News

“We Must Force People to Send their Children to School” | el-Rufai Signs Bill that Prohibits Hawking and Begging in Kaduna State

Nasir-el-RufaiGovernor Nasir el-Rufai has signed into law the Bill Prohibiting Hawking and Begging in Kaduna State.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Bill, passed by the state Assembly, has attracted criticisms from residents.

The Bill, signed on Tuesday by the governor, would however come into effect from September 2016.

el-Rufai told a delegation from UNESCO, UNICEF and USAID, during the signing of a partnership agreement to boost the education sector, that every child in the state must go to school.

“This morning, I signed a bill that prohibits street hawking and begging in Kaduna state. From September 2016, every child between the ages of 6 and 15 must be in school, not on the street hawking or begging, otherwise the parents must be prosecuted and sent to prison.

We have taken this step to give impetus to the Universal Basic Education Act which makes basic education in Nigeria compulsory.

We must force people to send their children to school and we are not going to give them choice; everyone in Kaduna state must go to school,” he said.

el-Rufai stressed that his administration would “open the doors of learning to every child and will not shirk in its responsibility to make public schools capable of delivering quality education”.

He said that the state government would build more classrooms to enable every child in the state access qualitative basic education.

1. E.A

May 4, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Force them to go to school, but also force them to use contraception its ridiculous that in 2016 that one man would have 15, 37 children. This does not help Nigeria in anyway, at least educated them about the use of contraception, smh.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

May 4, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I can assure you that most illiterates are constantly being educated on contraception long before 2016, it doesn’t change much and it’s not ethical to forcefully impose it on people, they need to be educated hence this policy is just what they need . I strongly support this bill and I know that El Rufai will certainly leave Kaduna a better place, even with free education you’ll be surprised that they will rather send their kids to beg. After fulfilling his promise of giving free food in public schools, the parents would send their kids to eat and then they leave school after eating before classes are done.
      Northern Nigeria is a very disappointing terrain and very difficult to reform, they need strong policies. Their problem is rooted in illiteracy, until that is treated the north will never change and they constitute half of Nigeria alone.

• E.A

May 4, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for that information, I only visited the north for a short period of time so wasn’t aware of all the circumstances. But during my visit the amount of children that many people had were ridiculous. I’m just concern for Nigeria as a whole if half of the country keeps populating like this, I should have used my words more better. But perhaps what other options can be done, we obviously can’t force them but educating them clearly is not enough, they maintain this attitude even after leaving the North, one man in Lagos had 3 wives and 37 children in 2016,

• E.A

May 4, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Thank you for the info, I have not live in the North only visited, I was shocked by the amount of kids people had, even in Lagos or other southern states the same happens, met a man with 37 children :(. My word of choice is wrong but what other options are there in 2016 this is still happening. Imagine the population of China today if the government did not say enough is enough. We might scream that we are the giant of Africa, but the fact is our population is having an affect on every single infrastructure. You mentioned that the use of contraception are being taught before 2016 but with the increase of population every decade it is clearly not working.

2. Prince

May 4, 2016 at 4:34 pm

It’s a very welcome development but why do northerners give birth like pigs (I’m sorry) but its the truth. I’ve said here times without number that I live and work in Abuja. I have junior colleagues from the north that earn farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr less than myself and they have 2wives and many children. when asked if they have plans for their children, all they’ll tell you is that it is God that will take care of them.
    That same God says wisdom is profitable to direct. why would one give birth and cant give the child/children basic education. I think what northern governors need to start doing right is educating them on why they should use contraceptives and the positive sides of it. My people, if you’ve been to the north: sokoto, kebbi, katsina, zamfara etc, you will ask yourself if those people live in the same world as we do. they thinking is so SHALLOW, they’re just in a world of their own and their government isn’t helping at all

• Civil citizen

May 4, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I think you could have made your comments perfectly well without calling them ‘pigs’ and ‘shallow’. That’s highly offensive, that you have the freedom to comment does’t mean you should treat others without dignity.

• Bimbo

May 4, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Was the “pig” you added necessary? Great comment otherwise.

• le coco

May 4, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Some times its nt even about education. I had a teacher in my high school in abuja that kept giving birth almost every year.. there was no time that she was not pregnant.. that is an educated woman ,an empowered woman.. I dn’t know what her husband did for a living tho. The very first day I stepped into their house.. I was almost in tears.. A family with two incomes and the house looks like this?I believe they lived in a two bedroom small house ( more like a Bq) at the back of a house.. and obviously the parents take one room.. which leaves about 10 kids to share a room.. some were sleeping in the living room? it was terrible. I kept thinking thi could have been avoided.. These people aren’t illiterate but they still choose to do this to themselves… Rubbish

• Mama

May 5, 2016 at 4:24 am

Please learn how to comnent without offense. You might not get away with this your statement in a different climate.

