Relationships

A Boyfriend’s Love Letter to his Lade “You Are the Sugar in My Tea”

BellaNaija.com

A BellaNaijarian sent in this love letter for his girlfriend, whose birthday is today.

Here’s their tale of meeting at Uni, falling in love, to where they are now.

***

Love, from Piershill to Lagos…

Can I start up by saying Happy Birthday to you Lade? I write because it your birthday and I wanted to do something I have never done for you; write you a love letter. Now you can cross off love letter as one of the many ways I intend to say I love you. It’s so unfortunate that the art love letter writing has become obsolete. Nothing beats the feeling of tapping letters on the keyboard while listening to John Hiatt’s “Have a little faith in me;” trying to find the perfect adjectives to describe a feeling so abstract. Can I apologise in advance for any missed commas or full stops you might come across as this is one piece of written work you cannot help read through and correct mistakes.

I honestly can’t imagine how our story would have being written if I hadn’t attended that student union meeting back at uni. I remember you taking control of the room and bringing the room to order. The stern authority in your voice and yet being professional. You really did capture my attention then and still do now. Although it did take four years to capture yours; am happy that all my attempts were worth it and wouldn’t change a single thing. If I have to, I would throw another birthday party just to have a reason to invite you over. If I have to, I would take you to another handball game we know nothing about just to look stupid together. If I have to, I would watch another boring ass movie with you just to share that kiss at the end of it. If I have to, I would chase you down to Heathrow again for another chance to woo you. If I have to again, I would endure another Arik Air flight and just to let you know how perfectly matched we are.

Allow me to remix William Shakespeare on you right now, “but till all graces be in one woman, one woman shall not come in my grace. God fearing she shall be, that’s certain; ambitious, or absent is the future; wise, or I’ll none; virtuous, or parallel we shall be; fair or I’ll never look on her; mild or come not near me; noble, or not I for an angel; of good discourse, and excellent cook and her arse, her arse is got be as soft as the day she was born.” I was once told I might I have to go to Pluto to find this type of woman. Well, I guess I did because you’re definitely out of this world.

It’s amazing how you have made me grown and see things differently. It’s amazing how insanely you make up for my shortcomings. I can only look forward to the day I can offer you the title of wife and go on to fulfil the saying; behind every successful man is a woman. Just to let you know, when I do present you with THE little box, it will NOT be next to the window in Burger King!

Looking back I think we’ve the strangest time together. From me having to order you to be my girlfriend (who wouldn’t after trying for 4 years), to losing you in the streets of Oshogbo in the dead of the night. It’s amazing how memories are priceless when you are miles apart; memories of Lindt Lindor in Atlantis, memories of your packed assorted efo riro all the way from Nigeria. It’s was delicious! I love the fact that although am a chef who has worked in one of the best hotels in the world, you were the one that taught me how to make the perfect ogbono soup.

I hope you have an amazing day knowing that I miss you and really wish I could spend it with you. I wish you more success, blessing and happiness. Also enjoy your pack of Doritos, I remember you saying you were craving it.

When you do come across this letter online I hope it warms your heart like this cup of your favourite Douwe Egberts coffee I have being drinking curbing sleep with. I can’t wait for you to read this and then call me to correct my diction.

Love always;
Paapi

PS
I believe this letter won’t be complete without the classics. So here it goes…
…baby, you are the sugar in my tea!

1. olylicious

May 22, 2016 at 1:10 am

Hmmmm!!!! Lovely!

2. Zikky

May 22, 2016 at 1:23 am

Awwwwww. I love it. I am happy for her , happy she has a man who cherishes her this much and isn’t afraid to show it. I am glad for you Lade and I pray if you both desire it , that he presents you that little box soon. Gosh, I can’t contain my joy for you probably bc in my head, I long for someone and something like this and also bc I believe if he is bold in showing you off like this, he is definitely treating you right. Be blessed both of you and I do hope your heart flutters at reading his kind words to you. You are loved.

3. Tinuola

May 22, 2016 at 3:22 am

I love this!

4. Honeycrown

May 22, 2016 at 3:57 am

What a lovely letter and I don’t get impressed that easily when it comes to expressing mushy feelings. This letter moved me but I won’t say why so I won’t steal your shine. Happy Birthday Lade! May your love for each other continue to grow …. Amen.

