BN TV

Stylist & Fashion Writer Richard Akuson talks Dealing with Rumours of being Gay & Embracing his Femininity in New VLog “Get Pink With Richard”

Richard Akuson

Stylist and fashion writer Richard Akuson is now a vlogger.

His vlogs, “Get Pink With Richard” will address personal issues and take viewers one step closer into his life. The debut video is out and it is titled “She Said I Said“.

In this vlog he talks about the betrayal of having his friend go around school telling people he was gay and the threatening, humiliating and homophobic reactions that followed from his classmates to schoolmates. He describes it as  “the most depressing time of my life”.

According to him, “What’s the most heartbreaking betrayal you’d ever had to go through? Mine came from a supposed ‘ex bff’. I was devastated beyond imagination. One year after, it still hurts like the very day it started. I’m not in a hurry to forget or forgive. You definitely can’t rush this kind of healing, it’s a process that might last me years or forever. Because my vlog is supposed to be an honest and sincere representation of my self and my thoughts, I’ve decided to start off with this personal story that I’ve not had the courage to talk about since it happened.”

Watch the video below.

1. Spunky

July 1, 2016 at 11:48 am

Ring the alarm! Another guy embraces his feminine attributes. Dude! Man the – up!

• Baby gurl

July 1, 2016 at 12:22 pm

You, Shut the F**k up!!!

• Ghen Ghen

July 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Shut your blowhole!!

• Kadara

July 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I think this is another method of bullying! Who are you to label someone gay if the person says he isn’t ? It’s very ridiculous to start labeling people because they may not fit inside the usual box and very ignorant as well. Gay men and women come in all shapes and sizes and many of the very “masculine” men are just as gay as the non masculine ones. There is too much focus on if someone is gay or not these days. There have always been effeminate men , even in the villages and no one went around calling them gay . why are people so concerned about others sexuality? As long as you are not dating the person why do you care?

• Damilola

July 2, 2016 at 3:50 am

Richard, it seems like you are struggling with your identity, sexuality and going through a lot of inner conflict. Honestly, in as much as I don’t strongly support homosexuality, I will never bully anyone based on their chosen lifestyle. Don’t get it twisted though, I will still tell you how i feel about it if needs be.
      However, I sympathize with Richard going through difficult times trying to find himself, then he finally opens up to someone only for her to trash his trust. It’s painful, depressing and you feel so lost. An effeminate man is easily labeled as gay, which is not always the case. However, I do believe they’ve gone through personal experiences that led them to connect with more femininnity than masculinity consciously and unconsciously. And even if you are gay, I’m sure you wouldn’t say it out loud judging how Nigeria society is
      Nigerians can be brutal, mean spirited, straight up wicked too and it applies to anybody not just bcos they think you are gay. And it’s a country where someone who is too nice, gentle are often taken advantage of. Very sad.

I will say, you should open up to a professional instead someone who is there to genuinely listen and offer sound help. This may be off to many but open up to God and pour your heart out to him. He.s always there to help in difficult situations.

2. I can't stop smiling

July 1, 2016 at 12:09 pm

jesu, this is tea right here, Richard some friends are just good when things are good. they go bad once things go bad!!!!! lol, now I see, Richard and Toke share the same manager or what? all these similarities in career moves i no even understand any more oo. sha, he has a beautiful smile and his enunciation is really flawless. maybe a ‘tusher’ version of toke?

3. Bam bam

July 1, 2016 at 12:12 pm

live your truth…

4. Baby gurl

July 1, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I really don’t understand what moves people into aggresively attacking someone just because. The so called Christians judging up and down, let them open their closets, you will faint. You that is condemning, if you are free of any sin please stand up. Before you do anything, just think, if judgement hour comes, will you go up to heaven or travel down to hell? Jesus asked us to do only one thing: LOVE!!! Shikena! Richard, you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Whether you are gay or not, Jesus loves you. ROCK YOUR PINK TO DEATH. I will watch every single episode of your blog until you stop. Continue to be yourself and before you know it, the world will know who you are. As long as Jesus loves you, you alright baybeh! And please, I want fashion tips and style tips in large doses biko nu don’t be adressing all these haters every week o. Love, Baby gurl.

