News

12-year Old Dies in Hospital after he was Abducted & Raped Repeatedly for 2 Weeks by Tea Seller in Niger

The deceased

The police has vowed to re-arraign one Abubakar, a tea seller in Ngwayanma, in the Kontagora area of Niger State, after he was sentenced to one month imprisonment and N30,000 fine for raping a 12-year old boy, Aminu.

The decision came after the victim died at a hospital last week.

Abubakar, who is also called Maishai, was said to have abducted the victim from his parents in March and raped him several times for two weeks until another neighbour, who noticed raised alarm.

When the police came to arrest Abubakar, the found the victim looking pale and sick. He was then rushed to the hospital where he died some days later.

Abubakar’s arraignment and sentencing happened before the deceased death.

Narrating what happened to PUNCH, a resident said:

The boy’s parents suddenly discovered that he was missing and asked for his whereabouts from his friends, who denied knowledge of his whereabouts. Afterwards, a case of abduction was reported to the police. That was early March.

A man alerted us two weeks later that he saw Aminu with Maishai (Abubakar). The suspect initially denied that the boy was in his custody. The boy was later found in his apartment in a critical condition. He looked tired and pale. Maishai confessed he had sex with him several times.

The police were called to arrest him and Aminu was rushed to a hospital. He eventually died last week. The parents do not want to talk about the incident for now; they are devastated.

The state’s Police PRO, DSP Elkana James, who confirmed the report added that Abubakar will be arraigned for culpable homicide soon.

“Our legal team is reviewing the sentence. When the suspect was charged to court, the boy was not dead. So, he was charged with abduction and unnatural offences.

He and the boy, aged 12, lived within the same vicinity. He abducted him for two weeks and abused him during the period.

Now that the boy is dead, we have a liberty to charge him with culpable homicide. That will be an additional charge.

He is still in prison, serving the one month’s imprisonment. Once the new charge is filed, he would be reproduced to take his plea,” James said.

1. The Real Oma

April 4, 2017 at 11:49 am

” one month imprisonment and N30,000 fine” for raping a girl of 12.
    I love my country but sometimes i really hate it.
    The hate is happening more often now.

• cy

April 4, 2017 at 12:06 pm

It was a boy… just imagine that!!! 1 month for raping a minor as if rape is not bad enough, you rape a child and only get a slap on the wrist! This is sickening

• Jezebel

April 4, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I hope is a**e is used as a dart ? board/ pin cushion in jail.

• The Real Oma

April 4, 2017 at 2:43 pm

boy o jare,
      I really couldn’t bring myself to read the full story.
      Too disheartening.

• TM David-West

April 4, 2017 at 12:12 pm

It’s a boy. And one month + #30,000 is just a joke. No real justice in Nigeria

2. Corolla

April 4, 2017 at 12:04 pm

This is sickening. Rest in peace little one.

3. TM David-West

April 4, 2017 at 12:10 pm

He got just one month for raping a 12 year old boy? What is wrong with our justice system for heaven’s sake?

Gosh, this is so heartrending. What a horrible experience for that boy! And for him to have died from it?

God!

4. COMMENTER

April 4, 2017 at 12:59 pm

N30,000 ONLY and one month jail sentence???!!! Unbelievable. The man RAPED a minor! This just tells us how broken our justice system is and the lack of seriousness attached to rape crimes.

I cannot imagine the kind of mental, physical and emotional damage that poor boy went through.

This man is a sick monster and our justice system is an overwhelming disappointment!

5. Sheri

April 4, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Do we really have leaders? Like do we really? I doubt. And all the wives of these men or women in the senate, that sit in high places haven’t taken it upon themselves to FIGHT for a harsher punishment for all these animals roaming our streets! Women that are supposed to be more emotionally engulfed in these kind of stories. I promise with all I have to stand for this cause until something changes. I keep hearing of these kind of stories daily and nothing being done about them. Why can’t the sentencing be as harsh of murder. Does anybody know the actual effect of rape on people? It’s as bad as murder! I am so so so sick of this. Honestly I am sick to my stomach.

6. Vibe

April 4, 2017 at 1:07 pm

1 month and 30k for kidnapping and raping a minor. Chai

7. Spunky

April 4, 2017 at 1:36 pm

This is sick! I wish they put a face to his name…let him be sort out and castrated.

