Scoop

Charles Novia writes on “The Craze for Nigerian Weddings in Dubai these Days”

BellaNaija.com

Charles-Novia

The guy is a Nigerian. The fiancée is a Nigerian. They both live and love in Nigeria. Not abroad o! Nigeria.

They decide to get married and guess where they have their wedding?

No, just guess.

Dubai.

They make friends and family spend money to fly to Dubai for their wedding. Not Damaturu in Yobe, nor Obudu in Cross Rivers. Dubai.

The wedding blogs and society mags have a field day and it’s all good. Now, I’m not talking about the nouveau rich families as such ( even if they are as much guilty of this obscene display of discretion) but young up and comers, living it up to make a statement that they got married in Dubai.

It baffles me.

You and your spouse add to the burgeoning economy of Dubai by organising a wedding which has a least total value of nothing less than $80,000 if we are to add what everyone who attends would spend even as a small group of invited guests.

And after that day, it’s all memories.

So, what’s with this craze for Dubai weddings by Nigerians?

It’s enough to ask.

***

Head over to Charles Novia’s website for more of his articles.

1. DRE

February 10, 2016 at 9:58 am

My Brother I taya o. we complain the economy is bad. I don’t know y we don’t encourage our things here and not that they are even not world class.

• kadara

February 10, 2016 at 11:54 am

You buying foreign goods is more damaging to the economy that a 1 day event in the life of a few people. So until you buy all your clothes from 9ja, buy 9ja cars and food Abeg you have no right to talk about people destroying the economy. People have their weddings abroad because if you come from a big family in Nigeria its hard to keep your wedding small. It ends up turning into a messy carnival with too many people, ask Toolz. If you try to do strictly by invitation these same Nigerians will beef you so its easier to just go somewhere else. Only a few determined gate crashers will fly out for a wedding they are not invited to. It’s extremely hard to have an intimate wedding in Nigeria

• Olu

February 10, 2016 at 1:37 pm

You nearly spoke my mind.
      Crowd control is almost impossible in Nigeria.
      …and we need to remove the log in our eyes first……..imported bottled water, kelloggs, pampers, toothpicks and here we are complaining about a one-day event.
      #priorities

• Lara

February 10, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Crowd control is not a reason.

2. LEM

February 10, 2016 at 10:17 am

Its all for the’gram. Fake it till you make it. Same group will complain of how hard the economy is.

3. Tee

February 10, 2016 at 10:24 am

Lol “What’s with these craze for Dubai weddings”. My brother no be only Dubai, trust me, the oness wey do for Naija sef wish say dem fit do for Dubai. But na money do ojoro for them. The craze is simply this; Marriage is now a competition in Naija, a celebration where the Brides and sometimes groom say ” Haaa, them go take, my friends go see say my dress and decor no be from here”- from photos you go confirm that bit. People these days concentrate on the celebration rather than the ‘marriage’. They use 12months in planning for a day event and use 52minutes in one year in praying on their knees for the future ahead. The world as a whole don change, no be only Dubai wedding trend, but everything na for show these days.

• Baddosneh

February 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Chop knuckle. It is so annoying. I know someone getting married soon. All she talks about is aso ebi, buying designers, slaying and hashtags in insta. I remember when I was counseling her on praying well so she has a good foundation, she said abeg, stop making marriage sound bad. I said OK na. People sef that prayed well and heard from God go through serious trials in marriage, not to talk of those that slayed their way in. The funny thing is, she’s not from a wealthy family but she’s buying all these things so insta and Bella can carry it. The guy she is marrying is just managing himself. What kind of life is that? Naija people and fake lifestyle.

4. RIFF RAFF

February 10, 2016 at 10:28 am

No mogbo moya when u marry in Dubai. he he he

5. Naijababeii

February 10, 2016 at 10:36 am

Charles my brother leave dem make dem kontinue to boost DUBAI economy and come home to cry harsh tinz for naija. For vacation no wahala but wedding no no for me.

6. Nahum

February 10, 2016 at 10:45 am

People are allowed to have their wedding wherever they choose. It’s their wedding after all. That being said, Nigeria’s economy is in the toilet and from all indications, it looks like the people that destroyed Nigeria’s economy through fraud, are the same group of people funding their children’s weddings in Dubai. If one should talk now, they will call you a hater but the truth is, this is nothing more than deliberate economic sabotage.

