News

Court Dissolves 7-year-old Marriage after Husband Raped Wife’s Sister

NAN

dreamstime_s_42573597A 33-year old businessman, Kamoru A., has lost his seven-year-old marriage to his wife, Oluwaseyi, for raping her sister.

An Igando Customary Court in Lagos State severed the relationship following allegations of infidelity brought against Kamoru by his wife, Oluwaseyi.

The court’s president, Adegboyega Omilola, noted that the couple was tired of the marriage, saying “all efforts to reconcile both parties had failed”.

“Since both parties have consented to the dissolution of their marriage, this court has no choice than to dissolve the marriage. The court hereby pronounces that the marriage between Oluwaseyi A. and Kamoru A. is dissolved from today, and both parties, henceforth, ceased to be husband and wife. Both are free to go their separate ways without any hindrances and molestation,” Omilola said.

The petitioner, Oluwaseyi, 33, a food vendor, had sought the dissolution of her seven-year-old marriage because her husband raped her sister in their matrimonial home.

“My husband raped my sister when I left our house for a night. When I returned, my sister told me that my husband who had been making advances toward her succeeded in raping her. When I confronted my husband, he admitted raping my sister but attributed his action to the devil’s handiwork. Because of his action, I packed out my belongings including my children from my matrimonial home,” she said.

The mother of two said that her husband was in the habit of beating her at any slightest provocations.

“My husband is a wife-beater, he started beating me from the first day of our living together,” the petitioner said.

She said that her husband had refused to pay her bride price.

“We were not legally married. He refused to pay my dowry,” Oluwaseyi said.

However, Kamoru accepted the allegation of raping his sister-in-law claiming that it was a mistake.

“I know I have made some mistakes and I’m sorry,” he said.

The respondent said that his wife used to disturb him with constant prayers.

“Oluwaseyi is a prayer warrior, she always disturbs my sleep at night with her frequent prayers,” he said.

Kamoru said that his wife packed out of their matrimonial home since 2014 and had refused to return.

1. Benson Ossai

May 19, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Why were you staying with a man that is not legally married to you?English man called it cohabitation and it is a big sin before God.He did not pay your dowry and you decided to pack your belongings to go and live with him?Even born two pikin how will he respect you he sees you as a cheap commodity.Babes please marry honorably stop rush rush before guy go say Jack Robinson babe don pack her belongings come stand attention for guy door mouth na wao
    and you Mr Kamoru. how cld u?You know see any babe na your wife sister u come dey eye no be even eye rape her?Haba. if your kokodiko dey scratch you u for wait for oluwaseyi to come back y raping her sister.Abeg court jail this guy or better still castrate him.You are poisonous to the society.Kamoru the name sound like person wey dey bang jaki and akuya.

• le coco

May 19, 2016 at 5:04 pm

they were legally married.. the woman just didnt know what she was talking about.. they just were not traditionally married since he didnt pay her dowry….. the only way the court can dissolve a marriage is if they are legally married

• Kadara

May 19, 2016 at 5:51 pm

@ Benson, For the court to be divorcing them it means they were legally married so what are you on about?

2. Audrey

May 19, 2016 at 3:22 pm

He wasn’t arrested? shame!
    Her sister should have spoken up when he started making advances. The mistake most of us women make we talk too much without listening and we extend this same behavior to God. I believe the holy spirit must have tried giving her heads up but no, pray pray,no listening. God forgive me for judging.

3. Puzzles

May 19, 2016 at 3:24 pm

God bless the wife for doing the right thing and leaving the wicked man. Some will chase their sisters out for “seducing” their husbands and “trying to destroy” their family.

Now, they are divorced. I hope he will be prosecuted for rape. Society should not be allowing men to go scot-free with rape because “it was the devil’s handwork”

4. Abeg

May 19, 2016 at 3:49 pm

“Even born two pikin how will he respect you he sees you as a cheap commodity.

Even where there is no need to blame the woman, the blame arises. So no disrespect for the man? She wasn’t beating him, wasn’t raping his brothers, and the women legally married to men who still beat them nko? What is their blame? Did they cook well? Were they good in bed? Why weren’t they praying the devil’s handwork away? Na WA o

BN what kind of comments do you approve? We have Paul Adeyemo, Yeyeperry, Egghead and co who viciously attack celebrities and insult women and you approve the comments. So what’s the point?

• Monique

May 19, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I wish I can like love this your comment a million times! You are too much!

Truth is this, the fact that a man did not pay a woman’s bride price does not give him the right to diisrespect her. Period.

• Corolla

May 19, 2016 at 4:29 pm

@Abeg. Thanks for responding to that mentally demented Benson. Nigerian women have suffered sa. This is the mentally of the average Naija man and it’s scary.

• Mr. Egghead

May 19, 2016 at 4:32 pm

? ?
      I don’t insult women. Please put some respeck on my moniker.

• Cheekie

May 19, 2016 at 9:05 pm

@Mr. Egghead. You do…..Either you are telling them to shut up. or you are calling them bitch,or you are making reference to their time of the month,the list is endless… @Abeg wish i could love your comment a thousand times.

