BN TV

“All You People who use Us to Make Money – God is Watching You” Berry Dakara shares Horror Stories & asks … to Get Aso Ebi or Not?

BN TV

to asoebi or not-berry dakaraBerry Dakara is back with a brand new vlog, this time, about aso ebi.

She met up with her cousin Rexie to get her view on the different aspects – Is it necessary? How much can it be?

They also share some horror stories –

One bride told Berry she had to buy the aso ebi for both traditional and white, even though Berry was only able to go to the white wedding.

The bride ended up removing the price of the aso ebi from the cost of the wedding cake Berry’s husband made and still sent her both fabrics. WOW.

Watch!

Photo Credit: BerryDakara.com

1. Nate

October 21, 2016 at 7:50 am

No one should force you into buying what you don’t want. I’ll return the aso ebi and collect the cake balance. no be by force.

2. Nancy

October 21, 2016 at 8:34 am

I hate bitter people. Did anybody force you to buy or go for the wedding?
    Abeg!!!! This is the 1000th post I am seeing about someone complaining.
    I’ve never bought any asoe-ebi in my life that is because I’ve only been at two weddings, I don’t really enjoy weddings. If someone is selling at a high price, stay away from their wedding and their food.
    You are here talking about people using you to make money. Your time dash everybody, that is your choice but allow others to do what they want.

• Destiny

October 21, 2016 at 9:27 am

Hi Nancy. I would not say they are bitter. they are basically expressing the displeasure at people using asoebi to make money from freinds/family.

Next time listen carefully, pause and think about what you want to comment before you go around responding by typing baseless ish.

Have a good one!!!

3. mia

October 21, 2016 at 8:36 am

I didn’t force anyone to buy asoebi when i was getting married, so why would you force me to buy yours? I guess it works for people who find it hard to say no, me i tell you know without guilt.

• Say no to aso ebi

October 21, 2016 at 9:12 am

I didn’t have aso ebi at my wedding cause i just don’t see the point.
      Plus it was a colorful event.

4. bkoks

October 21, 2016 at 8:39 am

LOL, they have not born the person that will force/guilt-trip me to buy aso-ebi sha (read this phrase in Yoruba for better understanding)

5. Marlvina

October 21, 2016 at 8:54 am

Look, this issue of Asoebi is very simple and that’s why I don’t see it as a big deal, dunno why people should knock their heads about it. It’s simple, if you have the money and can afford to buy all the asoebi’s for a particular wedding, and its in your heart to do so, pls kindly purchase all. Purchase for a friend too if you wish. If on the other hand, you feel the amount is ridiculously high and it would inconvenience you, pls politely reject the offer of buying the asoebi. Shekina! No one will throw you to jail cus you didn’t buy her asoebi during her wedding. Did they tell you to swear on ur ancestors grave to buy asoebi? Don’t you have a stand in life? Should you please people to displease yourself? SMH!

• Nnechi Spicy

October 21, 2016 at 11:13 am

Hi Marlvina
      What about pple that’ll go to d market nd get the same thing at a cheaper price? Is it wrong? Or since they’re not buying from them then we shouldn’t buy at all cos just like you stated it really is a simple matter. no one can guilt trip me into buying something (especially knowing that its purely business) I can’t afford and when it comes to MY money, shame no reach that side oh!

• Marlvina

October 21, 2016 at 3:07 pm

My dear it’s really not necessary to join the bandwagon in their uniform. Fine! if you can get it cheaper elsewhere and it’s in your heart to dress in tune with the party that’s totally okay. But no one should buy an asoebi material and still come out ranting and nagging about the money spent. It’s still a simple matter. If you wanna dress that way, do so freely. Let the decision be yours. It’s not compulsory! Its like if you don’t appear in asoebi, you’re not a friend of the couple. Nonsense!

• Fleur

October 21, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Eh hen! Tank yo! One friend was selling cheap ugly head ties for $30. The Ankara was $50. I thought we were getting classy stuff. Let me just say I did not wear the Ankara to the event. No style would have make it work. The gele should not have cost more than $5. It was floppy and flappy.

6. Iyke

October 21, 2016 at 9:23 am

Dakara’s cousin’s lips and teeth though…very dis

• iyke

October 21, 2016 at 9:41 am

Dakara’s cousin’s lips and teeth though…very distracting.
      I like big lips …..I hope she moisturises it.
      If you must Vlog and wish to be taken seriously, at least make an effort to dress well and look presentable.

• slice

October 21, 2016 at 11:36 am

I think she looks beautiful

• Iluna

October 21, 2016 at 12:38 pm

This comment is so unnecessary…. so rude!

• Nnechi Spicy.

October 21, 2016 at 12:42 pm

@Slice read and comprehend before commenting. What is wrong with what Iyke said? He complimented her! You pple and your inflated sense of ‘wrongness’. Victim mentality.

• MC

October 21, 2016 at 2:07 pm

@Nnechi maybe you should read the comment again.
      You could be the one lacking comprehension skills.

