Scoop

“My first date after my separation I cried on my way home” – Toke Makinwa talks about her Rebirth in Fame Extra Magazine

Toke-Makinwa-Fame-Extra-Magazine-BellaNaija (3)Toke Makinwa is the cover star for the debut issue of Fame Extra Magazine.

The media personality’s editorial spread is tagged “The Rebirth” as she talks about everything from dating again, to misconceptions about marriage, the upsides to being single and more. She also talks about fashion, her body and so much more.

See excerpts below from the interview with Latasha Ngwube.

HER MARRIAGE & DATING

Toke-Makinwa-Fame-Extra-Magazine-BellaNaija (5)

On misconceptions about marriage: People are not honest enough! You are told to keep quiet about everything like showing a sign of ‘all is not well’ automatically means you have a bad marriage. The thing is, everyone struggles, no situation is perfect and if people walked around with a little bit of honesty about their situation, a lot of marriages might survive. Religion is also a very big problem, God is involved in Marriage and he has also blessed us with the capacity to think and make decisions for ourselves so people need to be less religious and more aware of His love. There will be way less judgement. So much goes on in a home and you are told to keep mute, keep taking, pray till your knees get dark from kneeling (which is a good thing, don’t get me wrong), but a lot of people lose who they are trying to keep with all of these mandates that doesn’t always work. I am not saying you should go around telling everyone your business but I feel if we had more people open up about their struggles and a society that is less judgmental, people will begin to appreciate the beauty of seeing two people work at staying together and realising the sheer amount of work required on both sides.

On dating again: Yes, and I am having a lot of fun right now.

On being single: It’s tricky! It’s exactly like learning to ride a bike again but I think I am doing very well. Laughs. Of course you get the initial stumble and fall off but the key is to accept that things are different now and that’s ok. My first date after my separation, I cried on my way home as I couldn’t believe I was back dating again, the stress and joys of getting to know someone again, the excruciating pain of the past and the will to trust another again.

HER CONTROVERSIES

Toke-Makinwa-Fame-Extra-Magazine-BellaNaija (1)

On the most absurd thing she’s read: That I had a child I was hiding. It was so silly but yeah, that was funny.

On handling controversies: I just don’t meddle too much in what is being said or how it is being analysed… I simply keep it moving. God has been so incredible in my career and before I started, he told me. “You will hold your peace and I will fight for you”. He has not failed me yet. I just pray about the situation and remind him always that as a servant looks up to his master and a maid servant to her mistress; my eyes are on him (GOD).

On googling herself: Loooool. I used to have the google alert on my phones but it was so mentally draining and because I try not to believe the hype, I just work, work some more and stay thankful… I took it off!

HER BODY

Toke-Makinwa-Fame-Extra-Magazine-BellaNaija (2)

On plastic surgery: Hmm… I am not against it, I feel like it’s a comfort thing, I have seen people struggle with those things that they are insecure about and once they get something done, they become different people. They are more confident, and if it rocks their boats, why not? I never judge another’s decision as I haven’t walked a quarter of a mile in their shoes so whatever makes you happy, whatever helps you sleep well at night…. Knock yourself out.

On her favourite feature: I used to wish I was taller, I used to wish I had a bigger frame and I passed 25 and started adding some extra weight and I wished for my small frame even more. No one is perfect, we are all on a journey to love ourselves and some people get there faster than others but in the end, we realise that it keeps changing and the key is to embrace even the things that we want to change so bad.

On her skin secrets: I have none. I never go to bed with makeup on, I am a product junkie, you should see me at the cosmetic brand, I try so many things till I find what works and I try to exfoliate a lot too.

HER FASHION

Toke-Makinwa-Fame-Extra-Magazine-BellaNaija (4)

On how much her beauty looks cost monthly: I can’t tell you otherwise I’d have to kill you but I feel really blessed and fortunate enough to have met some amazing people who took a chance with my brand from day 1. It goes beyond achequelationship and I try to tell a lot of upcoming people in this business; you’ve got to climb the tree not from the top but from the bottom. Find people with similar goals who want nothing more than to succeed and form a partnership where everyone grows together and it’s beneficial. That way we would all work when no money is coming in and then work some more when we are all MADE. Everyone on my team is now on a retainer and we started from the bottom. Let’s just say God heard our cry and has blessed us and is still blessing us.

