News

“I never campaigned for Buhari or any other politician” – Basketmouth responds to Backlash from Fans

BellaNaija.com

IMG_3187 Basketmouth My Nigeria

Over the past couple of days comedian Basketmouth has been quite vocal about his disappointment in the present government. Some of his social media followers lashed out at him saying he was one of the entertainers that falsely endorsed the government but in a lengthy post Basketmouth has cleared the air.

He wrote:

I usually try not to pay attention to comments from people that assume stuff or those who judge others based on perceptions. However I have also come to agree that when lies are said often enough, they begin to sound like truths. So I think it’s best I use this medium to clear the issue of “campaigns” and “support” now.

While many of my colleagues, friends and family members campaigned for the PDP, APC and various candidates during the last elections (and I cannot emphasize enough that it is their RIGHT to do so), I never campaigned for Buhari or any other politician.

ALL those saying that I did should do everything within their power to “THINK”. I know thinking can be a very difficult task for some but trust me, it can be a painless and enlightening process. THINK of when I ever “CAMPAIGNED” for BUHARI!!.. Indeed I personally HOPED that he would win the election and perhaps that was evident in my “body language” and I am happy he won. But I did not campaign for him.

Nigeria was in a bad place by the end of the last administration and it was only a matter of time before we would have suffered the plights of Brazil and Venezuela. Truth of the matter is that I would have voted ANYONE that could speak 2 words of English against GEJ and that’s strictly based on the amount of greed and selfishness we witnessed from members of his administration in the 6 years that he sat on the rock. They put us in this Septic tank we are in right now…..well, that and the oil price downfall amongst other things.

I have said it numerous times that I am not a politician hence I try not to dabble in politics. However I think a few people interpret crying out against injustice by the one as campaign for the other. When the Late FELA KUTI and BOB MARLEY cried out against the injustices in their days, were they being partisan? Of course not. They were just being HUMAN!

I am forever grateful to God for blessing me with a flourishing career, a beautiful family, food on my table and small change in my pocket. However I see too many people everyday who have not been so lucky to travel and see the way things are outside Nigeria/Africa. I have seen how GOVERNMENT can influence and affect the lives of the downtrodden positively. I am still patient, praying and hoping that PMB can turn Nigeria’s economy around and help strengthen Nigeria’s social justice system. Not so I can cheer him and be vindicated that I was right and some were wrong, but so my friends, family members and well-wishers who haven’t been favored as others can have renewed hope in our country Nigeria and the brotherhood we have enjoyed in this generation. Even the United States went through a tough recession in 2008 and with some patience they have been able to turn that around.

So long story short, did I campaign for PMB? NO! Do I support and PRAY that his administration should succeed and improve the life of the common man, increase security, food, jobs, infrastructure, quality of education, healthcare and every other area that will make Nigerians proud wherever they may find themselves? YES!!

On the other hand, should he and his party fail, we are all free to cast our votes for the next man come 2019 and I shall be exercising that right. No need for quarrel.

1. adele

August 9, 2016 at 2:58 pm

your website is not working when i click next page it redirects to access bank fix it

2. mars

August 9, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Go nd sleep u openly critised d past govt with ur medium during d period of d elections y didn’t u patiently hope for a change d way u are hoping nw

3. Dhoney

August 9, 2016 at 3:17 pm

BM just leave Nigerian youths alone with their cluelessness. Imagine NANS just officially came out to support Dogara, the chief padder.Even if you support PMB, what makes you more sane is for you to come out and criticize him when thing aren`t going as expected. I supported GEJ with all I had but the moment I discovered how money were being stolen left and right without any stress and defenseless people were being killed while GEJ was busy dancing shoki around, I withdrew my support.
    Our mumu youths fail to realize that the common enemy we have in Nigeria are the POLITICIANS, the only thing they know is to come to social media and abuse people upandan.

• Mama

August 10, 2016 at 3:52 am

Exactly my position. I voted for the first time in my life (cos i couldn’t be bothered previously) for Goodluck and i became very disappointed with him by the end of his tenure. It therefore amuses me that his supporters turn a blind eye to that. Goodluck lost elections because a vast majority of the people who voted him the first time had lost faith in him. That is called being objective!

The same benefit that was given to him is what is being given to Buhari, it does not mean that because you voted Buhari you cannot disagree or criticize him. If he fails he gets booted out no strings attached. We can not continue to hold on to one person because we don’t know if the next one will be better or worse. The only way to know is by trying.

