Scoop

The Issue of Copying in Fashion – Siblings to Designers Sike Saro & Ada Osakwe discuss Lisa Folawiyo & Maki Oh’s Design Similarities

BellaNaija Style

bn-living-twins_-lisa-folawiyo-and-maki-oh_1_bellanaija

Yesterday, Style Vitae posted this photo of a piece from Lisa Folawiyo‘s SS17 collection against another piece from Maki Oh‘s Fall16 collection on Instagram with the caption below:

StyleVitae: @lisafolawiyo_studio SS17 X @maki.oh Fall 16’….Creative Inspiration or Creative coincidence… Or more….#fashion #stylevitae #buynigerian #designers #design #style

Although there were a few commenters who said things like;

kingdukeee: More Creative Inspiration…? . It’s a whole season apart.

nolstnme: Wanna be starting something ??

…The main comments on the post were from sibling of both designers, Ada Osakwe who is Maki Oh designer Amaka Osakwe‘s sister and Sike Saro who is Lisa Folawiyo’s sister and the business brains behind the brand.

Read their comments below

AdaOsakwe: Glad folks finally calling this out @maki.oh

SikeSaro: @adaosakwe I am so surprised you would comment on this, especially in such a manner. This was just brought to my attention especially as we know each other, went to school together and have been friendly since then. As a team we have the most respect for your sister @maki.oh and think of her as an extremely talented designer and would never even dream of suggesting such a thing.

We have never felt the need to defend this collection as it had been done over a year ago but only chosen for release this season. We laughed it off as ‘great minds think alike!’ As an extremely educated lady why would you come on IG and try to imply what is being instigated here? It’s not done. It’s beneath you. I expected more.

AdaOsakwe: Hi @sikesaro. Please dont get agitated or upset with me. I didn’t attack @lisafolawiyo_studio. I only noted that I’m glad Nigerians, especially fashion influencers like @stylevitae, are finally being bold enough to call out what I have observed as an industry-wide issue over the years. Season after season, I see way too many similarities in the collections of our small crop of designers and to me as an industry observer, this demonstrates a lack of creativity and innovation, which shouldn’t be the case in a place with such talent.

Even Vogue magazine highlighted this issue following the last fashion week in Lagos. I saw @stylevitae also put up another post of a @lisafolawiyo_studio SS15 design with arrow prints that another designer got “inspired” by for their SS17 collection too. Maybe I should have commented on that as well. I’m sure your team noticed this too and @lisafolawiyo was not happy about this, like she wasn’t about Tiffany Amber or Burberry in the past.

So it’s clear to me that there is a level of designers block or comatose that induces folks to freely get “inspired” by their peers. In any case, I am glad that this conversation has finally begun and I sincerely hope it continues because be it “creative inspiration” or “creative coincidence” as @stylevitae says, or “great minds think alike” as you put it, it is a phenomenon that’s occuring and that I feel should be STOPPED if Nigeria’s fashion industry is to truly evolve to global proportions and for its designers and the industry as a whole to get the global respect and recognition they deserve. @maki.oh @lfdw_ng

SikeSaro: Lol. No, your earlier comment did not agitate, it surprised is all. And I too am in agreement with you @adaosakwe perhaps you should have commented on that earlier post as well. Then it all would have been less ‘surprising’.

At this juncture, what is most important is that it be acknowledged that in no way has @lisafolawiyo_studio copied or been ‘inspired’ by any other designer’s work including @maki.oh. This would be our worst nightmare. I will reiterate the fact that although released as SS17 recently, this collection was already designed a couple of months before Maki Oh’s AW16 was released. And finally, @lisafolawiyo_studio will not use IG as a platform to call out or comment or begin a conversation on other designers’ work. To us, doing so is in such poor taste.

SikeSaro: @adaosakwe and on that note I think it’s best we both end this conversation here.

AdaOsakwe: @sikesaro it’s interesting that you say it’s in “poor taste”, because @lisafolawiyo commented and liked @stylevitae’s earlier ‘inspiration comparison’ on @Nuraniyastudios that was in @lisafolawiyo_studio’s favour and she also used social media (twitter) to illustrate her thoughts on when she felt Tiffany Amber and Burberry copied her a few years ago. Were her posts also in “poor taste”?

