior. Just give any other forms. Of punishment from.fetching water for teachers living in school, clean staff room etc . The teacher is in pepper and he should.be dealt with so others will learn

29. Anon

October 30, 2015 at 12:02 am

Bim, you ARE barbaric and your thinking, reasoning, and logic show it. Get a effing brain! The student died as a DIRECT result of being beaten when he was in weak health. What death was following him?that morning? The one YOU assigned? Like I said, get a effing brain. There are way more effective ways to correct a child. If that’s the case, why don’t we beat some adults in our society today in the name of “correcting them”. Child abuse occurs because they are weaker in physical strength. If you touch an adult in such a manner, they will react and it will NOT be friendly nor meek. The teacher and Principal should be charged with the capital crime of manslaughter. Period.

30. Bowl

October 30, 2015 at 1:09 am

@aAnon. That barbarism ensured most of us became human beings today and not animals. I ‘m 100% in support of Bim. You all claiming nonsense civilized now.

31. caro

October 30, 2015 at 1:14 am

dis is too bad, if dis is true I really feel bad for d poor boy nd his family…I wonder wat dey will be goin tru rite nw….its reminds of my secondary skul days…FGC ogbomoso..it was hell..I tink dis teachers shld rather give dem punishment instead of beatin dem to d poin t of death..dis is ridiculous…I pray dat d bois soul rest in peace.(amen)

32. PostYourComment

October 30, 2015 at 3:21 am

But Bim “reasonable limit” is subject to different interpretation na! How do we set a standard on reasonable beating?

Corporal punishment as a whole should just be banned. You can’t go around hitting children. They are not animals! You don’t know the pre existing medical condition a person has. We live in a society that endorses corporal punishment, but when someone dies as a result of this violence, we all start shouting and calling for the head of the culprit. It’s like a “do not get caught” system…”you can beat o, but if someone dies then you are own your own”. Why can’t it be banned in the first place? God knows how many children have died in this manner. Shebi it is now that we have social media that we know what is happening around us. Even corporal punishment meted out by parents is dangerous. This could have easily been the case of a parent killing his/her child.

If you can’t flog your spouse, colleagues, friends for wrongdoings etc, what makes it okay to hit a child? Because you have authority over them? SMH

33. SERIOUSLY

October 30, 2015 at 4:18 am

there is a difference between corporal punishment, and and torture i know Nigeria teachers could be crazy as hell, there must be a measurement of punishment I swear. yeah punishment comes in different, forms who beat a child to death? all in the name of punishment. hell no! but then corporal punishment should not be abolished. Kids these days are crazy, I bet you all western world are even regretting withdrawal of corporal punishment or watever is call, see what is happening everyday in schools in America student been rebellious to their teachers, even beat them to stupor sometimes all because the kids knows the can not be punished. Nigeria government should define what is punishment and torture and there must be a clear line between the two. spare the rod and spoil the child.

34. WTH!!!!!

October 30, 2015 at 8:54 am

Im sorry oh, but in this case a life must go for a life if i were the parent. What stupid painful nonsense!

35. noble

October 30, 2015 at 9:44 am

must the punishment be flogging! it is high time teachers learn how to give punishment to disobedient student. it is better to give the student a corporal punishment than flogging cos no parents in his or her right mind is going to accept this kind of shit whether the student is right or wrong!!!!!!

36. NUR

October 30, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I may be late in commenting want to add my 2 cents. I’m all for punishing children with a few swats if necessary BUT it is for the parent to do. No human being under heaven should touch anyone else’s child PERIOD! Hitting or not hitting a child does not determine how they will eventually behave trust, I have seen it too many times.
    When we lived in Nigeria my little sister suffered from convulsions and it was triggered when she was stressed out as a child. She was hit in a so called private nursery by a teacher and convulsed terribly, She was only around 3 years at the time. Teachers in Nigeria are not even well trained to deal with such trauma it was a chaotic mess. Unfortunately for her, that sister of mine is the apple of my dad’s eye and the teacher got it from my father. I can’t even remember what happened after that but I don’t remember seeing her.

There are other ways to instill the fear of God into children, beating them to near death for mundane things, is not one of them.

37. Ese

October 30, 2015 at 1:32 pm

“Spare the rod and spoil the child” is a figure of speech oooooo….if not, you might as just use a rod to beat a child. What this figure of speech means is that you if you fail to discipline a child, it”ll have a negative impact on him.
    Beating anyone at all is barbaric…reading some of the comments it shows how violence has been engraved in the dna of man. There are other ways to discipline or correct people (children as well) and we have to learn it as least for posterity sake.

38. Regina

October 30, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Its time Nigeria and the all African countries should stop all this mental slaving,you cannot beat a humanbeing like you in the name of discipline,its time to make a law against this barbaric act. Its so sad sending a child to school for the child to be killed, this barbaric act is everywhere inside that Nigeria,a policeman flogging and beating a fellow man like him,soldiers beating people like himself,madam and oga beating thier workers. Its not going to change When Baba God created blacks we must have done something wrong to him or he didn’t have interest in us because i dont understand why is it that its only we Africans that remain barbaric and still have and live in mental slaving.

39. Cheeze

November 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm

All those ignorant people saying ‘spare the rod’, beat within reasonable limit bla bla. Who sets the standard as to what is reasonable? May it not be your child that gets beaten to death. Maybe then your eyes will clear and you’ll review your reasoning and you’ll understand how UNACCEPTABLE it is to flog another human being in the name of punishment. It’s barbaric, evil, backward and wicked. It needs to stop! There are other non violent ways to discipline. People keep taking out their frustrations on helpless kids, workers, househelp etc. They should be jailed. Wicked monsters. I hope the right authorities handle this case and lock the teacher and principal up like animals since they think it’s ok to treat another human so inhumanly. It’s not even ok to hit animals. May the boys soul rest in peace, but only after haunting the teachers life to madness.