News

I named my dog “Buhari” because President Buhari is my Hero – Trader

Joe Fortmose Chinakwe

Joe Fortmose Chinakwe

The trader, Joe Fortemose Chinakwe, who was arrested in Sango-Ota, Ogun state, for naming his and inscribing “Buhari” on his dog has been released.

His release was facilitated by the intervention of both the Serkin Hausa and President-General of non-indigenes in the state.

Speaking to Vanguard after his release, Chinakwe, who is 30 years old, said that he named his dog “Buhari” because President Buhari has been his hero since he was military ruler over 30 years ago.

Narrating his ordeal, he said:

It is annoying because the complainant is from Niger Republic and I am sure he is one of those illegal aliens in this country.  He connived with one Police Sergeant from the Northern part of Nigeria called Musa, who works at Sango Police division to humiliate me.

Worse still, the Divisional Police Officer there, did not help matters as he refused to entertain any plea from me after I was arrested that Saturday night. He simply ordered his men to throw me into the cell.

I did not commit any offence. I named my beloved pet dog Buhari, who is my hero. My admiration for Buhari started far back when he was a military Head of State. It continued till date that he is a civilian President.

After reading his dogged fight against corruption, which is like a canker worm eating into the very existence of this country, I solely decided to rename my beloved dog which I called Buhari, after him. I did not know that I was committing an offence for admiring Buhari.

I was intimidated and thrown inside the cell with hardened criminals for about three days. While I was there, the complainant from Niger Republic and Sergeant Musa from the North kept on taunting me saying people from my part of the country are trouble makers and that after detaining me, they will throw me into prison where I will die unsung.

Even when my wife came with our baby on her back, they stopped her from giving me food.  One of my friends that came to see me was also maltreated.

While taking me to Eleweran the next day, they handcuffed and chained me together with that my friend. Fortunately, when we got to police headquarters, both the Commissioner of Police and other officers were angry with their colleagues at Sango-Ota.

They were wondering loudly why I was brought to the headquarters over such a minor case. It’s very unfortunate that I have to be so humiliated in my own country because of the antics of a foreigner in connivance with my brother from the North.

Photo Credit: Vanguard

1. Sheri

August 18, 2016 at 9:35 am

This is so bizarre. Nigeria can be such a mess. Even if he did hate Buhari & named his Dog after him, so what?! There are mad men everywhere sleeping with babies, minors but the police force think it best to go after people who choose to name their Dog’s Buhari? REALLY?! Is Buhari God? This is what I call oversabi, I think it’s even offensive to the poor Dog to be named after such a man and not the other way round.

• Didi

August 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm

It’s not farfetched to even say that these Boko Haram insurgent come from Niger Republic. Those evil men funding Boko haram might have assured them of migrating as long they join the insurgency. Apart from that this country is really screwed and pathetic

2. Toby Crackit

August 18, 2016 at 9:35 am

Very soon they will say corruption should not be fought, it has eaten deep into the very little parts of our community. Imagine the policemen using the ‘little’ power they have to humiliate a citizen of this great country. It is really sad truly.

3. Busarni

August 18, 2016 at 9:44 am

In a decent society ; the police officer will be shown the way out of the force and the alien repatriated back to Niger republic.

4. Akposy

August 18, 2016 at 10:25 am

I don’t know the problem of Nigerian Police. They need cleansing

5. The Real Oma

August 18, 2016 at 10:36 am

Mr Chinakwe, i am sorry you had to go through all that, and happy you are now free, that is Naija for you, where the innocent are punished and the guilty go free.
    I must also applaud your spoken English, great vocabulary you have got (especially for a trader, yes, i admit the stereotype).

• Uyai

August 18, 2016 at 10:47 am

@The real oma, jeez wht is really wrong with you people , so his command of english is much more important and what impressed you more..Jesus, when will this mental slavery stop

• The Real Oma

August 18, 2016 at 11:35 am

I am not sure what is wrong with you Uyai, if you read my comment you would notice the second bit was an aside.
      Did someone take your cookie???

6. Prince

August 18, 2016 at 10:57 am

Can you imagine, chained someone because he chose to name his dog the name he likes. Nigeria Police is a joke.

7. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

August 18, 2016 at 2:02 pm

The Acting Inspector General of Police needs to check the excesses of junior police officers. From the look of things, Your officers needs more training on the law. . I am advising the Ogun State Police Command, not to appoint acting PRO. Abimbola to that position because, he doesn’t have the education, not the experience it takes to manage the position.. How can you (The Police )arrest a man who hasn’t committed any offence, refused him bail, to top it all, escalated the non Matter, transferred the case from Sango Police Station to The Ogun State Police Command at Elewe Eran. This is ridiculous.

8. Author Unknown

August 18, 2016 at 2:42 pm

“They were wondering loudly why I was brought to the headquarters over such a minor case”

Minor case? There was no case. Even if he didn’t like Buhari. Do we have a law against naming dogs after people? Is Buhari a trademarked name or something unique only to our president? Nigeria is such a backward country. Anyone could get arrested for pretty much anything.

9. SOLFARD

August 19, 2016 at 3:51 pm

IT IS A KNOWN FACT THAT A PEOPLE WITH A CITY WITHOUT WALLS ARE AS GOOD AS A NO CITY(SOLFARD). HOW CAN YOU SAY WE HAVE A POLICE WITHOUT POLITY?