5. le coco

May 22, 2016 at 4:15 am

HA!! I knew these men still exist…. lovely.. God bless the both of you…

6. ola

May 22, 2016 at 4:38 am

Lade come and read this oooo!!! It melts my heart, this is beyond cute

7. Sammie

May 22, 2016 at 4:56 am

Some Naija ladies are erratic, they want and desire lots of things but lack the emotional maturity to comprehend and prioritize exactly what they want. My advise to this guy is to thread with caution.

• Nonsense

May 22, 2016 at 8:44 am

No be only thread. Na needle! Abeg keep kwayet!! Don’t ruin the moment with your non-sense!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

May 22, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Oh my God! I have been laughing like a hyena at your comment. Thank God its raining and my neighbours wont hear me.

• Sisi

May 23, 2016 at 11:58 am

LOL, better reply for that troll. God bless this couple, I pray their love waxes stronger

• Troublemaker

May 22, 2016 at 9:29 am

What a joykill…… what has your comment got to do with this beautiful piece? Maka shift. Mtchew!

• Tootsie

May 22, 2016 at 11:42 am

Killjoy

8. Lizzy

May 22, 2016 at 5:20 am

When Love happens……. Sister Bella, abeg I want to do Ashebi when this love finally leads to the Alter…

9. Emmy

May 22, 2016 at 6:55 am

God thank you for this couple. Please, prosper and keep them.

Please, give me soft arse too oh. Chai

10. Rayva

May 22, 2016 at 7:05 am

Awww…….This is all shades of sweet. I love, love letters

11. Precious

May 22, 2016 at 8:30 am

This is love,not afraid and not ashamed, knows what it wants. How I crave for this.

12. Mama

May 22, 2016 at 9:01 am

Awwww, I go love oh! Lade, you berra don’t go and correct his diction….lol. The letter is perfect even with its short comings. I wish you guys bliss both now and forever.

13. Joshua

May 22, 2016 at 10:15 am

hmmmm! so much love in the room of this relationship. me sef d find love ooo

14. Todun

May 22, 2016 at 10:32 am

Lovely,hopefully Nigerian conservative nature to love,will start to move in the direction of showing more feelings and expression of Love like this.Not only getting hyper active in the bedroom when the doors are locked.

15. Todds

May 22, 2016 at 10:54 am

Pappi’s love letter confirmed the often less overlooked fact that indeed there are true gentlemen who love their women from the inner depth of their hearts. I pray that your love story shall warm many hearts.

Paapi, we share a few things in common in the way we express love to someone that means the world to us but in my own case, I did it for the wrong woman. I would constantly write her similar well personified sweet love letter, cook for her, explore holiday together, enjoy each other’s company (without sex as I strongly hold on to my faith) and just when the time was right, I popped the question, proposed in the most beautiful way beyond her imagination. Lagos was taken by storm. She cried and cried and call to tell the world how beautiful it was. To her friends and folks, I was special. To her, I was everything. She was deeply in love, well so I had thought. Marriage was looming, just 2 months to go & the bitter end happens. She ended it. I was losing my job (so it appears at the time and I had to open up but meanwhile I had started looking for alternative to hedge my risk). She became power drunk, got promoted at work. I soon became all sorts of incompetencies. And what seems to be the best love story became sore. Two years was lost. But God is ever faithful, He restored my broken heart and added more blessings.

Paapi, I pray yours is to a right woman. I really wish you all the best for the future and happy ever after in due time. Thanks bro for making the world a little better place that indeed true gentlemen exist.

• Ify

May 22, 2016 at 2:05 pm

oh no! she didn’t.

• Aggelos.

May 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm

@Todds, GOD bless you. And, HE will surely keep blessing you as you continue to draw on HIS freely-given grace to hold on to HIM, trust HIM, obey HIM and keep HIS commandments, and witness and testify of HIS faithfulness through and after every storm. HE will surely bear you on HIS Eagle’s Wings high and far above every potential turbulence and cause you to enter into and keep you in HIS Rest. Your testimony, (for such it is, GOD saved you from a loveless/one-sided love marriage to a parasite who just wanted to suck you dry, who was only in a relationship with your job and position and the associated benefits and never with you, and who would have manifested this along with all the attendant problems once married to you; GOD saved you from a jail-term you would have been exerting whatever strength you had left over from dealing with with the hell in your home, and working on your job, to disguise to the outside world was a marriage.) is inspiring and your spirit, through your post/comment, gives off a good fragrance. Thank you for bearing witness. GOD will blow your mind. HE will do beyond what you could ever imagine for you. And, you will bear witness anew in JESUS’Name, Amen.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

May 22, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Hello Mr. Todds!

