Scoop

WATCH Hauwa Mohammed talk about Ladies having to Fight a Culture of Nudity to be Successful

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

IMG-20150718-WA0026

New vlogger Hauwa Mohammed is releasing her debut vlog titled Right Angel vs. Left Devil: To Resist or to Give In?’

In the vlog Hauwa talks about the pressures and dilemmas that girls face when it comes to showing their skin. She talks about the fact that there is always a fight for decency – to resist or to give in – in order to be successful.

According to her this comes because the media and other major brands have promoted a culture of nudity for so long.

Watch her vlog below.

1. pauline

October 30, 2015 at 9:22 pm

my newest love!!!!

2. Jigsaw

October 30, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Hausa gals can get it! All day, any day!!!

3. *curious*

October 30, 2015 at 10:26 pm

subbing!

4. Swizzey

October 30, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I think I am in love..

5. Love

October 30, 2015 at 10:35 pm

i like her.
    I am no moslem (I am a Jesus Lover) but i love the way they cover up and still look cute
    I have been unfollowing a lot of the IG African thirsty skank heffas always showing too much skin wanting to be beyonce and kim, now i am following a lot of the Northern MUA girls. SO gorg. They are sexy without showing skin. Thats how it should be.

• Tosin

October 31, 2015 at 4:57 am

i love cover-up culture too. modesty is my flirt style, plus i’m always cold anyway. then i came to Lagos and was insulted for it, stupid town. i really suffered in my first year or two back – you must be ‘smart’ by that they mean tight-tight clothes, you must be feminine aka stupid pretty shoes, you must look good by which they mean very neat and preferably very expensive – all the things that don’t interest me. and i thought my colleagues were too fat, too inactive, too made-up, too by-forcing everything, like they had too much time and money on their hands and nothing better to do than own shoes and pour colours on their faces. but who cares what i think, right? ff to 2015 and everybody is doing fitfam because it’s a hashtag. you’re welcome.
      i liked my time up north in part because they get that subtle is beautiful. i like islam because it seems to correlate with modesty. a lot of Lagos Christianity will make you dislike Christianity – very grabbing, hungry bunch of Christians…they will run you over if you don’t move out of their way, even in de shosh.

6. Kike

October 30, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Your enlightened traditional rulers are marrying children young enough to be their granddaughters, the poverty rate in these ‘decent’ areas are one of the highest in the world, your region is associated with backwardness but it is nudity you choose to dwell on. I am not fooled by this subtle dig at ‘indecent’ areas of this country.

With all of the piety and covering of women, what is there to show for it? These regions go on about being decent, yet leaders from such regions who have ruled mostly since independence have fattened their pockets, thrown expensive weddings while their region lingers in poverty and become a breeding ground for terrorists. Hypocrites!!!!

Please talk about female education, female rights and equal distribution of wealth and leave women’s clothing choices alone. Culture of nudity ko culture of paedophilia ni.

• Yue

October 31, 2015 at 9:25 am

Kike, I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEeEeEEEEEEEe You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lima

October 31, 2015 at 9:35 am

Dear kike, The first thing she said was “in my series of vlogs ” Please wait and see if she will talk about poverty, Education and under age marriage before you start complaining.

• Idomagirl

October 31, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Shots fired!!! ??????

• Iamnephiza

November 2, 2015 at 12:42 am

bitter much??? And leaders from the west have not fattened their pockets, thrown expensive weddings while their region lingers in poverty. by the way I am not from the North. Just in case you were wondering. go take a sit and a minute to educate yourself.

• Lima

November 2, 2015 at 9:51 am

@Iamnephiza Thank you very much for this! That’s exactly what people need to understand! LET’S STOP POINTING FINGERS AND ADDRESS PROBLEMS OF THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE NOT KEEP DWELLING IN TRIBALISM!!!!! That is what is killing Nigeria!!!!!! THERE IS NO ONE STATE IN NIGERIA THAT IS NOT SUFFERING FROM POVERTY, LACK OF EDUCATION OR IS WELL DEVELOPED!!!!

7. l

October 30, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Oga Oh!!!

8. Meeee

October 30, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Did anyone hear the twitter and instagram handles she mentioned? I didn’t quite catch them and i’d like to follow! Thanks in advance 🙂

• Hauwa

October 31, 2015 at 12:46 am

@Jaaruma_empire your welcome.

• Kai

October 31, 2015 at 12:57 am

Jaaruma empire from the description box in the YouTube video. Check for the full handle names

• Sky Blue

October 31, 2015 at 2:20 am

@Jaaruma_Empire. If you click on the video, it’s in the description box.

9. Not a fan

October 31, 2015 at 12:08 am

I’m kinda sorta a northerner (female) so I’m happy more women from my region are becoming more outspoken, less insular. That being said I think she contradicts herself a lot. You just said something about decency but half of the video your titties are just out there. You’d get some attention if that’s what you wanted. Though you didn’t make any point.

