BN TV

BN Beauty: Fast and Easy Washing Method for Naturals with Guts | Watch

Barbara1923

I’ve been a nappy haired girl for the past 4 years. I’m currently in the second phase of my journey as I initially transitioned for 10 months, grew my hair out for 2 years and then did a big chop last year. What I’m about to share is going to go against what I’ve heard and what a lot of you have heard over the years and that’s why I included ‘with Guts’ to the title.

The first time I washed my hair after transitioning was a nightmare to say the least. I complained and sought advise online and that’s when I learnt about washing my hair in sections and/or washing my hair in twists. After my first experience and the subsequent almost 4 hours it took to detangle, it wasn’t difficult to persuade me otherwise. I did these for a while but as my hair grew longer, it became more cumbersome and only made the thought of wash-day horrifying.

Black-woman-shampooing-her-hair stock photo

If you have natural, kinky, curly hair, then you know that one of the most important days in your life is Wash day. Usually, this is the day that you are locked away from the entire world because you have to detangle, deep condition, apply hot oil treatment, shampoo, condition, do LOC, style and all the rest of that stuff. So I proceeded to always wash my hair in sections or in twists and dedicate a whole day to washing my hair.

That is… Until my world went crazy. Let’s just say that I barely had enough time to eat and sleep not to talk of spending half a day washing my hair. So I used a method (popularly preached against as it is known to cause natural hair to tangle leading to loss of hair) which took me about 15/20 minutes or less. I literally stumbled on it when one day, in a lazy state and with an almost month old braidout I’m sure, desperate for clean hair. Since then, it has been a holy grail method for me (even now with a TWA).

I thought I’d share it with you all in this video (below) but basically, what I do is be very purposeful about washing my hair making sure I only focus on the scalp with the pads of my fingers and wash my hair strands in a straight motion from scalp to edges.

Watch the Video

Have you tried this method of washing your kinky curls? Will you give it a try? I’d love to know what you think about this method. If you don’t wash your hair like this, how do you wash it? We’d love to know.

Credits: Imagestreet.com, Barbara & 1923

| The Restless One | Lover of GOD & Change | Content Creator | Barbara Onianwah spends her days working in Marketing Communications and her nights as a Social Media & Beauty aficionado who straddles between using the internet to build her personal brand – Barbara & 1923; and helping various Clients build their online presence. To find her, visit her blog - www.barbara1923.com OR follow her on Twitter – @piriye | Instagram – barbara1923 |Facebook & Youtube – Barbara & 1923.

1. Oma

July 16, 2016 at 10:45 am

Thank you Barbara. I have been natural since last Dec (I was on low cut prior, so no ‘transitioning’, and i have never understood the concept of a ‘wash day.’ Even if I had the time, I certainly don’t have the patience to spend so many hours wading my hair. I am a ‘natural’ naturalita, lol. I don’t stress over my hair, I use minimal products, spend minimal time on it, all round just take things easy. Maybe that’s why my hair is not growing fast Sha but I don’t really care, so long as it remains healthy.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

July 16, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Naturalista*
      I also don’t use a lot of products, just coconut oil and water spray for moisture and tresseme expert selection conditioner and the occasional shampoo. I use Shea butter once in a while when I remember. I still have very good growth for someone who’s been natural barely a year plus i’m armpit length when stretched. I don’t think using a lot of products help, if you find one or two that work that’s fine, when it comes to hair less is more.
      I also rarely comb my hair, I just finger detangle, I think most Naturalistas can agree that combing does get tedious but they do it any way even with little combs ?, I comb my with a wide tooth comb once in a month, I have mad curls but the absence of all that manipulation helps reduce breakage allowing more growth.
      Sorry for yapping just thought I’ll drop it just in case lol

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 8:53 am

Thanks for dropping by. I like to call myself ‘the lazy naturalista’ as I don’t use a lot (if any products at all after washing & conditioning, lol. Apart from a wide tooth comb – the biggest I can find – & an afro comb, no other size of comb comes near my hair. No worries about the yapping, it was great to read your comment.

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 8:46 am

My dear, I’m all for health over length o so as long as your hair is healthy, that’s absolutely the way to go.

2. Cookie

July 16, 2016 at 10:50 am

Hi Barbara,you are my girl.. This is exactly how i wash my natural hair every time,the section and wash isn’t my thing(never even tried and won’t).. Even when i do my pre-poo hot oil treatment i don’t section,i have only sectioned one time.. My hair is and has always been very soft,even when i had relaxed hair..So combing out my natural hair has never been a hassle for me.. Once i am done deep conditioning,i rinse my hair,apply leave in conditioner,oil and i just kalabarize it like you did also..

For your next video please speak louder,my volume was on the highest and i still could barely hear you.. Felt like you were whispering and you shouldn’t be caught where you were…Lol.
    Nice video…,Are the Afroriri products sold online?

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 8:55 am

*covers face*
      Definitely doing an updated wash day video. So sorry about the volume of the video but thanks for washing anyway.
      Yes, the Afroriri products are sold online. Check them out here bit.ly/1yrpT0i

3. jhennique

July 16, 2016 at 2:40 pm

LOL. like seriously?

4. Abuja Bored Girl

July 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I could barely hear a thing you said.

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 8:55 am

So sorry about that. Will be recording another wash day video soon.

5. Nahum

July 16, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I have been washing my hair like this from the beginning. Abeg who has time for section washing? I have small kids! My hair is growing and thriving so that is all that matters.

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

LOL.
      Right?
      I sincerely don’t know how people do it.

6. Mulan

July 17, 2016 at 3:06 am

Wet paint, walls and opera glasses…

7. Bimbo

July 17, 2016 at 3:23 am

Wow you wash that infrequently and have to put up with all that method. Girl I feel for you. I have natural hair. 4b and c combination. I wash it every week and sometimes twice. Shampoo and any conditioner that’s all. I stand under the shower and wash the whole thing no need for sectioning.I comb out with the conditioner easy Peasy.It takes less than 30 mins. No long long process for me that’s totally unnecessary. I guess I’m one of the few lucky naturals. It’s good you’ve now found something that works for you.

Barbara1923

July 18, 2016 at 9:18 am

I wish I could. I have a thing for water running over my face, makes me feel like I’m drowning so I always either bend forwards or backwards to wash my hair even now that its short.
      It now takes me roughly 15 – 20mins in all too *grin*