I, like Lisa, believe social media, blogs etc are powerful tools to be used for topics such as this. But I agree, we can end this here, as again, I firmly believe this conversation is bigger than just this one post about Lisa Folawiyo and Maki Oh, or Lisa Folawiyo and Nuraniya Studios. Bottomline, I’m glad the conversation has now begun. Thank you @stylevitae !!!

0lukayode: Okay!

See the Photo of the Lisa Folawiyo & Nuraniya “Arrow” Pieces Below

_-lisa-folawiyo-nuraniya-bellanaija_1_bellanaija

What are your thoughts on this industry hot topic, copying?

Is it a trends thing, an issue of great minds thinking alike or a case of recycled fashion? Is there anything in fashion that hasn’t already been done?

Source: Style Vitae

1. Oyin

December 15, 2016 at 2:32 pm

At the end of the day, the common Nigerian like me cannot afford these designs so why bother my head? NEXT!

• word

December 15, 2016 at 2:43 pm

God bless u, Oyin. Buy Naija! Buy Naija!! But Naija will not make itself buyable. But errrhmmm Lisa’s team, the similarities in these designs….e get as e be.

• AfroQueen

December 15, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I am AfroQueen, the fashion enthusiast who called out Andrea Iyamah’s blatant copying of DelPozo (see the comments on the article: https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/10/heineken-lagos-fashion-design-week-2016-day-3-andrea-iyamah/).

I saw Lanre DaSilva Ajayi’s copying of DelPozo’s circle-pleat skirt too, but I couldn’t be bothered to research which year/collection it was. Nigerians didn’t really know DelPozo until I mentioned it in the comments, now Style Vitae has hopped on the bandwagon like they built it. It would have been nice to mention that they realized this after reading ‘a comment on Bella Naija.’ I will bet that was how this came to their attention.

I don’t want to shade any designer, but the blatant copying is too much. On that note, I can expose another one: Maki Oh (plastic beads on dress shown above and others) and the Proenza Schouler Fall/Winter 2015 collection: vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2015-ready-to-wear/proenza-schouler/slideshow/collection#39 and vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2015-ready-to-wear/proenza-schouler/slideshow/collection#43. Please, you Nigerian designers are LAZY. At least don’t choose the most defining elements of an international designer’s oeuvre to copy.

I just happen to love fashion history, and to pore through collection pictures. Regular Nigerians know Dior or Prada, I like the weirdo designers like DelPozo and Proenza.

On another note, thank goodness that Valentino-copying nightmare called Weizdhurm Franklin has all but disappeared from the fashion week calendar. When they don’t take your fashion industry seriously now, you will start complaining. Give you a chance, and it’s to be doing blind copy.

• AfroQueen

December 15, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Actually, thiss one might show it best: vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2015-ready-to-wear/proenza-schouler/slideshow/collection#42

I mean the black plastic circle on bigger white plastic circle inspiration/copy that seems like innovation from Maki Oh but is unfortunately a close copy from Proenza Schouler’s work from three or four seasons ago.

• Tea-nisha

December 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

AfroQueen is reaching. BIG REACH

• wellness

December 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm

If you asked someone who did not know the work of either designers, they would assume the Lisa Folawiyo dress was part of Maki Oh’s Collection as a result they are too alike.

Similarity: Length, Shape, beading, the shoulder details both have three fabric strip, the neckline, the depth of the neck line,

In my opinion The Nuraniya/ Lisa Folawiyo design is more a case of inspiration, the only similarity is the arrows. Remove the arrow and the garments will look nothing alike.

Fashion copyright is tricky, at one point in time everybody copies someone. Be it you copy/ are inspired by the shape, colour, embellishment or fabrication, there are few truly original designers.
      @ Oyin, sorry I piggybacked on your comment.

2. Anon

December 15, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Ada Osakwe 1 versus Sike Saro 0! Being defensive will not get you far.

3. sharon

December 15, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I’m glad this is finally a topic of discussion. Its disgusting how after a designer has put in hard work to bring out a piece, a few lazy, money hungry faux designers will copy the exact same thing. Its understandable if you got inspired by it, not make the exact same thing. Shame on you designers who lack creativity, ripping people’s creativity a la BBK(you know yourself)

4. Missappleberry

December 15, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Such a matured response from Sike. Wow!

