BN TV

Yagazie Emezi thinks Your God-given Hair is always ‘Good Hair’ & answers Natural Hair Questions in her Vlog

BN TV

Yagazie Emezi

Lifestyle vlogger, photographer and cartoon artist Yagazie Emezi is out with a new video on her YouTube channel about hair.

In this video, she’s addressing different perceptions about ‘Good Hair‘ and what it is to her, saying “good hair all has to do with hair care, good hair has to do with how you take care of your hair” regardless of whatever hairstyle you have on or what length your hair is, “it doesn’t always mean that because you have long hair that you have healthy hair” and we couldn’t agree more.

While deep conditioning her hair in the video, she also mentions how irritates her when people attribute her maternal Malaysian genes to having good hair. Yagazie points out that people always ask “what what are you ‘mixed with’?” whenever they see her voluminous afro that’s been growing for over 10 years.

yagazie emezi hair video bellanaija april2016_Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 13.12.29

To conclude Yagazie goes on to say “nobody’s hair suits them more better than the hair you were born with” saying she doesn’t believe “your God given hair” isn’t a good look for you.

Watch the video

What do you think?

1. Chic

April 27, 2016 at 1:52 pm

thank you BN for the summary.

• Oma

April 27, 2016 at 7:23 pm

But could she be Betty with the good hair???

2. AmericanWonder

April 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm

“nobody’s health/eyesight / skin etc suits them more better than the health/eyesight / skin etc you were born with”

She doesn’t believe “your God given health/eye sight/skin etc” isn’t a good look for you.

So if you were born with ill health, poor eye sight, , conjoined twin, eczema/psoriasis and other kraw kraw don’t try to fix or correct it, it is God given, no glasses or corrective medical treatment, surgery would ever be as good.

• Ee

April 27, 2016 at 2:34 pm

It’s amazing how you can completely twist a message. You know that’s not what she meant. She also said you can change whatever you’re unhappy with so long as you find happiness. Don’t play the fool. I also love her response in the youtube commentary to the girl who said that tighter curls are harder for people to accept than her own looser curls.

• loosh

April 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Madam I think your are missing the point. Or intentionally neglecting it to sooth your opinion. She is saying many people are insecure and depressed because of the influence of Euro-centrism on our psyche as Africans. There is a difference between genetic or body defects and accepting who you are. My female cousin wants to die for blue eyes because she feels her brown eyes are bad. Just the other day it made the news of googling unprofessional hairstyles with Black Natural hairstyles coming up as search results.

Yagazie is just airing her opinion on issues people are scared on talking about. Asia and Europe are making billions on African’s insecurity. think of bleaching and hair industries and others.

It’s a case of – The-truth-is-bitter-but-will-shall-set-you-free VS Ignorance-is-bliss. Choose your poison.

• Wow

April 27, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Are you comparing one’s natural skin,hair and health to a known form of iilness? I am dazed?

• Ee

April 27, 2016 at 2:43 pm

You know that’s not what she meant so don’t play dumb and try to twist things haba. She also said that if you’re unhappy with the way you are, you should change it so long as it finds you happiness. I really like her response in the youtube commentary to that girl’s dialogue.

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 2:43 pm

So now, african hair is the equivalent of a skin disease or eyesight problems.. What you fail to realise is that skin diseases are an ABERRATION that is why they are normally called DISORDERS because they are BAD. You are suggesting that afro hair is a disorder and a disease that requires some form of treatment to enjoy the hair. If most black people were born with straight hair and only a few had afro hair your comment might make a modicum of sense. However, well over 90% of black people have afro hair. THERE IS A REASON WHY IT IS CALLED AFRO HAIR. Are you seriously suggesting that all people with this hair should view it the way that they view a skin disease? O da mi l’oju wi pe that relaxer has fried your brain as well as your God-given hair. Abeg receive sense if you can.

• An Afrikan Butterfly

April 27, 2016 at 5:10 pm

To compare her statement about hair, to a parallel one about health/ eyesight is problematic. I wear glasses, I have bad eyes. I can barely see without them. It’s a problem, so I wear glasses to fix it. To now compare your hair to that as the same thing? No, it’s not. Your hair, the color of your skin, they are not problems to be fixed.