But hey, it’s your wedding and we will enjoy the pics on BN!!!!

7. ennybabe

February 10, 2016 at 10:53 am

The evil they do lives after them.Most of them are afraid of what their ex’s will try on the d-day.

• Honeycrown

February 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm

@ennybabe your reply had me laughing.

8. keke driver

February 10, 2016 at 11:20 am

Please IF you have the money, spend it. Afterall you just wed once in a lifetime….whose business is it where you decide to wed.

• TheRealist

February 11, 2016 at 3:41 pm

@kekedriver, “wed once in a lifetime”? pray you are that lucky…lol!

9. SEEN ALL

February 10, 2016 at 11:37 am

Everybody wanna go to Dubai to flex, wed, for tourism or explore the hottest market around the globe etc….nobody Thinks about creating such markets in their countries. When Dubai milk you dry, Just like the USA did, Dubai will shut all doors against LAZY tourist(Nigerians) who can’t create toothpicks, yet enjoys watching the 7 wonders in big cities like Dubai….you will need GREEN CARD, BLUE CARD, BLACK CARD to cross yet all u will get will be RED CARD. You will be considered OLODO by then.

10. Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 10, 2016 at 11:45 am

It’s called a “destination wedding.” I know you didn’t grow up around computers or people of means so do some research on it. Not only Nigerians have destination weddings. It’s a “craze” all over the world. Not everyone was Bro Ishaku and nne Georgina that they haven’t seen since last they were two showing up at their wedding. Mind your pocket and your business!

11. lagos is my home

February 10, 2016 at 12:10 pm

If you worked hard for your money , how you spend it is up to you ……………..If you want to marry in the Moon so be it

if your wealth is Nigerian stolen weath then thats a different discussion .

12. Exclusive

February 10, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Brother Francis, abeg, it’s not that serious.

Like it or not, he is making some valid salient points. Of course your wedding is your business, but when the country’s economy is in the toilet and some debilitating trends are on the rise, we should probably ask ourselves some questions.

13. Lol

February 10, 2016 at 1:03 pm

It’s not everybody it’s the people that they post on Bellanaija aka rich man pickin aka thieves of Nigeria. They have the money so they spend it. Not like they worked for it anyways.

Everyday people like us don’t do weddings in Dubai.

• Abk

February 10, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Not everyone who have their wedding photos on BN are thieves from rich politicians. That’s how I read an article of the most expensive high schools in Nigeria which included Loyala, Bristish International School, Dowen College, Atlantic Hall, Grange School, Corono High School and many others, and people where making all sorts of unnecessary comments, saying that anyone who has kids in the listed schools especially more than one, they had to be thieves, politicians or the likes. They were even trying to question why the Parents will send their kids to such schools.
      1. No one has the right to tell anyone how to spend their money.
      2. They’re many people who work hard for their money and are wealthy, not everyone who has money is a politician or a fraudster. Absolutely not!
      Any man/woman can spend their money whichever way they choose to. Sometimes, when people cannot afford something, it causes them to be bitter; making inadequate comments.

• Abk

February 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Corona High School I meant to say****

• Bola

February 10, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thank you people are just bitter and envious. Let me spend my money how i like, many of us worked hard for our money and we have the right to send our kids to the best schools and have our wedding on the moon if we wish. Nigerians like to bad mouth what they can’t afford , the minute they can afford it mouth will change

• Lol

February 10, 2016 at 3:09 pm

You know this is a lie. If it doesn’t say doctors or lawyer and it has some politicians name next to it you know they stole it. Y’all need to let your father’s stop lying to y’all.

If you have it spend it. But know its not yours.

• Belema

February 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Lol, I’m sorry your Dad doesn’t have money. My Dad has worked for his money and has sustained it, he has also invested. He is not politician. You are more than stupid to think that it’s only Politicians who are wealthy.

14. [email protected]

February 10, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I get it, the economy is bad but what if all your life, you have wanted a destination wedding? If you can afford it, go for it. This life is short o! And, if I am your friend u’re inviting me for a destination wedding, you have to pay for flight, pay hotel room. That is how others do it all around the world. Kim n Kanye travelled to Italy and many other examples. It is not a Nigerian thing. It happens all over!

• Lagos looker

February 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Lmaoooo! You people are funny. I should pay for your flight and hotel to my destination wedding? Please stay in your house. We were running away from people like you anyway. Boy if you don’t. …

15. bafe

February 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm

My advice: Support Nigerian tourism. Let our celebraties and pastors e.g. COZA pastor do their events in Nigeria. Nigerian musicians. No South Africa. Shoot ur music videoes in Nigeria.