3. Leah

May 4, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Agreed! Young children should be in school, not child labor. How about the many well educated on the streets with no jobs? How do we force the Government and businesses to employ them?

4. nene+

May 4, 2016 at 4:48 pm

good one!
    In going to school they might learn to have less number of children.
    By the time they bath 15 children in the morning for school they will know that life is not about eating fura de nono and every child to himself/herself

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

May 4, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Lmao! for real!?

• Heeba

May 5, 2016 at 10:31 am

Bath ke???we are saying people are not educated you are talking about bathing how would they know about hygiene?…??

5. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

May 4, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I congratulate you Nasir for taking this laudable steps on behalf of your people. I believe other Nothern governors in Nigeria regardless of their party affiliations should emulate this gigantic steps you have taking. Nasir, you also need to provide meals ( breakfast and lunch ) free of charge for these children to enable them to participate actively in class. In this day and age, Quranic education should take a back bunner to western education. Make education free at all levels in the Nothern parts of Nigeria period. Invest in vocational education as we’ll for those above the normal primary and secondary school age limit. “EDUCATE A WOMAN, YOU EDUCATE A NATION” Remember, “A MIND IS A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE THING To WASTE.” Nasir well done.

6. coke

May 4, 2016 at 5:02 pm

This is fantastic…

7. Louda

May 4, 2016 at 5:21 pm

What a brilliant move. If the northern leaders of yesteryears have implemented this, boko haram might not have been given birth to. I only hope it can spread all over the north. Illiteracy have dealth with them and d country as a whole.

8. HJ

May 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm

It very easy to force them to school but after school are you ready to employ them.

9. Tee

May 4, 2016 at 6:05 pm

This is good news, this Gov Elfruai is a good statesman. he is putting effort in empowering the masses, education is the key for future success. so where is the DEATH MERCHANT?
    #long live El rufai#

10. Tunmi

May 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Educate the parents too, whether formal or informal education, technical or otherwise

11. Molly

May 4, 2016 at 7:14 pm

About time! Thank you, El rufai. Other governors should emulate this especially in Zamfara state where I currently stay. It’s so disheartening seeing so many young kids on the street looking so unkempt with tattered dirty clothes on. I’m so happy with this law.

12. niggurPlz

May 4, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Lmao @Nene, why you gotta be like this?

13. thywill

May 4, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Great decision indeed!
    What i frankly believe is that despite how deeply their level of illiteracy might be in the northern states,with this great step taking by mr governor,i’m very sure that high rate of positive change is going to immerge in that state.Although,it is true that not all head that are headed for successs but atleast some generation will benefit from it.Please mr governor,also try to create an avenue for adult education on how to make and manage a family.

14. Peaches77

May 4, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Excellent!

15. ElessarisElendil

May 4, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Only part is I disagree with is sending them to prison. That’s an unnecessary drain on state resources; prefer they be flogged and sent on their way. Hope the governor has the wisdom to carry his people along in his wisdom so the Shehu Sani’s don’t confuse them into voting him out.

16. Jaye

May 4, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I truly love Nasir but I am beginning to believe he is headed for a single-term governorship.

17. nunulicious

May 4, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Nasir El-Rufai appears to be the only governor who actually had an action plan prior to being sworn in. well done!

18. Seun

May 4, 2016 at 11:31 pm

dear El, thank you!

19. Marian

May 5, 2016 at 4:45 am

This is cute and all but is public education free?

20. aries

May 5, 2016 at 10:13 am

weldone elrufai!!!! we need a total reform in this country!!! if only we’ll put religion aside and face reality

21. Heeba

May 5, 2016 at 10:28 am

Big Kudos to El Rufai!!!!! He is killing like 10 birds with one stone in the North. If one truly understand the depth of his policy then one would appreciate his efforts. I wish all other Northern leaders will stand up and do things for their people. Some cultures we have in Nigeria need to be eradicated because it does not help us. What has been going on in the north is attributed to culture and religion once people are forced to be educated then they are better able to apply the culture and religion in the best way for their own benefit.
    I wish this education would be extended to our religious leaders and cultural or ethic leaders.so they can disseminate to the grass root people