• Icrossmyheart

December 15, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Sarcasm? I hope. She was petty in her response. When you start with “we went to the same primary school, our forefathers greeted each other outside their huts, the time you wore my slippers to the bathroom”, you are petty. She completely missed the point of Ada’s first comment. In no way did Ada defend her sister. She simply stated what was what…..copyright infringement.

While I have been following Lisa’s fashion line for years, lately her collections have become a bore and more mainstream. Maki oh, on the other hand, more original and avant garde and she genuinely has the interest of showcasing ‘African aesthetics’ to the world. Lisa is more focused on being popular and liked. That does not a fashion brand make. It is of no surprise that she would copy Maki oh. There are other designs she has copied from maki oh not just this one.

Sike showed immaturity in her response. Commanding Ada to end the conversation because it suited her. Her sister was shouting on social media when she thought her designs were copied. Now the same is done to her and it is “we are friendly”.

Please. It is about time we call them out. Perhaps Lisa will be more focused on designing rather than posting outfit pics on the gram. I have never seen well established fashion houses focus on show casing the brands of other fashion houses than her. She rarely wears her designs. Maybe three times in the year. I think.

• Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 3:52 pm

SIS YOU BETTA PREACH

• Mark

December 15, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I don’t know who you are, but i can with all effrontery tell you this ——> YOU ARE A BLOODY GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• EGO

December 15, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Spot On! I should totally cross your path and buy you a tall glass of something chilled!

• awkward

December 15, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Sike’s response is not matured in any way.
      They copied end of.
      Lisa designed it a year ago and released it now?
      it implies that she has run out of creative ideas or does she design her collections one year before showing them?
      *long hiss*
      Ada Osakwe owned Sike and read her to filth….

• Abi

December 15, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Really? She was being cute and Ada read her like a large print text.

5. Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Ooooooooooooo. Tea anyone? I am cackling

6. AXA

December 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Maki Oh and Lisa Folawiyo are not for common Nigerians and they are not trying to sell to the masses. Same way high end designers elsewhere in the world are not for the masses, they just have a larger consumer base that can afford it.

Now back to the issue: There’s a small percentage of these designers in Nigeria and they all look the same, how is this even possible?. In other parts of the world where designers show their collection during fashion week, hundreds and hundreds of designers manage to look different, the similarities you would see would be the colour palettes, fabric, textures etc, but here everything looks the same.

Vogue even mentioned this a few months ago. How can an outsider come to Nigeria and write statements such as “Ruffled trimmed skirts, frill-edged blousons, and hatch-mark prints à la Maki Oh were sprinkled throughout the Lagos collections.” The world is looking at us.

Entire article here http://www.vogue.com/13498720/lagos-fashion-and-design-week-nigeria-maki-oh-lisa-folawiyo/

7. Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 3:07 pm

But let’s be honest here, designers have ripping off Maki Oh for years. Most recently she’s been copied by Tiffany Amber, Omilua and Iola. I thank God that she is internationally recognised for her work so that makes up for all the messiness.

It’s the same way Céline’s aesthetic has inspired so many other designers and Phoebe Philo’s silhouettes paved the way for the likes of Vetements and co.

• Nike

December 17, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Tiffany Amber doesn’t have an original bone in her body. It’s also a typical that as a designer grows she has newer designers help her mould her vision. So what’s being spoken of might not necessarily have come from the main designer but maybe from a junior designer. Best to be extra vigilant

8. Baby gurl

December 15, 2016 at 3:15 pm

In the past I have raised concerns about this. I have called out people like Ejiro Amos Tafiri, Toju Foyeh, Ugonna Omeruo, April by Kunbi, Andrea Inyamah and the biggest flop of them all, TopeFnR. They blatantly photocopy designs from Lebanese fashion houses most especially, American, British and French fashion. What will it cost you to be original? Brain pain? I have followed the Nigerian fashion scene for about 8 years now and I can confidently say our most original designers are Iconic Invanity, Deola Sagoe, Duro Olowu, Maki Oh and the newly minted Style Temple. This case above between JBL and MO. Obviously copied! Forget the English that JBL’s sister is speaking. This is not any rubbish case of “great minds think alike”. From the cut of the vest to the position of the thing around the arms. Too exact to be a coincidence!! This is why specialist design lawyers have always campaigned for intellectual property protection. If designers are not called out like this there will be no creativity. No creativity creates no competition. No competition is no growth. When there is no growth, no external investment and the industry becomes stagnant and the cycle goes on and on and on. Wake up Nigeria. Please let’s say NO TO MEDIOCRITY!

