News

Isaac Newton’s “Living In Gidi” Is So Realistic, it Might Steal Your Phone! #LiterallyWhatsHot

OkadaBooks

This is Isaac Newton and no he did not discover Gravity, but he did write this awesome, beautiful and funny book titled “Living In Gidi.”

It was the year 2008 and I was going back to school after a 6 month break imposed on us by the constant ASUU strikes. I, alongside my neighbor and friend, Dupe, decided to take our usual school shopping to Oshodi.

I took a small purse and kept my phone … a flip Nokia phone and all my shopping money in it and placed all of them in a big BagCo sack.

After hours of shopping, it was time to pay for yet another cheap leather bag Oshodi had blessed me with, so I rummaged through my sack for my purse. At first, I thought that my purse was hidden beneath my numerous purchases.

So I sat down at the bag seller’s stall and patiently looked for it, removing every single item from the sack. It wasn’t until I a saw large, razor torn hole by the side of my sack, that I realized what happened. My phone had been kidnapped!

In Isaac Newton Akah’s Living In Gidi, there are far worse tales than mine.

All humorously relatable because even if it hadn’t happened to you, it has happened to a friend, or a friend’s sister, or a relative. Maybe you even saw it happen with your koro-koro eyes and went home to regale your family about the wonders that never end in Lagos.

Isaac Newton (not to be confused with the man that discovered Gravity) Akah tells the real situation of what living in Lagos is like and enhances his stories with very colorful pictures of the real Gidi.

Not the Gidi that we now see in new Nollywood flicks with urban roads, posh houses, quiet neighborhoods and that freaking Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge! But the one that 80.789% percent of us grew up in and still live in.

In Isaac’s Living In Gidi, you can’t afford to be sluggish, a stranger cannot touch you and you accept their sorry just like that. Man, check your pockets to see if your wallets and phones are still intact. And then check your privates. Yes, your balls, penis and even vagina because this is Lagos! Are you a learner?! You will even find yourself subconsciously doing this as you read Isaac’s book, it’s that realistic and that good!

Isaac Newton Akah, with apt similes and an impeccable use of wit and humor, takes us all on an eye-opening journey in Lagos living with just 74 pages and dozens of beautiful pictures of Lagos. You will laugh and you will laugh again and again, and each episode will remind you of a long forgotten experience in the bubbling city of Lagos.

Isaac’s Living In Gidi is literally the bible of Gidi!

It opens your eyes and with it, you will learn how to shine it. You will also learn that between all the hassles and bustles that Lagos living brings with it, you will find the most beautiful friendships, the most gorgeous girls on earth, and you will realize that if you can survive in Lagos, you can survive in anywhere else!

Interested in discovering the real Lagos on your phone … without actually losing your phone? Then start reading Living In Gidi today on your mobile device via the okadabooks.com free app available here.

Hurry before police arrest you.

IMG-20160205-WA0005Nimide Ogbeun is a book addict lover, an unrepentant coke addict and a hopeless romantic. When she’s not trying to expand her shoe closet or dreaming up the perfect getaway, she works as the Assistant Editor of StyleVitae.
See her crazy pictures on Instagram
Email her at [email protected]

1. Bleed Blue

December 20, 2016 at 12:08 pm

“…and that freaking Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge!” Hahahahaha!!!

I tell you ehn…that bridge, beautiful as it may be for Lagos, has been photographed and filmed over and over again to within an inch of its life. I think the only decent Nigerian movie I saw in 2016 that didn’t feature the bridge was ’76.

I love my Lagos. I want to read this book.

2. Blessing Awulotu Felix

December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Isaac found a way to make everyone living outside Lagos have a feel of Lagos.
    Living in gidi….medicine for the depressed. Makes anyone’s day, anytime and any day.
    I’ll read it over and over and over and over….never a dull moment with those well scripted gidi experiences.

3. Mira Okpala

December 20, 2016 at 12:55 pm

If you can survive the streets of Lagos, nothing in the world can take your sanity. Great work Isaac Newton Akah.

4. Temitayo

December 20, 2016 at 1:13 pm

If you haven’t lived in Las-Gidi (awa own Vegas) mhen you haven’t lived at all…lool

I have read “Living In Gidi” and it’s an awesome book that “gists” you about the day to day activities that goes on in the only state with several names (Lag, Gidi, eko, lasgidi, Lagos etc), It’s that kinda book you read over and over again and never bores you out!
    I cant tell it all, you should go get yours!

