News

A First-Time Mother Died at FMC Asaba after Delivering Twin Girls – Her Husband’s Heartbreaking Story

A Facebook user Kay Lord has shared a heartbreaking story of how a man lost his wife at Federal Medical Centre (FMC).

According to the husband, after his wife was delivered of twins through Cesarean Section, she needed more blood. The husband said he had earlier paid for two or three pints of blood but it was denied her.

He said he arrived at the hospital the next morning following his wife’s call. He narrated how his wife died because the hospital staff refused to carry out blood transfusion on her until they see proof of payment.

MY STORY – By the husband of the deceased.

On Monday the 6th of March, my wife who was pregnant went for anti natal at Federal Medical Center FMC Asaba, and the Doctor who she was assign to and who has earlier confirm my wife’s Expected Date of Delivery (EDD) to be 19th March, 2017 discovered her blood pressure BP was a little above normal, then the doctor said she will be admitted so they can monitor her BP till the next day. When I came back from site, I drove to the hospital to pick my wife and she told me her doctor has said she will be admitted, I requested to see the doctor but to no avail, so she took me to the nurses who ask if I am the husband and I said yes,

They brought my wife antenatal file, took us to the pay point collected ten 10 thousand Naira from me as deposit fee and after she has paid she took us to the O and G ward were my wife was finally admitted. I called my in-law who was already in Asaba from Imo state for her first omugwor to came and stay with her daughter, but my wife objected that the hospital environment may not be conducive for the mother and that she will not be permitted to sleep inside the ward. So we stay with her till 9pm and left as the nurses were beginning to lock the doors.

On Tuesday 7th of March, i ask my inlaw to go and join my wife as I went to site very early. When I came back around 12noon, I rush to the hospital to check on my wife, I met my wife passing through a severe intense pain and her stomach was moving up and down and she was shouting I ask her what the problem was, and she said she was INDUCED. I didn’t know what it means to be induced because this is our first pregnancy, but the agony my wife was going through was beyond normal so I requested to see the Doctor all effort was futile. I was very angry, why will they do this to my wife I ask, you told me they were admitting her for BP.

Nurses were complaining that I was disturbing the ward, they also said my wife will soon deliver. I had some survey plans to produce so I left to come back later, when I came back in the evening, my wife couldn’t stand up again from the hospital bed, the pains has increased, I insisted I was going to talk with her. When she came out, she told me they INDUCED her the second time. The first INDUCTION failed and the doctor, Dr. Ojenuwa instructed she should be induced the second time. I was mad. I looked for the doctor but he was nowhere to be found. All these were done without my consent; I waited till 10pm if I could see the doctor but he never showed up so I left.

The next day Wednesday 8th of March, my in-law called me to come immediately for my wife have been booked for emergency Cesarean Section, and that the doctor is requesting for an astral pint of blood, I quickly made calls to the laboratory department who helped made the blood available before I arrive the hospital. When I got there, my wife had already been prepared and place on top of a wheel bed. They asked me to sign; I read and signed, prayed for my wife with my pastor who prayed through the phone. For more than 30 minutes, the nurses kept jesting and my wife was still in that pain, shouting on top of the wheel bed. I was worried, then I ask why the delay? No answer. I kept asking them until one man standing and talking with them got concerned and said ‘who is (this) woman?’ This woman’s issue is more critical and urgent than the person inside the theater. He then instructed that my wife should be moved into the theater while the person inside should be moved out as her case is not as serious as my wife, but the nurses refused. He continued saying that he will not leave a serious and urgent situation and start to work on an unserious one.

At that point, I notice the person talking is a doctor by name Dr. Longway, who is working under the supervision of a consultant named Dr. Maduakor who happens to be our private family doctor, Dr. Maduakor also knows the history of the pregnancy as we have also been visiting his private hospital from day one. When I got to know that Dr. Maduakor is the consultant to supervise the operation from the nurses, I was happy, I quickly called him to come that my wife is the person they were calling him for but he never came. After 20 minutes I called him the second time, he never came.

Though finally, Dr. Longway conducted the operation and it was very successful, I donated two pints of blood as we were instructed during antenatal orientations. After the surgery, my wife needed a little medical attention and support, just like every other woman in her condition, two or three pints of blood which I had earlier paid for, but was denied her by the wicked Nigeria Doctors and Nurses at Federal Medical Centre, Asaba.

