Style

Nnenna Okoye: ‘Facial Oils and Foundations’, a Combination I Won’t Try and Reasons Why

Nnenna Okoye

Nnenna Okoye - BellaNaija - November2015

Facial Oils are becoming increasingly popular in the beauty world. You can find celebrities, beauty gurus, favorite bloggers and vloggers talking about how they’re a must-have beauty item. Using oils to create a flawless and smooth foundation look is the newest beauty fad; however, it is one of the beauty trends I will not try.

Many beauty gurus rave about the importance of the oils and how they can transform your makeup routine and create a flawless foundation coverage; however, that isn’t the case for everyone.

One of the most popular oils is the Farsali Rose Gold Elixir; it is an elixir that has 24 karat gold flakes, it not only nourishes your skin but also gives you a healthy, natural luminous glow. Plus, it has anti-aging properties. Ingredients include rosehip, vitamin e, and orange peel.nnenna okoye farasil elixir bella naija march 2016

For those with dry and normal skin, using oils under your foundation can give you a glowing, dewy effect. But this doesn’t happen with oily skin. It makes you look shiny, oily, and sweaty, not luminous (there is a thin line between the glow, shiny, and sweaty).

When using facial products, you need to understand your skin and how products, like oil elixirs, will affect your skin. Products are designed with skin types in mind. Most beauty products will only work well with one type of skin (or maybe 2 hahaha). Once you know what type of skin you have, you are more educated to choose products that work for you, and understand why some products won’t work.

Using oils under your foundation isn’t a good idea for oily skin, especially if you live in a hot humid country. Using oil elixirs is best for normal to dry skin, but never oily skin. I understand the importance of oils and facial elixirs. They can work wonders to hydrate and nourish your skin. But I’ll stick to applying them at night (This is just my personal opinion). I am not against oils; I use the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Serum a lot at night.nnenna okoye kiehls serum bella naija march 2016

For oily skin, you should be using a primer under your foundation, not oil. Primers can help keep the oils in your skin at bay, and away from the skins surface. If you want glowing skin but have oily skin, use bronzers or highlighters to get the desired effect.

With all being said, using oil elixirs with my foundation is not something I will try. They do not work on my oily skin, and with the heat in this country (I am not about that roast life). I will continue to stick to using oils on my face at night before bed to rejuvenate my skin, but never under my foundation. Unfortunately, this is one trend I cannot recommend for everyone because we all have different skin types.

Until Next Time!!!
xoxoxo

Photo Credit: Farasil.com

My name is Nnenna Okoye and I am the editor of Youtopia Beauty. Welcome to my little spot on the internet! Needless to say, I am a beauty addict who loves trying out new products every now and then to satisfy my beauty appetite. I enjoy talking endlessly about fabulous beauty finds & tips! I am obsessed with skincaremakeup and I love shopping.My blog is the equivalent of that friend who always knows where to find the latest products and  which products actually work. This is me just trying to share my insider knowledge and tips with readers and writing my honest product reviews. My goal is to influence women everywhere on easy ways to boost not only their beauty but also their confidence. I promise to leave no stone unturned.

1. Kakah

March 31, 2016 at 7:14 am

You are sooo right. So do I not endorse matte foundations for people with dry skin or very elderly. For the aging, I say, if worse comes to worse, try oil free, not matte! If you have lips that always dry out, stay away from the matte lip trend! There are different ways you can achieve something close to matte for your lip type.

2. Busarni

March 31, 2016 at 7:32 am

Awww!!! Babe we finally here. You are BAE so also is ezinne Alfa. Stay winning dear;

• Nnenna

March 31, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Dear! God bless!!

3. Gerry

March 31, 2016 at 9:07 am

Can anyone please recommend a good foundation and powder for dark oily skin. I currently use Mac studio fix and Mary Kay matte foundation alongside a primer yet some days my face looks like a fry pan with oil

• K

March 31, 2016 at 9:30 am

Mac Pro longwear fundation is great for oily skin and lasts long too..

