BN TV

Black Students in Pretoria High School for Girls Protest against Discrimination by School Authorities over Hair Policy | WATCH

The leadership of one of South Africa’s leading schools, Pretoria High School for Girls, is being accused of discriminating against its black students.

There have been protests by black girls who say they are being forced by teachers to arrange their hair differently, alleging that they are being made to follow strict style rules that are racist and discriminatory.

The school was only for white children during apartheid.

Watch the video:

1. imali

August 30, 2016 at 10:35 am

I was waiting for BN to publish this.. these kids are so brave.. for a 13 yr old to know her rights? to know that the way she is being shamed for having natural hair is wrong.. that says a lot.. i have been to this school many times.. nd i remember thinking that this school isnt for black girls.. they way they ar treated.. the systemic racism is glaring if you bother to look.

The school prefers if their students wear weaves… for them to have their natural hair, or braids is frowned upon.. how do you call someones hair a birds nest? how do you call them untidy and unkempt when this is their natural hair.. how do you associate someones natural hair with dirt? because it isnt silky straight…. you advice girls to straighten their hair or relax it in order to fit into your mould.. its absurd.. YOU ARE MOCKING GOD..

i had a friend who lost her job because her hair wasnt relaxed… i also had a friend who was refused admission into a specific school because she wasnt ‘black enough’… she wasnt the proper shade of black.. because she was a little lighter skinned.. you see the school management wanted a charcoal black student so that they can appear like they are doing black people a favour by accepting them into their posh school.. WHAT A SHAME

what d people expect.. .. pretoria highschool for girls is a very old school.. it should be over a hundred years old.. i am not too certain.. but this obviously means that the schools foundation is rooted in racism.. for a long time black students werent even allowed into the school.. so im really not shocked that this mess comes from them.. i have seen this first hand.. and so many of my friends graduated from this school.

TO THAT POLICE OFFICER THAT THREATENED TO ARREST A GROUP OF UNARMED BLACK CHILDREN………WE SEE YOU…
    i will be making my way to the school soon in my all black to support these young girls…

• Seriously

August 30, 2016 at 11:49 am

[email protected] I’m so speechless. Sometimes I can’t believe this type of nonsense is still going on in the world let alone in Africa. I’m extremely proud of these girls. Such inspiration. They are standing for what is right. God keep and bless them. How I wish black/African men will stand up with us to fight against foolishness called “racism”. Our issues, should the their issues too bcos at the end of the day white racists just hate us as a group. It’s the most rubbish thing ever to have deep hatred for someone based on their physical appearance they don’t control. God punish wicked people, don’t allow them to go free.
      South Africa is one f*cked up country when it comes to race. A Black Country owned by blacks but whites control it in their own land. This is not Europe but Africa. Some Black South Africans are some of the most conceited, arrogant and insecure people I’ve seen. It makes sense now. The mentality in South Africa is completely messed up.
      God Bless Nelson Mandela and R.I.P Mandiba.
      I wish he was here to see the current situation of his country.

• imali

August 30, 2016 at 12:08 pm

@seriously.. The bravery of these girls is just amazing.. but don’t be quick to praise Mafia.. you see a lot of south africa s haven’t forgiven him.. A lot of them are angry.. yes south Africa is developed but at whose expense.. Mafia did not bother think how the pepole felt.. A lot of pPl consider him a sellout… how do you allow a white person to control your country? The freedom of the people is non negotiable… A white man shldnt come and put conditions on someone elses land.. Other African countries received indepence and kicked out the whitem man.. but Mafia alone decided that he will share the land.. nobody is saying whites shldnt be in Africa.. but they are guests.. and they shld know that.. but Mafia made them CO-OWNERS.. its not ok.. This institutionalised racism is ridiculous..

I just arrived the school.. people are dressed in all black.. including former student.. It truly is a sight.. I am yet to see zulhaika.. The 13 yr old girl with the big afro who stood up to the police and told them to arrest her if they want..

• Seriously

August 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm

@imali I feel you. Please keep us posted on this case. I am interested to see the outcome.

2. Engoz

August 30, 2016 at 11:27 am

People just need to get it into their very thick skulls that African hair does not grow straight. If you don’t like it, do us a favor, take a rope, tie it on your neck and do the needful.

• Prince

August 30, 2016 at 11:49 am

Just tell them to drink SNIPER. that’s faster

3. BitchKalifa

August 30, 2016 at 12:02 pm

It gets me really angry when I hear about racism in Africa, I am so proud of these young girls I stand with you all the way. Some people need to be educated about black hair, nature made our hair kinky curly and thick so that it stands up because of the hot weather while other races have long silky hair that falls to protect their necks from the cold weather, its simple science. The idiots that think its unruly or untidy need to take several seats and shut up!

4. afele

August 30, 2016 at 12:30 pm

your navigation os not working fix it

5. Xoxo

August 30, 2016 at 8:51 pm

South Africa is a F-ed up country. It is so disgusting how an African country can still be dominated by white people who think they have the right the disturb the peace of the real owners of the land. When I first heard the news I thought the girls were just being rebellious cos I didn’t really get the gist but after watching this video, I am appalled. What is wrong with braids, dreads and Afro? Why is there so much hatred for black people. I’m not one to jump and always say everything is an act of racism but this is really an act of racism. Telling black girls to straighten their hair or wear weaves. Wow. No matter how much they try they will never break our spirits. Sisters whether you’re hair is braided, natural, relaxed, curly, locked, barbed, whatever hairstyle you may have on, whether you’re dark skinned, brown skinned or light skinned, we are Africans, we are black and proud. We are a beautiful race and we should not let anyone shame our bodies or how we decide to wear our hair. #iamblackandproud.

6. aj

August 30, 2016 at 11:56 pm

South Africans need to kick these loser white people out of their country because you sure as hell cant try half of what they are dishing out to the black South Africans to their white selves in Europe. I didn’t bother to watch the video because I know I will be pissed off.

7. Issokay

August 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm

We all know there’s racism everywhere especially in S/A. But u guys are forgetting that this is a secondary school, fine asking them to wear weaves or relax their hair as against their braids or natural hair is wrong and unacceptable, but you’ll agree with me that some people’s way of rocking the natural hair is not appropriate for a school. Eg the girl with the placard , African hair is ‘big’ and can’t be silky but it can be plaited or styled in a way that some one doesn’t look like a mad person. Let’s not forget again that this is a secondary school one that is ‘used to the silky hair’