• Shegurl

December 15, 2016 at 8:33 pm

So hypocritical of you. You come here under an anonymous profile and you castigate and insult these so called designers, yet in reality you suck up to them and patronize them and use them for your ‘shoots’ or whatever. How do you really expect them to change when you don’t give them constructive criticism but you’ll rather suck up to their faces and come to blogs and leave bitter anonymous comments.

• Hills

December 15, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I can’t find any insults. Probably this was posted under the wrong comment

9. Mymind

December 15, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Anyone with a sound mind can see through Sike’s defensiveness! “We know each other, went to school together, and have been friendly since then”. And so? Rubbish! Folks, stay far these types of “friends”. Good job Ada and team Maki-oh for speaking up and calling this shit out for what it truly is.

• Abi

December 15, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Interestingly I met Sike many years ago and I remember being put off by her snide remarks about a supposed good friend of hers.

10. Tailor Laurent

December 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm

@Baby gurl…isn’t Tope FnR a tailor? why are u mentioning her name with Nigerian designers?
    she is a tailor not a fashion designer.
    i stand corrected tho.

• Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Gurl I’m on the flooorrrrr lmfao

• Olori

December 15, 2016 at 4:20 pm

you are the one calling her a tailor. what does she call herself?

• word

December 15, 2016 at 6:01 pm

BN, u need to enable this button for multiple likes per person.

11. Nne

December 15, 2016 at 3:51 pm

I definitely saw this coming….. I follow both women on instagram and absolutely love their work but can’t afford it at the moment.

There has definitely been a little tension and competition going on. Maki.oh has been posting international celebrities wearing her designs this past month and lisa started too..

Personally I prefer lisa folawiyo use of fabric choice for her designs but the issue is there was a marketing disconnection, for a while it felt like Lisa Folawiyo spent most of her time ‘campaigning’ for other international designers rather than her own brand when she has soooo much potential on the other hand Maki.oh is always in her designs when photographed 99% of the time and has been making deals internationally.

Hopefully this situation wont get worse. I wish both women all the best there is room for all and I truly admire their work and how they are attaining heights as Nigerians.

• Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Exactly. Lisa spends more time wearing foreign brands you would think maybe she’s merely a jewellery or handbag or shoe designer rather than someone who makes “luxury” clothing. Diane Von Furstenburg, Carolina Herrera, Deola Sagoe and Bridget Awosika are always seen in their own clothes and designs at least 80% of the time.

12. Commodore

December 15, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Poor Sike (whoever she is) really thought she could come in and walk out unscathed. LOL. I have no idea who Ada Osakwe is but she dragged the Sike person with eloquence and class.

• Tea-nisha

December 15, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Ada is Amaka’s sister. Did you you not read the post well?

• Commodore

December 16, 2016 at 4:38 am

And that means I know who she is? LOL. Can you not try to think?

13. The Girl who eats jollof

December 15, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I really don’t think Lisa designs this as a job.
    I also don’t think she does it to make money. It’s a hobby.
    It’s probably funded by her hubby who might not want her to work for other people.
    Reni Folawiyo did not build Alara or hire David Adjaye from her own pocket. Her hubby must have. There is nothing wrong with that.
    I honestly think that they just own fashion labels and fashion boutiques to leave the house every morning and not stay home twiddling their thumbs because they are the 1% and all their friends probably have jobs.
    Lets focus on designers who are in the business for the money and have a passion for it. Designers who have no rich husbands or fathers to fund their lifestyle. Designers who pay their own rent and gathered their own start up capital through hard work. Designers who sell a lot of clothes and accessories. Designers you see actual people wearing luxury or no luxury. designers who people would pay to buy their clothes because all these” i shop in London so much so i started a fashion label” are not the yardstick for measuring working women or serious fashion designers. It gives young women the wrong idea.
    They probably go to work @ midday and leave by 4pm.
    Not hating just stating the obvious.

