News

Moji Lawal, “The Last Single Honourable” in Lagos State House of Assembly gets Married

BellaNaija.com

Honourable Moji Lawal 2We are so inspired by women who don’t let marital status stop them from achieving their goals!

Honourable Moji Lawal is a legislator in the Lagos State House of Assembly. She was the first ever female aspirant in Apapa constituency, and emerged their first female representative on May 29, 2015. There were over 100 delegates in the primaries before she emerged her party – All Progressive Congress (APC)’s candidate.Honourable Moji LawalThe Honourable was reportedly the last ‘single’ legislator in the house before she got married this week. As of May, her and husband John Paul had done their ‘introduction ceremony’, and had gone to the registry, but hadn’t had their Nikkai or engagement.

Her husband, John Paul, is a businessman. In an interview conducted with Punch earlier this year (it has now been removed, but you can see the transcript here), Moji stated she was up to the challenge of entering marriage with a demanding career.Honourable Moji Lawal 3

Here’s a photo of Moji and her husband, Moji Lawal & John Paul

Congrats Moji and John! We cannot wait to see what else is in store for you.

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/beautycookstudio | Facebook.com

1. ATL's finest

November 6, 2015 at 8:05 am

Congrats to her but @ BN the title tho hmm

2. Bella sef

November 6, 2015 at 8:14 am

Congratulations to her.. But BN that title di kwanu one kind ohh

3. lotusflower

November 6, 2015 at 8:39 am

BN, this post is quite insulting. SMH
    Anyway, congrats to her and her hubby!

BellaNaija.com

November 6, 2015 at 8:48 am

Please let us know why the post is insulting? Being single is not a negative thing. We mentioned that she achieved a lot including being elected to office while single. Do let us know. We may learn a thing or 2.

• Celeste

November 6, 2015 at 10:24 am

BN… It is the “LAST ‘single’ legislator” that some people find inappropriate. I think just “single legislator” will do, then you could in the body/content of the news tell us she was the only unmarried legislator in the Lagos state assembly.

• Ebere

November 6, 2015 at 11:38 am

If it were a man, would it have been less insulting? Why do people get so sensitive over women issues?Just be happy for her achievements simply……….

• Eve

November 7, 2015 at 1:34 am

But would they have said the last single man?Its a weird title

4. RIFF RAFF

November 6, 2015 at 8:46 am

Marriage is an honourable institution, but i can’t help asking myself if it is still this same marriage that is stopping women from soaring high and achieving their potentials, i tend to see it more and more …dumbing down thingz into order to catch a husband.

5. Thatgidigirl

November 6, 2015 at 9:10 am

BN maybe you should just say hon Moji Lawal gets married. The other adjectives are uneccessary, and can be misconstrued by readers.

6. Fabulicious

November 6, 2015 at 9:19 am

In this sensitive era where simpke English is now subtle shade. I can’t say my short friend or my fat self or my single colleague. Everything is now an insult or sounds like one doesn’t Have self love.She is the last single woman in the house of assembly and she’s now married.Shikena

• Bukky

November 6, 2015 at 12:00 pm

In this sensitive era, where society subtly or openly and tactlessly looks down at single women, this is not cool. We have read of women who have been killed and badly hurt because of bad marriages. They refused to leave, because of the fear of being looked down by the society.

With society/media strongly highlighting that she was the last person to get married at her work place, how likely is this woman to live her husband if the marriage ends up being terrible?

We have to change this mindset, where singlehood equals doom, and the change starts from little things like this–not branding a woman as the last single woman at her place of employement! BN is a powerful platform, and as a gatekeeper of information, they can choose to change the mindset of people, or they can be like every other medium and ignorantly poke at single folks with distasteful blog titles.

Bella probably purposely titled this post this way, so people can argue back and forth in the commen section, thus increasing clicks and return visit to the site.

7. runnning man

November 6, 2015 at 9:20 am

I agree with thatgidigirl – plus it comes off a bit patronising as well – unless she specifically asked to be described this way for marketing purposes (dnt see how)- otherwise I would say a change is needed

8. Tari

November 6, 2015 at 9:37 am

The silliness that pervades BN these days is getting increasingly painful.
    What is the point of this article?
    Same question I asked about that Kimani video.
    If a blog run by women can objectify women this much and a man like me cries out then something is wrong somewhere.
    BN are you going to run same for the single males in politics?

• Mz Socially Awkward....