• Kai

October 31, 2015 at 12:59 am

Half???? But if you’re ‘kinda, sorta’ from the North you’ll understand she’s dressed no different from many Northern women in trad. She was talking about nudity and she has clothes on so…

• Not a fan

October 31, 2015 at 6:08 pm

It’s mostly northern Christains that dress like this. Not that there’s anything bad with it, but regarding the Hausa Muslim demographics, nah, we know ourselves. Native is not always decency. Go to her instagram page and see what I’m talking about. She shows cleavage like anything. might have deleted it sha.
      Before someone will slide in with the H word, I like her generally, though this particular video doesn’t make sense.

• Tosin

October 31, 2015 at 5:09 am

i’m with you about contradicting herself ; she already said it : 1 ‘Igbo girl’ gonna-wanna build empire and 2 ‘she wants to be controversial’. my actual opinion is i like her best when her lovely cleavage wasn’t distracting i.e. the white knit suit, and i would of course cut off the hair it really cheapens her and her message. i love the many rings, didn’t love the boots, and it’s amusing how she was using the tits to sell her media empire market. it’s all good. reminds me of the early Toke days. basically, she’s not saying she’s a role model. she’s not saying she believes anything she says (or that she’s even saying anything). When you get confused about her values, just look to 1. and 2. above. cheap controversy , conversation starters , hot topics , while she picks up a few bucks along the way.
      I wish it was more than that. Maybe she’ll repackage, review the plan.

10. Bedsandroses

October 31, 2015 at 12:39 am

Can’t waste my MB but I like her jewellery. Ps: I hope ur dad isn’t a government official

11. yue

October 31, 2015 at 5:46 am

I do not hate the way they dress. But I also do not understand why they feel as if a little skin is “nudity”. It’s sunny, they have their hair covered. It’s rainy, same thing. Showing your hair is nudity? Legs, nudity? When you wear shorts and your thighs are out, it is nudity?
    Know what is right and don’t overdo it. we’ve over-sexualized the human body to the extent that someone wearing a bikini or swimwear in the pool can stir very negative opinion and ideas.
    At some point, it is men that should be taught how to control their sexual urge and the way they see things. A lot of people are misunderstood because they show a little skin, a few times in their outfit. It shouldn’t go that way, really. I’ve never worn my shorts, mini gowns, mini skirts to seduce or stir up anything in anyone’s mind. As free as I am, I wear what feels great with me. I don’t expose my breasts in my clothings, or my butt. But I have no problem with people that do.
    The fact is, girls will always have sexual organs, and if you’re against “wearing of trousers” which people consider bad, because it depicts the shape of a woman’s body in it. I know you won’t stop your daughter from wearing a blouse that also depicts the shape of a woman’s breast in it. Cover up, yes! But do it the right way.

12. Daezy

October 31, 2015 at 8:42 am

I thought I was the only one who noticed the low neckline of her cloth. Next time while preaching modesty you should do well to cover up properly and not allow your body be a distraction to the message you are trying to pass. #Team modesty.

• Lima

October 31, 2015 at 9:20 am

Dear Daezy, she is not preaching modesty, she is talking about to be modest or not to be modest? To give in to the trending culture of nudity or not to give in? That’s why the right Angel was fully covered and the left devil had a low neckline!

13. Safiya

October 31, 2015 at 11:36 am

Is it just me or ìs her makeup a lot better than all the other videos with her black eyebrows? Lol good job girl

14. JustMyComment

October 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm

@Lima,
    In the video she is clearly very much in support of “not giving in” to indecency and promoting modesty. I agree with previous comments. The whole video is disjointed, doesn’t quite give a clear argument, and seems to be contradictory when on so many photos she has EXTREMELY exposed breasts.
    Now, I’m all for women’s right to wear what they want. I think it has historically been rather oppressive for men to determine what is good and decent in this world, when it seems to be men who often times are embarrassed of their own lack of self control at the sight of the smallest sliver of skin. However, I’m seeing more and more women attacking other women and being extremely judgmental based on what she may or may not be wearing. My perspective is: So what if her skirt is short, her dress is tight, or a bit of cleavage is showing?? I care more about what she says, how she carries herself, and how she treats others. So a rocket scientist can’t show some skin without you classifying her negatively as this or that? Ridiculous. So now being fit and comfortable showing skin as part of fitfam makes you a hoe? I know plenty of highly accomplished women who show a good amount of skin, albeit in what I would deem appropriate manners.
    If this Hauwa girl had made a thoughtful and clear argument I would be saying kudos to her, we may not agree but I value your mind! Instead, what she presented was a jumble of judgment that seems to indicate her thirst for attention (paying for other bloggers to post her article) and lack of insight.

• JustMyComment

October 31, 2015 at 1:10 pm

My point is this. If a woman chooses to show skin, don’t judge her. If a woman chooses to be covered up, don’t judge her. At the end of the day, her long-term success will be based on the value of the content she produces or executes. Shock value can only last so long, but if what you do adds value, then no matter what you are or are not wearing you’ll be successful.