News

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is the New Face of Boots No7 Beauty Brand

chimamanda ngozi adichie bellanaija

On Tuesday, popular pharmacy chain in the UK and Ireland, Boots officially announced that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, brilliant writer and feminist icon, will be the new face of their No7 beauty brand.

Vogue reports that Chimamanda’s first campaign for the range will launch on Friday October 21, with print, online, and TV advertising – with Chimamanda speaking about how she used to fear being taken less seriously because of her love of make-up, but later came to embrace it as a tool, an enhancement and as part of her own identity.

Chimamanda’s TED talks have received millions of views across the world, she has three critically acclaimed novels under her belt and just days ago she contributed a “thank-you note” to US First Lady Michelle Obama for The New York Times T Magazine cover feature. This is a woman with influence.

Watch Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for Boots

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for Boots from Vogue Video on Vimeo.

In Vogue’s November 2016 Real Issue, in “The New Face Of Beauty: You”, she said of the campaign: “I think much of beauty advertising relies on a false premise – that women need to be treated in an infantile way, given a ‘fantasy’ to aspire to… Real women are already inspired by other real women, so perhaps beauty advertising needs to get on board.”

“I love make-up and its wonderful possibilities for temporary transformation. And I also love my face after I wash it all off,” she said. “There is something exquisitely enjoyable about seeing yourself with a self-made new look. And for me that look is deeply personal. It isn’t about what is in fashion or what the rules are supposed to be. It’s about what I like. What makes me want to smile when I look in the mirror. What makes me feel slightly better on a dull day. What makes me comfortable.”

Well done for Boots for choosing a face for No7 that’s so much more than just a face – she’s an inspiration, an icon, and a reminder that being intellectual and loving makeup are not mutually exclusive.

Source: Vogue, Metro

1. Natu

October 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Beauty and brains!!! We need more women like you in Africa!!! #Feminist

2. mgtss.blogspot.com

October 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Yoooo! She loves makeup, and she is married and she has a child.
    There are those who would be elated to hear her say she hates makeup and men and maybe also children, so she can perfectly fit into the role of ‘sexless’ frustrated dried out ‘feminist’ they love they hate, sorry hunnies, this right here is a well-rounded woman, who just happens to give deep thought to things the average person accepts as NORMAL.
    Go Chimamanda! You are a beautiful woman blessed with high intelligence.

• bodunade

October 19, 2016 at 12:35 pm

One school of thought .Thats all

• Engoz

October 19, 2016 at 1:21 pm

You’ve said it all. These people you talk about have a single narrative what a female should look and sound like…a single narrative what marriage should look like. They still can’t wrap their head how women who unabashedly say their minds can still have boyfriends and be married. Lmao. Silly things!

• Josephine

October 22, 2016 at 8:12 am

so true. —– women can have it all. it is not a competition with men…when many women know their worth,” this bad-tasting idea of feminism” as some people may define it will end….women know your worth and everyone around you will respect that

3. bodunade

October 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I luff my new socks.

4. Nne

October 19, 2016 at 12:45 pm

All round Woman… A woman can be all she wants…#iNSPIRED

5. bruno

October 19, 2016 at 1:48 pm

chimaamanda enjoying her fame. front row fashion shows to endorsement deals. I hope u dont water down ur brand.

pls its not everything they offer u that u will say yes to. I’m just saying. im happy for u and this is a welcome development but pls be selective with projects and companies u attach urself to.

look at adele they offer her all sorts of things from being the face of cosmetic brands to dating websites but she turns them down. even beyonce sef.
    and pls when are u releasing another book?

• Ene

October 19, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Bruno! Yaay! Where have you been?

• glow

October 19, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Bruno I missed your comments here…good to have you back!

6. DatEnuguChic

October 19, 2016 at 1:53 pm

@bruno biko mechie onu gi anumanu!

7. yesisaidit

October 19, 2016 at 2:07 pm

@Bruno 100%

8. niyoola

October 19, 2016 at 3:21 pm

This photo of her looks drab.

9. BA

October 19, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Good on CNA; But one wonders why she went for this cliché Africa look for the video.

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 19, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I don’t know what they did to that photo… Or maybe it’s the makeup… But it looks almost nothing like the Chimamanda I’m used to seeing.

11. kina

October 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm

So what was it about beyonce love for makeup and dressing up or down, that she didnt like. She really does contract herself. I just cant keep up with her.

• mgtss.blogspot.com

October 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Ehen, they have come, give me a quote, paste a link to an article where she said anything negative about Beyonce’s make-up or dressing.
      Why is comprehension so difficult???

• kina

October 19, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I dont know but it felt like she suggested that beyonces motive for looking the way she did wasnt to please herself but to somehow solicite the approval of men folk. So i dont understand ?comprend how she says her makeup is for a far more superior motive. I just dont get it. But then Again i dont speak two face or comprehend its ?logic.

12. Me

October 19, 2016 at 5:35 pm

It’s now poetry and makeup and no longer using sex as a tool to sell makeup. From research, some Africans love using Mac products as their make up staples, and they could spend a fortune on it, so how could Boots capitalise on this? By having our very own Chimamanda Adichie to front their latest campaign. Let’s hope the marketing psychology works.

13. nnenne

October 19, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Lovely

14. Ngbabe

October 19, 2016 at 11:19 pm

And this is a celebrity. There are still yeyebrities all over the place. Kudos Chimamanda Ngozi !

15. Chinwe

October 20, 2016 at 7:13 am

Sorry this woman is commercially driven all that feminist Africana war crys are just hot air. Boots have no decent makeup for dark women. Women of colour still have to pay extra to get the correct shades. Thandie Newton was approached for the same advert couple of years ago and she slammed boots. That’s what a strong African woman does. Than die doesn’t walk about preaching feminism and all that jazz she lives it. This woman is a typical Nigerian woman anything for money. First you allow someone you feel preaches inferior feminism use your brand for a fee and then here you are advertising for boots who do not cater for women of your shade. In fact looking at the advert I wouldn’t touch whatever shit boots have put on your face it looks gross on you. That just goes to show they are not use to catering for the needs of black women.

16. Akpeno

October 20, 2016 at 4:40 pm

CHIAMANDA!!!! My dear you’re doing great!

They say if you do not have people being envious of you(AKA HATERS) Then you’re not doing well.

Ride on my dear keep being you and continue to RISE!

• Webber

October 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

chiamanda is a hater too. So she in good company here

17. gozie

October 24, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Which culture made us to hate makeup et al as she stated when the video started? I’m not aware of such culture o, please someone should teach me

• gozie

October 24, 2016 at 5:12 pm

actually she said something along the line of appearance but I found something else on BBC regarding Chimamanda herself.

“I was raised to care about my appearance but when I went to the US I internalised the idea that if a woman wants to be taken seriously, she can’t seem to care too much about her appearance.” .. copied from BBC

18. nnenne