News

Tortured by the Police, Abandoned by her Employer…A BellaNaijarian shares a Traumatic Experience

Sad African WomanHey BNers
A BellaNaijarian left this comment on a recent post. We have reached out to her via email.
However, let’s get together and see how we can help now with suggestions and any assistance.

***

I really need sincere advise and I don’t know what BN address is to send my story to or I would’ve.
Precisely a month ago, I was doing my routine at my job, on my way to the bank at around 10am I was attacked by armed men who made away with the cash I was going to deposit.
It was only the driver and I in the company car. Thankfully, We were still close to my company premises that everything was captured by the CCTV.
I called my mgr and reported everything and hr called the police, and we (driver & I), were told to go with d police to give account of everything.
On getting there, the police took our clothes and locked us in cells. At around 1am they brought us out and tortured us. I can’t even begin to explain in details what these 3 men did to me, a 25yr old defenseless female. My company did not even inform my relatives or anybody from home. I would’ve died that night and none of my loved ones would’ve known.

Very long story short, my church guy who happened to see me in the cell, contacted my sisters and they came with lawyers and the police let me go after we paid N80k.
I spent over 3weeks in the hospital after this, and the only thing my MD called to tell me is “sorry, when are you resuming”.

I feel hurt and let down by my coy. They got their money back through insurance and only my colleague I run shift with came to see me once.
My family is mad and want to press charges cos they blame the mgt for not providing security for someone carrying a huge sum of cash all the way to d bank alone, thereby putting me in harms way.

My lawyer has advised that I can sue the police department, but at risk of being framed by the currupt naija system.

As for me, I’m jobless now and presently incapable of using my left hand. I just want to be healed complete and not think about what to do next.

Please BN, publish my story. You can reach me to show you the pictures of my battered body taken immediately I left the police station and for names and location if needed.

PS I’m an an avid reader and follower.
Thanks

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. myopinion

June 25, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Linda Ikeji can help you too on this.

2. Omodolapo

June 25, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Bella Naija, can you re-post this on Monday please when there will be more people to read the story.

3. jefka

June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I sincerely sympathize with you. However from your story you said your md called to ask when you will be resuming and now you are jobless…….kindly fill in the blank spaces.
    In addition your lawyer should be going after your company of your story is true.
    I wish you all the best.

• anu

June 25, 2016 at 10:15 pm

You, will you go back to continue working for such a company?? hiss!!!

• Nahum

June 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Yes, actually!!! Either she sues the company for damages or she goes back to work because I don’t think they sacked her. She should choose one and be quick about it.

4. Beard gang

June 25, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Sorry for the agony you went through i wish you speedy recovery but i am a little confused;
    – was the video evidence not shown to the police?
    – why didn’t your boss speak on your behalf when he called the police exonerating you of culpability?
    – i think your lawyers should also go after your boss because he sure has a lot of questions to answer

5. Bodunade

June 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Won’t be surprised if your company advised the policemen to torture you to find out if you connived with the robbers.
    Nigeria will never move forward, we are so Heartless . We lack empathy and common sense.
    I’m sorry you had to go through this, broke my heart . I pray you are healed and that you get justice. Too damn sad!

6. Ajala & Foodie

June 25, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I think there are major things needed to pursue this story or for people to be able to offer help/bring the government’s attention to both your company and the police station and men. So first what is the name of the company and what police station were you taken to? Do you have pictures as well? as that will help garner more sympathy.

7. Niola

June 26, 2016 at 12:54 am

Sue the company and the police management. People cannot to be fearful and not to do the right thing. My dear please sue and change your lawyers if they are already thinking so negatively. Things will never go right if we just keep letting everything slide. It’s our complacency that has let our leaders take us for such easy rides…Please please please do not let it go I am so livid. Contact femi falana or festus keyamo these are the kind of cases they should do pro bono .

8. elham

June 26, 2016 at 1:01 am

It’s rather painful when employees are continually treated like this. I feel the pain you are going through my sister and pray that you find justice in due course.

9. Todds

June 26, 2016 at 1:58 am

Your story is heart broken but details are important & I’m not quite sure why you didn’t provide them. How much was involved? Your boss called police and ordered you to follow them to police station! Sounds like you were arrested on the spot. You ought to have called your family and a lawyer, if you had one, at this point.

Meanwhile, whatever those men did to you at police station. I hope it’s not rape. Nevertheless, you must press charges starting with your boss who ordered your arrest. From your narratives, the story is however suspicious. You don’t say things like ‘they got their money back through insurance’. You’re indirectly vindicating yourself and that could make it look pre-meditated and seen to have connived with the robbers, regardless of whether there was CCTV footage or not.

