News

Two Men Nabbed with 700g of Cocaine in Lagos Airport

Chinedu and Okechukwu

Okonkwo Francis Okechukwu (L) and Ifedigbo Chinedu Lucky (R)

After evading arrest in Brazil and Morocco, two Nigerians have been arrested by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos for suspected drug trafficking.

The NDLEA Commander at the Lagos airport, Ahmadu Garba, gave the names of the suspects as Okonkwo Francis Okechukwu, 44, and Ifedigbo Chinedu Lucky, 37.

They tested positive for cocaine during the inward screening of passengers on a Royal Air Maroc flight from Sao Paulo, Brazil, through Casablanca, Morocco.

According to Garba, “Preliminary investigation revealed that both suspects planned and executed the unlawful act together. They inserted seven wraps of cocaine each into their bodies weighing 350 grammes.”

Wraps of Cocaine on Okechukwu

Wraps of Cocaine on Okechukwu

“I was stranded in Brazil, where I worked as a waiter in a restaurant for two years.

Life was awful as I was struggling daily just to feed myself. When I was contacted to smuggle cocaine to Nigeria, I was very happy because it was an opportunity to return home.

My sponsor also promised to pay me half a million Naira with which I had planned to start a business,” Okechukwu, who hails from Enugu state said after his arrest.

Lucky, an indigene of Anambra state, who had spent two years in Brazil said his arrest was due to ill-luck.

“I am a businessman. I import female shoes from Brazil since 2014. This arrest is just bad luck for me because I was already calculating my profit from the deal,” he said.

“NDLEA is committed to the fight against narcotic production and trafficking,

Brazil is a source country for cocaine and I am glad with the high level of vigilance on the route resulting in several arrests and seizures.

It is however sad that the suspects could insert narcotics into their alimentary canals in utter disregard of the health consequences. The suspects will be arraigned soon,” NDLEA Chairman, Colonel Muhammad Abdallah (Rtd) said.

Credit: Ben Ezeamalu/PREMIUM TIMES

1. Chidi

September 22, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I’m glad they arrested you guys, it’s never worth to engage in criminal activity, now your gonna spend the next 10 yrs in a Nigerian cell. Also never underestimate the NDLEA I have moved through that Lagos airport, they do a wonderful job. Congrats guys for keeping Nigeria safe.

2. curious much

September 22, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Just a curious question, how does the NDLEA catch these guys that ingest drug wraps? I’ve never seen or experienced anything that looks like a drug search or scan during my travels.

• Iris

September 22, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Lol maybe they do it manually…
      On a more serious note though, once they know you are coming in from Brazil they can pull you out of the line and that search gets real! You will not believe it is the same Nigeria.
      They evaded arrest in two countries and got caught in Nigeria. International news will not carry one. There was another time some guy got through security in Europe and they caught him with drugs in Lagos. When they were shading Nigeria and Ghana because that Mutallab idiot got past security I kept saying of course they won’t catch him. It is not what we are used to looking for. Nigerian customs officials appear to take drug trafficking seriously which is why they keep catching these geezers.

• Fufu

September 23, 2016 at 10:26 am

I’ve been told that most times, it’s not actually the Nigeria authorities that initially “find” these drugs, but rather the airport officials from wherever these people are coming from; and they in turn, alert the Nigerian officials. One may think they’ve been lucky and gone scot free, but their names have been flagged, to be arrested at the final destination.

3. Mystique

September 23, 2016 at 7:32 am

My desperate Igbo brothers again….. SMH

4. The Bull

September 23, 2016 at 8:57 am

They wanted to hammer so they can show of in the village this christmas.

5. nene

September 23, 2016 at 10:05 am

igbo people o. i know you want to make money so you can marry and take care of the family, but this is wrong. you people should stop being scape goats for drug pushers.