• Shegurl

December 15, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Lol @ go to work at midday and leave work at 4pm. It’s not so bad when you have a family to take care of and employees to do the leg work. You have more time to focus on strategy and important aspects of the business. I do think Alara is more than just a hobby. The woman worked on this concept for years and it’s not fair to just pass it off as a ‘hobby’ That’s the thing with Nigerians we never appreciate our own. If Hermes on the other hand came to Nigeria and opened a luxury mall it would be highly celebrated. What a shame!

• Tea-nisha

December 19, 2016 at 9:06 am

I agree. Reni Folawiyo took a bold step and is doing something to elevate the fashion scene. Does it matter if the money was from her husband? She took a huge risk.

14. Caramel chic

December 15, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I am absolutely gob smacked that a brand like Lisa folayiwo would have one of its founders publicly go into a back to back confrontation conversation on social media. Ive always felt Lisa folayiwo had the wrong people giving her retail business advice. For a brand that has postioned itself as the luxury brand of Nigeria for years. How the heck do you not have an online store? Why is there some mystery around your brand and store? You are more concerned getting a feature in vogue Italia than creating a commercial brand. I’ve never seen you hold a bloggers party at your store. I Went to the London gucci bloggers event last week and I can tell you half of us there could probably only own a gucci scarf or perfume. Majority of the bloggers there had probably never had a gucci bag in their life. But they need to create cross consumer awareness. Gucci is a business that relys on sales not just perception. I’m sure lisa and her team do what they want that is right in their eyes. But I get frustrated when I don’t see brands like Lisa taking to the next level. being a luxury brand doesn’t mean you limit the brands exposure. It means you protect your brands archetict.

15. MurderSheWrote

December 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Their (Ada and Sike) ig accounts are now private lol ?

• I'm spending too much time thinking of a sexy name

December 15, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Their accounts have always been private.

16. AB

December 15, 2016 at 6:55 pm

yes ohh all those other people you called Ejiro Amos Tafiri, Toju Foyeh, Ugonna Omeruo, April by Kunbi, Andrea Inyamah ofcourse are not designers at all. Okay Andrea does try though I must say, I cant knock her at all. BUT the others mbanu, pureeee tailors! Sorry guys yall are TAILORS! But they get an ‘A’ for trying and making something out of it. No imagination or creativity whatsoever, they copy to the T!

Even if Gucci decides to copy another designer they make their own so much so that when you look at the other you will know which brand is behind each design! but then again we cant equate the financial access & pool of talent most of these other fashion houses have….so for example Donatella Versace designs, I am one hundred percent sure that if she comes up with a design idea, behind it is another 10-15 people reworking that idea until there’s never any like it at least in a jolly long while and even when other try to copy it, it just wont look the same and reference will always be made to the original designer!. But Nigerian designers do it all alone, I’m a designer, I will figure it out etc etc, No, you dont have to! Hire people who love fashion, who love designing, who are creative and who can see beyond what you also see!

I stopped going to Lisa’s IG page because I can literally count how many of her designs are on there! But of course in Nigeria we have a bunch of ass lickers, they will hush and keep the like going as if she has designed the best of the best” . Glad Ada stood her ground.,the fact we soaked garri when all was down dont mean we rip each other off, this is business! strictly business…Zero shiet given!

17. Letty

December 15, 2016 at 7:46 pm

I cross my heart u couldn’t have said it better. It’s like LISA folawiyo actually detests and looks down on her clothes. She aggressively promotes other western designers. Just like the colonial syndrome. Well i wouldn’t blame her much bcos her clothes are very bland and basic she gets these accolades because of the social circles she runs around in. Maki oh iconic put a lot of thought and creativity into their designs.

Its almost like some of these designers just try titillate the average naija women and intimidate them. They are grossly overpriced. It’s the same tailors from togo, abiriba that sew for tiffany amber, lisa and her likes that sew for Mr. Ganiyu and all other creative hard working no name tailors doing fantastic jobs all over Nigeria.

18. Ada be killin' em

December 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Ada Osakwe for Team MAKI OH 1
    Sike Saro for Team LISAFOLAWIYO 0.

Ada, person no dey play with you sef? Definition of a good PR Rep. You sure don’t play!! Comeback #goals!! #Respek!!

19. hmmm

December 15, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I never get why Nigerians belittle the wor ” tailor” such ignorance. If only you knew your middle class or lower upper class can’t afford tailors as a lifestyle.