Yagazie is not anti-relaxer, and neither am I. Feel free to wear your hair straight if you prefer, but not because you think something is “wrong” with your hair as it naturally grows. THAT, is a real problem that needs addressing.

3. Doodlebug

April 27, 2016 at 2:10 pm

We have heard ooo???

**flips her Relaxed hair and walks away**

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 2:48 pm

lmaooooo @ ‘flips’ we know damn well that the majority of women that use that nasty fibroid-causing chemical on their hair don’t have hair that is long enough or loose enough to ‘flip’. Most women with relaxed hair have ZERO movement in their hair. The thing can never be like white people’s hair. Sorry to tell you. All those relaxer burns just to get lifeless crispy hair. People with neck-length hair and no edges stay defending their right to fry their scalps. Lmaooooooooo

• JustMyComment

April 27, 2016 at 4:05 pm

…and the Natural Nazis have struck again.
      One-There are a good number of people with relaxed or texlaxed hair that is beyond shoulder length. Taking care of your hair, moisturizing it, minimizing heat damage, and all that comes with growing a head of healthy hair is not only for natural hair.
      Two-Let people make their own choices! Comments like your are why people cringe at the thought of natural hair sometimes. Stop bashing relaxed hair. Conversely, people with relaxed hair won’t bash natural hair. All hair can be beautiful and healthy.

• fabulicious

April 27, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Lies you tell. The good Lord has been faithful to many of us with relaxed hair and not only do we flip our relaxed hair but we are also mums who had no problem conceiving,not once,not twice, not even thrice and some have even closed shop on baby matters and are still retouching. Its not by force to be natural. I will never judge natural hair carriers because of one voltron like you because i know they are not all like that so please receive JESUS.

• KMT

April 27, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Sorry but I’ve just got to LMAO @ flipless, stiff crispy, relaxed hair LOOOOOOOOL.

• S

April 27, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Dear natural hair nazi, speak for yourself. I have been relaxing my hair since it’s SS1 ajankolokolo stage and it is long and very full. Hair dressers run away from me sef cause to them it is extra work. It is longer and fuller than my sister’s hair that is natural. So, relaxed or natural, it doesn’t matter. My edges are beautiful too. While we are at it, I even did a hair test at a natural/texlaxed salon (savvy chic hub) and all the people there were surprised at how healthy it was. Lest I forget, no inter racial or even inter-tribal mixture so I can’t claim indian or fulani ancestor. Just the usual exercise, eat well and go to the salon once in a while when I’m not lazy.
      I don’t attribute the healthiness or length of my hair to anything I do cause I’m lazy with my hair. It’s packed in a bun half the time or put in braids. It’s just God and genetics so please hush with all these relaxed hair attacked. It’s just hair! So next time you want to put people down, remember not everyone has to think the same way and whatever people do with their lives is not your business. Just do you and keep walking

• #flipwatnow!!

April 27, 2016 at 8:46 pm

gurlllll sit down!!! Everyone knows relaxed hair don’t flow nor can you flip it. How the hell you gonna flip them clumps of damaged hair shaft.. You think you white now!!, WHITE people now, their hair strands move individually okay sister girl. Your relaxed hair move in CLUMPS. NO FLOW CAUSE ITS DEAD DAMAGED – HAIR. I’d like to see you give yourself a whip lash trying to flip that mess. SMH

• What?

April 27, 2016 at 8:56 pm

@#flipwatnow!!
      You are really SICK in the head to refer to someone else’s hair as f–ked up hair. Very very sick. You don’t just need to take a seat, you need to see a mental health professional ASAP, no kidding.

• Mimi

April 27, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Sweetie. Speak for yourself o. Long full relaxed hair here. No fibroids and edges almost to my eyebrows. Sorry it’s not working for you but for someone of us it is. Biko not everyone wants and has the time to deal with natural hair. Do you and hold yourself ehn. Thanks. Plus in the wind….o n move baje!

• #flipwatnow!!

