Scoop

From Lagos to London! Minnow Films documents the Lifestyle of “New Successful Nigerian Elites” like Toke Makinwa, DJ Cuppy, Ozee & Ocee Mbadiwe and More

A couple of months ago we brought you the scoop that media personality Toke Makinwa was in London to shoot a documentary for UK’s Channel 4.

Click here if you missed it.

The documentary is set to air in June and we have more details.

According to Production Company Minnow Films, the documentary “Lagos to London: Britain’s New Super-Rich” is an observational film about the successful Nigerian elite that lives between Lagos and London in the vanguard of what had been dubbed ‘The African Century’.

Temi Otedola & DJ Cuppy

Temi Otedola & DJ Cuppy

Ozee & Ocee Mbadiwe

Ozee & Ocee Mbadiwe

The documentary will focus on the new wave of super-rich that are spending big on luxury, education and property.

Filmed over six months, this fun and fascinating documentary from Minnow Films follows the lives of a handful of wealthy young Nigerians as they live what’s dubbed ‘the shuttle life’ between Lagos and London.

The documentary follows the likes of media personality Toke Makinwa, DJ Cuppy, fashion blogger Temi Otedola, twins Ozee and Ocee Mbadiwe, jeweler Alexander Amosu and more.

“Lagos to London: Britain’s New Super-Rich” will air on Tuesday 7th June at 10pm on UK’s Channel 4.

Will you be watching?

See more details here.

1. Fisayo

May 26, 2016 at 2:18 pm

The Daily Mail commenters club are going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Bring it on!

• TheRealist

May 26, 2016 at 5:10 pm

LOL! Count me in…

• FasholasLover

May 26, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Who cares? I’ll watch jare. It’s not that serious.
      Go Toke, Go Toke, Go Toke. Hahahahhah.
      You lot sha must have BP over Toke matta. The girl is hard working. Give her some credit. Even, if you do not like someone, at least. give credit. Some of you take this anonymous blog matta to heart. There are people l disagree with here. Hell, l even cuss them out but, that does not stop me from liking their comments when l agree with what they say. Some of ya all hv unforgiving spirit and hearts filled with grudges.

• Mee

May 26, 2016 at 11:15 pm

This BN can like to throw small small shade…. c all d actual rich kids names in Capital and bold font, meanwhile Aunty tokes own, if u nor look well, u’ll miss it. 😀

• Ebony

May 27, 2016 at 8:59 am

“The documentary follows the likes of media personality Toke Makinwa, DJ Cuppy, fashion blogger Temi Otedola, twins Ozee and Ocee Mbadiwe, jeweler Alexander Amosu and more”
      Lol, so Ozee and Ocee Mbadiwe are twins for a living? Is that their occupation/hustle?

2. ab

May 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

i tell you Fisayo….Mba, I’m not watching…So now Toke is part of the elites? Lol (Ok yall on the Toke isshhh dont come for me cause I wont be responding! We need more substance, show me a docu featuring top Nigerian born or just africans sef who are lawyers, doctors, accountants, engineers etc in high flying careers and let me see how they got there in this ever challenging global economy then I will smile down atcha…

• TheRealist

May 26, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Why Nigerians must always have a stick up the nether oriffice over every single thing.?

Life comes in all dimensions, sometimes serious and sometimes downright vacuous – but it is this pluraity that makes our lives so rich. If you do not think there are enough programs about successful Africans making it in London (as if that is inherently better than making right here in Africa where they can enrich so many more lives and be everyday role models without even trying but merely by being), then abegi run off and make one – perhhaps that will be you own route to success. But abegi leave others to take a break every now and then to enjoy some silliness on telly – not when folks keel over at 30 from hypetension, someone starts blaming the so-called “evil” people and casting Holy Ghost fire! SMDH

3. Mr. Egghead

May 26, 2016 at 2:56 pm

“Spending Daddy’s money” is not the definition of a successful Nigerian.

• Onozi

May 27, 2016 at 4:36 am

If your father have money, please go and spend it too. Abi who go help the man spend his money if not his kids….. Please work very had now and stop hating rich kids so your kids will see your money to spend…….