Quite insulting to call a hustler, a tailor. Most of them are hustlers calling themselves designers and tailors, they are not even ordinary seamstresses. pls stick to their fancy title with a prefix, non-creative directors. thanks

these two should be quiet. They all copy, if not from themselves from others abroad. some are just more xerox than others. I think they come across as original bcos of the Ankara flavour. that being said, I think Maki oh is slightly more original. Lisa is concerned more on being the i t girl promoting others brands and a wannabe internationally. focus lady.

20. passerby

December 16, 2016 at 12:47 am

Lisa Folawiyo introduced the concept of beading Ankara and that ingenious innovation was not only copied by every designer and tailor, it has been abused. Lisa didn’t burst any vessel. She just kept going at her designing.
    Ada shouldn’t have commented the way she did. It was cheeky and Unkind especially towards people she is friends with. Let the customers do the talking.
    She started the unnecessary talk and now people are calling out Sike…..unfair much? Kini big deal anyway? Vanity upon vanity

• Okayma

December 16, 2016 at 2:18 am

Bn please we need a dislike option. Not every time reply such comments as above with words.

• Estee

December 16, 2016 at 5:11 am

Welcome Team LisaFolawiyo. We have heard you. So you didn’t read the part where Sike wrote, “As an extremely educated lady why would you come on IG and try to imply what is being instigated here? It’s not done. It’s beneath you. I expected more…”? If that wasn’t a diss, then I don’t know what is. And you expected Ada to just keep quiet because, why?

Lisa introduced the concept of beading Ankara? Not only that, she also invented the fabric and exported it to the world. Kai. Liar, liar, pants on fire. My own mother used to bead her Ankara and use appliqué on them as far back as the ’80s! Oh I wish I could share a picture!! You stating lies blatant here don’t make it a fact so stop eet!!

Y’all who think Lisa is your God and untouchable, this is a wake up call. No one’s here for that kinda rubbish. You serve, we here to finish it. #wenodeylookUcheface.

• Passerby

December 16, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Estee breathe, you will be ok. We are all entitled to our opinions. I’m not team anybody, this isn’t. Fight nor a competition, grow up.

Getting so worked up over superficial stuff like this in a world where people are facing refugee crisis says a lot about you.

I retain my take on the fact that the jeweled sparkling Ankara was Lisa’s invention. I don’t know your mom and I doubt that Lisa knew your mom either. Beading versus sparkling jewels are 2 separate entities because fashion is diverse.

It’s not that deep to me. Ada threw the first stone. That’s all I was trying to point out. Let the customers do the talking and the buying.

• Know your Nigerian Fashion History

December 16, 2016 at 7:39 am

Ere Dappa introduced it.

21. I dont have any power of my own

December 16, 2016 at 1:20 am

Lisa Folawiyo V Maki-Oh.
    —————————-
    VERDICT:

Copiers copy Copiers!
    Both are Hustlers, please do not insult TAILORS,These tailors in the likes of joke,kudi,shefiu,kowope,atunda,saidat,bose,sunday,godwin are the ones that create and replay the “chuka,chuka” sounds of the machineries used for the so-called “luxury” clothes that I CANNOT BEGIN TO AFFORD, Please STOP this “buy Nigeria nonsense”, they are exhorting us by us. Also please do not insult “tailors” again by mentioning Topefnr, miss “stomach snatch”, still snatching insecure women as far as im concerned,left to me,she should be selling lininings for clothes at oke-arin.

Sike Saro- Da ke! Please dont type again
    Ada Osakwe- Kpuchie ònū

However, there are the ORIGINALS, Couture Designers too, Respect to their work history and input to the fashion industry.

Adebakare Couture
    Deola By Deolasagoe
    Remi Lagos(RIP)
    Duro Olowu
    Nkwo Official
    Nikky Khiran.

I have no powers of my own oh!

22. Class Act

December 16, 2016 at 5:37 am

I googled (if that’s a word) Ada Osakwe and then Sike Saro and I had to laugh! It’s no wonder about their responses. Quality not quantity, people!! Real class act!