April 27, 2016 at 9:32 pm

@what, yeah I say f up hair you read right girl.,I hear you calling natural hair, nappy, jungle hair and that ANIT f up . Them that call themselves superior over you done beat you down good , you gonna try and look like them now!!. GURL that’s what I call DEFEATED!!. I just reversed it and flipped it back on y’all. I got news for you, your wide nostrils, thick lips and black skin done give your nigga ass away. SMH. I feel sorry for you. I’m done. They ANIT noting a self hating hypocrite like you got to say I wanna know about.

• Go to school!

April 27, 2016 at 10:36 pm

#flipwatnow, you need to first get an education with the meaningless indiscernible crap you just typed up there. cos this your grammar get as e be seriously, hair should be the least of your worries right now nne.

4. Amaa

April 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I love this chick . I have the same problem my hair is like yours in texture and I get asked if I am mixed especially with my pointy nose and I jokingly tell people I am and they say what mixture and I tell them Fulani lol. I guess her point is this you don’t have to have a mixture to have good hair . I rembered this girl in my school she had curly hair literally like a Latino and when I saw her parents I couldn’t believe it they where full blooded Africans with we concluded that she was either adopted(which was ruled out) or her ancestors where mixed. How ignorant of us then lol .

5. Ezinne Osuagwu

April 27, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Yagazie’s realness is bomb! I love her cartoons, but I love her hair more!!! My hair shrinks like crazy, sometimes I want to texturize then I go to instagram and see Nikki Anyansi and Yagazie, and I pick up my mayonnaise and head to the bathroom #hairgoals. Natural hair is good hair, my edges are starting to grow out now, I’m hapy with my hair. Be happy with your hair regardless of it’s texture. Do what makes you happy. E go better.

• beckywiththegoodhair

April 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

It’s funny that the two people you mentioned are both mixed. Maybe those people Yagazie is mad at are actually right.. hmmm

• hmm

April 27, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Nikki is not mixed tho… but bet you assumed that because she has ‘good hair’

• Benny

April 27, 2016 at 5:17 pm

@hmmm Nikki is mixed. Get your facts right

• Amaa

April 28, 2016 at 2:56 am

Nikky is mixed but her misxture goes way back further back than quarter which is negligible if you look at it I rembered her grandfather was the first oyibo to hold the kingship in nsugbe Anambra state

6. SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Lol just wait for the hair-hatted-hooligans a.k.a asian hair addicts to tell you that hair isn’t a big deal and that this topic is ‘over-flogged’. For people who say that it’s just hair and it’s no big deal. Guess what – if it were ‘just hair’ you would have your hair natural. If you don’t think that something is a big deal you do not spend a lot of time and money trying to change it or hide it.

Europeans and Asian’s do NOT fund any 10 billion dollar industry to sell them hair that looks NOTHING like the hair that grows out of their own damn scalp. Anyone who says that other races wear weave too is lying. What women of other races SOMETIMES get is called extensions. They get clip-ins that…*gasp*… ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE THEIR OWN HAIR! White women and asian women do not sit down, braid their hair flat on their head and sew in afro wefts on top and proceed to keep the afro hair in for months, rarely, if ever, washing their weave. As a matter of fact the only time you will see white people with an afro is at halloween or if they want to dress up as a clown. They don’t put chemicals in their hair to permanently alter the natural structure of their hair, thereby turning it into the complete opposite of their hair type using a product that has been linked to the development of fibroids.

Too many women are afraid to talk about natural hair in front of women with relaxers and asian hair because they don’t want to be the ‘natural hair nazi’. I say natural women everywhere should promote natural hair more fiercely than they EVER did before. This love of all non-african hair types is a sickness! You will never hear of any race of women that behaves the way we do. We have the most unique and versatile hair structure that God created. Naturally our hair grows up not down. It is a crown! It can lock, it braids well, carries twists well and suits our other uniquely african features. How dumb do we look as black women with broad noses and lips with this shiny stringy hair. You know damn well that a white woman looks a fool with an afro so why do we think we look normal with their own hair?

These Asians who don’t even respect black people are making BILLIONS of dollars off our self-hate and are cutting off hair from dead bodies to sell to us because they know that a fool and his money are soon parted and they know that the quickest way to make money off black women is to sell them something that allows them to hide reminders of their blackness. The world laughs at how people who are collectively poor manage to shell out money that they do not have for the dumbest shit imaginable.