The doctor on duty said they were waiting for instructions from the higher consultant Dr. Maduakor after they have informed him of the situation. The higher consultant happens to be my family doctor but was angry because we didn’t come to his private hospital for delivery. Yes, because I called him on two occasions to come help the situation but he never showed up. Therefore, the instructions never came and the junior doctors and nurses were watching my wife till she passed on.

Early morning on Thursday, 9th march my wife called me by 4.52am to come immediately so I can help her, when I got there, she was left alone as the wicked Nigeria doctors and nurses were all sitting carelessly watched her struggle with the oxygen that was fixed on her and calling for help because of her new babies  Her mother was highly restricted from entering the ward according to FMC Asaba tradition.

What is happening? I shouted, one useless nurse shouted back, are you not the husband? Go and pay for blood. My wife was shouting, heartbeat please come and help me with the oxygen she was trying to push into her nose. I was in the middle of different decision, please put blood, I pleaded, but they refuse that I should go and pay and bring receipt first. Quickly rush to pay within 7 to 10 minutes, only to come and met my wife lifeless……. So sad!

This is after she has delivered a twin; two beautiful girls the previous day. This is my present predicament. MY WIFE DID NOT DIE, MY WIFE WAS KILLED by some wicked and heartless humans who claim to be Doctors and nurses at O and G ward FMC Asaba after I have paid for everything that was needed. This is our 9th month of marriage; our wedding was on the 11th June, 2016.

1. Spunky

April 7, 2017 at 7:14 am

SMH! I’m so sorry you lost her…the annoying part is that, her death could have been avoided. If you ever had an emergency situation in FMC Asaba, you will believe his story.

• nene+

April 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

Completely heart broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      FMC Asaba should be shut!!!!
      Several instances of avoidable death going on in that place.
      The other day it was Eric, then a day old baby, and now this . Where is the commissioner of health???

2. Preciousgirl

April 7, 2017 at 7:21 am

This same Asaba? This is the 3rd death now due to negligence. The Minster of Health should better stand up from that his chair in Abuja and go and do something. That place is a high-risk area.

3. Me

April 7, 2017 at 7:30 am

Please take this issue up with the medical ttribunal of the medical and dental council of nigeria.I can assure you that those doctors will be punished.How on earth can you induce a woman and leave her? If induction fails,you do an emergency cesarean section for failed induction not a repeat induction.The woman might have had a uterine rupture.Pls sir,its very sad situation and this death could have been preventable.sorry for your loss and please take this issue up.

• Uberhaute looks

April 7, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Dearie, I was induced and left alone for 3 hours although the doc warned me that the nurses are seriously mad and wouldn’t attend to me; exactly that happened and it was only the doc that continued attending to me till he made it important for us to do Cs. That’s Garki Hospital in Abuja…..
      I still say it, all these Nurses and doctors still need courses in care giving, not just seeing human beings as specimen.

4. Doubra

April 7, 2017 at 7:36 am

God will surly judge them, I cried after reading this, I kwn d feelings, that was how I lost my brother @ FMC yenagoa. Becos of their carelessness. It is well with u, God will fight this battle for u. May ur wife’s soul rest in peace.

5. Disguised

April 7, 2017 at 7:47 am

SoOoooooooo oooo oooo sad!! I dont think we have HUMAN BEINGS working at the hospital oo. Seriously speaking. Ah ah

It’s not all about money, save a life first please.

6. Clara Udeh

April 7, 2017 at 8:14 am

Omg…now with stories like this do you blame those who leave for overseas to have their babies?!…it will never be well with those nurses..even when the said doc is upset they didnt use his private hospital should they not have pity for their fellow woman?!…omGod..please fight for this man n his children…#wickedworld

• Nuna

April 7, 2017 at 8:24 am

Exactly! I will continue going abroad to have my babies, I cannot subject myself to such wickedness! I had this exact situation with my first child, I needed blood transfusion after CS. No questions were asked, nobody complained of payment. The most important thing was to save my life first. I am very grateful for the kind of expert care I got. I pray God gives this man the fortitude to bear this loss. This is so sad

7. onyi

April 7, 2017 at 8:41 am

i had a similar experience @ upth, portharcourt. during my 3rd pregnancy after emergency cs
    i was so weak and my blood level was so low and the still refused to transfuse so that the can sell the blood after, when a consultant intervened the said the have transfused and i have to use everything to fight till i was transfused.

