News

I did it to save my dying son – Suspected Drug Smuggler after Excreting 66 Wraps of Heroin

BellaNaija.com

Anukaenyi Bob-Manuel Ogochukwu. Photo Credit: PUNCH

Anukaenyi Bob-Manuel Ogochukwu, 43 on Wednesday, excreted 66 wraps of heroin weighing 1.1kg.

PUNCH reports that Ogochukwu initially denied having anything to do with drugs when he was apprehended on suspicion of being a drug courier.

He was apprehended during the inward screening of passengers on an Ethiopian Airline flight from Nairobi.

He excreted the substance after being placed in seclusion for hours, spokesperson of the National drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Mitchell Ofoyeju said.

The Anambra state indigene began to beg the officials, saying he went into drug smuggling to save his 4-year old son who is in the hospital.

“I teach in a computer school at Onitsha, Anambra State. This is my very first time of having anything to do with drugs. The doctor said that my child has a hole in the heart.

I met many people for help but nobody was willing to help me except a drug baron. My son is currently at a hospital in Nairobi with my wife who is Kenyan.

The baron who is from Tanzania promised to pay me $2,000 to take care of my child’s medical bills. I took the decision to smuggle the drugs into Nigeria because I am very worried about the condition of my son,” Ogochukwu said.

According to the Chairman of NDLEA, retired Col. Muhammad Abdallah:

“No explanation is tenable for committing a crime. Drug trafficking is a criminal offence and the suspect will be charged accordingly. The suspect’s action only complicated his condition because he is here facing a criminal charge while the responsibility of taking care of his sick son now rests solely on the wife.”

Ogochukwu will be sentenced to at least 15 years imprisonment upon conviction, the NDLEA boss said.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. becky

March 18, 2017 at 1:50 pm

People will always give excuses for committing crimes, the only acceptable excuse a criminal can give is greed. Contentment is key.

2. Huh

March 18, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Does it occur to him that the mode in which he intends to save his son could lead to the death of others.

3. Rainbow

March 18, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Just because of $2,000? Really? What about getting two jobs /borrow some money and pay it back in instalments? What a shame.

• RE

March 18, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Calm down Oga, this is not America, borrow money from where?How many of you commenting have had to watch a family member die without being able to help.

Stop judging him, I’m not saying what he did was right, but you know how our useless country is. No infrastructure whatever to help poor people or people in need. In Nigerian hospitals they accept down payment before treating you for emergencies. I had a family friend who got robbed and was beaten to a pulp. When she arrived at the nearest hospital, they did not treat her until her boyfriend was able to get to the hospital with the down-payment of 30k,

Our system pushes people to indulge in such activities. Most of you commenting have someone to loan $2000 from. In this harsh economic times a lotof people don’t even have someone to borrow $200 from. Don’t forget $100 in Nigeria is more than many people monthly salary. If you were in the man’s position you will probably do the same thing (even if you know its wrong). We do the wrong things everyday to get what we want. In this case he used it to get something he needed.

• kemi

March 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm

very true
      If he comes to bellanaija
      how many people will donate?
      tough!

• Rainbow

March 19, 2017 at 6:38 pm

God forbid, I’ll rather go and steal than to carry cocaine. He can borrow money from people. Well… since he find himself in this situation after doing the deed, I hope you also have a message on how he is going to come out of the mess for him and others that are thinking of doing the same thing because their child(ren) is dying.
      By the way, I am not a man and I do not resides in America.

4. Me

March 18, 2017 at 8:46 pm

But why is it always a specific group of people?! are there no ‘dying kids’ in other groups? Na wa o!

• Cocolette

March 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

That grandma that was carrying cocaine inside travelling bag to Dubai last week is from another group ? na acho ndi i ga e mevo