• neeka

April 27, 2016 at 3:08 pm

long but wel written in spport for our hair. i cant stand weaves…good for ppl who like it. i wash and condition my hair every week…i braid my hair not with human hair and i still wash an condition it. my friends say im wack to wash braids…but i dont care. i cant stabd smelly hair. ppl need to understand dat the scalp just like the skin has dead cells too

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Something as basic as washing your hair frequently and people are telling you that you’re wack. That is crazy. It’s so funny how Nigerians are so quick to talk about white people being dirty and that they don’t shower lol. On the most basic level just compare our cities and their own cities and it will be clear who is dirty and who is clean. In fact white people wash their hair several times a week meanwhile Nigerians will carry brazilian hair for a brazillion years and see no problem with it. They will go clubbing with the hair, cook all sorts of strong smelling food in their kitchens with the hair and not wash it for weeks/months. Disgusting and sad.

• Ewa

April 27, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Guy/Babe, It’s not that serious. Thanks.

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Guy/Babe,

I agree it is not that serious at all to go to the extent of buying chemicals to straighten your hair and spending $10 billion buying hair from Asians when we are the poorest group of people on the planet.

I agree that self-hate should not be so serious that shameless black women do all this ridiculous stuff and have mouth to talk to someone who is telling them the truth. It really isn’t that serious at all to walk around with a stinking symbol of shame on your head.

It isn’t that serious at all I completely agree, which is why races that are more intelligent and advanced than us in every way don’t behave like we do. Black women are the only ones who think it’s serious enough to do all this dumb shit.

THANKS!

• Nahum

April 27, 2016 at 6:42 pm

@Saynotohairhats, you know the weave mafia will come after you. You should know that our women are very attached to their weaves and here you are trying to spit some truth at them. How dare you?????

• Philogynoir

April 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I see a subscriber of Tommy Sotomayor has found their way here. I find it hard to believe that any natural hair nazi black woman would use such talking points. It is so funny how Black men who dislike Black women cant just seperate themselves from Black women. Oh well, how can you seperate yourself from what looks like you?. What is your problem? See how you are littering this post with the nasty regurgitated rhetoric you learnt from that idiot. Stop with the respectability politics, the same respectability politics that is used to gun you down in the streets, put you in jail (give you longer sentences for the same crime committed as your white counter-parts) and deny you of opportunities. Anti- blackness sentiments have always existed way before black women started wearing weave and even if every black woman alive sports an Afro, from now till the end of time, such sentiments would still exist. So stop acting like non-blacks would automatically develop some kind of an affinity or respect for you. Stop taking out your frustrations of being a black man on a black woman. If you feel so disrespected as a black man, why dont you just run off a cliff or better still find a willing downtrodden becky to breed your sorry self out of existence. Black women do whatever you want with your hair, be it natural, relaxed, texlaxed or whatever, anyone that does not like what you have decided to do with your hair should move it to the left.

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Loooooool. First of all, Tommy Sotomayor is a piece of shit. However, I am intelligent enough not to commit the genetic fallacy which is to reject an idea or a theory based on who posited it. The man is extremely problematic on a number of levels, nevertheless he is completely, one hundred per cent on the money when it comes to the issue of black women and their attitude to their God-given features, especially their hair. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Secondly, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with respectability politics. Have I said that black women who choose to display their self-hate in this manner should be treated differently from women who wear their hair the way it grows out of their scalp (like normal human beings of any other race) ? No. I have not said that. All I have said is that it is important for black people to stop giving away $10 billion of our money every year to Asians in exchange for absolute rubbish!

As for your comments about anti-black sentiments, I am the most pro-black person EVER as far as my ideology goes. Malcolm X is my hero a thousand times over. He also talked hard to black people – he even has a speech called “White’s disease” explaining how black people fawn over white people and their features. He talked hard to black people on these issues because he knew that he was dealing with a thoroughly brainwashed people. Not because he was ‘anti-black’.