4. Vote Brexit

May 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Whatever.
    Are nigerians voting Brexit or Bremain? Seeing as most Nigerians here vote Labour for nothing other than their ‘apparently favourable’ immigration policy & social benefits whereas in reality Nigerians are more conservative in ideology (Tory voter here). Nigerians do not subscribe to the socialist ideology of being equally average with everyone else, high taxes to support the lazy or want limits on wealth and free enterprise. So with this referendum, will they be supporting Bremain which will continue to give preference to Euro immigration over others – discriminates Nigerians seeking job options here because EU policy requires employers to give preference to EU nationals, and give evidence they have searched all corners of the EU for a candidate to fill said job. Only after such search yields nothing will they consider a non-eu national. Or Brexit which will free us from such constraints and allow us to recruit the best talent regardless of nationality. So while the argument for brexit appears very anti-immigration (for the less informed), on the flipside it will allow us to create a more skills based policy. As it stands, a Romanian dishwasher can just waltz into the UK job or no job but a qualified and much needed doctor from Nigeria, India or even America has to jump through hoops & have a job offer before they’re granted a working visa.

I’m ignoring other arguments here because in all my encounters with Nigerians here, they are only interested in voting if the party policies enable them to milk the system, bring more of their extended family here and turn London to Lagos, London Branch.

• Ms Geeky 30

May 26, 2016 at 4:45 pm

@ Vote Brexit, please stop! This is an incredibly short sighted point of view. So you think limiting immigrants from the rest of the European Union equates to more open immigration for Non-Europeans? Really now? Come on! I cannot even begin to state all that is wrong with your thinking.

You think that the only reason Nigerians living in London vote labour is immigration? Are you for real? Please stop it. Nigerians are incredibly intelligent people that care about all sorts of issues not ‘how we get to milk the system, bring more of their extended family here and turn London to Lagos, London Branch’. Such an incredibly patronising, derogatory and disparaging statement to make! Who do you think you are? How about equitable access to top tier education based on hard work and results not background and family ties? How about diversity in the work place (females and ethnic minorities)? How about tax laws geared towards relieving the burden of the poorest rather than making the richest even richer?

There is so much that is wrong with the points you have put forward that I am at a loss as to where to begin. Please tell me where the ‘ganja’ you have been smoking is grown so that I can go and get me some and live my life under delusions that suit me as well.

• Vote Brexit

May 26, 2016 at 5:05 pm

@Ms Geeky 30- I acknowledge those points but as I specifically said, I’m limiting my argument to a narrow point. Plus I’m sure the intelligent ones are either Tory voters or apathetic . And I really don’t care if you or anyone else thinks my views are derogatory.
      Please make sure you’re registered to vote and vote Brexit!
      youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

5. Mely

May 26, 2016 at 3:38 pm

My thoughts exactly!! Who wants to bet the number of the lovely DM comments will be “curropt AFRICA (cos Africa is one country duh) coming to our country buying our properties with their blood diamonds money” ?? who else is going to buy it? They certainly can’t afford it themselves income support doesn’t stretch that far.

6. kkay

May 26, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Stop spreading the vanity, BN!
    …. a “handful” of wealthy Nigerians is very apt indeed since a great number of 180 million Nigerians are poverty-stricken.
    Please, promote successful Nigerians who are committed to making a positive impact on the economy and lives of ordinary people.

7. just bored

May 26, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Am voting out… I won’t even comment on the reality show.. I know a lot of Nigerians (not daddy’s money) that have done well for themselves. These are the ones we should be showcasing…

8. SEUN

May 26, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I live and work in Germany with a fortune 50 company, I earn a 6 digits salary in euros and I am an authoriy in my field and beyond.. In my lifetime 5I am just 32), I have had 7 scholarships, but I have not been refered to by the typical nigerian as overly important.

I really believe nigérians need to be more objectivein their thinking and how we celebrate mediocrity. Nowadays, these is all we see, and nothing about people who truly worked hard and continually contributing to the glory of Nigeria.

If the likes of Toke Makinwa is seen as a force to reckon with, then our future kids are in big trouble, if DJ cuppy who spends daddy’s ill gotten wealth is a force to reckon with…. are we not encouraging the youth to become useless people or believe having fun will get them to the promised land.

Can the likes of Toke make intelligent conversations rather than small talks on fashion and relationships, being that the news about her is that she gained experience traveling though sevreal males.

I digress, but again, the more such programmes are promoted, the more such people are promoted, the more we worship materialism over objectivity…then doom lurks around

• MsSunshine

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Wow, where to I even begin to address your rant? Where did you come up with these “facts”? Your comment reeks of something unpleasant that I can’t find the right word right now.