5. Mr. Egghead

July 1, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Reeshard! Reeshard!! Reeshardu!!

How many times did I call you?
    Of all the vlog titles in the world, you chose “Get Pink with Richard.” Pink!!

Whatever floats your boat is fine with me. Gender identity has become fluctuant and amorphous.

Just do you sha!

6. MurderSheWrote

July 1, 2016 at 12:26 pm

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – The great Steve Jobs
    Richard, e who u are, whether gay, bi or straight. U owe no one any damn explanation! Continue to b d style star that u r.

7. glow

July 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Mr. Richard, did you watch this video before posting? Guess you must have noticed you had no eye contact with your audience. I had to stop watching it ‘cos it didn’t feel like you were talking to me,your viewer….i felt like I was eavesdropping . Please improve on this; try and look into the camera…..eye contact is a necessary tool of communication.

8. Prince

July 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm

The worst person you can lie to is yourself. Accept who you are and that’s all. People can talk, but what do you say. There’s nothing wrong with you being GAY bro.

• Kadara

July 1, 2016 at 1:06 pm

How do you know he’s gay? Are you his gay partner? Being effeminate does not always equal gay. It’s people like you that confuse young boys into thinking they are gay. Imagine as a teenage effimate boy and people like you keep telling him to accept he is gay, the child would probably be confused and just accept it since everyone wants to put him in that box. We have had effeminate man since and they are married and enjoying life but now the pressure is to label everyone gay. I believe many young boys these days are living gay because society has convinced them they are gay. If someone says he’s not gay who are you to say he is gay? Is it by force. Being gay is a choice and he’s chosen not to be gay so leave him.

• iyke

July 1, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Of course he is gay and I like him!
      ‘Ayam who ayam…..?’
      Richard it’s so funny how your accent kept fluctuating…..from AmeriBritico to ikotekpene accent….
      Keep doing you bro!No hate!

9. Raphael

July 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Don’t mean to judge, but from the word get… This fellow isn’t straight. I don’t blame him, its BN that wants traffic. If una finish, makenuna born for continuity sake. If it doesn’t lead to procreation, na devil de use una. Nangsense fvckboi.

10. keke driver

July 1, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Raphael the judge…..It’s people like you that pretend to be happy, you’re here criticizing because you’re who again?? you’re just shallow minded and ignorant….And I pity you sooo much!!!

11. sisi eko

July 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Of course he isn’t straight, but that does not mean he is not a human being and he does not have feelings like the rest of us.
    A lot of us have friends that do runs, or drugs or internet scams. but when we see someone that a Gay, that seems to be an unforgivable crime?
    Please as much as we do not agree with this sexuality, let us try and remember that he is just human, with hope and dreams, mummy and daddy, talents and faults etc. Be Kind.

12. Sem

July 1, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Gay, bi, stralight. The world is big enough for all of us. Judging people based on their choices says more about you than the so called sinner. If they are going to hell, i should it your hell? I also understand that it’s difficult to own your truth because it is illegal in this country but it gets better okay?
    My own issue is withhe epileptic accent change. Nigerians need to embrace their accents once and for all.

13. FinchleysFinest

July 1, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Not my cup of tea… but. Oga Richard…..do you really have to share this?

Like I said..Its none of my business . I’ll sit here just sip my hot water and lemon

14. Weezy

July 1, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Dear Richard,

I dont know if you’ll read this. I feel for you. I wish you would name the girl who has been bullying you, because that is exactly what she is -a bully, and an emotional terrorist. Do not trust that woman – do not be friends with her on Facebook, etc. She is an abuser.

I’m sorry you went through this. Know that at the age you are – and being in a Nigerian university – it is incredibly difficult to be unique and authentic. Our culture does not respect difference. I’m worried that you will experience physical violence, if not verbal. I think you should start naming the people who attack you, not to bully them, but to attach their names to the violence. If they are bold enough to bully you, they should be bold enough to be named.