Also, I am not a man. I am a woman. Who also required someone to tell me the hard truth in order to become free from the deep-seated complexes that black people have about their God-given features. I have no desire to ‘breed’ interracially. I want to raise many BLACK children who are so comfortable with the way God made them that it would not even occur to them to do to themselves what black women all over the world do to their bodies in the name of ‘choice’. And no, I won’t jump off a cliff. 🙂

7. Uju Lilian Ikegbune

April 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

YAGA! My hair goal, I believe that good hair is healthy hair, My own hair use to be very scanty and not good atall whenever I use lots relaxer on it, I keep getting burns and an alopecia kind of hair, Then I figured that all these harsh chemicals aint good for me, so I decided to go natural, after 8 months, peeps who knew what my hair was like before, were shocked, some started accusing me of taking supplements. My natural hair now isn’t even that full and good enough, yet people are wowed, they should give me 10 more years, and I will pull a Yaga on them. Thank girl for sharing.

8. El patron

April 27, 2016 at 3:05 pm

but her mama na malay now…. but why all these problem? if you barb gorodoom! person wey go bala am..go still bala am.

9. Cheekie

April 27, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Yagazeeeeeeeeeee,my woman crush all day everyday. My natural hair goals is love my hair,treat it well and be patient with it..

10. Baby gurl

April 27, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Hair will always be a controversial topic, how tiring. Anyway, to the matter at hand, thank you so much Yagazie, for this. God always knows how to bring someone or something from nowhere to “sound” me some warning lol. My graduation ceremony comes up in exactly 3 weeks. I did the big chop on January 31st and by big chop I mean skolo as per Tuface Idibia style lol. For some reason I thought by now, just in time for grad, my hair will be full enough to get braids done. Only braids o. Kpere. But alas, despite all the shea butter and black castor oil, my hair no reach. I bought a relaxer kit last night and I’m waiting till the weekend to just perm the hair so that I can braid or even fix weaves. I have been wearing a wig since January but obvi, bcos of the mortarboard(graduation hat) that is gonna be too risky to venture lol. So I’m torn. This entire post has just disrupted my plans to perm and has reminded me of the reason I decided to do the big chop and go natural in the first place. Another option is doing the Chrisette Michele style and getting a natural red henna or blonde dye job for an edgy look (My mum will faint lol). I’m so confused – Baby gurl in Agony!

11. Segi

April 27, 2016 at 3:23 pm

It’s ironical how folks crave for freedom but will be the first to want to confine you to a norm?! You like your hair natural, great! I love mine with some creamy crack and lengthy extensions. You can try shame me all you want, but what makes me happy ain’t no one’s business; as long as I am not causing bodily harm. And no I am not trying to look like a white woman. Last time I checked, unless you apply a dozen product a typical black African hair does not grow out curly!

12. Cheekie

April 27, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Ahn Ahn Yagazie,ehn ehn so child you are mixed..I always said oohhh she has an exotic look,but didn’t know you are half Malaysian.
    But of course that helps joOoooor,lets be frank. There are quite a number of Indian-Nigerian or Indian-African girls,i meet at the saloon here in the states and damn their hair is looooonnnnggg,full,and healthy. Be it the natural sisters or relaxed ones. I think there’s no denying the fact that genes and race play/could play a role in good hair. Yes i do agree #Goodhair is all about how you care for it,but some people do the whole shibang and their hair is still #justnotOk.

My friend’s hair is relaxed and it’s longer than yagazie’s hair,she’s mixed too, half Yoruba,half Igbo (lol)..Long healthy,beautiful hair runs in their family(her mum,and sisters all have good relaxed hair)..My friend cuts her hair low and within 6months-1year it’s back to being long..She takes care of her hair,does the whole 9yards of hair care treatment….
    My hair growing up used to be really long and full,but i always cut it a lot and colored it and it sorta stunted the growth and damaged it a bit.

Just love whatever hair card you are dealt with..

• Dada

April 27, 2016 at 4:26 pm

That’s the sort of mentality she’s addressing. I know plenty of ‘unmixed’ black girl with longer and manageable hair. Their hair isn’t EASY to maintain, but it’s manageable FOR THEM. I think what she’s pointing out is not that she has good or bad hair or whether her own hair is manageable but when people thinks she has BETTER hair just because she’s mixed based on the texture or length. I’ve seen Indian-African woman with all sorts of her textures, some that don’t even come close to having ‘African’ hair so because they have less kinky texture to their hair, does that make them have better hair?

