Connect with us


Aunty Bella: Mr. Tempted to Run Abroad



Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers.
We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

Hello BellaNaija family, a female friend introduced me to this platform and said I will get candid good advice from you all, due to BellaNaija’s diverse and well exposed readers. So please feel free to be as open as possible.

My name is Chibuzor, I am single man, in my mid 30s and currently work gainfully employed.
I am currently done with Nigeria and the daily we face. It is so bad that sometimes I am tempted to just run away to the US on a tourist visa and stay back but I feel that is a dumb move.

My plan is to kill two birds with a stone; Travel out of the country to further my studies with the hope of staying back to work (Wherever I study and hopefully get a resident permit). However, I have a few concerns:
1. I have a Higher National Diploma; What country and school will be advisable, considering I have interests in Business & Management? Also, at what level do I start since I have a good number of years, when it comes to work experience?

2. I will be sponsoring myself 100%, so I need a school that is quite affordable? How much do you think that will cost me too? Specific schools and amount in Naira (NGN) will go a long way to help me plan.

3. Bearing in mind that I will love to stay back to work and get a resident permit? What country or countries fit this picture?

Thank you all BellaNaija people *Gracias*

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline


  1. Turnt

    April 10, 2017 at 4:16 pm

    You should go to Canada, after your masters program (assuming that is what you are going to study) you can apply for an express entry visa. I will like to advise you to remain in Nigeria but I cannot think of anything positive to say about the country at this moment tbh

    • Loh

      April 10, 2017 at 7:11 pm

      Since you have years of work experience, check out Canada’s Express Entry. You might be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker program. You can come as a PR, then plan to study when you settle in (you pay less tuition as a PR)

    • Addy

      April 11, 2017 at 12:00 am

      There is nothing like express entry visa. Guess you meant to say Permanent residency. Of course, that’s a good option if the writer intends to stay back. Applying for PR also doesnt come easy. All the best to the writer

    • Faithoverfear

      April 12, 2017 at 1:55 am

      My advice is DON’T go to the UK. Don’t even think about it, there is no hope. I studied in the UK for my masters, returned back into Nigeria & I have been jobless now for 2 years. I regret schooling in the UK, zero job prospects. It pains me so much because I know my worth.

  2. T

    April 10, 2017 at 4:21 pm

    Hey, I’ll be glad to help or refer you to people who can. Although most of them are in the US on student visas. Especially in these Trump times, you want to be in good immigration standing if you’re considering the US. Email me and we can communicate further. [email protected]

  3. Deleke

    April 10, 2017 at 4:22 pm

    Bro, find an akata on tinder, that lives in states like Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi or North Carolina, befriend her and then go over to visit her after 6 months. Tell her how ‘Africa’ is so difficult and u wanna stay with her. Better still, knock her up and then suggest u can’t leave your child. Then go to a county house, get married before a judge, $35 you get your marriage license and then apply for work permit. You are on your path.

    Pls please do not let your tourist visa run out, and since you have built the relationship before even arriving in the country, you guys will look legit when u apply for your green card. If u need more advise hit me up, this is not the best place for me to drop the whole knowledge to u.

    • HMMMM

      April 10, 2017 at 5:16 pm

      “TWALE”….. ahan! these ones have mastered how to work the system…… #wehdonesir

    • Richie

      April 10, 2017 at 6:24 pm

      Come and see master mind??. You even everything planned out wow. Made it sound so easy too.

    • Big Tee

      April 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm

      Actually Deleke’s route works…. it is just the hustler’s route, it can go both ways (not 100% certain), I’d rather you go to Canada through a post graduate diploma course, and then, follow the legal path to residency…. wherever you go, please avoid U.K and European/Southern Cyprus, they’ll take your time and money and then systematically block your path to residency.

    • naana

      April 11, 2017 at 12:35 am

      What about Spain? Is getting residency easy?

    • Papacy

      April 10, 2017 at 10:12 pm

      Osheyyyyyy! After you na you.

    • @Deleke

      April 11, 2017 at 12:40 am

      Deleke abeg ejoo hit me up… [email protected] Thank you.