• Arit Okpo

March 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Apply Milk of Magnesia to your face instead of a primer. A light layer. Guaranteed to keep you oil free all day

• Ene

March 31, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi Gerry. I would suggest Kat Von D’s Lock it Tattoo foundation. It is matte and very full coverage. A little goes a long way and I can guarantee that your makeup will not shift all day! I have dry skin and even then its flawless on me. With my type of skin, I moisturize and use a hydrating primer first. You on the other hand should use an oil controlling primer. I suggest either Smashbox or Laura Mercier. Yes they are a little pricey but they work wonders. The foundation is $35 but like i said, you’ll be using it for a while. They also have a wide array of shades that cater to women of color. These can all be found on sephora.com.

• Nnenna

March 31, 2016 at 3:44 pm

try make up forever the hd one, Nars or loreal infallible matte foundation

• Lovemakeuptoomuchtoignorethispost

April 1, 2016 at 2:17 am

Depends on what you are looking for in terms of foundation. But I can tell you the Best one out there for for oily skin and also great coverage is Mac. If you don’t mind coverage as per smooth skin et al then try makeup forever. As long as you are not breaking out while using those brands you mentioned, you are good. All You need is to get a few things right. First of all, you need is a great primer (no7, Becca, milk of mangensia (although I don’t like this , it gives room for cakey application) you can also give the Nivea after shave balm a try, its long lasting although not so great if you have fine lines. stay away from silicone base primers they are for fancy when it comes to oily skin ( how to detect, when u rub a little on your skin or between fingers it has a slippery feel to it, eg smashbox avoid it!!!! unless you are comfortable seeing yourself after a few hours looking like vegetable oil )
      secondly, you have to use a setting powder, most people only set under eye but forget to set the rest of their face. There are various setting powders you could look into. Ben nye ( although this contains talc, so it gives a flash back in photos although also depends on how your apply it), sasha, Laura mercier and there’s this secret one also very affordable but I can’t say it here 🙁 The whole Nigeria and everyone else would buy it, which isn’t a problem but when the company is aware They’ll increase its price, now this is where I have a problem.
      Also don’t forget, application is key. Look into your application technique of products, it’s very important in controlling oil.
      Now go forth and flourish. X

• Lisa

June 29, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I have tried so many foundations… mac, two faced, stila, MUFE, nars, lancome,estee lauder, etc etc the list goes on. I have extremely oily skin and unfortunately it is acne prone…although I think my last round of accutane has finally solved that problem forever. The best foundations I have found so far are Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 hour foundation. I use this along with Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting primer, set with powder, and use blotting sheets if needed. Most recently I came across Loreal Pro Matte foundation and I have to say for the price it works very well! I love it and will use this more often compared to the lancome. I have also been using this clay mask that I bought on Amazon, it is called Aztec Secret Healing Clay. I use it about 4x a week and it has reduced the appearance of pores and helped with the excess oil. Good luck!

4. Makeup Immigrant

March 31, 2016 at 10:56 am

Oh wow, for someone who just slaps on mascara and a dash of lip gloss most days, this certainly is beauty care on a high extreme.

I think I will try that rejuvenating serum at night though. The less products on my face during the day, the better.

Can anyone recommend a lip gloss that actually lasts (I’m not a lipstick person) and a mascara that thickens and lengthens at the same time and where to buy? I’m in Lagos.

Nnenna, I’d appreciate your input on this yoo

• Nnenna

March 31, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Hi, yo can try the Anastasia beverly hills lip gloss BeautyRev has them, for Mascaras i like the ysl one and mac have a very good one too.

• Lovemakeuptoomuchtoignorethispost

April 1, 2016 at 2:41 am

Lipgloss hmm! Have you ever tried nude lipsticks? Using a liner that goes with your skin tone/the lipstick colour. Way too many nice lipsticks out there to be stuck using lip glosses( this is me trying to covert you to loving lipsticks)
      Mascara: try the mac extended play and also two face better than sex mascara They are great! And if still not satisfied try having falsies on *flutters eyelashes*
      Makeup stores in Lagos that usually stock these products beautyrev, mymakeupNG, accessoriesng, beautykink, beautyboon. keep checking on these stores, at the moment most of the items are out of stock (Dollar crisis) sigh*

5. Sisieko

March 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

Nicely written……
    I used to have really oily skin until I started applying oils to my face day and night. Since then the oil production has reduced greatly. … I apply foundation over the oil and even in the Lagos heat it doesn’t slip away. Most times I don’t apply powder after the foundation…. For me, the trick is to give a minute for your skin to totally absorb the oil or when I’m in a rush I dab off the residue with tissue and apply foundation. It always gives me that dewy finish which I love.