I think ‘good hair’ should be self-defined but not placed on other women outside of what you think of yourself. If you think that you have ‘bad’ hair because it doesn’t grow fast enough (it’s not as if there’s a growth standard for African women hair growth btw), that’s on you and you shouldn’t say other women have ‘bad’ hair because theirs is similar to yours. If you have looser curls and you think that makes you have ‘good’ hair, that shouldn’t set the standard of what is good hair for other women.

At the end of it all, I like that she’s saying have love for whatever you have or whatever you choose to change, but at the bottom of it all, have love for what you have.

• Cheekie

April 27, 2016 at 4:57 pm

@Dada….Please learn to read in between the lines,i don’t have the sort of mentality she is addressing…I talked about a friend having long healthy relaxed hair,i talked about myself also having really long hair growing up(and i am not mixed but i got it from my mother)… Never did i say good hair is exclusively to mixed race,all i said is it does contribute to it.. I have been natural for 2years and i don’t have to do much to it and it’s long,healthy and very full and i love my hair…

• Jay

April 28, 2016 at 2:06 pm

There’s this haireducation (?) girl on Instagram, she’s not mixed, she’s Yoruba and her hair is full and loooong. Hair of life on Instagram, she’s not a regular blogger, her name is Sandra, her hair is natural and it is loonnnnnng, she’s Igbo and she’s not mixed. You don’t have to be mixed to have full or long hair. I’m not mixed race as well, my hair is very full.

13. sorrynotsorry

April 27, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Nikki is mixed. I know her personally.

14. hezekina pollutina

April 27, 2016 at 4:36 pm

this chick seems cool. laid back and down to earth.

15. hezekina pollutina

April 27, 2016 at 4:37 pm

she said it took her 10 years to grow. thats a lot of investment of time no matter the hair texture. long hair is cultivated no doubt. nuff respect.

16. Dele

April 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

That’s why I only date white chicks! Lol

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 5:09 pm

lmaoo I don’t blame you brother! Why not date a Brazilian chick with her own hair instead of a self-hating negress with smelly Brazilian weave. I think if a man wants a woman with indian hair he’ll get an Indian not a bootleg brazilian.

17. Femi

April 27, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Some ladies look so ugly with their weave eh! I will be like is it by force? Why not be creative with your natural hair?

18. nene

April 27, 2016 at 5:02 pm

she’s mixed and her hair might be easier to manage. not everyone has manageable hair, even white people wear weaves because some of them have thin hair that never grows. if relaxers work for you do it, if braids or weaves work, do it. if its natural, do it. shikena

19. An Afrikan Butterfly

April 27, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Natural, relaxed, textlaxed, mixed o, 100% African, good hair is healthy hair. Love your hair and take good care of it. That’s what matters!

20. Fiona

April 27, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Dele and Femi Mr Same person with MPD…You do know you have been ratted out by your avatar right? And congrats on only dating white chics, another person with self-esteem issues, so because of hair and not intellectual dexterity.. What ever happened to we are not our hair?

21. angryBlackgirl

April 27, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I think you all are hypocrites and this really annoys me. To sit and judge people based on the choices they have made regarding the way they want to look is rather appalling. So what if I want to wear a weave, how does that make me less of who I am? Does it change my name? Does it change my heritage? Please tell me how. We have better things and issues to talk about… Instead of always dwelling on things that are not important.
    I am tired of girls always pulling out the hair card; I’m really sick and tired of it. If I want to save the world or if I save it, no one would be looking at my hair and going ‘Oh!!! She has a weave or she has an Afro’ because these things are not important.
    I think issues like these are always going to be raised by people who have inferiority complex

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Let me get this straight. The people who wear their hair the way it grows out of their scalps and encourage people to do the same have an inferiority complex but people that spend ridiculous amounts of money to get shiny stringy waist-length indian hair (without the indian nose and indian face to match) do not have an inferiority complex? Makes sense. You have better things to talk about yet you commented on this post. Does it change your heritage? Does it change your name? It doesn’t. Which is exactly why you look so daft with it. Uchechi Nwachukwu with hair that looks like it belongs to Priyanka Chopra. It certainly doesn’t change your heritage, it just makes you look like YOU’RE the one with an inferiority complex if you would spend even 50 kobo of your hard earned salary to avoid having the hair that naturally grows out of your own scalp as an African.

