Sweet Spot

See Gbenga Artsmith’s Beautiful Traditional Wedding Inspired Shoot featuring Author Joy Isi Bewaji

BellaNaija Weddings

Joy Isi Bewaji

“As a woman, you can’t afford to be average in a society that’s not built for you to be great. You have to do more and work a little extra.” – Joy Isi Bewaji

Still in the spirit of International Women’s Day marked on the 8th of March, Jewelry designer Gbenga Artsmith release his first #InspiringWomen campaign in 2017 featuring Joy Isi Bewaji; an author, lifestyle editor, presenter and creative writer.

Joy is a different breed of feminist. She is of the school of thought that is not interested in fighting for the equality of women but changing the orientation of women about womanhood/women’s right, and invariably the larger society.

She is inspiring a new crop of women who are ditching their entitlement mentality and demands for equality from society; women who are rather moving mountains- by themselves, for themselves.

The shoot is also targetted at inspiring confidence in Nigerian women who are not your everyday size 6 or 8 figure but are still fabulous in their own size.

“Women are actually the custodians of Patriarchy. It is always a woman that will ensure another woman does not succeed. We are always against one another. Men don’t care. They just want to make good money and have good sex. But it’s women that will scheme, gossip and manipulate one another. It’s rarely a man that wants to bring a woman down. It’s another woman that will strive to bring another woman down.” – Joy Isi Bewaji

See the photos below, be Inspired!

Credits
Jewelry: Gbenga Artsmith | @gbengaartsmith
Makeup and Gele: Lola Semowo Shittu | @molurlahsmakeover
Photography: Francis Lens | @francislens
Styling: Gbenga Ayo Dada | @gbengaayodada for @gbengaartsmith
Blouse: Mrs E | @obbyezike
Asooke: Tobi Smith | @tickledpinkasooke

1. Nnenna

March 13, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Joy everyday. My facebook crush. Beautiful as ever.

2. Fabulous

March 13, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Beautiful

3. ice

March 13, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I went off Facebook last December.I missed joy’s posts so much I had to stalk her with my husband’s fb account. Hubby is now addicted like me. Unfortunately, we don’t like or comment- we read then debate to agree or disagree. Ur posts is bridging our communication challenge.We love you Joy. Congrats on your new apartment. Greetings to your kids. In my mind, you are our friend?.

4. Gbemi

March 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm

See this mummy that is always fighting on Facebook .. thought she was one young girl oo

5. Oyin

March 14, 2017 at 12:59 am

I love this woman so much.Her Facebook posts give me so much life.She writes so well and i have learnt so much from her numerous Facebook rants.love you joy!

6. adelegirl

March 14, 2017 at 9:43 am

Lovely pictures. But Joy, please practice what you preach. You are bringing down other women by peddling this narrative that women are each other’s worst enemies and that men rarely bring women down. Tell that to the number of women in organisations who are being schemed out by men threatened by the thought of a female superior or to abused women the world over. I am a woman and I have received tremendous support from women. I will never bring another woman down to make a point. I am tired of the woman-on-woman bashing. We are stronger and better together, when we uplift and empower other women.

7. Zona

March 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Thank you @adelegirl. I am tired of this ugly narrative about women and I always distance myself from such conversations. I have been supported by women and I try my best to do the same to both men and women in my life. We keep portraying women as if we were born evil.

8. peo

March 14, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I like joy but she’s so nasty with that her follow follow bestie with pimple prisca

9. nonye inspired

March 14, 2017 at 1:13 pm

@adelegirl and @zona but that is the truth , its not about bringing down women but how to embrace ourselves , our ”womanity” and all. Men dont care if a woman gave birth via CS or natural but we pit each other on how one gave birth via CS and what not…its every where in all organizations, churches…its the truth lets face it..

10. tunmi

March 14, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I do love Joy. And it’s a painful truth but women are the custodians of patriarchy. Was it not women who kept championing that TBoss was awake and was aware. Also the whole mother-in-law saga, no be women. This is not to say men don’t do their own because they do. But we also need to address our own

11. folu

March 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm

She actually looks so beautiful. I however lost respect for her after she insulted a fellow woman’s child who has a challenge with her sight. Practise what you preach madam and remember that not every woman will want to agree with you all The time.