BN TV

BN TV: Learn How to Make Oatmeal Fufu on Episode 2 of Bukie’s Kitchen Muse

BN TV

Bukie is out with a new episode of her Kitchen Muse vlog and on this episode she is showing how to switch up a popular Nigerian dish and make it more healthy.

Watch how to make oatmeal fufu below.

1. lovely

May 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm

i am ghanaian and my favourite food is banku and okro stew but as much as i loved it – it so high on carbs (banku is maily fermented corn and cassava dough mixed together to make banku). so i avoided it the best i can even though i loved it until a nigerian friend of mine introduced me to quaker oat meal fufu, since then i have been eating it for almost 5 yrs now. Its so good.

If you live in USA and you shop at walmart you can buy the instant oat meal or the Old fashioned oatmeal it doesnt matter.

My way of doing it is i blend it with water. once up oatmeal one cup water pinch of salk, and as i stir it if i need more water i add it. The best meal ever if you love your african sauces (okro stew, egusi stew etc) but want a less carb saturated fufu to go with it

• AmaPra Twia(Ghana)

May 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Banku and shito with fried fish is where it’s at! It’s also really good with okro stew. But I’m all about Waakye and Shito or Fuofuo and light soup with okro. But Oatmeal fuofuo isn’t true fuofuo as in Ghana, it is usually made from pounded Cassava, Cocoyam, Plantain and this other root plant that is found in the forest of Brong Ahafo(I’m from Brong Ahafo and there are a lot of it there) and it is really sweet but the sweetness is often masked when you pound it with cassava, cocoyam or plantain. It reminds me of meatless meat or even cauliflower pizza which isn’t true pizza nor is meatless meat true authentic meat.

• missnk

May 15, 2016 at 3:48 am

My mum started using oats as a substitute for garri and co. I just mix the oats (I blend in a dry blender into powder), with water and stir and pop in the microwave for 4 minutes. when its out, you just turn it over once or twice and its the perfect consistency

2. AmaPra Twia(Ghana)

May 14, 2016 at 11:13 pm

This is what I call fake fuofuo. This is nothing but pretend fuofuo as real fuofuo isn’t made from oatmeal. Fuofuo is very high in strach and carbohydrates. I eat fuofuo and Banku(a Ghanaian food made from fermented corn and cassava flour). I enjoy eating these two meals amongst other Ghanaian dishes but I eat it in moderation.

3. Catherine

May 15, 2016 at 5:16 am

I am so glad BN posted this; I was thinking of making okro soup today, and was wondering what healthy ‘swallow’ I could eat it with since my food processor is refusing to powder the wheat I brought back from Ghana. I am going to try this today; I will mix the oatmeal with oatbran to get in some more fibre. Thanks

4. Plumpy Girl

May 16, 2016 at 12:08 pm

@Catherine: which one is oatbran and where in Lagos can I get it oh? I also wanna get in more fibre. Merci