16. Moyo

February 10, 2016 at 2:05 pm

If people want to have a destination wedding, I don’t see how that is my business, if I don’t have money for ticket or a visa, I will sit down in my house and drink kunu.

17. xag

February 10, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Funny thing is Dubai weddings are waaay cheaper than Nigerian weddings in terms of value. Everybody pays for their tickets except you want to splurge. The rest is cheaper than renting hall in Lagos and Abuja.

• NaijaPikin

February 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I was about to same the same. Lots of the destination weddings end up being wayyyyyyyy cheaper than having a naija wedding.

Let’s call a spade a spade. Loads of naija wedding vendors are overpriced even with their lack of creativity.

• nwanyi na aga aga

February 10, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I wonder how Charles will write such article without checking the cost benefit. A Dubai wedding will cost you vacation money + feeding money for your family and few friends that will attend..shikena.. From there your honey moon will continue, no extra cost for that one….Hian! Biko allow ppl to save money

• dubai2017

February 10, 2016 at 4:24 pm

that was exactly what i was about to say!!!! It’s way cheaper than having it in nigeria or england. Ignorance isn’t bliss sometimes.

18. Adenike

February 10, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Am just praying that God should send helpers that will assist me with my wedding, am cutting according to my size. Marriage is more important than wedding.

19. Annienonymous

February 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm

The same COZA pastor that recently went to spend his birthday on a lavish yatch in Dubai??!!!

20. Yawn

February 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Maybe…. Just maybe the couple wanted to have THEIR wedding in Dubai because it’s THEIR WEDDING AND THEY CAN CHOOSE WHEREVER THEY LIKE?

How can someone dedicate a whole post to criticising people’s choices for their weddings. It’s like a lot of you don’t have jobs seriously. Why is this an issue? Pretty sure every single one of you that left a comment used a foreign device to type while wearing clothes from abroad.

There are hundreds of weddings everyday in Nigeria. I’m sure a Dubai wedding will not cause Nigeria’s economy to collapse. Tired of you people trying to dictate how others should spend their money.

Except these people are related to politicians and others stealing the nation’s money, I’m struggling to see what the issue is.

Lastly, how is it the same people always “tapping into” these weddings that are changing mouth here lmao smh

21. Lol

February 10, 2016 at 9:31 pm

My dad isn’t wealthy. I’m working for my own money here in the states and I’m cool with that.

I said politicians if you read correctly but that’s fine.

• Nma

February 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

If you read correctly, they were trying to say that not only politicians have money. You clearly stated that other than being a doctor, lawyer or politician, they had to question their Parents where they got their money from. Ironically saying the money wasn’t clean. There are very wealthy people who have worked hard for their money and have never smelt political offices. So yeah, your comment wasn’t accurate and you got served.

22. Idomagirl

February 11, 2016 at 2:34 pm

People around the world have been having destination weddings for ages, but trust my people to make it a bigger issue than it is.

People fly from Australia, America, the UK to get married in Bali, Mumbai, Maui etc…. Some even get married in Dubai as well.

If a couple decides to have their wedding in Dubai, kini big deal? Are they begging you to sponsor their wedding?

And if Charles had bothered to do a little research, he’d see that sometimes wedding outside the country is easier on the couple’s pocket that wedding back home.
    Apart from the huge crowds at our weddings, many of our vendors are notoriously overpriced.

Leave people be biko and face your life.

23. TheRealist

February 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm

@kadara, a large wedding in Naija is still cheaper than a small wedding in Dubai…

• Nma

February 11, 2016 at 10:53 pm

You clearly don’t know what you’re saying. Having a wedding in Nigeria, particularly Lagos, Abuja, and sometimes Port Harcourt = very expensive, if you want a very small wedding and 10 million Naira pulls if off (which is hardly the case, cause it costs more) then be very happy. Some people do destination weddings in some cases cause it’s actually cheaper, as opposed to doing it in Nigeria. Nigeria weddings are usually extravagant.

24. myob

February 12, 2016 at 3:36 am

Money that u spend in dubai if you spend it in obudu is that not better, Some ppl they like form fake class.

Mostly this musicians acting richer than they are

Very soon nigerians will be banned from dubai