5. Charles

December 20, 2016 at 1:40 pm

6. Ab

December 20, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Beautiful review Nimi. Yes! Living in Gidi is all you’ve stated here and more, make sure you don’t really it while cooking, cos your food will definitely burn. From the first episode to the last you can’t just drop your phone.
    Thanks INA for giving us something to smile about this austere period we’re in..

7. Omoyele

December 20, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Isaac gave me back my harsh reality in a sarcastic and humorous way. Even with Gidi’s odds, we’ll remain loyal to our Gidi.

8. Otih Goodness

December 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Isaac is a great guy.

Living in Gidi is also a great work.

keep it up Sweetness?

9. Omolara

December 20, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Hahahahahahah. I just kept laughing because I’ve read the book and it is everything and more. INA (that’s an ancronymn for Isaac Newton Akah) tells it justbas it is. In Lagos, you don’t look Uche’s face, you don’t dull and if you haven’t experienced the three elements of life, you are still a learner!

10. E-bae

December 20, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Newton brings to the table his vast knowledge of Lagos and her wahala in a collection of stories that resonates the real Lagos. He expertly weaved everyday Gidi situations with dots of humor, anecdotes that makes living in gidi bearable and to be experienced despite the odds. INA is a great story teller and *living in gidi* is a fantastic book.

11. Agboola yusuf

December 20, 2016 at 5:56 pm

“Real title should be a survival guide to Lagos, it’s that good, a bible for stepping out on the streets of Gidi” You read my mind.

12. Wole

December 20, 2016 at 6:27 pm

There are things you would be remiss to do in certain situations: in public for instance, even if your natural impulse has to be repressed for the moment. Often, the reaction comes later. In Living in Gidi, Isaac won’t make you wait to start ROTFL, you would be on the floor in no time. And long after, you’d still be reeling retrospectively and without restraint at these cathartic moments contained in the book. Walahi, Gidi sometimes feel like a nuthouse, enlivened with the most interesting of characters. Reading Isaac’s Living in Gidi gives you an uncensored access to the craziest, funniest, most notorious everyday experiences that Lagos doles out in spurts. Isaac captured these tidings in a frame of personal experiences laced with wit and hilarity. This is the book that will make you remember that long forgotten experience, maybe sad at the time with a kindling of laughter that you couldn’t afford at the time. Isaac has the eyes for observation and the light touch to deliver, This book is so Gidi it tickles. And now you can allow the tickle in your belly pop, and laugh as loud as you want from the experiences Isaac brilliantly captured. I assure you, it would be worth your while.

13. JONATHAN OLADEJI

December 21, 2016 at 1:31 am

I love the concept already, this should be every traveller’s guide. Some of us are not used to this Bumble-tumble life at all, “Living in Gidi” is a beacon of hope for those who don’t plan to get Lost in Lagos. Today I decided to brave the streets, I thought it would be a jolly ride round town, it was like running through blazing desert storm and getting so many sights that distract you from your discomfort. I will not come to Lagos again without a reread of “Living in Gidi”.

14. Pope

December 21, 2016 at 2:09 am

Living in Gidi is an absolute delight, capturing not just what living in Lagos entails but spicing the reading experience with an ample dose of wit and humor. I can relate to the stories, because I have experienced Lagos, firsthand. This book is more than a fun piece, it is some kinda mini guide for coding yourself to survive Lagos. You gidi up hommie, or get served!

15. Karo's Story Blog

December 21, 2016 at 8:57 am

Wow! See comments. It seems everyone has read it except me. Where have I been?

16. Peter Paul Oko

December 25, 2016 at 11:07 am

Living in Gidi as written by Isaac Nëwtøn is Lagos as a whole gathered together in an e-book. I bet you, if you have been to Lagos before or you’re still living in Lagos, you must have experienced at least a handful, if not all the experiences share in this wonderful piece of humour-filled book. If you have never been to Lagos, yet you look forward to being there, take this book as a guide.
    Mind you, the experience in Lagos is not always funny ? but Isaac Nëwtøn has His ways with humour which He magically put together to make us laugh out loud. But if eventually you experience any of these, your mind will flash back to the book LIVING IN GIDI, then you cant help but laugh out louder.

17. Chiamaka

December 28, 2016 at 12:55 pm

This is an excellent review. Haven’t read the book but I have to get it now!