However, police should NEVER locked you up on arrest without been proved guilty, let alone torture you. What about the poor driver? Get good lawyers who are familiar with similar stories and I’m sure you’ll get justice if you were innocent. Lawyers know the right questions to ask your company management including safety risk management procedures of transferring cash to banks and actions if breached. And for the police, get doctors to document the physical abuse they did to you and hand all evidence to your lawyers. Don’t keep mute, get justice.

10. Weezy

June 26, 2016 at 3:25 am

This story sounds fishy. But If this is true, I think the best way anyone can help you is by paying for a lawyer that you can consult with, to first determine what happened. What you went through is illegal.

You need to get in touch with a women’s rights organization – Baobab or Project Alert for Violence Against Women.

11. Corolla

June 26, 2016 at 4:37 am

I am so sorry you had to go through this. PLEASE press charges agaisnt the police and your company or go to social media and cause a major storm. It is obvious your company had a hand in this and asked the police to torture you. They probably did that to coerce a confession from you. Your family was not informed by your company, and your MD did not come to your rescue! Please seek justice. Do not let them go scot free. Get well soon hun. Hugs and kisses.

12. Onyie

June 26, 2016 at 7:31 am

You guys saying this story sounds suspicious obviously don’t leave in Nigeria.

Ask people who work in banks for their experience. People that have been attacked when loading atms. People whose customers money have been stolen. Just look for one to ask them for their experience.

Didn’t you read about the ecobank staff that died in police custody because his employer accused him of stealing money and asked the police to torture him? This is an every day probability for people responsible for moving or handling cash in companies. Money gets stolen, the employer calls police and asks them to torture staff without carrying out proper investigation and staff is locked up for months until someone intervenes, then staff loses job or has incidence on their record so promotion is never possible.

It happened to me so I know for sure that this story can happen. Nigeria is not a civilized society and anything goes here. Trust me

• Anon

June 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

No, we don’t leave in Nigeria that’s why we are asking for more details, pictures etc. ?

13. Ba

June 26, 2016 at 8:00 am

‘Sorry, when are you resuming’.

That’s absurd and breed everything wrong from a business leader. At least, a business leader should learn and practice some principles about human resource, customer services, PR, product dev and every critical dept of a business org.

I wish you absolute quick recovery and may this experience be a stepping stone towards a better job.

14. Becks

June 26, 2016 at 8:05 am

I saw her amd i almost lost it .its a true story Babes sorry for the stress and trauma if der is anything or anyway i can help just let me no.you no who dis is #monkey lol

15. chinny

June 26, 2016 at 4:46 pm

it is a pity

16. mrs chidukane

June 26, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I don’t know where you are but you can contact NGO’s like FIBA or the ones already suggested. Torture is against the law so the police already have a case to answer especially as they made you lose the use of your left arm. If rape was also involved, don’t be afraid to voice it. Just that these people can be so desperate and can go as far as murder to shut you up. However, you should definitely sue your company. Get a good lawyer that will do this pro Bono, thank God you came out alive.

17. GUS XI LWS

June 26, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Well the story is so true.. Most Nigerian policemen per say are very stupid and myopic. Blind to beat practices of international police.
    Nigerian police is not your friend oo.
    Most private companies are always inhuman with their staffs.. They make sure they use you to the maximum and dump you when they are done.
    It breaks my heart that she had to go through all of this. I feel your pains babe.
    Sue the Nigerian police for violation of human rights.
    Also sue your company too.
    There are many lawyers at the state Minister of Justice, Human Right Dept. This barbaric act of Nigerian police must be stopped and it must begin from someone. #monkey

18. Amola

June 26, 2016 at 5:05 pm

She wont do nothing.

I was robbed, maltreated and all. Sent an email to Linda cos in my case i have strong evidence to catch the armed robbers.

Police won’t do nothing! My employers too! Everyone is trying to play safe. And ds armed men are still robbing pple at the same spot.
    M
    Lawless nation we are in. Whew.

Hoping to get BN’s addrees to send full story to.

19. Ms S.

June 26, 2016 at 6:10 pm

I am truly sickened by this! I just pray those disgusting rascals didn’t go as far as rape, or any form of sexual assault because if they did they need to lose their jobs ASAP!! I know a lot of people in this present govt that are working toward eradicating issues like these and they can raise a good hue and cry & get you justice but pls BN we need more details. Wish you a speedy recovery my dear, God will fight for you!!

20. vera

June 27, 2016 at 3:17 pm

maybe she should try contacting brekete family. They help ppl with cases like this. Also they carry out their investigation to be sure the story is true

21. Divine

June 28, 2016 at 7:05 am

My sincere advice is to blow out your story, don’t keep silent, get it to be the hottest issue on the news. It would be a lot of publicity but you would surely get help. Thankfully there are NGO’s and activists to help you broadcast your story and seek justice for you. Also I pray that you get well soon, Amen.

22. Isi nne mummy!

August 30, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I am sorry you had to go through that amount of pain.