BN TV

Battabox features 2 Families to Show how Nigerians Struggle with Power-Cuts Every Day | Watch

In this new video from Battabox, we get an upclose and personal look at two families in Lagos and how they have been coping with the power cuts.

The Sagoe family and the Adewunmi family live two different lives but equally suffer from lack of power and constant blackouts everyday

Mr. Adewunmi says “When it was NEPA, we get power one day on, one day off. But now power is unpredictable. We spend N15,000 (about $70) on fuel monthly”

Mrs Sagoe says “We need power for literally everything. We have light about 5 or 6 hours a day.”

Mrs. Sagoe’s daughter also laments saying “When there is no light, I can’t do my homework”.

Watch the clip below and let us know how the light situation is in your area.

1. iyke

April 2, 2016 at 10:15 am

Abacha kwa….??.
    On a lighter note,funny how the middle class lady (Mrs Sagoe) switched her accent when the interview began??
    Mr.Adewunmi seems like a nice man with a beautiful/shy wife…..poverty is really bad….Nigeria is a sad state.simple, basic necessities,we don’t have.

• bbbbbbb

April 2, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Funny I have a feeling she thinks of herself as upper class lol.

• nene

April 2, 2016 at 6:50 pm

lmfao. nigerians. smh

2. Bellemoizelle

April 2, 2016 at 11:24 am

I live with my uncle and his family and the generator is on most times than PHCN,there are 4 generators in the house,so we have ‘morning’ gen and ‘night’ gen ,it’s crazy….
    I think people on the mainland enjoy more PHCN than we wey dey form lekki people….
    My gosh my uncle spends too much on diesel chai,not exaggerating ooooo…..
    La vie est belle….

3. Tumz

April 2, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Nigeria owes its citizens access to basic amenities,this fuel scarcity and no light situation is terrible.the worst I ever experienced was the period after election and handover …there was no fuel and light for days..i had to even buy fuel from Benin Republic..The government needs to do better…I really do hope they are listening.

4. Letty

April 2, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Nigerians have got to be the most resourceful ppl on the planet. Look at mr Adewunmi responsible man and his beautiful wife, see how even though he lives in poverty he seems quite educated and is able to articulate his thoughts the best he knows how. Tears just came to my eyes when they brought out their ludo and board games to make the best iut of a tough situation.Ms Sagoe oyibo polished woman seems to have it going on and it appears she’s a single mother trying to survive and maintain her middle class life yet she struggles with keeping her generators working. I cant imagine living without electricity my mom keeps begging me to come home for good with my family how do we sustain a decent lifestyle running from pillar to post to buy diesel and live with such uncertainty . it has got to be by the sheer benevolence and magnanimity of God that houses and people haven’t blown up with those gallons of highly flammable diesel loitering all over the place.

5. fred

April 2, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Nigerians, I’m embarrassed on your behalf for your country. Simple basic amenity/welfare!…its a shame. All the youth know how to do is turn up, majority of the leaders re useless. Foreign investors run away, massive unemployment, tge country reeks of corruption n nepotism, awkward international image….#spits [giants of Frica my anus]
    |A concerned tourist.|

6. nnenne

April 2, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It’s an insult to ask for electricity bills and taxes when no services were rendered.
    Provide meters and charge only for services given to citizens.
    We want transparency! !!

7. Femi

April 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm

My Area in Surulere is worse off, the light basically blinks for 30 seconds like more than 3o times a day. I mean, who does that? This Nigeria en?. I am even looking at disconnecting myself from the PHCN power supply till everything returns back to normalcy. Isn’t it better to live on Diesel than on PHCN that wouldn’t give electricity yet issue exorbitant electricity charge at the end of the month? There is no light for more than 25 days in each month yet PHCN brings in crazy electricity charges to be paid.

I am appalled, embarrassed, angry and intensely disappointed. God help Nigeria

8. Horrible

April 2, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Let me tell you something funny. I haven’t topped up my card since october 2015.

Yes. There’s NEVER light in Magodo Phase 1. I’m certain that card will be in use till the end of the year.

Can’t wait to pack out of here and at least go to where there will be light even if for a few hours a day. Horrible conditions.

9. hezekina pollutina

April 3, 2016 at 2:56 am

Shame on the Giant Banana Republic! Suffering and Smiling. The mambo pole can be lowered even more surprisingly….resilience is for the birds! Get up Stand Up Nigerians!

10. PD Young Billionaire

April 3, 2016 at 4:24 am

Nigeria we hail thee!When will all these suffering end????

11. Zee Nee

April 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

Funny enough, we’ve had uninterrupted power supply in Ajah (Royal Garden Estate to be specific) for at least 2 weeks now. I’m actually surprised myself.

• Manny

April 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm

From my experience, when you praise them, you jinx it 🙁