On designers she currently loves: Lately, my love for shoes are actually a problem. Lol… I love Balenciaga, Aquazzura Wild things/pompoms, Sergio Rossi, and of course Alaia Sandals too. For me I go thru phases when it comes to labels, I am a label whore, I need to stay faithful but they are so many amazing brands it’s like a kid in the candy store. For clothing, I love me some Nigerian Brands like Nouva Couture, Toju Foyeh, Lisa Folawiyo, April by Kunbi, Lanre Da Silva and Deola by Deola Sagoe.

On fashion don’ts: Oh there are so many but what irks me the most must be the wearing everything in trend. Not everything in trend fits your body frame. I love to keep up with fashion and of course everyone loves to be on top of their game and we like to have an idea of which direction the world is going but there are somethings that are in and might not necessary be for me.

For more head over to www.fameextramagazine.com

Credits:
Photography:  Aham Ibeleme
Art direction/Styling:  Ifan Ifeanyi Michael
Makeup: Anita “Brows” Adetoye
Hair: Fabulous Hair
Outfit: Moashy Studios
Control Hat: Ifeanyi Nwune
Neckpiece: Nichole by Haguanna
Styling Assistant: Osegbo Michael
Interview: Latasha Ngwube

1. Olori

September 19, 2016 at 9:20 am

The styling is very directional. Aaaw that child reaching out to Toke’s hair in the third picture I’m assuming this is Makoko God bless and keep those children ? . This is an amazing debut Ifan congrats to you and your team. Is Fame Extra hiring!? I’m willing and able o lol. Plenty of passion for magazine!

• Gwe is an irritant

September 20, 2016 at 12:56 am

And all that’s bothering me with these photos even after reading all the comments is “where is her neck?” That white top isn’t sittting well somehow! Meanwhile, this stylist couldn’t find a purple suit that fit. We know Toke is short but you knew that when you took the job to do the shoot or not?

2. Princess P

September 19, 2016 at 9:45 am

Nice interview….my respect for Toke is on another level for handling her marriage scandal very well

3. Kosi

September 19, 2016 at 9:47 am

I’m sorry, am I the only one that finds that picture very disturbing? Poor children looking up to her? What exactly is the point of that picture? Oga o.

• EC

September 19, 2016 at 10:00 am

YES. that they the children can aspire to be better, to leave where they are now and make it.
      Not necessarily aspire to be Toke themselves.
      I love it a. well done

• tunmi

September 19, 2016 at 2:41 pm

…. they are reaching out to her, they can see but not touch, that is a disturbing (although very true) imagery

• Corolla

September 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Nope! I didn’t like that picture one bit. I don’t get the aim of photographers when they shoot designer label clad “celebs” , with underprivileged/ street children. Are they trying to tell a “glamor in the midst of squalor” story ni? So distasteful!

• tunmi

September 19, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Remember Eku’s colonial photoshoot…yeah, that’s what this is looking like (Sugabelly helped me make that connection–I knew something was doing me with this photos)

• parodi

September 19, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Ah! BN, to zoom picture sef dis your pop-up follow zoom. Please remove it. I cant see !!!!

4. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 19, 2016 at 9:49 am

TOKE IS BAE…. BOW DOWN EVERY WOMAN?

• Baby gurl

September 19, 2016 at 10:00 am

Bow down gini? Are you lost? What is even your problem. Please stop looking for our trouble and face your front. Tenz.

5. Enoch Ba

September 19, 2016 at 10:01 am

Nice exposition. Always loving hard working ladies.. Same with the strenght of Linda in this her new video.. http://sholibay.com/2016/09/19/every-time-idea-died-started-something-else-linda-ikejis-emotive/

6. Paul Adeyemo

September 19, 2016 at 10:15 am

Attention seeker oshi.

7. Ms Kunms

September 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

On her skin secrets…. Toke: I’,m a product junkie?. Really? aren’t you a brand ambassador for what’s it called again? Mecran..yeah that! or your contract does not state that you should rep the brand. toh!