8. Bleed Blue

April 7, 2017 at 8:44 am

I don’t know if the medical personnel in Nigeria have seen so many deaths that they become desensitized but the way they’re prone to casual behaviour during a patient’s critical issue is something else.

My Dad was admitted in a private hospital. I went to see him and the doctor and 2 nurses assigned to him were sitting in his room, having such a great time, laughing and chatting. I sat beside Dad and noticed he’d gone blind. I informed them and they said no he’s fine. I first begged and then eventually screamed at them to check. They reluctantly did and said “it’s like you’re right oh, let’s call the consultant”.

Mobile phones weren’t common at the time. Rushed home to tell mum and we came back an hour later and Dad had died.

Only God knows the sequence of events during that hour.
    If they were in the same room with him and didn’t even notice he had deteriorated to blindness, I just tire for our medical people. Sorry for the epistle. This story opened old wounds.

RIP to this poor woman. I feel so so sorry for the twin girls…them having to grow up without their mother was completely avoidable. 🙁

9. Zedzed

April 7, 2017 at 8:54 am

This is a horrible story that is unfortunately recurrent. Deaths that are avoidable but keep arriving due to negligence. What boils my blood are comments saying “it is well” “God will fight for you” when obviously it is NOT WELL and GOD will not come down from heaven to fight for anybody.
    Please sue. SUE these hospitals. fight them with the little arms we have. If they have to pay for their negligence, hospital closes down from using their money to pay compensation and doctors and nurses going to jail for manslaughter, they will wake up.
    When there are immediate consequences for actions, people do better. Not waiting for a hypothetical hell when they die.

10. keke driver

April 7, 2017 at 9:02 am

I have said it here countless times how FMC Asaba is a death trap… at least i’ve been there, the nurses are soooo rude, for no reason, it took me four hours to see an idiotic doctor just for a test….OMG So this woman just died like that? ehn

11. kay

April 7, 2017 at 9:41 am

Too sad! Pls NGOs should fight this. How can people be so callous with the life of a person.

• Mee

April 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm

NGOs or Nigerian citizens should fight this?
      It’s up to us, the citizens, the fight. We can not wait for others to fight for us.
      There should be a series of protests outside the hospital and the state ministry of health until something is done.

12. i love my husband

April 7, 2017 at 9:54 am

Why cant people sue the hell out of all these hospitals and let them pay through their noses. What does the Ministry of health do when they hear about these issues? Apparently, the whole system is corrupt, from education to health to banking etc. Nigeria is a very sad country. And its like this in most hospitals, the negligence of nurses and doctors is alarming, they practically look and wait until people die.

13. Roy

April 7, 2017 at 10:10 am

Those nurses and doctors should be shot one by one. FMC Asaba Doctors and nurses ESP are very nonchalant

14. Ss

April 7, 2017 at 10:22 am

Kai so sad.. the things people get away with in Nigeria is beyond abnormal

15. Aggrieved Dr

April 7, 2017 at 10:43 am

I am a doctor in this country and I’m terribly saddened by your experience. They did not need the consultant to be present physically before ordering the transfusion. Any of the other doctors could Have initiated the process and then informed him on phone.
    He was angry you didn’t come to deliver at his hospital? What does that mean?
    Prior to surgery, they usually insist that blood be made available because some people even require transfusion while still on the operating table.
    My point is, they didn’t need to wait for you to show up at whatever time to transfuse someone who had lost so much blood and needed oxygen therapy.
    They were negligent in this and someone needs to be held accountable.
    Your wife deserved to have been here to nurse her babies.
    I hope you seek legal redress and may God comfort you.

16. Ice Princess

April 7, 2017 at 10:50 am

As usual,they will be silent. about such an important issue. I wonder what kind of government we have in this country.

17. Corolla

April 7, 2017 at 11:12 am

I am speechless. Nigeria is a shame. Nigeria has failed it’s people. I am so so heartbroken about all the atrocities that are being reported. From the one-month sentence of a peadophile murderer, to the three QC girls murdered by the ministry and their principal, to the day old baby that died, to this beautiful mom who will never get to see her twins grow. I am angry!

