Features

Akpo Uyeh: Don’t Be Disgusting! Ditch that Bad Habit

dreamstime_m_38496235Habits are easy to form. They could also be hard to drop.Just as there are good habits, there are also bad habits. Research indicates that it takes virtually 21 days to form a new habit.  Taking time to discuss some bad habits that could be appalling.  I won’t act like I’m an etiquette champion but I am sure everyone can relate to what I am trying to point out.

I cannot remember where I saw the inscription ” Use these toilet the way you want your life to be“. In other words, if you use the toilet well, then one’s life will be well and vice versa. It has not reached that level but some people do not know how to make use of the toilet. It is not nice making the toilet a mess. Sometimes, it can not be helped particularly if there is no water. No matter what it would be better to behave like  someone civilised, abi? At another toilet, there was the inscription ”leave the toilet better than you met it”. Makes sense, doesn’t it? I belong to the class of people that would never mess up a toilet unless the situation is terribly critical like lack of water. One of my values is to act civilised. One of my lecturers says: there is a difference between being educated and having an education. I choose the former.

I have one bad habit. You can hardly watch T.V with me because I am always flipping the channels. I rarely watch a station, I would rather watch all stations that    appeal to me at a go than stayed glued to one. That way I get a bit of all stations. It is not a good habit particularly, when I’m watching T.V in the company of others. To correct this anomaly, make sure I am not with the remote control.

I know of a couple that they fart amongst themselves. While some see it as a sign of openness and developing trust, others see as lack of proper etiquette. If you ask me, I think the proper thing to do would be to excuse yourself and fart away –  somewhere in the toilet.

As a strong advocate for keep Lagos clean, I do not think it is a good idea to throw things out of a bus. Just after Berger bridge, when entering Lagos, is a big billboard that poses deep questions particularly to the educated. I used to throw things out the windows of the buses; but I don’t anymore. I would rather leave it  in the bus or take it home and throw away than do otherwise. Being a strong environmentalist doesn’t come with price tag.

One day at the library, I was hoping to sit in a place that was devoid of distractions. Thankfully, I got one only for someone else to come around. After much thought, I realised that I was not the owner of the seat, but what made me uncomfortable was the guy’s perfume. I literally endured all the way  until I could not anymore. Had to ”take to my heels” and move to another seat. Some perfumes could cause allergies. It is unfair to spray perfumes ”indiscriminately” to unsuspecting victims. I think perfumes should be mild and ”nose-friendly”.

How about guys who scratch their groin in public? Or is it ladies picking their panties in the public glare? This set of people do not have conscience. Why on earth would you be doing that in public? I know someone whom after every meal, belches. According to him, ”Belching is a sign of good living”. This actually went on until at a social gathering he belched unconsciously and that became his turning point. It was bye bye to belching and welcome to the new me for him.

As kids,  I didn’t see anything wrong with removing phlegm from ones throat. However, adults that do this and make all the annoying sounds should get a grip. Removing phlegm reminds me of that Missy Elliot’s video ‘get your freak n’ when she actually removed phlegm and spat it out. As disgusting as it is, there are people who do it mindlessly.

I used to drag my slippers while walking and people had issues with it. After much confrontations, I had to adjust. Don’t we love spending our hard earned money? There are people who once they get paid they go on shopping spree (myself inclusive).

We all know that it should not be  the leftover that we should end up saving, lest one becomes indebted. Financial intelligence is not only about wealth accumulation. It is also virtually about self-discipline.  I won’t  pretend that I have good habits, but I know I am working on my bad habits and I think everyone should too. Bad habits can be corrected with discipline.

What are does habits you find appalling?

Photo Credit: Atholpady | Dreamstime.com

1. Wasiu

November 7, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Funny as hell. only shows we all human. I’m very guilty of burping loud after being inspired by The Klumps and my very uppity British wife smacked the shit outta the upside of my head when I did it in front of her friends

• TeeS

November 7, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I hate when people chew loudly. Omg. Especially with their mouths open. Eeekkkkkkk
      Guys stop adjusting your thingy every 10 minutes. You’ve had it for years you should be able to know where the comfort level of the thingy is.
      New social issues I can’t stand is people who wanna snap chat or Instagram every freaking thing. Like , chill . Give some people a break and surprise them on social media every now and then.
      I on the other hand , I’ve got allergies so I snort every morning from the time I wake up till the allergies go away and at night. I noticed people hate the hell out of it. But it’s not my fault tho. Lol

2. T

November 7, 2016 at 6:45 pm

The one you mentioned about the phlegm? I know someone that does it regularly and it’s soooo disgusting,my goodness!!!,the way he would drag it as if his life depended on it,so irritating, I had to tell him one day but he obviously didn’t see anything wrong with it.
    My own bad habit is ‘discussing almost every scene in a movie,my sisters complain all the time,lol

3. awkward

November 7, 2016 at 7:17 pm

The phlegm situation is unfair.
    He 100% has bronchietasis which you should google.
    It can happen to anybody and its disgusting to be within earshot of.