You do they talk, you don’t do they still talk. Baskemouth owes no one any explanation for his political decisions. He had one vote just like everyone else.

4. FAXIE

August 9, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Honestly, I don’t think he needs to respond to anyone. Nigerian youths have misplaced priorities,they will criticize people on social medias and argue about who cooks in the home. I was against the last administration and this one seems to be failing as well. At this rate, come 2019, we will vote him out again till Nigeria gets it right. Its never about if you supported GEJ or Buhari, its about making Nigeria great and free of corruption every where. This is our country and regardless of who you supported if it fails we suffer. Hence, I think we should direct our frustrations to the politicians. Infact, I suggest a nationwide peaceful protest on this administration at this rate. Without mincing words, Nigeria is failing and we have to act NOW.

• artklub

August 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I can appreciate your pov however, how long b4 we get it right? What clues can we learn from this last election so that the same mistakes are not made again? When they ASKED Buhari to come and debate he refused, what that not a CLUE? I think its ironic how everyone enjoys American election debates, but just accepted when Buhari did not show up….When people show/tell you who they are at first, believe them! No certificate! Elders lamented that this guy would be marginal, tribalistic and prejudice, did the youths listen? So what are the YOUTHS looking for? And how will they read the SIGNS next time? Nigerians sorry to say remain SHORT-SIGHTED and as long as that continues, will continue to suffer.

5. Prince

August 9, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Criticizing a government does not mean someone is campaigning for another to come take over. Criticism can be very helpful and healthy depending on how you see it especially if you’re a Tax Payer.
    The biggest thing a citizen can do for his country is pay his/her tax. If you pay your tax, you can criticize till Jesus come

6. Tosin

August 9, 2016 at 3:59 pm

“I am still patient, praying and hoping that PMB can turn Nigeria’s economy around and help strengthen Nigeria’s social justice system.”
    Na you patient pass.
    Very nonsense rant.
    Instead of you to give up and start praying for a new strategy…or have you seen any moves in the past year in the direction of social justice being strengthened or economy being paid any sensible attention? A whole comedian yarning dust. Body language ko, body odour ni.

Sorry to be so rude. I shouldn’t have read the essay in the first place.

7. blessed child

August 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Basket mouth e don tai weh mumu don de worry you. Na for GEJ time you begin chop belle full, but you preferred hardship, stop complaining, embrace ‘change’ it is here with you now, enjoy it.

• nene+

August 9, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Please basket mouth enjoy your change please!!! You endorsed PMB please don’t deny! Just enjoy it!

• kikiki

August 9, 2016 at 7:36 pm

You this elenu that was using the stage to speak against GEJ in the heat of campaign now claim not to have endorsed PMB? Wonders shall never end! Behold the change you campaigned for.

8. Onochie

August 9, 2016 at 4:39 pm

story4dgods. In other news, they brought back the WAI from 31yrs ago. The question is, can it function in a Democratic setting? Isn’t it a redundancy? We have kai, nscdc,police, opc, APC, efcc… And still counting. The road to redemption is looking farther than I personally anticipated. All the best to APC even though they have left a sour taste in our mouths.
    Basket, I need your ‘small change in my pocket’ o

9. Asa

August 9, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I support Basket Mouth on his post 1000 percent! I too was not a fan of the GEJ administration and I screamed it from the rooftops especially during the elections. Is PMB doing the magic I imagined he would do? No he isn’t and I still hope and pray his administration gets better. If it doesn’t get better however, what will I do? I will exercise my rights to vote at the next election and I will be as vocal in my criticism of PMB government as I was of the GEJ government. B mouth I dey your side o jare!

10. Weezy

August 9, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I have a new found respect for this guy.

11. artklub

August 9, 2016 at 8:09 pm

hahahaha – chop knuckle 🙂

12. mrs chidukane

August 9, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I have the same sentiments myself. Ultimately what I want is a better Nigeria for us all and I don’t mind voting for an orange man if he will get the work done. The under nourished children I see in the market everyday gives me sleepless nights. I wish we could just eschew rubbish sentiments, join our hands together and build our country.

13. Art

August 9, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Guilty conscience has set in. when you were insulting former President Jonathan in his face at the presidential meeting with youths in Lagos during the campaigns you made every discerning mind know where your loyalty was, so quit rambling. Is it now you want to act professional, sorry Basket mouth, you can’t rewind the hands of the clock. As far as i know the only few comedians that showed professionalism during the election season were Apkororo and Alibaba.