News

Protests in London Following #Brexit as Petition Calling for Another Referendum Attracts 1.5 million Signatures in Less than 24hrs

BellaNaija.com

Protest in London After Brexit4Anti-Brexit protests broke out on the streets of London after a petition for a second EU referendum attracted 1.5 million signatures within a day, DailyMail reports.

Most of the signatures in the petition came from from place with high number of student population such as North London, Cambridge and Oxford. More than 3,000 of David Cameron‘s (who announced that he will leave office in October) constituents also signed the petition.

The parliament will consider a petition for a debate after it attracts 100,000 or more signatures, and the government will respond to a petition with 10,000 or more signatures.

The petitioners are calling for another referendum, saying that the “Leave” camp won with less than 60% of the votes and was based on a turnout of less than 75 per cent.

See photos below:

Protest in London After Brexit1 Protest in London After Brexit5
Protest in London After Brexit3 Protest in London After Brexit2

Photo Credit: Matt Cardy/Getty Images

1. nwa nna

June 25, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Lol. Damn if I do, damn if I don’t!

2. Busarni

June 25, 2016 at 6:31 pm

They are not serious; I thought switzerland was suppose to act as a lesson learnt. Being in the European union has its pros and cons.
    They can’t cap immigration as per refugees if they are in the EU.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

June 26, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Lol Anybody can sign the petition, both EU, non EU, Africans whatever whoever wherever, how’s that supposed to reflect the thoughts of the people when every Tom, D**k and Harry is going to sign? Pffft

3. Felinda

June 25, 2016 at 7:06 pm

a bunch of brain washed clowns

4. sista

June 25, 2016 at 7:23 pm

…and should their wish be granted and the REMAINERS win by less than 60%, then the BREXITEERS will also petition then it becomes a cycle which will set a bad precedence for their democracy. there are sore losers everywhere.

5. Gorgeous

June 25, 2016 at 8:11 pm

All those signing and protesting are probably EU citizens. The Brits who can vote have spoken. Don’t waste your time because the second one will be a disgrace as more will be angered and come and vote.
    The Brexit success was also as a result of the laziness and non challant, liberal attitude of the younger generation. I bet some are protesting because they were sleeping off a club night when voting was going on. Too late o jare. I support Brexit.
    All this EU crap is just not a good model. I hope the ones trying to do the same in Africa are watching. We cannot come and kill ourselves doing help your brother when jobless and hungry miscreants that are destroying their own countries start migrating into ours.

• Tiana

June 25, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Abi oh.. you will notice a lot of them are rich kids.. they don’t understand anything about struggle for jobs ..paying bills.. when your livelihood is threatened by more people In your city.. am sorry you will defend it.. sending 53 million a week to Europe when our nation can benefit from the money.. you see on all those EU chair people looking well on our money earning more than prime ministers… and these fools want second vote.. it’s OK we can vote again.. exit Europe noni…….

• stupid Tiana

June 26, 2016 at 8:47 am

You are from Nigeria, go back to your country. Idiota

• Lagos is my home

June 26, 2016 at 12:03 am

You are so right . I checked the petition and anybody can sign it. Anybody round the world so how is that a true reflection when its possible 90 % can be other EU persons

6. Beard gang

June 25, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Brexit will plunge the UK into economic uncertainty unless they are certain they will negotiate new trade deals with emerging markets ( Russia excluded).
    why won’t ojukokoro nigerians want brexit, lmao! so that we can take all the EU jobs.

7. LemmeRant

June 25, 2016 at 8:58 pm

In this same life.

Na protest be this or na hangout?

See how all of them just they smile and chill

It is well

#GodSaveNigeria

8. Me

June 26, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Brexit is good for non EU migrants. When there is a points based system in place like the one in Australia, then quality/qualified people will be able to get in. Now any riff raft with an EU passport is just going to London and collecting benefits! As for the typically daft black people in the UK voting against Brexit, I think someone has cursed them to forever be looked down upon. Those EU people are extremely racist to Africans, as they believe they have more rights than them.

• Me

June 26, 2016 at 4:33 pm

*Riff Raff*

• Say what?

June 26, 2016 at 4:43 pm

“Riff raff”
      “typically daft black people”

Wow. YOU have a huge problem dear. A huge huge one.
      With this kind of useless attitude you’ve displayed here in just 1 paragraph, is there any wonder jobs are going to other people?! phew.

• Me

June 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I’m entitled to my opinion. You don’t like it, too bad 🙂

9. Tiana.. correction

June 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Who said I should go back to my country.. I was not born in Nigeria so it’s not much country.. it’s my parental heritage.. I was born and breed in the UK so am black British with Nigerian heritage. If you must know I go back to Nigeria 5 times a year..but won’t move there… Nepa for one of problem let alone fuel .. though I love Nigeria..

• Reality check

June 27, 2016 at 1:01 am

Don’t mind them, Nigerians love to play the you’re a second citizen card, it’s not your land. I’m 3rd generation British, my grandma and my mum and her siblings were born in UK. I was born and bread in the UK and Nigerians will come and utter such lines like “go back to your country” how is nigeria my country? A country I’ve never spent more than 2 weeks in? Smh

10. Reality check