• Sisi

October 21, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Wow, what was the need and how exactly is she not dressed presentably? She’s gorgeous and actually quite hilarious – I enjoyed her perspective and like her accent. Take a seat Iyke and don’t be so mean

7. Me

October 21, 2016 at 9:56 am

I am not against aso ebi because it adds colour to an event but as the name really implies, it is meant for ebi which means relatives and that is my view. If we are family, I buy. Only members of my family do aso ebi at our events. We don’t even conceive the idea of selling to others talk more of profiting from them.

I think we all need a re-think of the objective.

• Marlvina

October 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I hope you know that there are still those grumpy relatives who do complain about buying the asoebi? Lol!

8. Tru

October 21, 2016 at 10:04 am

I no longer buy aso-ebi. Sue me.

9. Yummychickcummummy

October 21, 2016 at 10:58 am

[email protected] 1millons likes for u” It’s simple, if you have the money and can afford to buy all the asoebi’s for a particular wedding, and its in your heart to do so, pls kindly purchase all. Purchase for a friend too if you wish. If on the other hand, you feel the amount is ridiculously high and it would inconvenience you, pls politely reject the offer of buying the asoebi. Shekina! No one will throw ”
    Lemme add, I will rather wear to colour of the code that I have than being in debt for 5yrs wedding….
    M not a fan of aso ebi,

10. Koyo

October 21, 2016 at 11:57 am

Am I the only one that read the line that says “The bride took the balance from her husbands cake fee”. When that friend is not mad. Is it by force??? It is already annoying that the prices have become so ridiculous that no one presents gifts. Abeg Berry! No mind them

11. cookies

October 21, 2016 at 12:50 pm

The only thing ill ask is after publicly saying all this things about your so called friend and husband’s friend, are you guys still friends? Cos I’ll be damned if someone I call my friend publicly talks about me in this manner no matter how I act… as for the asoebi matter, I agree though, I’ve told myself if your aseobi is more than 10k I won’t buy, let’s be realistic here, why go get an overly expensive fabric for asoebi, knowing fully well that most times its gonna be worn once!! Do brides even realise that there are very fine daviva materials you can use and it’ll still look lovely?.. sometimes you have to be considerate when making this decisions, the worse is what I just heard in this video, do people really put money ontop the fabrics? I was shocked, I thot it would be sold the normal market rate, haba why would someone do that?!! Na wa sha o

12. cleo

October 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I have been called names(stingo, bad -belle; i am not married so i get the reason why, money miss road, enemy of progress) because i refused to buy asoebi from friends and i wear the names with pride. Better than buying a fabric i would be angry each time i see, or will wear once. What is the logic behind behind it sef when we are not even “ebi”(relatives).
    The lady that deducted the money from her cake fee, will not not go scot free if it were me. I will return the clothes and collect my money back. No time for nonsense ooo.

13. Babeweynosend

October 21, 2016 at 3:24 pm

This asoebi nonsense was the reason I fell out with a so called Yoruba gf. We were just students on allowance of 15k and she chose an asoebi of 8,500 . I politely suggested that she buys cheap Ankara for fellow students and give the lace to her ebi since we don’t earn so much and I’ll gladly buy the Ankara. That’s how she flared up and even went about telling classmates that I’m trying to get them to wear cheap Ankara so that only me will bask in the glory of wearing lace of #8,500 . From that day onwards, I decided not to buy anything called asoebi. If you want me to wear a uniformed attire to your wedding, you better buy it and give me as gift. If not, I wear what I have or wear the wedding colour. Full stop. To think that they’ll even treat you different at the reception if you don’t wear asoebi is another disturbing thing, more reason why it should be scrapped.

14. Ebun

October 21, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Won o ti bi eni naa!???

15. Mahka

October 21, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I didn’t buy Asoebi to a friend’s wedding;my ist real Yoruba wedding, the kind of tribalism I witnessed that day was new n astonishing. They refused me sitting on a particular table even when I arrived before them n then they were sharing food n gifts above my head. I had to go wish my friend well n found my way out.
    I guess it’s a thing here cos I felt odd, all the guests on same uniform, since then I choose wisely if I ‘ll attend or not.

16. damseldami

October 21, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Am yet to recover from the £60 asoebi yet the bride bought it in Nigeria. Can u imagine with gele is £80 oga o.

17. Freemind

October 21, 2016 at 10:49 pm

A secondary school friend of mine contacted me after 15 yrs and told me that since i am her special friend, she would want me to buy her asoebi which is 15k. Within me, i d already marked a limit of 5k for any asoebi , i declined. The long and short of this is , dis lady’s weddn gown didnt cost up to 7k yet she wants me to pay 15k for what???? I not a freak

• ATL's finest

November 3, 2016 at 2:55 am

???????lmao. High school mate for that matter, after 15 yrs too smh. U are a better one cuz if I haven’t spoken to U within 2-3yrs & my heart isn’t there with u like that, count me out lol.

18. Efemena

November 12, 2016 at 9:02 am

This esoebi thing is getting too serious these days , I politely say “No” but there are a very few exemptions.. And what most brides don’t know is that pple after buying an asoebi of more than 5k only attend your wedding to eat n drink their money , and no longer see the need to buy gift for the couple as the cost of the “asoebi” is assumed to be a gift to the couple. Asoebi should be only for the “ebis” and not a pass code to attending n enjoying a ceremony.