23. EbonyFre

December 16, 2016 at 11:01 am

Being a creative myself, I know a lot of coincidences happen in design.
    So many times, I design something on paper and months (or different time lags) later someone else releases the finished product and I’m like SH****T.
    My sister usually says “if God gives you an idea and you don’t run with it, he’ll find someone else to, you are not irreplaceable”.
    I still haven’t been running with visions/ideas. God help and forgive me.
    All that being said, I still believe and know that there’s a lot of copying that happens in the design world. Sometimes it’s inspiration that forms the basis for new creation, other times, it’s just outright intellectual property theft in my opinion.

Why did Sike start getting personal “we ate together, showered together…”
    But then I get her being pissed off, especially if it really is a case of great minds thinking alike.

Either way, I wish things unfolded differently for them, especially as they are originally “friends”

24. Caramel chic

December 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Imagine with all that experience and being the first to retail beaded ankara. .. if Lisa had actually came out with her own ankara fabric line?? Competing with our Netherland or Amsterdam (Can’t remember) mama vilisco who have never produced fabric in our African country thus sell it to us at premium prices, and shout proudly African. Could you imagine the impact she would have had with our industry? It pisses me of when we shout proudly naija. But our designers do not use indeginous fabrics. ..I’m not saying you need to use it for every design but let’s be thoughtful and we wonder why the industry is stagnant. We have adire, aso oke…Other fabrics I’m sure I don’t know about. But all your fabrics are imported and then you add a £250 price tag and say support your own. When half of the money is helping another economy. . How?… grateful to deola sagoe who also realised that recently, that for her to be unique she needs to create her own fabric design (not sure if it’s an indeginous fabric though) and another designer can’t remember her name. Who used the lagos Danfo cars as designs.

25. Peyton

December 16, 2016 at 3:26 pm

This here is the reason we need proper laws in this coutry. The fashion industry needs to have laws that regulate against design copying, styling etc. This will protect designers not just in Nigeria but it will enable them sue even foreign fashion houses that rip off their designs

26. Letty

December 16, 2016 at 4:24 pm

This is a non issue. Because of the anonymity and comfort of social media. Everyone is an expert and postulates, and pontificates on topics of little importance. Tailors have been copying each other for centuries. How are trends formed. Where do i start from Victorian dresses to the 5os styles to bell bottoms and even most recently cold shoulder tops which have been designed from dolce and gabbana, Ermenegildo zegna, forever 21, zara, name it..are they all infringing on copy rights? Who is the originator where will the law suits start or end. As long as a designer or tailor or cut and nail can make clothes that make us feel good what does it matter? This topic is highly overrated..there are 2000 naira tailors that come up with original designs that the so called designers copy. Its free for all i doubt there are laws banning tailors from copying each other. And yes they are all tailors call yourselves designers, ateliers, bespoke bespeak, pret a porter whatever. It takes a certan amount of skill to put scissors to fabric and come up with an outfit. Not everyone can. To all tailors out there keep doing you. There is something for everyone and every income level.

Ps. My pet peeve is the grossly overpriced and overrated outfits being celebrated on bellanaija that many beautiful ladies cannot afford but only drool over. Probably designed to entice and make the average woman drool.

27. funmi

December 18, 2016 at 12:48 am

exactly what is being copied, er we don’t even have fashion designers in Nigeria just yet apart from deola Sagoe that is!

28. Ignorance is bliss

December 19, 2016 at 9:31 am

Whilst you people are awarding and applauding Maki-oh’s rep, this is not going down well in the fashion industry and Maki-oh will forever be referenced as copying Lisafolawiyo under the Intellectual Property Act!

• .

December 19, 2016 at 7:51 pm

If you read this properly, you would have understood that it is Lisa Folawiyo Studios that has been accused of copying Maki Oh’s work and not the other way round. This is because the release of Maki Oh’s dress pre-dates the release of Lisa Folawiyo’s dress by at least 6 months.

29. MiDe

December 19, 2016 at 12:32 pm

When inspiration doesn’t strike, I think renowned fashion designers can team up with young talents who would help them sketch a new collection, instead of copying another brand.

There is also nothing wrong in being inspired by another designer’s work. Don’t just copy directly. You can create something else. The Nigerian fashion industry is so focused on looking foreign, hence the need to copy.

Inspiration can be drawn from so much in Africa at large and you can still make your pieces appeal to the foreign market.

30. destiny

December 20, 2016 at 9:58 am

well in fashion industry there is no such thing as COPYRIGHT. Every designer is being inspired by one thing or the other.