BN TV

Watch Omoni Oboli’s Emotional Response to the Court Injunction which blocked the Premiere of “Okafor’s Law”

After months of planning including the world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2016, Omoni Oboli‘s “Okafor’s Law” was set to premiere in Lagos last night and begin showing in cinemas across Nigeria this month.

Superstars were all dolled up for the premiere at the Filmhouse IMAX Cinema in Lekki. As everyone settled in to watch the film, Omoni tearfully announced that a court injunction had been received that evening and the screening was cancelled.
She boldly exclaimed that she wrote the script and therefore, the claims are false.

A Canada-based writer, Jude Idada had accused Omoni Oboli of stealing his story and idea.

Jude filed the complaint as Raconteur Productions and in the court document, it is stated that actress/producer Omoni would have been guilty of contempt of court if she went ahead with a premiere screening or release.

Watch!

1. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

March 25, 2017 at 10:49 am

Lala Akindoju looks beautiful I like her outfit, that beautiful smile

Omoni Oboli, has she ever met the Jude?

The Jude Idada, who is his lawyer?

Because sometimes, people share ideas, and the money is not shared like the ideas

• Alex

March 25, 2017 at 12:00 pm

So, some time last year, I had a “unique” business idea and I was able to coin a perfect name for it. I was excited and had planned to discuss it with a friend of mine the next day. On my way to work the following morning, behold, I saw a branded dispatch bike for a business of the exact nature, and guess what….with the exact name I had in mind! I know in Naija, once a business starts booming, everyone ventures into it with different names. But believe you me, I hadn’t heard of any kind of business like it before the idea struck me. I don’t know Mr. Jude’s side of the story. But in my case, if I had discussed my business idea with my friend before I spotted the branded business bike, it would have been easy for me to assume that he shared or probably sold my idea to the other party without my consent, as opposed to mere coincidence. I honestly wouldn’t have accepted the excuse of “coincidence”. Could that have been the case of Mr. Jude in this scenario? Let’s all not forget that people are thinking these days. A little piece of advice for everyone though, if you have an idea, do something about it very quickly, cos chances are, you’re not the only one with such an idea in the world!

• kemi

March 26, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Not the same
      Bizz Ideas get released at the same time, only those who catch it will execute
      Even bizz names, have u ever tried to register a unique domain name to see it has been taken and u try 10 others and they are all gone.
      This is a movie script not a one liner..

• Kehinde

March 27, 2017 at 9:41 am

No. The truth is that God gives people ideas at the same time. It is a matter of who acts on it first. The same has happened to me. I never discussed with anyone. Only for me to see a Ghanaian with the same project ans a similar name. That made me realize that ideas are divine and it is a matter of who runs with the vision God has given first. The Wright brothers who first manufacture and flew the plane were said to not be the first with the idea. A man also had that same idea but never showed anyone. These brothers did and the world recognized them. I believe Omoni should pursue this issue cos av been waiting patiently to watch the movie

2. Nk

March 25, 2017 at 10:52 am

Why do I feel this is some acting and a bid to drum up publicity for this movie! Not impressed, if you have any issues with story writer, why not settle off screen!!!

• Rated

March 26, 2017 at 6:53 am

Are u just high? was going to explain to u but I just figured ur opinion matters nothing…

• Chris Bonnie

March 26, 2017 at 1:35 pm

What is happening is real. Jude had accused Omoni, since last year, of stealing his idea. According to Jude, he discussed the idea with Omoni and her husband wherein it was agreed that a fee of #750,000 would be paid for acquairing the script from Jude. Along the line, alleged by Jude, Omoni and her husband stopped communicating with him. Next thing, after some time, Jude said he heard about the production of the story. And when he made inquiries, he realized it was the same story he discussed with Omoni and her husband. Going further, Jude said this is not first time such a thing was happening, claiming that, Omoni’s 2014 film, BEING MISS ELLIOT, was also his idea.

I had expected that Omoni, since last year when that allegation was made, would’ve reached out to Jude with a view to setting things aright. But she obviously didn’t do it. Maybe she felt because the guy stays in far away Canada, she could get away with things here in Nigeria, just like in the case of BEING MISS ELLIOT, as alleged by Jude Idada. Sometimes, our so-called top celebrities are fond of ripping off people’s ideas and turning them into their own without paying or giving the writer credit for the intellectual work. I’m a screenwriter myself, and I support Jude Idada full time with this lawsuit. In case you don’t know, my name is CHRIS BONNIE, the writer of Africa Magic’s EVASION, directed by Uzodinma Okpechi, the writer of Africa Magic’s GLASS HOUSE, directed by Kabat Esosa Egbon, the writer of Africa Magic’s MYSTERY, directed by Tope Alake, the writer of Africa Magic’s MUTUAL SUSPICION, directed by Chris Eneaji, and very many more to list. Let Omoni go to court to prove Jude Idada wrong and claim damages if she felt her right was infringed upon with the court injunction. This is happening. THIS IS REAL.