    • Mairo

      April 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm

      Hi Deleke kindly drop your contact for further questioning please

    • Gia

      April 11, 2017 at 4:21 pm


    • lmao

      April 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

      hahaha you good…you drop hints some are afraid to say.

    • bee

      April 12, 2017 at 10:35 am

      You be correct badoo. that your wifey wey come visit you from NY wey you use all teh antics for, na this way you get am too?

  4. kila

    April 10, 2017 at 4:26 pm

    anywhere but the United kingdom

  5. Johnn

    April 10, 2017 at 4:39 pm

    @deleke myyy nigga..u know whatsup

  6. Ebony

    April 10, 2017 at 5:01 pm

    Since you have an HND. You can study a top up degree course which will be for one year. Try and see if you can undertake a top up course in Canada or America or Sweden or Netherlands.
    I wouldn’t advice you to stay illegally in a country.

  7. Sugamama

    April 10, 2017 at 5:22 pm

    I had to refresh the page because I was certain Deleke’s advice was a joke.
    I don’t think it makes sense to leave where you are now to go and be hiding from authorities in another country. If you haven’t been keeping up with the news, go and do so. Now is not the time to be an illegal immigrant.

    As far as where to go, I’ll say Canada. They have one of the more reasonable paths to citizenship. Start there. Some European countries like Sweden and the Netherlands (fact check this) do have ways for you to go to school for free, I’m just not certain about their paths to citizenship or even getting a work permit.

    Sha, this is not the time to be doing shady things to stay in another person’s country. Do yourself a favor.

  8. Miami Vice

    April 10, 2017 at 5:46 pm

    With ur HND u can apply to NYU for a business course

    • Chibuzor

      April 11, 2017 at 1:42 pm

      Hi MV,
      Are there opportunities to stay back and work?
      Also, how much will this cost?

  9. The Bull

    April 10, 2017 at 6:15 pm

    This is the best time to come to Canada. See the best path here, study a 4 semester course – get a 2 to 3-year work permit as a result – get one year experience in your field – apply through skilled entry for your permanent resident (like a green card), this is what i did.

  10. john

    April 10, 2017 at 9:07 pm

    do anybody about is it in regards to job opportunities after masters

    • Really

      April 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm

      John? Msc.? With your grammar that gives me headache? You better me asking for a friend.

    • Chichi

      April 11, 2017 at 10:30 pm

      Are u going 2 Ireland for your masters

  11. Florence

    April 11, 2017 at 1:06 am

    Chibuzor should definitely consider Canada as he would be able to complete a post graduate diploma in a Business related program after which he will qualify for a post graduate work permit that will allow him work in Canada. While he is studying, he can also work maximum of 20 hours per week and full time on holidays. After His degree and he has worked for 1 year, he will be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class. Therefore, Canada is definitely and option to consider for hardworking individuals like Chibuzor. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to assist through the process. Or visit our website for more information on education and immigrating to Canada.

    • Addy

      April 19, 2017 at 11:38 pm

      The only way he can apply using the Canadian Expericence Class Program is if he gets a job related to what he studied in class. Best you make that clear before you mislead people to believing otherwise.

  12. Chichi

    April 11, 2017 at 10:40 pm

    Canadian ni Canada na. Is not as easy as painted. First,there is now high rate of rejection especially for post graduate diploma and certificate. Second, never go through an agent for Canadian visa, dey will rip u dry. Am not trying to discourage you but want u to be prepared bcos all dis agent can lie for Africa. If you want free information on Canadian admission and visa, visit the Canadian thread on nairaland. You can also consider Australia, dey have similar PR scheme to Canada for students. Goodluck

    • Addy

      April 19, 2017 at 11:43 pm

      Thank you Chichi oo. Love your comment. The information about migrating to Canada is all on their website. Check Please don’t allow any one rip you off. As a matter of fact, if its about migrating through express entry, you don’t any immigration lawyer or an agent (they are only there to make money out of you). Its pretty straightforward except of course, your situation is a very complicated one. is also a good website to check out. All the best with everything.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa

Star Features