• whocares

March 31, 2016 at 12:13 pm

@Sisi- I agree with you.. putting oil on oily skin actually works. Its the science of it. They say your skin produces more oil because it lacks oil or something to that effect. I used to do that before. I got the little bottle of tea tree oil from body shop. It was a two in one. It cleared my skin and also dried up the oil. I havent used it in a long time though cos I switched to rose floral water. I spritz it on then apply aloe vera gel and then sunscreen moisturiser.. She is right though. A good primer is fantastic for oily skin
      @Gerry- I changed from MAC to Bare Minerals (they should have your shade as the liquid foundation has various shades). My skin is somewhat oily and I found mac foundations too heavy. I still find bare minerals too much but that is because I dont wear foundation on a daily basis so it makes sense that I am uncomfortable when I do wear it.. google it see it it works for you? It is the same price range as mac as well. I posted the link here for you if you want? if you get the brush, all you need is four drops (the brush is kinda expensive jare, so I use my daily brush but soon I might just close eyes and buy it cos it minimises how much makeup you use) gosh. you would think I am getting paid for advertisement. lool

bareminerals.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-BareEscentuals-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=US70732

• Cynthia

August 23, 2017 at 2:22 pm

it’s so true what you say Sisieko. i used to be a makeup artist very conscious of using oil based products. I went from having an oily skin, dreading oil based products to loving facial oils and even now selling them.

@bedivine_studio on twitter is where you can get some really great facial oils in Abuja Nigeria

6. Khadijat O A

March 31, 2016 at 3:02 pm

The reason why you may not have oily skin anymore from using oils on your face is probably a negative effect of the oil you apply–they could be synthetic oils which contain a lot of chemicals. So the loss of your natural oils could be due to the chemical destroying the skins natural process of producing oil.

Any oil that boasts of being 100% natural/organic and contains things like: mineral oil, propylene glycol, colour, fragrance(parfum); IS NOT 100% NATURAL! I have been a lover of oils for most of my life, I was particularly fond of real natural coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, groundnut oil most especially on my face(though I have oil skin), I was also fond of baby oil because of the scent and because I thought it was “safe” because babies were using it–I was mistaken!

After months of research for an article I was writing on ingredients inside cosmetic products(lotions, moisturisers, shampoos, bath soaps, makeup, etc) I discovered my beloved baby oils and baby products were more harmful than safe.

Though it is almost impossible to avoid most of these synthetic/chemical ingredients because they are contained in virtually everything we use, I would advice you all to just be knowledgeable about what you are using or what you may decide to use in the future.

I am currently using coconut oil(heat extracted) which you can get in the market and certain villages, palm kernel oil, palm oil(yes! Palm oil!), groundnut oil(yes again!) And shea butter(very cheap!).

Like I said above you can’t avoid everything, just try and use less, eat healthy, drink a lot of water, stay out of the sun and exercise regularly.

NOTE: Most of the synthetic/chemical ingredients are CARCINOGENIC–can cause CANCER!

7. Chiii

March 31, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Holla,
    nice write up
    please;I would like to know a facial cleanser for very oily skin as mind
    @Nnenna, contribution needed.
    Thanks

8. Chiii

March 31, 2016 at 4:09 pm

as mine*

9. Gerry

April 1, 2016 at 8:59 am

Thanks fam!

10. Ann

August 18, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Go try Illamasqua’s foundation. I have the oiliest fave ever and found Mac not good for oily skin. This foundation is bomb. It’s not matte, more of velevety smooth. I have never been happier 🙂

11. Mar

March 11, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for your website very informative.