News

Men in FCT Lament the Impact of their Wives’ Obsession with Aso-Ebi on Family Finances

NAN

Man Holding Money - Naira | Nsoedo Frank | Foto.com.ngMany men in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, have decried that their wives’ obsession with uniform attire for occasions, popularly called “aso-ebi” or “anko” has taken toll on their finances.

Some of the men who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Tuesday said that their partner’s quest for “aso-ebi” was affecting their economic status.

Olamide Johnson, a civil servant, complained that his wife spent a lot of money on acquiring aso-ebi for occasions, which had affected the family’s finances.

“I don’t know the person that even brought this idea of aso-ebi into our society. It has made a lot of women to strive very hard towards acquiring it for weddings or other occasions. This quest has affected my finance as my wife has made it a point of duty to wear aso-ebi for any wedding we are attending,” he complained.

Chidi Nwosu, a businessman, said that his wife’s quest for aso-ebi had brought a lot of fights into their marital home.

“I have banned my wife from sewing any aso-ebi again, as it has caused a lot of fight in our home. The money that we are supposed to use for other things, she diverts it to buy aso-ebi to attend weddings and other ceremonies,” he said.

Similarly, Ezekiel Sunday decried his wife’s obsession to wearing uniform clothes to the extent of borrowing money from people or collecting it on credit.

“Even when I refuse to give her money for aso-ebi, she uses virtually all her salary to buy it, even to the extent of borrowing just to get it,” he said.

Olu Matthew advised that women should convert the money earmarked for aso-ebi to buy useful gifts for the couple.

“Instead of buying aso-ebi that are expensive, people should rather concentrate on gifts or giving the couple money that they could use in their homes. An alternative is to wear the wedding colours of the day for the occasion, it mustn’t be aso-ebi or ‘anko’,” he said.

NAN reports that the era of aso-ebi or anko for occasion or ceremony began in the 60’s, especially among the Yorubas of the South west.

The custom had hitherto spread to the other tribes in the country and which had made it more widely acceptable

It is, however, getting more complex.

Fabrics usually used for aso-ebi or anko is ankara (wax material) which is arguably the cheapest in the market between N2,500 to as much as N7,000 depending on the capacity of the celebrants.

In most cases, fabrics for cap and headgear are added to complete the attire, and costs may increase by N500 each.

Perhaps, the main reason for aso-ebi or anko in most cases, is to raise funds for the celebrator to finance his or her ceremony or occasion.

The celebrators in many ceremonies compensated those who bought his or her aso-ebi or anko with gifts at the occasion and which in many cases, had been added to the cost of the fabrics.

Photo Credit: Nsoedo Frank | Foto.com.ng

1. wendy

August 9, 2016 at 2:28 pm

lmao…..
    Thank God I don’t do those madness…. I wear what I have in my closet or buy something new if I am in the mood. people know not to come to me with that shit….

My relative wife was doing a wake for MIL…She was like to me, I for ask you if u want to buy aso ebi but I know say u no dey into it… My response to her was u know me better…

Aso ebi ni .. Aso ebi Ko!!!!! Keep pressuring yourself people to have 20 aso ebi when u can use ur money for something better

2. Stace

August 9, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Lol this is beyond silly. I mean How amount cutting your coat according to your size. Not do follow follow. A woman already knows these financial implications so they choose to still buy for events.

3. Baby gurl

August 9, 2016 at 2:51 pm

lol if Abuja is complaining “What Would Lagos Do?” LMAO they should take several seats please. But mehn our mothers and fellow sisturrs can like to calm down on the weekly aso ebi. It is not by force it ain’t compulsory. By the way a wise woman called Auntie Betty Irabor once said something like: if the color of the day is peach by all means go and shop your own wardrobe and I bet there will be a peach outfit or something very close. Selah!

4. Tolulope

August 9, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Chilling for ‘Pauladeyemo’s” comment.

5. Tru

August 9, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Is Aso-ebi by force?

6. Baba

August 9, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Pastor Adeboye should have added this to the list of the ‘Women you should not marry’.
    The man buys an expensive suit that would last forever and his wife cries…think about all tha Aso Ebi she has bought this year.The bad part is you cannot wear this aso ebi to another party!!!
    I remember people you to laugh at a certain man in my church,because according to them,he knows how to spoil Aso ebi by over-wearing it.

7. Sonia Paloma

August 9, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I heard some Aso-Ebi can go as high as n150K
    When I was told that I laughed so hard and said there is no way that is true.
    Or is there something I am missing? is it not the same lace like African print we have been wearing for ages?

8. Prince

August 9, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Wetin Lagos husbands go come talk. Nah die be that na. how many party dey happen for Abuja

9. Gorgeous

August 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Aso-Ebi is traditionally for family members. And then friends can decide to pick their own cloth in solidarity with a friend. It is not in any way a compulsory cloth for guests. Celebrants are just exploiting their guests. If you do not have money, throw a party that is equivalent to your pocket! My people of those days will rather borrow money than pass unnecessary costs to their guests. If i am not a family member, i do not buy aso-ebi! i wear what i have. Nonsense. Aso- Ebi means family cloth, or cloth that identifies who my family members are. Period!

10. ......

August 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm

In Lagos that women will buy asoebi… Sew for some ridiculous amount. Pay to tie gele.. Now come and pay for makeup.. For just one Saturday.

Me I have kuku made up my mind that any wedding I get invited to.. If I don’t have a dress.. I will go and buy 600 naira quality crepe in the market. Steal style from Instagram.. Give my badass never dissapoints and affordable tailor and still look fly.
    #NoAsoebiIn2016 for me

11. Mama T.

August 9, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I will say these fellow women need to be educated. By education, I don’t mean they need to go to school o before throwing stones at me. The people that brought the aso-ebi to you will be the first to criticize or laugh at you even backbite when you cannot afford the money after their inawo or when your husband start fighting you. One day celebration causing eternal agony. Lots of home has been broken due to the fact that some women can’t think themselves. Instead of opening /starting a fund for the future of children in these days that a year school fees is mounting to millions of naira. Anyway, whoever wants to think that I am selfish or I am a miser in this case better go ahead and think whatever they want. After all, it’sa free world we’re living in.

12. slice

August 9, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Cheap men

13. Beard gang

August 9, 2016 at 4:27 pm

@slice cheap mind

14. Frida

August 9, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I refused to do aso-ebi at my wedding and also refuse to buy asoeebi for anyone’s wedding. I hate the idea of it. Instead I wear what I please …..what a liberating feeling.

15. Niyoola

August 9, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Hian!
    There was no asoebi at my wedding. I wasn’t even up for stress abeg.
    Secondly, if you can’t afford it’ repeat after me: “sisi, I can’t afford your asoebi, I won’t be buying.”

If you don’t want asoebi, say: sisi, I don’t want asoebi, it’s very pretty though, nice colours.

Don’t let anyone guilt you into buying fabric.

You too, calm down……. even if you can afford it, must you always buy? Only you asoebi (fabric you’l probably not wear again, for fear of some1 ‘stealing your look’), pay for gele and make-up, Uber ride or whatever; 3 weekends a month. abeg calm down.

16. Sammie

August 9, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Most women are stupid that’s why. They lack capacity to think n preserve long term.

• Yola