• Nnenna

April 27, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Aunty/Uncle please calm down, drink cold zobo (there’s heat) and breathe (deep breaths). Live and let live… You want to campaign for natural hair…great but if some of us choose to use “fibroid causing” chemicals let us biko. Its hair please… Every person’s personal hair. Be natural. its not your scalp. Thank you

• Says who?

April 27, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Who pissed in your bowl of cereal SayNo…..etc? Enough of this nonsense forming voltron on people’s heads. You can’t force your choice down anyone’s throat and vice versa, so please go and take a glass of cold water, you really do need it.

• Says who?

April 27, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Your aggression shows you have deeper issues you’re dealing with, cos I don’t understand such hostile attacks on people’s choices, people who don’t know you or care to. Get off BN and deal with whatever is doing this to u girl!

22. SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 7:23 pm

@Says who? Damn girl! you’re acting like I tried to snatch the creamy crack out of your hands! I’m not holding you, please continue to use it. It has already fried your brain cells beyond repair so my message is not for you because even if you stop now, your brain is already gone.

@Nnenna There is NO heat where I am, I don’t live in Nigeria so you can use that zobo to pour on your scalp next time your head is burnt with relaxer. It certainly isn’t my scalp which is why I don’t go into people’s homes snatching the relaxer out of their hands. I made comments on a post about natural hair and all you stinky weave wearers are angry. If you like drink the relaxer. As a matter of fact I recommend that you do so, that way we don’t have to rely on fibroids to stop you from reproducing and passing your slave-mentality and self-hate to any offspring. Stay blessed!

• Gem

April 27, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Asking someone to drink relaxer so they won’t reproduce over a post on hair… HAIR Nne HAIR!!!!!!!!. Jesu. Is this what we’ve come to??? Saying such vile things over a post on hair. You’re the one that sounds like you have a slave mentality and self hate. To bring unborn children into a post. kai. I don’t know why I’m hurt probably because you went too far over another person’s life choices.

• Says who?

April 27, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Wishing people fibroid simply because they have a differing view from yours shows just how dark your heart is.

• Chy

April 27, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Hmm!
      you even ended it with stay blessed!?
      Nne read what wrote.
      I hope like the most of us you realise that you need anger management classes

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I have already apologised and I’m not angry.

23. SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 8:01 pm

@Gem You’re absolutely right I shouldn’t have said that.

24. Baby Dee

April 27, 2016 at 10:13 pm

@SayNoToHairHats,
    Child, your issues are wayyyyyy deeper than Bellanaijarians can help you out with. You are rude, saucy, aggressive, vile, mad at the world, and just a plan distasteful person. If this is what natural hair turns people into, you just succeeded in convincing majority not to venture into it.
    There is a way and manner in which you can communicate your displeasure (but really, I don’t get why you or anyone would be displeased at another woman’s choices- one that hurts no one, especially you), or a different opinion. I pray to God that you are really no more than a 21 year old girl in a college dorm somewhere because there is no way this is coming out of a bonafide adult woman.
    It’s quite shameful to say the least.

Jeez!!

-BabyDee

• SayNoToHairHats

April 27, 2016 at 10:40 pm

How can wearing your hair the way it grows out of your head “turn” you into something. This kind of reasoning is indicative of a low intellect. I don’t know what gave you the impression that I was angry, all I have done is tell the truth I am not angry in the slightest. Just read my comments; I have told those who are so inclined to continue to ‘relax’ their hair and I have re-iterated that I am not holding your relaxer several times. Dark and Lovely is there for you wise people. As a matter of fact, there are fewer people relaxing their hair now so there’s way more relaxer for you guys!