I love the genuine humility in your comment even though you are/were experiencing pain. Some of us, in our lesser moments, have strutted around in arrogance, playing victim to the hilt.

Thank you for the lesson shared.

• Olasubomi

May 22, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I pray my heart gets mended like yours did, Todd. And some day, I hope true love finds me.

16. Jojononz

May 22, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Me sef go love oooo……….i love una love, e dey make me believe say I go find my own lurr

17. Pink

May 22, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Hi Todds, here’s a warm hug ?. It is well!

18. xaai

May 22, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Oh my! This is what I crave…any man out there for this 3year old incurable Roman c?ar

19. xaai

May 22, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Oh my! This is what I crave! Any romantic man out there for this incurable romantic 35 year old lady* side eyes*.. I adore romantics! Sighs.

20. Nkem

May 22, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Oh dear @ Todds. The best will come to you.

21. Apples

May 22, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Aww! This is lovely!!!

Wow!!!! And I thought all Naija Men are now Demons???? So some angels still exist!!

I’m jealous o!!! Baba God send This type my way Amen!!!!!

22. Rer

May 22, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Sorry for what happened
    P.S lemme know if you still need a friend.

23. chief

May 22, 2016 at 4:16 pm

@Todds,first of, i think by now you must have realised that women are nothing but ingrates and ungrateful creatures..There’s nothing like “love” rather focus your time on making money which makes you a real man.Secondly,you devalued and degraded yourself by cooking for your woman,your don’t do that.How can a grown ass and a real man cooks for his woman? Thirdly,never allow your woman grow wings or accumulate power more than you,she may use it against you.e.g i never allowed my woman to further her PhD programs because it will boost her Ego. Please don’t talk about love,go and get that money,women cares only about your financial statues and there’s no love in marriage or relationship.Next time don’t be more open to being hurt,don’t be too nice or makes her too important,Don’t be deceived.

• Abi

May 22, 2016 at 10:12 pm

@Chief Who your belly aching epp now? Not you, not Todd, not Paapi, …no one! Any ow, I pray even you find true love and that when you do, that God gives you the grace to love back and not mess up one of life’s greatest miracles.
      I pray it for you, for me, and for every heart that has ever longed for a happily ever after. Amen.

24. miini

May 22, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Hugs for you Todds. Yes God is forever faithful and he saved you from what you ddnt know. Your “happily ever after” will come

25. Abuja Bored Girl

May 22, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Aww this letter is beautiful. I wish you guys all the best together.
    Memoirsofanabujaboredgirl.blogspot.com

26. Noms

May 22, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Expressing love is being vulnerable not minding what the response will be but what it is,a romantic knows the message has been sent.
    Many of us want this kind of love but when was the last time you sent a lovely sms to your love interest not spouse ooo. We mostly guard our hearts and keep room for shock absorbers “just in case” it doesn’t work out .
    Personally,I have learnt to be more expressive but it always better when the person appreciate and is on the same page.
    Most women have the notion that men have to love 60% while women 40% truth is everyone wants to be loved.
    Feel free,love and love will come to you.
    Thank you Pappi for expressing your love to your woman without fear. I wish you guys we’ll. In Timo Dakolo’s voice “forever is just a start” Lade please keep keeping up.

27. Gbemisola jaji

May 23, 2016 at 8:42 am

Awwww,titilade mi dis right here really melts my heart,am so happy for you sis, cant wait to come to naija for u guys wedding.may God be with you both and continue to shower his love on both of y’all.

• paapi

December 30, 2016 at 1:19 am

hey gbemi, heard so much about you! hope you are well….

28. ABDULHAKEEM Olanigan

May 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

fantastically pure love in action! Wish you guys best of luck. Oya babe grab your true copy now o. Cheers