8. Sitta Luvz

September 19, 2016 at 10:42 am

Such an extraordinary woman, proud of her for walking away from that mentally abusive marriage. Wishing her a blessed new journey, pray about him (the new beau), before jumping in this time Toke. We live and we learn, such is life.

• Derin87

September 19, 2016 at 11:57 am

She didn’t walk out of her ‘abusive marriage’, her husband left her, but still, respect to her for handling it well. God continue to strengthen her, cause it will be tough to move on

• Nuna

September 19, 2016 at 12:34 pm

She filed for divorce so yea, she walked out.

• slice

September 19, 2016 at 12:38 pm

She did walk out. He tried to make it work after cheating. Or don’t you know most naija women would not have left him

• Moi

September 19, 2016 at 7:41 pm

So what has dis ur correction achieved??? Form before substance…SMH

9. Joy Ojo

September 19, 2016 at 10:52 am

She spoke very well on the marriage issue. The truth was said I must confess. Everything is always fine when you know deep down all is not well. The fear of not letting people know your shit leads us to destruction sometimes. God help us in naija.

10. shode

September 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

am starting to think this ‘ uncle gwe gwe gwe’ is aunty ‘Uche Pedro’ in disguise cause he/she is on every comment session on BN and always the first to comment or he is just a worker on BN.. cause it seems he is jobless (no shades) love him sha..

• Na

September 19, 2016 at 11:48 am

Excuse you! Did you just try and shade Uche Pedro on her own blog?
      Are you a dullard?

11. Mondela

September 19, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I wonder what kind of man dates a woman like her-with a messed up personality.smh.

• slice

September 19, 2016 at 12:37 pm

A man that knows he’s not better than Jesus. All you perfect pple creating imperfect unions with ur high standards

• Sigh

September 19, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Smh! May God forgive you

12. nnenne

September 19, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Do your thing Toke.
    Haters would hate!
    I Love strong women with balls. Ironically, most of them manage homes better, ones they get a man who knows!!!

13. shode

September 19, 2016 at 12:54 pm

hey NA, I wasn’t trying to dise Uche Pedro.. God forbid bad thing, I love her so much.. and for uncle gwe gwe gwe he is always on our face on BN so I thought may be he has free entry to BN, as in, manager things.. please you guys should forgive me oo before feminist eat me up

• Baby gurl

September 19, 2016 at 1:41 pm

lol you are forgiven I guess. Better choice of words next time ?

14. Dolapo

September 19, 2016 at 1:06 pm

It’s already hard for successful down to earth women finding a good man. Let alone a not humble one like Linda. Humility is just not her strength. She sings her own praise so much, it would be tough for an equally successful man to want to be around all that see me see me she does.

15. adelegirl

September 19, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I can so relate to her crying on her first date after her separation – I did that too but from my experience, i think that’s a healthy sign and I am so pleased for her that she is dating again and will hopefully find love again. And it is true that God fights for her. Just look how her career has skyrocketed in spite of all the bad press and stories and hateful comments on blogs. It is obvious her life is marked by God’s grace. There are some things you just can’t explain and that’s how God’s grace works. Well done Toke!

16. me

September 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm

The photos of Toke will leave an imprint in the mind of those children that there is a great life out there outside squalor. It ignites a dream in them, many a people have been inspired by pictures similar to this. Nice interview Toke.

17. Marlvina

September 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

LOL.

18. tunmi

September 19, 2016 at 2:42 pm

The kids in these photos do it for me. The clothes look heavy on Toke

• Olanna&Odenigbo

September 19, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Yup too heavy, they swallowed her…. but clothes or not, wish her continued healing and better love in d future, amen.

19. lara

September 19, 2016 at 5:16 pm

may God bless your new beginning Toke, love your personality. nice interview.

20. Nahum

September 19, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Toke you deserve to be happy and good for you for not allowing yourself to be continually disrespected and cheated on. Wipe those tears and look forward to true love.

21. annietripps

September 20, 2016 at 12:40 pm

“I try to tell a lot of upcoming people in this business; you’ve got to climb the tree not from the top but from the bottom. Find people with similar goals who want nothing more than to succeed and form a partnership where everyone grows together and it’s beneficial”- solid advice right there.