News

Nigeria’s Olympic Sprinter Divine Oduduru admitted to Texas Tech University on Scholarship!

Nigeria’s Olympic sprinter, Divine Oduduru is reportedly on scholarship at Texas Tech University (TTU).

A Twitter user @adakumusic shared this on Tuesday on Twitter.

divine-oduduru

Congratulations Divine!

1. Taiwo

November 16, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Yaaay!!

2. Nuna

November 16, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Nigeria needs to get her shit together. Trust me this is the end of this guy competing for Nigeria. He is now Nigerian- American.

• ATL's finest

November 16, 2016 at 6:10 pm

@ Nuna Exactly!!! u know they ain’t letting him GO… Texas A& M is also go & if he ever transfers there, their football team won’t want him to run tracks no more ????…

3. Oloye

November 16, 2016 at 3:49 pm

We did ‘experret’ this???? 🙂

Very happy for him..

4. iWantBellaNaijaToWIN

November 16, 2016 at 3:50 pm

BellaNaija – this is poor journalism. your blog is better than reporting “them say”, what stops yall from getting the direct exclusive from the Texas Tech Track & Field director’s office??
    Uche Pedro you really need to re-assess these half baked writers and editors biko….your blog is better than these “according to a twitter user…” smh!!

also, Mr Editor, Adaku is not just a twitter user, she is an IVY league trained musician that has been featured on this blog numerous times. She has shared the stage with Angelique kidjo, dianne reeves, Asa, etc…..if it were some no-name like Karueche Tran, you will highlight her talentless titles oh….

5. goOduduru

November 16, 2016 at 3:55 pm

That’s our broda.
    Way to go. It can only get berra And berra

6. Anonymous

November 16, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Guns up!!!!

7. Curious

November 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Such fantastic news! Really stoked for him. Well done!

8. Tru

November 16, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Oh wow, ham sure he never hespperrit ?

• Manny

November 16, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Does it make you feel better to repeatedly bring up his accent ?

• nene

November 16, 2016 at 9:05 pm

chill

9. Mr. Egghead

November 16, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Wow! I’m so happy for this guy. First bright spot in a terrible year for Nigeria

• Manny

November 16, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I’m very happy for him too.

10. Marlvina

November 16, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Awwww! ? I’m happy for him. His talent and his memes finally paid off. That’s God’s favour surfacing despite all odds.

11. Delta geh

November 16, 2016 at 5:02 pm

When he said he ‘have black man blood’ in him you people were laughing. You see it? Now he is going to die on the line. Not literally die oo lol. He will slay all his races by God’s grace. It goes to show his resilience and I have no doubt he’ll work very hard. I’m very happy he’ll get adequate training.

12. owl

November 16, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Let all the people running from Trump come back home.
    There are millions of nigerians waiting to take their place in america.

• Anon

November 16, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Shut up abeg who is running from Trump or isn’t it bitter Nigerians making bitter jokes about those in diaspora returning. I’m happy for him and I hope all the talented Nigerian athletes get scouted by foreign competitors so our ministry of sport will be openly shamed some more

• ATL's finest

November 16, 2016 at 6:12 pm

@ Anon ??? God bless U. Like as if 1N will ever be bigger than $1 smh. Even Woke Soyinka changed his mind let a lot regular folks ??. Congrats to the guy.

13. Not for glass beads, colourful cloth, rusty muskets, damp gunpowder and gin.

November 16, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Already they have changed his name. Slave days are over and they DON’T get to name him.his name is his identity and NO ONE gets to give him his identity, no one gets to decide and say, tell you who you are, except God and you. If it is his Nigerian name, they will massacre it and turn it to caricature and claim it is too long, too difficult, too unfamiliar, and give him a totally unconnected,, bland and meaningless name of their own choosing. Now, he uses his given middle name: Divine, but no, even that they must change and name him for themselves to show ownership, and/or that they cannot stand anything that reminds or speaks of God. Or, will anyone say that in that English-speaking country, they cannot see and spell Divine well?

His name is DIVINE. Not DEVINE.

I heard Sunny Neji sing a song a few years back, and I’ve never forgotten it; don’t remember the the tune and the exact lyrics but I remember the chorus and song title line completely i.e.””Sunny no be Bingo.”” The song says (paraphrased): Yes, when I came to Lagos, you housed me, you fed me, you clothed me, you blah blah blah blah blah, thank you BUT Sunny no be Bingo”” (Bingo, for non-Nigerian readers, the name given to mongrel street dogs often belonging to no one and available to belong to anyone who’ll give them a steady supply of food, etc).

The lyrics said you did so much, may be even everything for me but you don’t own me; I don’t have to jump when you whistle, you don’t get to dictate and run my life, you don’t get to run me, I’m not your thing, you don’t own me.

One principle I’ve found to be very wise in my own life is: Start as you mean to go on.

Your foundation, the foundation of anything you do, is extremely, even completely important.

• Mohammad

November 17, 2016 at 4:11 am

Bros abeg chill.

14. Niola

November 16, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Shame and Nigerian politicians don’t go together …too many examples but i am guessing you already know. Disgrace them today and tomorrow they are contesting for presidency or attending one big man’s daughters wedding as chairman or whatever