BN TV

BN TV: Beans Out, Lentils In! How to make Nigerian Steamed Bean Pudding aka Moin Moin on Bukie’s Kitchen Muse

In this post, Bukie of Bukie’s Kitchen Muse is showing us how she makes a Nigerian classic, Steamed Bean Pudding aka Moin Moin, here’s what she said;

Today, I’ll be spotlighting Moin Moin on the Kitchen Muse – switching out Beans for Lentils. Now if you haven’t gotten on the Lentil bandwagon, you’re really missing out. It’s probably one of the most understated pulses out there, especially for any one who’s looking to keep a healthy diet without necessarily compromising taste. Lentils are my go-to alternative for beans, so it’s just apt that on this episode I’m using it in place of my regular white beans for this Moin Moin recipe.

And it’s absolutely amazing, people! Not just the taste but also it’s nutritional value with respect to its protein and fiber content – beating, hands-down, any other legume in its category.

I hope you guys try this sometime, if you haven’t done so already. And I’d like to know what other lentil recipes you’re currently whipping up in your kitchens.

Watch the Video

1. Bodunade

August 23, 2016 at 6:29 am

Nothing like beans, not even close. Ewa elepo definitely sounds better than lentils elepo 🙁

• Somborri

August 23, 2016 at 1:03 pm

you’ve got a point but when it comes to food people are usually more concerned with simple things like nutritional value, taste and ease of preparation as opposed to what the name of the food sounds like *wink*

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Lol, for sure.

2. C'est moi

August 23, 2016 at 10:30 am

I love lentils. When I serve beans to my kids they ask me why it isn’t lentils o. It’s really good and yummy.
    Fry a lil soya oil and chicken strips in the oil, spice well and mix the already cooked lentils in it.
    It is that easy. Try it and you won’t regret it. I buy from any good supermarket in naija. It’s everywhere.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it.

3. Aisha

August 23, 2016 at 11:01 am

I’ll definitely try this alternative.
    I usually eat my boiled lentils with vegetable soup.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Nice!

4. mugzie

August 23, 2016 at 11:51 am

Are lentils sold in local markets because i haven’t come across any or just in supermarkets?

• C'est moi

August 23, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Try the supermarket its more of an Indian/Lebanese food. in Naija markets you may find it ooo but why not just pop into shoprite, spar, or any other place.

5. Shalewa

August 23, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I am a lentil convert, moinmoin and akara only though. Lovely.

6. finddingatm

August 23, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Cool. Just one thing…why do we have to try to translate moin-moin to english language. Why can’t it just be “Moin-Moin” and maybe put the english translation in Moin-Moin in brackets (maybe for understanding as opposed to using it the other way around and making the real name secondary).. Pizza isn’t english, but we don’t have to convert it. Habanero isn’t english but everyone uses it as it is. It’s little point but i don’t think that it is irrelevant.

7. findingatm

August 23, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Is this how commenting on BN works? A comment made 4 hours ago is still receiving moderation. Alright o! Continu!

8. Hadiza

August 24, 2016 at 7:15 am

I don’t like it when you try to call our own Nigerian food oyibo names , moi moi is moi moi not bean pudding oyibo pple dont go all the way to make us comfortable by calling there own food a name we can relate with ,

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I’m sorry, I’ll take note.