*sigh*

It’s your opinion, so I’ll respect it. Kudos on your accomplishments.

• MsSunshine

May 26, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Do**

• SallyAnn

May 26, 2016 at 8:45 pm

YORUBA DEMON BRAGGERS
      ALWAYS BRAGGING
      EVEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
      WHY DO WE NEED TO KNOW YOU EARN SIX FIGURES.
      AS YOU SO CLAIM

9. concerned9ja

May 26, 2016 at 5:17 pm

@MsGeeky30….I tire o people just come on here and lump all Nigerians as being one dimensional….
    Some really think this is just about getting rid of EU Nationals people need to scratch the surface to know the koko!!…the Far Right are sweeping across Europe..and US with Trump..it’s a bigger agenda..
    MrMrs Brexit you think they really care about us…UK is not US ?
    They started the problem got rid of ethnic minorties and flooded UK with their own kind albeit with a different language.
    Back to the lifestyle of the 9ja Elite….usual shopping for designer gear and travelling.
    Goes aginst the BN Motto…not really inspiring is it?

10. Tokes fan @ ab -idiot,Sorry Ignoramus bigot.

May 26, 2016 at 5:52 pm

That idiot -ab, sorry Toke on his mind fool,so of all other comments you can make,You think your negative mindset on Toke will change a thing?You are a disgrace to your parents.#Ewu online.

11. Deola

May 26, 2016 at 5:56 pm

“Lagos to London: Britain’s New Super-Rich”….no offense but Toke is neither British nor rich…..

12. Sera

May 26, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Toke is highly driven and success,no about of agent of negativity can slow her down,shes done well with her life so far,afterall we know so many of her mate that we can count about five sugar daddies to their names.

13. Yes Toke is part of the elites

May 26, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Tokes obsession can destroy your life.Yes Toke is part of the elites,she is very hardworking and makes clean money.#Oponu Omo Ab run.

14. tee

May 26, 2016 at 6:48 pm

if not for money, these boys for no fine at alllllllllllllllll.

15. BN are professionals and Class [email protected] take note

May 26, 2016 at 6:52 pm

You can tell that to Linda,that’s known for hateful anonymous comments,BN is far better on quality content,and balanced [email protected] take note

16. hezekina pollutina

May 26, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Yawwwwnnnnnn……..

17. Fake Seun use your real name

May 26, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Toke is a self made and successful personality.If all you can read are the names of Toke and dj cuppy you are a joker,Continue to fool yourself,what six figure salary?In your bedroom without fuel?Six figures and you have time for hate and trivialities like this?you are day dreaming.You can read Forbes magazine and success journal or better still bible.yeye de smell six figure my foot.

18. [email protected] take note

May 26, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Toke is highly driven and successful,no amount of negativity can slow her done,shes done well with her life

19. [email protected] take note

May 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Slow are down

20. Toke on point

May 26, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Don’t mind the joker,Toke is not in her class,go and try to be a success story yourself.

21. Seyi

May 26, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Toke gives them high blood pressure.God is blessing her daily,new endorsement daily,what more?

22. Felinda

May 26, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I vote BREXIT – ofcourse
    Do like Norway and Switzerland. I hate Brussels and the whole bureaucrats in the European Union Commision. A bunch of corrupt thiefs

Imagine if we joined the Euro, my goodness

if you want to come work and school in UK – u should go thru point system like canada. Simple.

i will vote Brexit again and again. and i know Frexit will follow. I knew this EU thing will never work from jump anyway just like United States of Africa penned by Dr Kwame Nkrumah will never have worked in a million years. Differnt cultures languages, habits etc. Its easier said than done.

It wont work. GET OUT!!!!

23. amh

May 26, 2016 at 9:49 pm

So time the struggler with her fake bags is now an elite. Very funny. In what manner? Is it the borrowed cloths or the fake bags or constant face painting. Rubbish. The ozee twins are not meant to be there. Looking untidy and posing in Instagram makes them elite abi? Only the otedolas and the annotnympus hard working Nigerians who are real achievers and carved a niche forthrmsrlves. Nor these hungry hustlers. Nonsense.