I farted in my sleep & my boyfriend told me i also snore.

4. Dona

November 7, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I don’t understand the farting amongst couples,siblings or even friends. Why would you want someone to inhale that nasty smell? Why? One bad habit that irks me is when people talk with food in their mouth. Just having full blown conversations with all that chewed food in everyone’s face. No gist is ever that serious.

My bad habit is using a straw to suck up the very last of a drink till the straw makes that loud embarrassing noise.

5. Observer

November 7, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Picking of noses is a national epidemic in Nigeria. I see a lot of people do it without even flinching even when given looks of disgust. I have seen it being done at meetings, parties, during conversations etc.. The worse bit is when they now flick the goey stuff into the air. God help somebody if that thing ever lands on me!

• Toes

November 7, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Lol…I actually did laugh out loud. Hehe. Like what you gonna do? Smack away like some hurt/cheated penguin?

Author this last sentence needs revising : What are does habits you find appalling?

• Akpo Uyeh

November 7, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Yep…… Error, my bad
      I meant what are those habits you find appalling? Thanks

• MadamYe

November 8, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Sorry ma, That is still incorrect. It is ‘what are the habits that you find appalling?’

6. Yvy

November 7, 2016 at 9:34 pm

People should learn to yawn with their mouth closed. Ain’t nobody interested in seeing your teeth and tongue. It irritates the hell out of me. Let’s not talk about those with bad mouth odour who do it. Ewwwww

• Fille

November 8, 2016 at 11:35 am

More like, “”…with their mouths covered”.

7. Spunky

November 7, 2016 at 9:48 pm

If you wan gimme race, chew your fingers in my presence(with relish). Also, my colleague is in the habit of tasting my lunch using my cutlery( one day I go spit thick phlegm inside). As for me bah, I derive pleasure in using my finger nails to cut my toe nails…Emmmmm, I then chew on it. I sound disgusting right now.lol

• ReeRee

November 8, 2016 at 12:37 pm

OMG! i do that too!!! and I have really long toe nails.

8. Flexe

November 7, 2016 at 10:57 pm

What about those that touch you right after they finish picking their nose. *SHUDDERS*

9. beauty

November 8, 2016 at 8:29 am

First of all, how is it possible for this model on the picture to have the pose for different topics? Shes’s been used for several posts and her pose and body language is always in sync with the write up! Secondly the bad habit i dislike is having a terrible mouth odour especially in the morning. A colleague of mine usually has this terrible mouth odour and body odour quite early in the morning, i wonder if he doesn’t have a bath! Also, another colleague of mine, a female, always gets to work on Mondays looking like a hot mess from head to toe. What happened to resting and getting her act together during the weekends? I always wonder!

10. EbonyFre

November 8, 2016 at 9:08 am

The TV one is so me. Haha
    Like how do you know what you are missing out on if you don’t check them all out (doesn’t/shouldn’t apply to humans though).
    Missy Elliot’s video was even more irritating because she did not only remove the phlegm and spit it out like you said, she actually spat it into someone else’s mouth. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

11. geez

November 8, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I think it is only fair and appropriate to regard the next person before doing something. i personally always keep in mind the convenience of the next person before doing something.
    One of the most infuriating experiences is someone coming to sit by u in a public transport so sweaty and having total disregard for personal space. each one pays for a seat so i think it is only fair to keep to your own side of the space.
    another has to do with people who have no regard for sanitation. Mehn i think we will all be doing ourselves a big favor by trying to keep our environs clean. someone already mention this please keep the plastics in the vehicle or better still wait till u get a bin.
    The same goes for keeping our lavatories clean for the next person to use. One thing worthy of note- managing running water and tissue paper in our public toilets. many are those who boast of being ladies or gents so, i say let our actions do the talking!