News

Queen’s College: We warned of the “general environmental chaos” in 2016 – Old Student Laila St. Matthew-Daniel

BellaNaija.com

In March last year, when the Queen’s College Old Students’ Association sent a delegation to investigate a case of alleged sexual harassment by a male teacher, it was discovered that the school environment was nothing to write home about, a Facebook post by Laila St. Matthew-Daniel, the Chairperson of the delegation said.

She claimed that apart from their report on the sexual harassment case, they also tendered their observations on the terrible state of the school environment.

Laila claimed that in a bid to exonerate the said teacher, the Parents Teachers Association (PTA) did not act on the observations made.

12 months later, according to the lagos state commissioner for health Dr. Jide Idris, 2 students have died and over a dozen others have been hospitalised due to a bacterial infection spread through contaminated water.

The school was shut down following the incident, and the state government has advised that it remains so.

Chidi Odinkalu, the President-General of Unity Schools Old Students Association has also said that students should not be allowed to return to the school as it is facing a “public health emergency”.

Laila, in the Facebook post claimed that the investigative panel set up by Federal Ministry of Education and the Lagos state government ignored the points made in the report. She wrote:

QUEEN’S COLLEGE, ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES and the DEATH of STUDENTS

This unfortunate situation was one of the focal point of our report on the alleged sexual issue at QC last year.

Over and above finding out if the man was guilty of sexual harassment of students as alleged, we wrote about the terrible conditions we observed first hand:
– overflowing sewage next to the cafeteria and kitchen, and two of the dormitories;
– the unhygenic area of food prep;
– the crowded dorms;
– Seeming water issues;
– the overflowing garbage dump next to one of the dorms; and
– general environmental chaos that could have disastrous consequences on the health, wellbeing, and ability of student to perform in their studies.

It also stated, clearly, that the school had become VERY overcrowded for the facilities available!

The PTA in their quest to exonerate Mr Osifala IGNORED those points! Ministry of Education panel and Lagos State Education sector inclusive! In fact they ignored EVERYTHING concerning the spiritual, emotional and physical health and welfare of the girls! The PTA slung mud at the QCOGA: saying we didn’t know what we were doing! That we were witch-hunting – ignoring the crucial observations!

Now what we cautioned has come to pass! GIRLS HAVE DIED and some are still in the hospital! I hear again that the School has told the JS3 and SS3 girls to resume (bringing their water and food) . AGAINST the order for closure indefinitely! As someone said, if it was a Private School the authorities would have been quick to CLOSE IT DOWN!

What kind of people are at the helm of affairs playing ‘Russian Roulette’ with the lives of children?? Are our children disposable commodity?

Why should they allow an institution like QUEENS COLLEGE fall to rot? Such institutions abroad are preserved!

WHERE ARE THE PARENTS? They should speak out and take action. It can be any child!

Such a pity the way we take very important issues lightly once it doesn’t concern us directly! Some people don’t know what it is to see a child die!!

@LJSMD

1. Ides of March

March 19, 2017 at 6:56 pm

They want students to resume a bring their water and food ke??!!!

2. Ides of March

March 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm

*and*

3. Fleur

March 19, 2017 at 7:00 pm

I am annoyed by the coverage of this issue. Of all the bacteria that can be found in a dirty environment, and a lot of places in Nigeria qualify as dirty, what is the culprit for the epidemic? It is not all the microbial agents that will be capable of this large scale epidemic running into months now. You have to know the culprit agent – viral, parasitic or bacterial in order to offer proper treatment. It can also clue you into the source of the outbreak. All the news reports just talk so broadly about all the contamination. That is daily life in Nigeria. Which specific organism(s) is/are responsible for the epidemic? It has to be a virulent one. Find it, and the source will become more obvious, and then you can “take the handle off the pump” like John Snow did back in the 1800s in London.

• nne

March 19, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Are you serious? If there is open sewage next to where food is being prepped do you really need to know the name of the actual virus to know that there is a problem? Its up to the parents at this point, they ought to pull their wards out, QC is clearly not what it used to be.