8. Scarlet Xianne

April 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

I teared up reading this. Such a sad story. Was already saying a prayer for the boy, then I got to the part where it said he died. This just spoilt my day.

9. funmilola

April 4, 2017 at 3:49 pm

this are the ones that should be forever locked up in jail, what sort of quack judgement is this?

10. OMG

April 4, 2017 at 3:59 pm

NO! NO! NO! WHAT IS THIS???????

30k + one month pere! This is cannot be real!

So it’s until the minor died that they’ve come back to their senses?

11. Diamond

April 4, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Stupid people runing affairs in every corner of this country! I’m so angry right now. What gibberish is this fool called p.r.o talking on behalf of his co-foolish colleagues and bosses? Evil people! They are acting serious cos they have been busted because the boy died. If the boy survived that devil would be walking free after a month. Jesus! After raping and molesting a 12 year old! Did they ever stop to think if it were their own son? No, when they don’t even think because of N20.

Will Nigeria ever be good? I very much doubt!

BN, post my comment.

12. Marian

April 4, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Can the name of the judge who sentenced the guy be released? He’s either another pedophile or was bribed by the guy.

13. Udegbunam Chukwudi

April 4, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Senators will not act on pedophilia because religion and culture. It is well. E reach for all pedophiles to relocate to the north where they can get easy jail terms if caught. #RIP ???

14. Pd

April 4, 2017 at 6:22 pm

If only someone can abduct him …tie him up and throw him into a soakaway alive ehn….sick sick sickkkkkkkk animal.

15. Papermoon

April 4, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Which judge gave that sentence?

16. john

April 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm

just one month..if I am the father of this boy..I will stalk and personally kill this deranged pedophile with my bare hands ..consequences be damned.. I have been saying this over and over ..it is time Nigerians start protecting the children ..they are the ones that need real protection and NGO fumding

17. Okoro Elizabeth

April 5, 2017 at 6:26 am

I can’t even type ‘RIP’ child… It is anger I feel. Lawd!
    It is this same people that have Sharia law that executes a cheating married woman, cut off the arm when one steals, cut off the leg when ones is caught wearing a mini skirt.
    Now it’s 1month imprisonment and 30k for rape of a minor. How will this not encourage more rape??? Daris god

18. Madam peace

April 5, 2017 at 9:17 am

Children are being brain washed Every day in our society. Who knows what the useless man was telling him that made the BOY not to run away from his place since they live in the same area. This is abuse of minor. The judge, the prosecutor and whoever that gave that judgement of 30, 000 and one month jail term should be prosecuted and sentence to years in prison. Children are minor, they can’t make decisions, we should be their strength. Judiciary system should be a strong ground for children protection not to give fair trial to whoever that abuses a child of 0 year to 18 years.

19. Purple

April 5, 2017 at 10:23 am

I saw the senate trying to pass a bill to prohibit tribal marks when the laws on rape in Nigeria are absolutely sickening. Rapists get released on bail and what not when we should be hanging all of them or at least locking them up for the rest of their lives for the monsters they have been. My heart aches whenever I see stories like this because of how lightly this is being taken by the authorities and the society. We need to stand up and do something about this rape thing because it is getting out of hand and if not for selfless reasons lets do it for selfish ones because tomorrow it may be your child, sister, relative or friend. I hope his parents find some closure and I hope justice is served. Sleep well dear boy and in peace you shall rest, Ameen..

• The Real Oma

April 5, 2017 at 10:37 am

So true Purple, my sentiments exactly.

20. Dlapikin

April 6, 2017 at 12:11 am

The rape culture in Nigeria is sickening!
    How can someone get only one month in jail for rape? Then on top of it the victim is a minor? Would that judge render the same type of punishment if the victim was his son?
    In two days this is the third story I read involving rape, out of which two involved minors. Yesterday, it was the corper whom student was gang raped by her classmates after they went on a binge drinking spree. Today, before this story, I was reading about the woman that was drugged and raped by her friend’s husband while the friend taped and then released it online.
    Whatever happened to that guy posted in Edo who was bragging on twitter about sexually abusing elementary school girls entrusted to his care a couple of months ago ?
    Something very drastic needs to happen in the Nigerian law to protect the victims and punish culprits so that people stop treating rape as a benign crime.

21. adukeologe

April 6, 2017 at 4:24 am

One month and N30k for raping a minor for 2 weeks straight. ?? I am in shock. Why then would rape ever stop?