Scoop

“Their actions are an embarrassment to Nigeria’s image” – Actor Kalu Ikeagwu narrates his Ordeal with the Nigerian Police

BellaNaija.com

kalu

Yesterday there were reports about Nollywood actor Kalu Ikeagwu’s arrest and subsequent release by the Nigerian Police over a case that he was not involved in. In an interview with Sahara Weekly, he narrates the ordeal he and his family went through in the hands of the Nigerian Police Force

According to the actor, “Yesterday, 26th of September 2016, at about 3:40pm my daughter had just been dropped off at home by her official school bus while I opened the gate for her to come into the house, two men accosted and ordered that I should follow them, then I asked them who they are, instead they flashed an Identity card that only showed police written on it without any name. Meanwhile, these two men were in plain clothes and one of them had a black looped earring. At this point, I said I was not going to follow them since I do not know who they are. Suddenly a white unmarked bus pulled up in front of me and four more men on plain clothes appeared from the bus with one pointing an AK47 raffle at my fore head.”

Kalu Ikeagwu explains that the men over powered and handcuffed him while they drove to Pen-cinema Police station Agege, Lagos State. They drove past area G Police Station Ogba which is closer to Kalu’s residence. Arriving at Pen-cinema Police station, they held him outside the gate  until a man appeared wearing a black long coat who simply identified himself as Born Great Benin.

The actor says “I said to him I cannot answer any  question  from you,  unless I am taken  into the police station proper, it was this Born Great  Benin that later  ordered them to take off the cuffs  and asked them to bundled me into  the bus again and they  drove off to somewhere I later identified as area F,  police station Ikeja.  At this area F rather than take me into the station’s main building, I was held at a room when a certain gentle man identified as Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Philips came in and showed me a telephone number and asked if I knew the owner of the number…”

The actor was able to sort things out with the police.

Talking about how the Nigerian Police handled the case he says “first I will talk about my wife, she is still in fear even till this moment she even stopped me from jogging this morning. I thank God at the way she handled the situation, the situation has made me remember I have a gift in her. For me, it only reminded me of what a movie director in Enugu told me, he said, he can forgive a man that takes away his wife, or a man that stabs him so long as he did not die, but can never lift a finger to help a dying police man. In my life I have never had dealings with the police but it’s unfortunate the way this episode ended.  Because their actions are an embarrassment to Nigeria’s image, the first skill of every intelligent police officer is his understanding of psychology but instead they chose to do otherwise”

Read more here.

1. Chi

September 28, 2016 at 8:14 am

They behave like brainless and clueless idiots- no atom of reasoning

They should tell the person why they are under arrest and read them their rights – you had the right to a lawyer and to know where you were being taken , why and by whom.

What the police did doesn’t distinguish them from kidnappers and it also doesn’t distinguish them from retards who don’t use their brains.

Pele my brother

• ceetoo

September 28, 2016 at 9:01 am

But they are the kidnappers and even robbers, They are actually collaborators. I remember in the year 2002, I was robbed in the bus. The guys told me clearly he was a police man and he showed me his ID (fear did not allow me to look) , he asked me not to be afraid but to hand over my phone and all my money. He gave me N100 from my over N10k or so for transport home and they dropped us off. I dont know what was told to the others sef. Na today?

2. Sunshine

September 28, 2016 at 9:18 am

An absolute disgrace. And the worst part is they will never be called to order.

3. Tosin

September 28, 2016 at 10:36 am

Lawyers, over to you. Arrest procedure?

4. Afolake

September 28, 2016 at 11:45 am

Waoh! This still happens in Nigeria on a daily basis and its so sickening. My sister, a friend of mine and I were bundled into a yellow bus around Eric Moore Road in Surulere back in 2005 and just as Kalu described, they had no valid ID’s, no police uniform, no official patrol car/van and especially and the most scary part, the fact that they looked nothing like ‘law enforcement agents’!!! We were beaten black and blue for no reason, bundled into the waiting yellow van and kept receiving slaps all through the journey, only to be told after about half an hour or so that we were ‘wandering’…at 5.30pm while walking this friend who came to visit, to get a cab. Note that we were dressed in basic Jeans and T shirts. First they threw my friend out after driving for about 30 minutes in a gutter as she had her bag and was able to show them an ID card and much later my sister and I( definitely a miracle..). Its been 11 years but i still remember the whole episode like yesterday. I know there a lot of good guys in the Nigerian Police Force who genuinely want to serve(scratch that, maybe a few..) but there are more bad eggs who look for any opportunity to maim, oppress and harass the very people they swore to protect. When i see/get stopped by a Nigerian police officer…i know only a miracle can get me out, not my fundamental human rights nor my ability to quote them. May God Help my dear country Nigeria. #sorryfortheepistle #onejustneverforgets #stillhurts

• your sis

September 28, 2016 at 5:40 pm

afolake, how can i ever forget that episode? to think they hit me with their guns and dragged me on the floor into the bus ???? i peed in my panties like a little child!! we were thrown out of the moving bus when eventually i found my savings account id card that was used to identify us. smh

• Afolake

September 29, 2016 at 11:10 am

I teared up writing that you know…kai! Glad we’re both alive to tell the story…

5. Bimbo

September 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm

They drive around bundling and kidnapping people up and down so you can bail yourself out with N10,000. They are worse than armed robbers

6. angie

September 28, 2016 at 4:08 pm

i have always said, “men in uniform” in this country do not understand what their responsibilities are neither do they know the essence of wearing that uniform. it’s pathetic the Nigerian Police do not basically know their jobs except collect bribes, robbery and torture! i do not respect the Nigerian Police!

7. sharon

September 28, 2016 at 5:51 pm

It’s about time more of us younger people spoke out against this madness. How can a police officer in plain clothes really prove he’s an officer? Aley Giwa, please always confirm stories like this and report it. This is embarrassing to the whole police force. Bunch of criminals!! Even civil defense is better than the NPF. Most of them don’t understand the term fundamental human rights!!

8. concerned citizen

September 29, 2016 at 2:41 pm

My classmate’s dad (a very elderly man) was bundled into a police van somewhere in Gbagada on his way from church many years ago (another friend witnessed the episode cos we all go to the same church). Till date, her father is yet to be found. Disappeared without a trace. The fact that the kids get no closure is just horrible. Imagine hoping for many years that one day your dad will show up.

9. Evans

September 29, 2016 at 11:55 pm

I and my kid brother was picked up on our way from school by some police men some years back for no reason,Despite we were on Uniforms,we were taken to the station for(wondering) according to them.not ontill 5 long hours behind d counter with handcuffs that my dad came to bail us with 2k each before we were let loose.I tell you,till this very day I swore never in what so ever way to render any form of assistance to the Police..

10. Wande

September 30, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Police authority redeem your Image too bad