News

Ekiti Woman allegedly Brutalised & Detained by Police for failing to give Bribe | Commissioner Claims she Slapped an Officer

Toyin Adeyeye. Photo Credit: PUNCH

One Akanni Adeyeye has narrated how police officers in Ado Ekiti allegedly brutalised his wife Toyin for refusing to give them bribe.

PUNCH reports that Toyin, who returned from the United States of America ten days prior to the incident, was said to have been taken to the New Iyin Police Station alongside her two month-old baby, Heritage and her younger brother, Adeniyi Dada.

Adeyeye alleged that the beating continued at the station, adding that his wife’s car was also impounded.

The incident took place at a police checkpoint, few metres away from the residence of the state’s police commissioner, Abdullah Chafe.

About five officers were said to have carried out the alleged attack.

When contacted, the police commissioner, Chafe said that the victim was detained for slapping a police officer and tearing his uniform, adding that the matter is still under investigation.

“Those people slapped my policeman on duty and tore (his) uniform. Uniform is an authority and what those people did was against the law and it is not good for a civilian to slap a policeman.

It is not good for somebody to prevent a law enforcement officer from carrying out his lawful duty. Somebody wearing the uniform? It is not about his age but the authority he carries. I don’t allow my men to do something contrary to the law,” Chafe said.

Adeyeye, who disclosed that his wife spent the night at the police station, said:

My wife and her brother were returning from the market at about 3.00pm on Friday and on arrival at the checkpoint in front of the Pavilion very close to their station, they asked for all vehicle papers and driver’s licence which were produced and they are valid.

After checking all the documents, the policemen were demanding for money to be given as ‘settlement’ which my wife and her brother refused. My wife drew their attention to the baby that was crying in the car.

Five of them were beating her at the point of arrest and on getting to the station, the beating continued. After thoroughly beating her, they obtained her statement around 10.00pm. There are wounds on the back of my wife and face to show for it.

On getting to the station, they now cooked up a story that my wife slapped one of them and tore his uniform which is a lie. They are telling this lie to justify their cruelty to my wife, my baby and my brother-in-law.

Neither my wife nor her brother slapped any policeman or tore any uniform. The question to be asked is how would somebody who is not armed attack an armed policeman? They are cooking up this falsehood to cover up their brutality.

Funke Anoma, the chairperson for Ekiti state chapter of Federation of International Women Lawyers told PUNCH that investigation into the matter is ongoing.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. Spunky

March 19, 2017 at 2:00 pm

This commissioner is very stupid! Yes, stupid! I guess he saw first hand when the woman dished out a slap to the officer?!The uniform give these men so much power they chose to be outta control most times…SARS no go gree person drink water keep cup; police go ask for license and paper and if e complete, them go demand to search ur wallet…

• Chief

March 19, 2017 at 3:52 pm

You see why women are horribly vicious..No man out of a blue hits a woman first,without her initiating violence.We need to address what’s the fundamental causes of domestic violence against women.We must tell women stop triggering violence.,verbally abusing men,provoking men..I hate when people try to down play what female perpetrators do.

Haba! women are acting violently nowadays than we have in the past.She slapped a man(a uniform police man) and expect him to keep quiet? Slap a man and expect a punch back …period

• tonia

March 19, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Chief, receive sense small!!!!!!!!!!!! On a serious note, you really need to check your self, cos it seems you have mental issues

• The Bull

March 19, 2017 at 10:56 pm

lmao its funny how most of the men that run around punching women, hardly hit a man their own size “when provoked” many of them are cowards. Chief your wife better not say pim to you oh, i can imagine how you will go all mayweather on her ass.

• Corolla

March 20, 2017 at 3:22 am

Bella Naijarians, we all need to ignore people like Chief, Paul Adeyemo, John and co. BN is the only place in their meaningless lives that they can flex their muscles, and we keep feeding into their BS when we respond to their weak ass comments. Just ignore them!!

2. Papacy

March 19, 2017 at 2:05 pm

…even if she did assault an officer. Why not simply arrest her? Why do you have to attack a defenseless citizen? Terrible.

3. The Real Oma

March 19, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Are we ever in want of clueless + unintelligent people in the leadership of this country? What of justification is this from a Commissioner? Chai!

4. David

March 19, 2017 at 2:25 pm

These are the police men women ought to report DV to, abi? Really terrible!