18. kenechukwu

April 7, 2017 at 12:01 pm

been there,seen it all….the nurses are rude beyond human imagination……..

19. Naijababeii

April 7, 2017 at 12:09 pm

SUE ALL OF DEM. DEM PAPA KIA FROM D CONSULTANT THAT REFUSE TO PICK UR CALLS COS OF JEALOUSY TO THE NURSES/DOCS DAT ARE AFTER MONEY AND WATCHING DSTV IN THE HOSPITAL

20. Orienma

April 7, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Medical practice isn’t just enough to be called a Doctor/nurse, Deep Human relations and Care inclusive. If you do not have human passion and sympathy ;for me, do not take up such disciplines. It takes passion,love,patience, kindness, above all zeal to save lives to be a good health practitioner. My condolences sir. Take it to the highest level you can. God please take care of the twins. I weep!

21. Eka Emem

April 7, 2017 at 4:22 pm

This is so sad to hear, but it was only a matter of time. No doctor for Emergency obstetric cases even after I complained of vomiting and stooling for 48 hours straight at 31 weeks. No doctor, no empathy, NOTHING!! I got to the hospital at 8:30 am and was not seen by any doctor even till a few minutes after noon.When I got tired of waiting, I had to call my husband from work to come take me to the private hospital I registered at. I eventually got a call at a few minutes to 6 pm same day that ” Where was I, doctor don come”!

The HCPs at FMC Asaba need – as a matter of urgency- Education in “Patient-Centered Care”.

My heart bleeds for the beautiful baby girls who will never get to meet their mother.

22. cynthia

April 7, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I am so sorry for your loss… May the almighty God be your strength. Please be strong for the girls…

I am so heart broken when I see your post. I had c section (Canada) and I know the pain she must have been going through. Anytime my family visit Nigeria I refuse to go to hospital or take medicine(fake) because of this act from the hospital. My auntie was having headaches the last time she visited Nigeria, I just booked emergency flight for her return to Canada. I am not ready for burial. I don’t know when the youths will demand BASIC things of life from their government (water, good road, security, light, health care)…Don’t tell me only developed countries provided these things South Africa does. I have travel to Cape Town several times and I visited their hospital. It’s free even for foreigners (tourists) they served breakfast for everyone at the reception

23. vi

April 9, 2017 at 12:53 am

its not about hospital or nurses and doctors, its about nigerian attitudes, bankers, teachers every sector lack care, even a servant still dont care.
    Alot of frustration and frustrated people everywhere.
    RIP fine woman.
    Quiet a loss.

24. Brunoslim

April 9, 2017 at 2:04 pm

So so so sorry for the loss sir. But i hope we understand what it means to be “induced a second time”. Was it that a second dose of the medication was inserted? Or that a second session of induction of labour was commenced after 24hrs of the first? Coz that doesn’t happen…and I doubt if this was what was done (in a training center like an FMC). Induction of lab our fails after 24hrs of commencement (total of 4doses of the medication inserted through the vagina 6hourly). After which a caeser is the next option.

25. Bakare Segun

April 9, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Avoidable death in a tertiary care center.
    It is just unimaginable that such callousnesss could still be visited on Nigerians.
    This is government-backed wanton loss. It must be logically followed up for redress and deterrence.

26. Od

April 21, 2017 at 11:00 am

Asemota. Shutting ur obviously very wide mouth is an honourable option. I advise u take it.

27. Od

April 21, 2017 at 11:06 am

I had my dauta in FMC Asaba in 2014 and I can feel all that this young man is saying. The nurses, one particular doctor who is even a woman, insulted me all thru my labor even though I was never rude to any of dem in my pain. Wen eventually I was to b operated upon, dey moved around like snails till a very wonderful young MALE doctor came to my rescue, moving like lightening….wheeled me to d theatre himself where I met anoda very rude theatre nurse, Laweretta. I thank God who saved me. Trust me, majority of d doctors and nurses in FMC Asaba are terrible. No milk of human compassion in them. May God never allow our lives to depend on their kindness for we will b lost. God forbid!