Scoop

Ramsey Nouah shares his Rags to Riches Story: “There was a time I slept under the bridge”

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Ramsey Nouah

Nollywood actor Ramsey Nouah is opening up for the first time about the struggles he faced growing up and how that has helped shape him into the man he is today.

The 44-year-old husband and father of 3 shared how he used to live on the streets and sleep in a tiny store that could only take one mat with his mother.

He shared his story with Stargist saying:

Those were the times when things got really bad for my mother and I and we had nothing. It was so bad that we didn’t have a home to live in. We had to stay in a store, one that could take only one mat. My mother and I squeezed ourselves in that mat. We didn’t even have a cup to drink water, talk more of a stove to cook on. My mother had to borrow, beg and stuff like that.

Those moments, those terrible moments we had nothing and we were living off people. People were just helping us out. There were times we didn’t have food to eat three or four days. You haven’t eaten and your stomach is rumbling but you don’t have any place to go. There was a time I lived on the streets, in shops. There was a time I slept under the bridge. It was unfortunate that there were no records so that we can have memories we could play back now. To me, I am so extremely grateful that I went through it. At that time, I hated everybody around me. In fact, I used to question why God was doing this to me. But I think God knew that I needed this for my future

These were moments when I was young. I didn’t realize the gravity of the poverty we were in. I couldn’t tell, but it was good orientation for me. Those were moments when I thank God for making me pass through, because they have sustained and helped me even as an actor. The ability to deliver all the roles they give me comes from having tasted both sides of the coin.

You can read the rest of his feature here.

1. babygiwa

December 2, 2015 at 8:42 am

Tough times don’t last but tough people do… So proud and happy for you my FOREVER crush. Love you so much. May God continue to bless you. Amen.
    My fine wine?

2. iy

December 2, 2015 at 9:15 am

Oh dear, such is life for some people in Nigeria . Thank God you came out of it alive with your mother . How I wish all the rich men and Rome in Nigeria will help the poor and less privileged in the society , Nigeria would have been a better country. Even all the celebrities , but no they prefer to buy expensive houses and cars while people are dying of hunger. VANITY UPON VANITY ALL IS VANITY.

• Beeeee

December 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I understand what you are saying but they worked hard for their expensive houses and cars. Now if they want to help people in need, even better, but I can’t say this enough, you can’t tell someone how to spend money they worked for. If a millionaire wants to spend all his money on prostitutes and drugs, that’s his business. He worked for the money. I don’t think it’s right to berate someone for not helping people in need. I wish after slaving for a month, someone comes to tell me how to spend my salary, I won’t find it funny at all. It’s not automatic dear. Take Ramsey for example, rags to riches. Where there no celebrities that could have helped him then? He found something he was good at and changed his story. No one owes us anything in this world.

3. iy

December 2, 2015 at 9:20 am

Sorry , men and women. We should learn to help and give if we are in a position to. We all came to this world empty handed and empty handed we will leave.

4. billionaire in grace

December 2, 2015 at 11:25 am

My favourite actor in Bollywood
    .keep on doing the great work. God bless you

5. RIFF RAFF

December 2, 2015 at 11:32 am

Personally i wish he could trace his dad, if he is still alive so that he can maybe find some sort of healing. He always talks about his dad in a off-hand manner, but you can still sense the hurt and void caused by an absent parent. No child deserves to be labelled born-throway and i’m sure like many biracials , he got lots of that. Just like children who got conceived thru random affairs between women and soldiers posted in barracks here and there.

6. Rukee

December 2, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Wow this is so inpiring when one sees ramsey now, who wud belive things were this tight for him…i thought i was goin throuh stuffs but i dey learn for where u dey bross…anoda reason why we must learn to be grateful…what u r going through now its preparing you for a great tomoro…and it gives u a sweet story to tell…this na just part one, d film of ur life never end, part2 dey…u go smile again…ur best days are yet to come….so cheer up and trust GOD…he is not at sleep…He has never failed before and He wouldnt start now….love ya all

7. Rukee

December 2, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Wow this is so inpiring when one sees ramsey now, who wud believe things were this tight for him…i thought i was goin throuh stuffs but i dey learn for where u dey bross…anoda reason why we must learn to be grateful…what u r going through now its preparing you for a great tomoro…and it gives u a sweet story to tell…this na just part one, d film of ur life never finish, part2 dey…u go smile again…ur best days are yet to come….so cheer up and trust GOD…He is not at sleep…He has never failed before and He wouldnt start now….love ya all

8. TruthSayer

December 2, 2015 at 12:27 pm

@iy, the Sooner you realize nobody owes you anything in this world, the better for you…You want a better life? Work for it, PERIOD!
    PS, Ramsey Looks Amazing for his age and i’m so glad he pulled through those rough times and became a better person.

9. Ni

December 2, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Don’t you just look better with age Mr Nouah??? I mean you look the same to me. I think I need to watch old movies to be sure. I love you *keezes* I think people need to share their stories more often to encourage others. Started a business a few months ago and its moving quite slowly, so hearing that someone successful once struggled really hard helps people like me.

10. Peaches

December 2, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Aww bless him.. He’s so blessed and also humble. Those struggles will always be of memory and stories to tell. one can never document struggles or hardship. it stays with you and hopefully it inspires someone… Met him at 805 in London with his friends a few years ago.. He was super friendly and chatty.. Bless you Mr Nouah….

11. f.n.nwapa

December 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Awww Ramsey Noah, many years ago, my sister and I got off a bus at obalende, we were going to receive a phone call from our mother at a cousins place as we nor get phone.

So we get off the bus (i’m about 10 years old and my sister is in her early 20s) , another bus goes past us and splashes muddy water on my sister. Ramsey Nouah who was walking by to find Danfor too stops, says sorry and gives her his handkerchief.

He was just starting out in Nollywood but was already a recognisable figure.

I never forgot, will ask my sister if she remembers.

• Manny

December 2, 2015 at 7:17 pm

You make me think of Flora Nwapa 🙂

12. Chi!

December 2, 2015 at 5:13 pm

God bless [email protected] iy, i understand u perfectly. we shd all help d poor, d needy, d less priviledged around u, so dat what happened to d rich man in d bible will not happen to us. what use is our wealth, if we cant lift up our poor brothers n sistas. No matter how we suffered to make our money, we shdnt make other pple go thru d hell we went thru inorder to make theirs cos we’re here for all us by Alicia Keys. lets kill selfishness pple, its a sin. u didn’t make ur money by ur power or by ur might but by God’s grace n favour, so use it to change lives pls.