• Tunmi

May 19, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Thank you. I had no words sef. Some people do living together and some people do marriage. But you completely ignored the man who did wrong

5. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

May 19, 2016 at 4:32 pm

But sometime we women are the architect of our own problems. Why stay and have children for a man who did not marry, you. Please women need to have some sense of self worth cause if anything happens the man would leave you and the kids and go to another.

6. Noms

May 19, 2016 at 4:38 pm

@Abeg, in this case, I join in blaming her for staying and having two kids without the dowry being paid. She didn’t sound like he didn’t have the money to pay.

Let me tell you this story and tell me who you blame…..I moved into a flat I shared with one of my besties. Our neighbors were a young couple with a new born. Wife is a graduate awaiting NYSC, husband a hustling business man.
    After 6 months, wife brings in her younger sister to live with them.
    One night, we heard serious shouts and screams of someone being beaten, we rushed out and saw wife beating her sister with everything in sight..mob stick, shoes, bucket etc. We intervened and she stopped but refused to tell us what happened..
    The next weekend wife and sister travels to their home town and said they will be back in a week.
    One week past, 2 weeks, running into months, they still haven’t return. That was when we got to know the full gist that resulted to the merciless beating the other night.
    Wife caught husband having sex from behind with her dear younger sister. Upon confrontation, Dear husband said Dear sister seduced him and this has been going on for long. That dear sister threatens to kill herself each time he refuses her of sex. This apartment is a 2-bedroom apart with the room doors facing eachother oooo, so its not a mansion where they sneak to another part of the house to commit the act.

Dear husband began to apologize to his wife and asked his family members to join him. This was where another revelation came out….they were never married. She insisted on her dowry being paid before she returned back to the house.

Fast forward to today, she is back with dear husband without the dowry paid and living together with their son.

Now, if anything happens to this woman who would you blame??

Personally, I would have preferred the single mum title after finding out about my sister and hoped for the best but she made the choice to be with her man and YES, I BLAME HER FOR HER CHOICE. SHOOT ME!

• Corolla

May 19, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Sorry, but what does your cock and bull story have to do with rape?! That a woman living with a man who hasn’t paid her dowry is responsible for the man being a rapist? Like how do you even think sef. Why is it that my fellow country people can be this retrogressive. Always wanting to blame a woman for a man’s shortcoming.

• Noms

May 19, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Dear Sir/Madam, my cock and bull story simply drives the point that some women actually allow the things that happen to them. She didn’t charge her husband for raping her sister she packed her things and left the marriage after all he refused to pay her dowry. I’m sorry you can see where I’m getting @.

• Noms

May 19, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Can’t see.
      He has been beating her and she didn’t pack out. Married or not it a wrong thing for the man to have raped his sister-inlaw. Rape can never be right in any form and BTW my response was to who said it was always quick to blame women.

• Kadara

May 19, 2016 at 5:50 pm

@Noms, what are you on about? For them to be getting a divorce that means that were legally married or else the courts would not even be involved. So she was legally married to him. The ironic thing is many married men who beat their wives say after all this is a woman I paid for . So if they pay dowry many still see it as owning the woman and she dare not refuse anything he asks of her . So who has dowry helped? If a man cannot respect his wife upon the legal marriage then is it one dowry that will make him? You lot just love to blame women

• le coco

May 19, 2016 at 7:37 pm

So he wouldn’t have raped the sister if he payed dowry? r u educated at all. ?

• Corolla

May 19, 2016 at 9:46 pm

@ Le cococ, help me ask o. The lack of critical thinking among some BN commenters is alarming!.

7. Zeeebby

May 19, 2016 at 4:50 pm

When is he going to be charged and arrested for RAPE!???

8. Dunni

May 19, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Like paying her dowry or marrying legally will change anything….
    We have lots of women out there who are legally married and same thing still happened to them.
    The man wouldn’t have behaved differently.
    He is who he is!!! A rapist and a wife beater….. Shikena….

9. mum

May 19, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Who cares weather he paid her dowry or not, the man is a rapist and he should be charged. Kai Nigeria! misplaced priorities.

10. le coco

May 19, 2016 at 7:38 pm

So he wouldn’t have raped the sister if he payed dowry? r u educated at all. ?

11. Toluwalope

May 19, 2016 at 9:33 pm

I am appalled at some of the stupid comments made here.Common sense isn’t common though.What has the payment of bride price got to go with this?As if your fathers paid your mothers’ bride price,smh!

12. Sai sai

May 19, 2016 at 9:57 pm

So many people are masochists and don’t even know if they have a problem..why else would a man hit you just once and you still stay with him…somewhere in my conventional mind I seem to fink wife beaters are rapist too, I mean if you can violently assault a woman physically, what stops him from violating her sexually..
    My Fellow women/girlfriends/side chic please dump his ass the min he slaps or even pushes you.As of now, wife beaters have become clichės
    ..I am sick to my bones of hearing/reading about these kinda stories

13. Dorable

May 20, 2016 at 7:44 am

Wait so all the court did we dissolve the marriage after the man admitted guilt to rape and violence? No time served? No case trial for rape?and hes just gonna go to the next woman and rape and batter again. No correction for evil whatsoever. Gosh Nigeria. I feel like crying for this nation but iv run out of tears