November 6, 2015 at 11:30 am

You’re a man? Interesting…. No offence intended, it’s only interesting because I keep trying to guess the gender of commenters in my head and it’s always a learning process when I’m proved wrong. In the same way I have notions that @Jide is a girl, despite the online handle (e.g. “Njide”, “Chukwujide”)…

BN, I don’t know if your news item would have been a little more balanced if you’d already flagged up the achievements of this “single legislator” in a previous post of her getting into the house in spite of social limitations (or, did I miss one that you did?). As it is, feels like the only reason I’m hearing about her, regardless of her noteworthy job, is because she’s tying the knot.

9. Anonymous

November 6, 2015 at 10:03 am

I don’t comment on this blog but I must say that this title is quite offensive. BN no matter how you try and sugar coat it, it still comes off as insulting and even more troubling is your response to readers who are only trying to point out the obvious. Please lets do better.

10. https://africholidays.smemarkethub.com/products/

November 6, 2015 at 10:32 am

I don’t see anything insulting in this article, rather if gives hope to women they can get married at any age, no matter their accomplishments. This is a country when at 27, women are being abused by complete strangers to go and marry. And it’s happened to me when smone hit my car, dat is d only thing d fool cld use to abuse me, just becos I shouted at him. He even went as far as saying an aristo bought me d car, just bcos it’s a nice car. This is a country were women are going suicidal if dey aren’t married by 30. And they feel they shldnt accomplish much, so men won’t get scared away. This woman accomplished a lot being single. She waited for her own time. Some will say when uv even reached ur mid 30s it’s all over regarding marriage. There’s subtle shade with d heading, but I don’t think it’s quite meant to be shade.

11. ola

November 6, 2015 at 11:20 am

I know moji, she has done nikki since last year,is nikki not regards being married

12. dysfunctionalgidigeh

November 6, 2015 at 11:42 am

Ok Guys!…… enough of this BS. What happened to not reading silly meaning to stuff. was the said lady SINGLE as at yesterday? Yes.. As at the said time was she the LAST SINGLE LADY in the LSHA? Yes!…. so what’s the problem…. the babe is under 35 not that she’s 50 and BN was throwing shade…. So please is “Friyay””, don’t get your knickers in a twist!

13. Natu

November 6, 2015 at 12:29 pm

BN be like “alas she has married!!! She is now a complete human being!!” Lmfao I can’t with African women

• Idomagirl

November 7, 2015 at 5:21 am

You must can with us o! ??????

14. nnenne

November 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations Sister Moji.
    Goes to show that our men are getting less intimidated by our women.
    Progress! !!!!

15. Africhic

November 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm

My only take is that we have a representative for the Apapa constituency? We have horrible roads. She should do something abeg.

• Tosin

November 6, 2015 at 3:30 pm

now loading…the revolution

16. Mz A

November 6, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Hian oh
    You people should go and call police.
    She’s “the last single female legislator” (I’m not sure omawumi udoh that wanted to die in delta state HOA is married)
    It’s only people that think marriage is a life time achievement that would find the title insulting. From the content, the post is supposed to encourage other aunty gwez to get up and start achieving before husband come.

17. SugaMama

November 6, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I agree with Mz Socially Awkward. I think the bigger issue here is that this is the first time BN is recognizing her. It’s like up until this point, her achievements were not worthy of a post, but she is getting married and it’s “Hey look, she’s also XYZ”. Especially sine this is not a wedding post with their love story and wedding pictures. Think about it, if you had posted about her before this and the post was accompanied by her love story, it would make a little more sense.
    BN, I think you can do more to highlight people like her more often and not wait until she gets married for us to know who she is. Heck, you tell us when celebrities post a selfie on instagram, like that is actually news.

Nothing wrong with being single, but a good balance of what is celebrated is key.

18. Jamce

November 6, 2015 at 9:18 pm

It is all a matter of interpretation or how we choose to “understand” a word, phrase or sentence. These are all driven by our individual background, training, experiences, ambitions, etc. We must realise that BN is also a news media and can choose a title that they consider useful to pass the message they intend to convey. It is also part of their job to use titles or headlines that would draw attention of the reader to the message or news item.

Kudos to the perspective of @https://africholidays.smemarkethub.com/products/
    “I don’t see anything insulting in this article, rather if gives hope to women they can get married at any age, no matter their accomplishments.” It is always a matter of individual or personal perspective or understanding. We would be better off if we try to look at the positive side of issues and situations before we come to final conclusions.

19. hadassah

November 6, 2015 at 11:36 pm

For me ooo… Nothing wrong with the Headline….
    It’s even even slightly comical.

Anyway… as for BN not writing anything about her prior to now….
    Maybe this is the first time they are hearing about her…. Like her wedding created an avenue to know about the rest of her awesomeness and accomplishments

@Natu… you are hilarious!