I would love to be your friend, and I’m sure other people would to. Stay strong.

15. LOL

July 1, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Psychoanalysis time – I got time as I’m on leave.
    The girl who betrayed you-did she also leave a comment on one of your posts that you are going out with a closeted musician? I think she fell in love with you or developed strong feelings for you, hoping you’d change or see it, but she was a friend and once she realised, she wanted to really hurt you, make you feel the pain she felt. That’s my Freudian take on it.
    In a way she liberated you, exposed all your fears, yet here you are hail and hearty and in a mutual relationship. You stated people came up to you, perhaps people who had sensed your identity but were too scared to name it. Every cloud they say….
    You are not effeminate, I think it might be a nervous tic, but when you are in deep thought, you are no more effeminate than my husband or cousin, it’s a spectrum.
    About your sexuality, that neck piece is a cross, you touch it a lot, so very dear. So either trying to reconcile conflict of faith and identity or something given by someone very special to you who has brought you closer to the conflict of your identity. Good news, you are loved and nourished and like the rest of us…you have a lifetime to discover yourself. Betrayals only sting as much as you let the wound fester. Life is full of perspective….I hope your vlog will be the catharsis you are looking for and remember….you are still in Nigeria.

16. o

July 1, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I enjoyed watching this. I could see the hurt in his eyes and hear it in his voice. This was obviously very hard for him to do. I hope she sees this and apologises. We can’t all be the same. I’m sure he’ll get better at vlogging as time goes on

17. Nene

July 1, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Richard u seem like a nice and shy guy. U don’t owe anyone any explanation. Keep ur circle small and live ur life. Don’t share ur personal stories with anyone but God and urself. Be happy and live ur life as long as you’re not hurting anyone.

18. Kiiki

July 2, 2016 at 12:17 am

Hey Richard. Don’t worry, you’ve got a friend in me.

I’ve been F’d up by friends too but I’ve got so much live in my heart that I don’t dwell in the pain. It’s their loss ; that’s how I see it. Email me on [email protected] if you or anyine needs to talk.

????

19. Kiiki

July 2, 2016 at 12:17 am

Love**

20. MenUnited

July 5, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Hey Richard!!

So before I comment, lets get two things outta the way. Ur accents were distracting, pay attention to how u are speaking. Ur Audience is naija and u know we have accent monitoring spirit. Lol!!! Also, you gotta look into the camera more and allow us see you.

Now, to the real task at hand….Bravo!!!!! On this vlog. One man to another, it took alot of balls to say dat. I wish i was that brave. I used to be dat friend. I outted and bullied boys back in school. God forgive me. My insecurities made me make others lives hell.

You dont owe me or the public an explanation. Do ur best and they will sing ur praise. Prince, MJ, will smith, luther vandross, etc were effeminate but when they did their work all dat never mattered.
    Forgive me please, cos i am one of those that had soo much vile comments towards u. For some reason you are easy to hate on. Smh @ us being mean spirited towards a kind soul. Thanks for sharing ur soul with other men. We all have battles and its good to share our stories of loneliness and depression.

Be ready for more ignorant peeps tho. Fashion world is ignorantly considered gay only, so most peeps will tag ur sexual preference based on ur occupation. Fear not!!! They will not understand ur journey to greatness. Please no more bum shorts oh, u live in nigeria homeboy. In rome, act like the romans. Hopefully u can move outta nigeria and live ur best life “free”.

Please do more videos, i prefer u talking to writing.

21. Menoword

July 6, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Hi Richard, purely from a technical point of view – please use a contrasting background from your shirt. 2. The person doing your subtitles is not correctly transcribing what you’re saying. Let them use your audio files to transcribe.

22. Tosin

August 8, 2016 at 2:41 am

Watching it, liking it, the subtitles are crazy 😀
    Hugzzzzz