• Naijatalk

May 27, 2016 at 7:32 pm

You are a very hateful person. Toke who struggled legitimately without pedigree to get to the top is who you want to bring down. The Mbadiwe twins what do you know about them. What have the Otedola girls really done to get to the top? If DJ Cuppy didn’t have the added bonus of being an Otedola, she would have struggled too to rise through the ranks in the DJ world. Don’t knock down people with your comments as you are wont to do,

24. Toke fan

May 26, 2016 at 11:02 pm

You can call yourself whatever name you want,but for me,Toke is a class act.

25. Dee one

May 26, 2016 at 11:09 pm

The funny thing is of all the names mentioned here to me Toke is the most deserving, cos unlike the others who were born into wealth she had to work hard for hers, she may not be filthy rich like they are but whatever she has now she made through her hard work.
    As for those who think her job is not “worthy” enough, pls chill not everyone wants to be an investment banker, a lawyer or a medical doctor, the lesson here should be that in whatever you choose to do; do it well as long as it’s legal.

26. They are just negative [email protected] one

May 26, 2016 at 11:32 pm

I question some of their upbringing,the way some people were brought up,is just too narrow minded.All they see is name,Toke and they think they can bring her down,or ruin her career like the chief butterfly that’s calling herself bird.

27. ng

May 26, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Itz not dat serious.to me none of them deserve the att we give them

28. TheRealist

May 27, 2016 at 12:03 am

@SEUN, Egbon, you seem to have rather HUGE chip on your narrow shoulders….smh.

29. vidavi

May 27, 2016 at 12:30 am

If we are going to see the flashy side of the rich and famous, can we also see the other side?
    Most of these people are children of those who stole money from the country. With the exception of the likes of Toke Makinwa who actually hustled her way to “perceived” success.

30. Tobereal

May 27, 2016 at 7:21 am

Yes o….Toke and the Amosu bloke are the real hustlers…grass to grace…tbe rest make UK papers no go open dem papa’s secrets..

31. Cynthia

May 27, 2016 at 11:31 am

And this is why Toke is rising! She has been mentioned more times than all other persons on the show. You have got to give it to her.
    Weldone Toke.

32. Baby gurl

May 27, 2016 at 1:12 pm

But they did not ask to be put on the list or the Channel 4 feature though. Calm down people. If you are hurt by this it means you are jealous and that means you should in turn, commit to becoming successful in your own way. Be calm. Life is a journey and not a sprint. God bless.

33. Keeks

June 8, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I’m going to say something which might get me in trouble but hey I’m getting too old to really care what anyone thinks!!!

This #lagostolondon documentary is the sad image we portray around the world not just as Nigerians but as the black race and the mainstream media has played on it again! We spend! Spend!! Spend!!! A bunch of people who are either corrupt or indisciplined consumers but not innovators!

While some people applaud #channel4 for at least showcasing something other than a poor country I say ‘not good enough’!

Do you know how powerful it would have been if the documentary showcased hardworking people like Oluseun David Onigbinde or Venia Hubs Kola Oyeneyin and/or many more who are paving the way in acting, media production, technology etc! Young Nigerians who equally have or had ties with london shuttling between lagos and london while creating jobs for many more Nigerians! Please don’t misunderstand me this is not an attack against the people showcased because I personally know one of them who is a friend and a really good guy! Which by the way I find interesting that they didn’t care to ask him about the charity race he took part in Nigeria to raise awareness for a good cause? I guess they just wanted to showcase us in the consumerism light!

Let’s not get it twisted that documentary was a total slap on our face! How come Mr Amosu kept mentioning Nigerians coming here as cleaners? (Almost certain they kept questioning him around that) Please that’s not the the full picture even dating as far back as when my grandparents came into this country in the 50’s we have always had well to do Nigerians! My grandfather worked with the British Rails while my grandmother worked with MI5 and they were not cleaners!

What we need to show the world is not our opulence! That’s what the big companies want to see so they can open a franchise in Nigeria, and take the money back to their big banks! What we need to show the world are job creating innovations so the world may really see us as we truly are! Great Minds with visionary goals for a greater nation and the black race!

Not impressed at all!

I rest my case!

34. amaria

June 9, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Can I love this comment more !!! oyibo people just want to portray Nigerians in one singular light and we just keep falling for it…

35. Famous

September 22, 2018 at 12:03 pm

Bunch of lazy living of daddy’s money just arrogant boys who are not good looking.