Music

“When I Was Still Pregnant with My Daughter I Had Very Tough Decisions to Make” – Waje writes on International Day of the Girl Child

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Waje & Emerald

Yesterday was International Day of the Girl Child and to mark the day in her own way Waje shared an inspiring message on Instagram.

The mother of one wrote about how difficult things were for her when she was pregnant and how she pulled through because she had a support system.

Waje & Emerald

She went on to advocate the re-education of modern day women.

See her post below:

Today, the 11th of October, is the International Day of the Girl Child and I really want to celebrate my childhood and thank God for how blessed I am to have the mother that trained me. I want to celebrate my daughter… The best thing that has ever happened to me and the most important person in my life!

When I was still pregnant with my daughter, I had very tough decisions to make; would I have to quit the university to raise my child? Would I be able to live my lifelong dream of being a musician? Would I be able to raise my daughter single handedly? How would I make ends meet?

I was one of the lucky ones, the ones with a support system of mothers , of parents pushing their daughters to pursue an education, to continue to dream, to work towards their dream and to continually inspire, motivate and push other young women to excel.

I look around me and I worry about the future of women and girls. I worry about the world I am building for my daughter and her friends. I worry about  how our legislation affects girls. I worry about our girls being married off to men their fathers’ age when they should be in school. I see inequality everywhere and I wonder how these young girls who we are celebrating today will cope if we sit and do nothing about their future. Does every single woman have to fight her way through and with everything to remain honourable and respected in her field? I wonder about all these things… But nothing bothers me more than the inaction by women in power and authority.

Too often women fail to empower each other. We forget that our daughters too will follow our actions and not just our words and as the world shrinks into a global village, it will also be our fault that our girls are not sitting on the table and contributing to decisions that ultimately affect them.

There is so much work to do to re-educate the modern day woman to remind her that we are not each other’s adversaries but that there is strength in sisterhood. To teach the generations that come after about those that paved the way for us. Now it is time to open doors for our daughters and sisters and to embrace our weaknesses together and turn them into strengths.

It is time to take responsibility and save the world… It is time raise more women! In our case, It is time to educate and empower the African Woman!

1. jan

October 12, 2015 at 7:13 am

welldone for keeping her..Thumps up

2. anita

October 12, 2015 at 7:26 am

Her daughter is soo beautiful

3. Tk

October 12, 2015 at 8:05 am

Glad she had a strong support system. Other women would look at a pregnant girl and insult her, I’m not saying everyone needs to support out-of-wedlock pregnancies, but mistakes do happen. What is done is done, now to figure out how to make the best out of a bad situation. Let us (women especially) not judge anyone, you don’t know anyones story, you don’t know their upbringing and how they got to their current situation. learn to enlighten early rather than judge the person after the deed has been done

• Laura

October 12, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Well said Tk

4. kelechi

October 12, 2015 at 8:29 am

Well said

5. doyin

October 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

her daughter is so beautiful.
    she is lucky she had a support system. that is something some people do not have. where mothers kick their daughters out because they got pregnant.
    all the best Waje

6. Nne

October 12, 2015 at 9:51 am

I loved the article and like the previous comments have stated she is lucky she had a support system, even genevieve did. One of the major issues in this part of the world concerning abortion is lack of a support system. That is why in the developed countries they have government/ child support for single mothers to help those who lack in family support.

Its hard alone surviving in this country with support talk less of without support thats why most times it is not good to judge.

As for the women in power statement she is spot on but I am glad that recently I have noticed some women empowering programs coming up

7. Ada Nnewi

October 12, 2015 at 10:16 am

She’s so lucky she had a good support system..We should all learn to be support systems…

8. Nky

October 12, 2015 at 11:53 am

Girls should be taught to have dignity, confidence, love for themselves and given equal opportunities as the boys at home & in school..

9. Ephi

October 12, 2015 at 12:02 pm

We need more celebrities lending their voice to key issues like this, not just to be flaunting stuff on IG.

10. concerned

October 12, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Too often we’ve taught our daughters to tear their fellow females down. A girl pregnant in high school and her female friends call her babymama, tease her, make her life a living hell, etc. Is that supposed to encourage her to see her education through no matter what? And not even just pregnancy, too often girls bully girls for their size, their appearances, because boys like them, or just because they seem different. I know they are young and often don’t know any better but we should teach them to know better from an early age. Just recently in my church, a lady wanted to leave an abusive marriage and her husband reported her to the church elders. A group of elders (all women, mind you) called her and reprimanded her, asking her why she was disrespecting her husband, doesn’t she know that as her leader she should accept whatever he does, that as a woman she can never be equal to him, that its in the Bible and so on.
    DEAR WOMEN! WHEN THEY TELL YOU TO ACCEPT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SUBMIT TO YOUR HUSBANDS, PLEASE TELL THEM THAT THE BIBLE ALSO SAYS IN EPHESIANS 5: 21 THAT WE SHOULD SUBMIT TO ONE ANOTHER OUT OF REVERENCE OF THE MESSIAH!

• concerned

October 12, 2015 at 2:30 pm

And also, the Bible says in Galatians 3: 28 “There is neither Jew or Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female, for you are all one in Jesus Christ.” Abuse is slavery. So if even the Bible advocates for gender equality, why should we accept that women are not equal and why should we discourage instead of support other women when they try to emancipate themselves? Thats a clear case of women not having a support system. Please, lets support each other and build each other. Sorry, I got cut off so I came back to continue my comment

• Puzzles

October 12, 2015 at 4:38 pm

@concerned, please leave that church. Else, it may become your case tomorrow. When so-called elders are not christ-like, what are you finding there? Jesus himself said “by their fruits you will know them” and “not everyone saying to me ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter into the kingdom of God but the one who DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER who is in the heavens will.”

True christians never endorses abuse of any kind. Rather, they are identified by the true love they display towards one another. (John 13: 34,35)

11. DD

October 12, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Lovely message, wise words for us all.

12. aikay

October 12, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Bravo!!!!!! Waje, this is very inspirational and I hope people will take out time to read this cos I almost didn’t care t read it. Was busy looking for red carpet pics on BN. Looooolllllll. I actually thought our darlyn Genevieve will do something like this too cos she passed thru similar ordeal so dt the awareness of protecting the GIRL CHILD will be increased .

13. Tari

October 12, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Support System is the bottom line.
    May we never be left alone in our moments of vulnerability.

14. molarah

October 12, 2015 at 8:38 pm

“We can blame legislation. We can blame men. We can blame War but if we do not take responsibility for our future, we only have ourselves to blame! I am speaking directly to everyone, especially women in positions of influence and power. What are we doing to educate, enlighten and empower young women and girls to compete equally in the society?”

Poignant words there. When are the women in positions of influence going to start defending the rights of the girl child? The female senators, female legislators, first ladies, female celebrities?

15. Cee

October 13, 2015 at 10:31 am

I’m glad you kept her. She is very beautiful, both inside and out. It can be a very difficult decision to make at a young age. I keep wondering what I would have done if I was ever in your position. A support system is critical to the development of any individual. Let’s build each other up and not tear down. Well done Waje on the artcle, bery inspiring!

16. Cee