– CHRIS BONNIE

3. Critique

March 25, 2017 at 11:28 am

The babe in pink just kept smiling. She didn’t get the memo that she was supposed to be sorrorowful, lol

• Ada_ugo

March 25, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Kemi Lala Akindoju… I don’t know much about her beyond her pictures I see at events… but this has made me like her much more. It’s nice to see people who find the strength and the positive in every scenario. It’s nice to be the face that people see through the haze of their tears and realise that just maybe beneath the cloud is a silver lining.

4. Zoba

March 25, 2017 at 11:29 am

Hahaha?? this looks like some bad acting. She’s hurt…I get that…and I’m sorry, but dang she’s such a bad actress being real looks bad. And yh I don’t believe her.

• Rated

March 26, 2017 at 7:08 am

I see clearly ur head is just to big and very empty for ur neck,maybe u should cut it off or reduce the size. Just so u know dey wer not running an audition for u 2 judge… U wud sure make a terrible judge big head..

5. Baby gurl

March 25, 2017 at 11:37 am

So heartbreaking. This has gingered me. When the movie finally shows I’m taking my entire street to watch it.

• ANGRY ME

March 25, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Ehhh!!! Who the movie epp!!!!

6. Tranquil

March 25, 2017 at 12:35 pm

What could be the Great story line of this long waited anticipated Movie?……. Jude Jude Jude!!!! , how many times did I call you….. Miss. Oboli not to worry this movie must be premiered….. Guaranteed and Assured ….. Like you said in your speech…*GOD IS ON THE THRONE*

7. Ify

March 25, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Our society will be a better place if we all play by the rules. I hope they resolve it amicably.

8. Beard gang

March 25, 2017 at 1:07 pm

If the Jude idada dude is wrong about his claims, omoni should counter-sue and get damages…I’m not moved by her crocodile tears…if its a publicity stunt, then it has to be the dumbest I’ve ever heard and seen…omoni, were you not aware of this legal wahala? Why didn’t you fix it before fixing a premiere date? Nigerians are slowly getting passed ‘sympathethic ineptitude’ …stop crying like a baby and explain to your fans in detail what went wrong …if I were there I’d have been pissed off …omoni, considering your reputation this was shameful and ill-planned …fix this!

• Eliot

March 26, 2017 at 12:28 am

Did you listen properly. ?
      How come we no longer have compassion in us

• 2pac

March 26, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Since after she went to Jonathan aso rock naked, I started having my reservation for this lady

9. Anonymous

March 25, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Shedding tears is not necessarily a sign of innocence. The guy even said on his wiki page that her “Being Mrs Elliot” was stolen from him. Intellectual property is real property. It’s not just house or lands that are property. For those who said the guy is some unknown, unemployed nobody, the internet is your research ally and tool. He is a theatre arts graduate of UI who is Canadian Nigerian with several screen plays and movies to his credit. I’m not taking sides but we must all learn to give honor to whom it is due especially if this is not her first time and he just overlooked the previous one. He claimed to have sat across the table to go over the story and was supposed to receive his signed contract back. It never happened. Let’s all do some research so as a society we celebrate the right people even if they are not on blogs everyday and don’t get an invite to Aso Rock to screen movies within crediting the other team members.

The reason Hollywood is wealthy is that there are many well paid professionals, not actresses donning the toga of I’m everything. Same with healthcare ( like 50 decent professions) and other fields. If we must copy America we should copy them accurately. No curses or uncouth comments on my view as it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. What I’m not entitled to is the facts.

• Rated

March 26, 2017 at 7:14 am

U wud make a good judge sweetheart, very define comment u’av got up der.U said it best.

10. Anonymous

March 25, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I meant to write “without crediting the other team members “

11. Titanium

March 25, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I watched the video and wasn’t moved at all, even Mrs Akpotha was giving a sheepish smile. I repeat Jude idada is not just your average writer, go and check his previous works you’ll understand, of all movies is it just omoni oboli this man decided to attack?? Think. When he accused her last year of this issue, why didn’t she come out to give a robust reply??? She didn’t take him serious, rather she ignored, I read an interview where he said he ignored her during TIFF because he felt it will portray Nigeria in the wrong light and will make them pull the movie off TIFF, hence his reason for contacting his lawyer. Omoni my advice to you, settle this man, if you really had dealings with him, and if truly you never had anything to do with him, then face him squarely….

12. Ruby

March 25, 2017 at 9:47 pm

How is this acting? You people sha…. not an atom of sympathy in your bones at all. I just wish she had addressed this matter when it first happened and not left it to fester. She should have nipped it at the bud and not decided to ignore him. Well I wish her the best as she gets out of the quagmire

13. Rated

March 26, 2017 at 6:58 am

Are u just high? Acting bawo? Just figured ur opinion matters nothing..so ur free to tink dummy