News

Ag. IGP Ibrahim Idris Claims Solomon Arase left Office with 24 Police Vehicles | “This is a malicious accusation” Arase Replies

BellaNaija.com

Solomon Arase

Solomon Arase

The acting Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris has said that his predecessor, Solomon Arase left office with 24 police vehicles.

According to PUNCH, he made the statement while speaking to journalists on Sunday in Abuja. Idris also said that the seven Deputy Inspectors-General of Police, who retired alongside him, also took between seven and eight cars each.

“If you look through the windows of my former office and from the report from my (Force) transport officer, you would see cars but a week to the day I would resume, all these cars disappeared.

So, what I am telling you is that I have signed a directive to my SIP (I have a special investigation panel, I set it up). It is going to investigate all the vehicle purchases, contributions to the police and the distribution of those vehicles in the last three years; we are going to look into that.

When I took over, there was no vehicle, even the vehicle I would use. I discovered that the last IG went away with 24 vehicles; the DIGs, some of them eight, some of them seven. The IG’s vehicles included two BMW 7 series, one armoured; and he left me with an old car.

The last time I followed the President with it, he was asking me, ‘what are you doing with this old car’ because if you see the headlight, the thing has changed colour, which means they parked it and rains and everything had fallen on it, but the new ones that were bought, he (Arase) went with all of them; they are part of the 24.

I wrote back to him (Arase) and said, we have a policy that says when a policeman retires, if you are an IG, AIG, a CP, you are entitled to some vehicles; please, the extra, return it. Four vehicles are enough for an average human being, but what will you even do with four vehicles; but he took 24 vehicles, including two BMW cars.

I wrote to him (Arase), I wrote to the DIGs,” Idris said.

However, Arase, speaking to PUNCH on the telephone, denied the allegations. “What am I going to do with 24 cars? Do I want to open a car shop? This is a malicious accusation. There are ways of verifying issues rather than engaging in media propaganda,” he said.

1. artklub

July 18, 2016 at 7:02 am

we must purge the system of these kinds of imbeciles. his balls need deep and powerful squeezing.

2. DAME

July 18, 2016 at 9:13 am

I think i am more disturbed by our lack of accountability as against our brazen sense of entitlement . Is there no principal accounting officer there whose responsibility include physical assets verification? like why are we even speaking english on this matter…all the accountants and auditors in the public service should first be held accountable for any financial misappropriation and impropriety because that is their responsibility .
    Now back to arase and his cohorts….edakun 24 cars…kilode

we need IRS like they have in yankee and they need the same job description…b4 u have 24 cars unc;les and aunties you would explain the source of income and the tax you have paid etc….maybe then we would have less of this cases

3. ebby

July 18, 2016 at 10:25 am

I Would not be surprised if this story is true….. Nigerian Police, needs an equipped Internal Audit system., inventory, proper handover etc.. and i doubt the Nigerian police, matter of fact the Force system in Nigeria do that, because they will want to form ” do you know who i am?”…

4. Prince

July 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Na wa o. isn’t this too early. It’s that the man’s first official assignment. All these jaguda snatching bags and killing preachers what has he done.

5. Expert

July 18, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Our Civil Service is still bereft of advantages of Technological applications hence the chaos that exists in simple record keeping. However, I am inclined to believe that the status quo exists because of the selfish interest of some individuals. If some Agencies cannot track their assets, I wonder how we can entrust the safety of ours in their hands?. I think our National Senior Prefect should pause on the fight on corrupt individuals and focus more on institutional corruption which sadly dictates our way of life,

6. Paul

February 7, 2018 at 4:55 pm

I Would not be surprised if this story is true….. Nigerian Police again, needs an equipped Internal Audit system., inventory, proper handover etc..