5. Dolly

March 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm

My teenage years experience with Nigerian police in Lagos:

I got to an intersection where i was flagged down by some policemen. They checked my papers and everything was ok. At this point my older sister was getting pissed with their obvious ‘find something wrong, since we don’t understand the language (bribe)’.

So he checked my trunk and came back demanding to know why i have no caution sign. I instantly pleaded with him as i was tired of being delayed for nothing but it seems begging him fuel his power trip. He insisted on taking us to the station and older sis said ok then turn to me ‘why are you so nice today, he already wasted our time we might as well relax and make sure that bribe they want don’t happen.

We got to the station, their boss came out to find out whats going on. Right there and loud in our faces, the two policemen claimed we were arrogant and almost assaulted them. That my older sis threatened to slap him while i was speaking british english (never even lived in england) to him that my father owns Nigeria and i will see to it that he loses his job.

I think the utter shock on our faces says it all coz their boss just told them to let us go after he asked us our side of the story and we just stood there speechless.

Since then i will never believe any Nigerian police version of events in any situation unless there’s a video proof, the lies they make up to criminalize citizens just blows mind.

6. EC

March 19, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Hard to believe a Nigerian woman would slap an official. Even if she did were they supposed to beat her up.

7. funmilola

March 19, 2017 at 3:50 pm

where’s basket mouth and his new found love for the Nigerian police force?

8. Beard gang

March 19, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Many of our police officers at checkpoints are largely ‘uneducated’, ill-trained and hungry…so I’m surprised we expect impeccable standards from them …many of them are from very poor backgrounds and have little or no exposure to what social etiquettes are…they are poorly paid and over-utilized (the old saying; pay peanuts get monkeys) as long as we have these problems in the force the gross ineptitude will thrive…
    If we don’t get some ‘tush’ people to be patriotic enough to join the force at that checkpoint level and if government does not ensure proper funding is marked out and actually put to use for training and welfare of officers; brothers and sisters this is just a glimpse of what the police has coming …be the change you want to see right? Join the force!

9. Bussy

March 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm

and do u think a reasonable woman will just slap a uniform man without doing anything to her? pls u av no point

10. WOG

March 19, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Is there no protocol that the police should follow if assaulted by a civilian? Do they have to fall to barbaric acts?

11. survivor

March 19, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Police and lies..there was a night I had issue with a driver and d condor cos of money,so they started punching me,I took their speaker trew it inside the bush and was running along the main road,they were chasing me too,an SUV that was coming packed told me to stop,they held those guys, called the police and took them to police station,locked their ass up in the cell while I went home.The next day I went to the station saw the owner of the bus(a pastor) he begged me to forgive those bastards for beating me,thou they paid for my Bluetooth they spoilt.The policeman told me to claim more damages.. But I know just get the heart o lol.. Nigeria police are funny..them go manufacture lie put for your head.U just have to be careful with them.

12. Jess

March 20, 2017 at 12:10 am

So the commissioner is promoting lawlessness. Let’s assume this woman slapped the police ( I can bet my salary that is a lie) so that justifies the police beating her up. This is a commissioner. Why is it that people in power in Nigeria are the dumbest people in our country.if a commissioner can boldly say this as a justification for such barbaric act by the police, then there is a big big problem.

13. [email protected]

March 20, 2017 at 4:38 am

I believe everything the husband said. Never talk about money in the hearing of a police or sleep with a policeman with money in your house……. They will kill you take the money take the corpse outside the road and call it a case of hit and run. Be warned.

14. Ifeoma

March 20, 2017 at 5:07 am

And the police commissioner had to justify the barbaric act of his men to a defenseless woman with a baby in the vehicle, I weep for Nigeria because we don’t have a police force.

15. Ada

March 20, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Police associated with bribery and brutality, common language in SL as well. No morals at all. This is really bad as we expect them to be a force for good. The traffic officers are planted in strategy locations to mainly cater for their bosses from these corrupt practices -So, no wahala, it’s a syndicate!
    They need to be investigated and action taken!

16. ngozi

March 20, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I think this is the orientation they get to become an officer from the top officers,how could you do this to a woman,a nursing mother,if you claim she assaulted you,you should have arrested her than brutalizing her like this,i think the Nigerian Army and Nigerian Police should be call in order,against brutalizing fellow citizens unnecessarily simply because of the power giving to YOU,so many citizen have died because of bribery from officers,please let us be good citizens by protecting one another .