• blackbeatle

March 19, 2017 at 10:57 pm

its probably e coli and salmonella

4. keke driver

March 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Please just take a stroll to King’s College at Obalende/CMS and you’ll wonder if it’s really King’s college…..It’s sad, really sad

5. youke

March 19, 2017 at 8:47 pm

This Laila woman, I was told she was one of the best therapists in Nigeria, but I was shocked at her rude attitude towards me and even more shocked she actually using the secrets I shared with her to insult me. I was amost tempted to respond with, That means I can also say you deserved the beatings ypur husband gave you too but I respected her grey hair. I can never look at her the same way ever again and will never take her seriously

6. teeb

March 19, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I think is high time parents should stop taking their kids to Government boarding school, you need to see the conditions most of those schools are now, you will pity the children in the boarding house.

7. Corolla

March 20, 2017 at 3:17 am

“overflowing sewage next to the cafeteria and kitchen, and two of the dormitories;”. This has been going on since I was in QC in the late 90s. Obi bathroom which was on the ground floor and parallel to the dinning room would over flow with water and poop from a busted sewage every single day. It is so shameful that it took 2 girls to die for anyone to pay attention. Then the authorities had the guts to say that people should be happy that only 2 people died. What rubbish! I am so ashamed of that school right now! 2 beautiful children died! So sad!

• Alia

March 20, 2017 at 7:13 am

Whether you like it or not, that school added to the woman you are today. Everything in life is an experience. I also graduated from QC in the late 90s so I know what you are talking about but were you not proud to say you were an ex-student before all this? By the way, when last did you pay your QCOGA dues? How much have you donated since all this began? When last did you go for an OG meeting to contribute to solving these problems? Other Old Girls are frantically running around trying to raise emergency funds to help solve a problem they did not create and you are here running the school down further! Other Old Girls contributed to make us happy while we were there, liaising with the principal every step of the way. What have YOU done as an OG to affect the lives of those after you positively? Show me an FG school that didn’t have issues back then. We have FG schools that have had students drinking from local rivers for decades and nothing was done for a long time. If anyone should be running the school down, it certainly shouldn’t be you. Help the situation, don’t aggravate it.

8. Moyo

March 20, 2017 at 8:29 am

I shudder at the thoughts of what will be going through the minds of the parents who lost their children. May the souls of the departed rest in peace, it is time for the parents to stand up and talk, the government will not do anything if there is no outrage by the parents, this is just too bad.

9. Tee

March 20, 2017 at 8:41 am

We are dirty in Naija sha. I’d rather be labelled OCD than be part of this madness. You go see women washing the back of their pots like say tomorrow no dey but the same person no go use handwash when they use the toilet. Handwash na for decoration and the back of your pot is what really. I still don’t get it. Do you cook with that part? They concentrate on stupid things and cook in a dirty kitchen, dirty fridge that hasn’t be cleaned since they bought it, yet they store all food there, raw and cooked. Abeg I don taya to dey talk about how dirty people are. I mean those with househelp are even worse. You wonder what they pay for really. From dirty cupboards in kitchen to dirty fridge, dirty water Dispenser, dirty blender as if to clean am na taboo, to dirty freezer as long as Nepa no take light, to dirty doors and handles. Nyannnnmaaaa!!!! Before person come curse me now. Na only to wear clothes comot for Saturday and after church on Sunday dey sabi, while ekaete supervise her own cleaning. Ekuse dirty environment o QC and their PTA. Hian!!!!!?

10. Tee

March 20, 2017 at 8:47 am

Please if you know you won’t be able to clean your dish drainer weekly, why buy it in the first place? I’ve seen worms under many dish drainer that’s why I don’t eat when you invite me. Pls wipe your plate and stack properly in the cupboard. I’m ranting here cos many are guilty of this and to those I can’t tell directly, I pray you open these post. Yes, na me!!!!

11. Tatafo

March 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm

This is very very shameful. Kudos to QCOG for speaking out. No parent should send their daughters back oh.