• Beno

April 28, 2016 at 5:59 am

At baby Dee and your various multi personality avatar clones. It is okay. Thank you. Please don’t have withdrawals symptoms nobody is trying to wean you off relaxers. God forbid market killing spirit. Please use relaxers. I sell them in my mini mart and use them in my saloon. . I don’t use them on myself and nor do any of my female family members (we too clued up) Thank God for that. But when I read comments like yours I feel no guilt because I am rest assured that people Make that informed or misinformed decision to spend their money the way they want. I also sell cigarettes and bleaching creams. Don’t touch them myself but I’ve got a big clientele. Saynotohats I see you mean well but all I think is “this oversabi want to spoil market like auto correct by fire by force looool. My biggest clientele are Africans. Older Africans, I find the young sisi ones don’t use relaxers these days ( what is happening) they always come in asking for protective styles and organic stuff like black soap! . I charge them more looool. Best thing out of all this is that I can make some money out of peoples ignorance . Hey if macdonals can make money out of gluttony, so can I, after all business is business. Baby Dee and co to say thank you for your continuous patronage, if you guys are in the Peckham rye area send me your email details. I’ve got a buy one get one free offer on selected relaxers xx. I can throw in a free relax your hair offer to. It don’t matter if your relaxed hair is less then 6 weeks old. I don’t judge I understand your need to tame your hair.

• Smh

April 28, 2016 at 9:00 am

To add to my last comment which was for you (and not the real dee):

You proudly declare that you sell bleaching creams and cigarettes. Hope you sell cocaine and weed too, People like you who gloat over others, well, i have a question for you. Sit down and ask yourself what you have achieved with the money you have made from your shop. Think hard. We are not talking about being able to pay council tax (if at all you do). Your answer will come to you after thinking through. Good luck.

25. The real dee

April 28, 2016 at 4:41 am

All I’ll just say is that the day i heard a woman who converted from witchcraft and gave her life to Christ confess that chemicals to perm hair, and weaves were introduced from the marine kingdom to pollute the lives of people and deter them from making heaven, I threw my relaxer kit away and never permed my hair again.

Call me gullible, but when someone who has been an agent of the devil confesses that they initiated the production of something and it can prevent me from making heaven, I don’t want to get to heaven and get turned to hell because I did not appreciate the natural hair God gave me and decided to use chemicals to make it unnatural. Anything that’ll stop me from making heaven, no matter how much I love it, I shall drop it like it’s hot. Hell fire is not a place to be. I’d rather spend eternity with God. You may not believe, it’s your choice. I chose to believe, it’s my choice.

I did the big chop recently and my hair looks so beautiful, even Mr hubby who never wanted me to cut my hair loves my natural TWA and admits I look really cute. I feel so much freedom with my natural hair, i just spray with water and olive oil and it’s so soft to manage. When i feel like giving myself a treat, I co-wash and run water through it. I feel so good about my hair, God knows I’m never touching relaxers again or using on my girls when they come.

• Smh

April 28, 2016 at 8:47 am

The real dee, fair point. You made a choice based on what you heard. Some people choose not to wear trousers based on what you heard as well.

My point is every one is entitled to make their own choices. It is really irritating how self-righteous these folks are acting like natural hair is a ticket to heaven. Such self-righteousness and judgmental spirit will likely land a place in hell before the so called weave-wearing person who has a good heart and believes in God.

26. Smh

April 28, 2016 at 8:44 am

Please just shut it. Is it by force? Is it your hair? What the heck is wrong with people like you who decide to become Nazis over other peoples’ CHOICES. Peckham of all places, mschew.

• Beno

April 28, 2016 at 4:30 pm

So what’s your deal with me catering to people’s needs. See Gobe o!. And what is wrong with Peckham as a buisness area. Please don’t answer. You inconsistencies dey give headache.

27. Pipi

April 29, 2016 at 8:57 am

You see most of the people on this natural hair bandwagon are not doing it because of the “black woman identity” it’s because it’s trendy and looks beautiful so they want their hair to look like that cute natural hair girl on the other street. If something else comes up that’s trendy guess what they would jump on the band wagon. See how one person is tearing pant on top this post… Like 90% of nigerian women relax their hair and use weaves.