BN TV

“Every other continent is laughing at us” – Jidenna speaks on “African Time” | Watch

BN TV

Nigerian-American rapper, Jidenna was billed to perform at the One Africa Music Fest that was held in the UK over the weekend. However, he was unable to perform due to time constraints.

Speaking to Factory78 TV, he explained that the notion of “African Time” is something we as Africans should learn to do without if we want to become great again. The “Classic Man” crooner stated categorically that all other continents make fun of Africans for their inability to keep to time. He also revealed that he is still awaiting an official apology from the organizers of the event.

Watch the video below:

1. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 16, 2017 at 9:55 am

Jidenna, you stated some time ago that you grew up in Enugu

Please did you at any time attend school in Enugu?

Nigeria is known for many years; for keeping Nigerian time

Because all other African countries may be punctual, and not Nigeria

Let them laugh at us 🙂

Our money doesn’t laugh at them

Thank you for letting the organizers know they should apologise to Jidenna

• kuku

May 16, 2017 at 10:08 am

nwayo kwa lol.

• Agu

May 16, 2017 at 10:42 am

Jidenna is right so shut up our lateness to everything is the reason we are going through difficult situation all the time we delay doing everything and you want to make it cool? Shame on you.

• Memoir

May 16, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Ifeyinwa which money? Can you use a public toilet in Nigeria? Can you access quality health care in a time of emergency? Do any of your Int airports have wi-fi? How much electricity does your country of over 180million ppl generate in a day for its ppl? Una get train? Etc etc …So what is the essence of the money you are talking abt? You need to wake up….Nigeria is highly over exagerated especially in the mind of Nigerians….Everytime you ppl start saying money which money bikonu smh

• Serously

May 16, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Nigeria is known for that but it’s NOT excusable. Forget about the world laughing but aren’t Nigerians/Africans tired of presenting mediocrity, prancing around with degrees, money but lack in so many basic things. The world is advancing and Africa is way backward and behind for a continent that should be ahead if only they get their shit together.

This type of behavior shows you don’t respect yourself and other people’s time.
      Jidenna, thanks for calling them out. Nigerians are so used to dysfunctional behavior that it’s a norm to them.

• June

May 16, 2017 at 2:04 pm

You woke up, looked at yourself in the mirror and decided to be plain stupid ,didn’t you?

• John Q

May 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm

You sound like a freaking idiot!! SMDH

2. Love

May 16, 2017 at 10:22 am

I just hope he collected his money sha because he’s right – the show was supposed to start at 7pm and didn’t start until like 8:30pm!!! As a matter of fact, the lesser known artists were performing for like 20-30 mins and then the bigger ones only did like 5-10 mins! Then I found out that while Tiwa and Davido were supposed to be at the venue already, Tiwa’s makeup was only halfway done and Davido was chilling with friends! At like 9/10pm!!! Then when they came on stage you could tell (especially with Tiwa) that they did NOT rehearse! I was sooo disappointed! People like Falz and Awilo clearly rehearsed unlike other artists *rolls eyes*.

‘African time’ is no excuse for such rubbish that happened on Saturday – it was just plain unprofessional! I hope Wembley Arena charged the organisers DOUBLE for going way over the time!

3. whocares

May 16, 2017 at 10:27 am

I almost cried when I realised I would miss this concert, and the reason was because OlaJidenna mi was poised to perform (bros, we don’t care if you are from the Eastern part of Nigeria, ati fe e tan and we have renamed you. lool) anyways, the bad belle part of me was slightly happy that I did not miss his performance. That said, Nigerians are terrible with time keeping- now its not so much the not keeping up with time that infuriates but the lack of regard paid to the person whose time you have wasted.
    I only realised this when i worked for a predominantly Nigerian firm. The boss would waste everyone’s time even when he called meetings, by coming in late. when he had to meet people, he would go as late as four/ five hours late without calling the person beforehand to keep them informed of his movement etc. His lateness was not as a result of any emergency, he just did not plan his time well/ could not be bothered. That was the boss of the whole company; imagine what the workers were like? Everyone worked overtime; except for me- if i had to, i complained BITTERLY because the reason would most often originate from the boss’ poor timekeeping abilities and not because I did not do my job. AHH it infuriates- so, I understand the sentiments he has expressed and why he is demanding an apology also. It’s just simple courtesy, the extension of an apology after all of that.
    So you see I gat your back Olajide, we are a power couple. I can even speak a little innit or pepper yoyo if you want o. looool

• mie

May 18, 2017 at 12:01 am

@whocares hahahaha this cracked me up. I thought I had a crush on Jidenna. No, e no reash your own. I’ve shifted for you. Ahn ahn! Lol. She say Olajide ..??? smh!

4. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 16, 2017 at 10:48 am

@Agu, The funny part is that Jidenna doesn’t know you personally

You are his fan

You buy tickets to his concerts

You make him rich

Ask Africa Forbes List

Shame on me?

Too bad 🙂

• MurdaSheWrote

May 16, 2017 at 11:57 am

You are so dim. Jeez. RIP to your brain. Open your mind to better things you would be surprised how your life will be much more better. And yes, shame on you!!!

• Pita

May 16, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Lolzzzz…..must u make a full of urself always?

• Engoz

May 16, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Your views are always ill thought out, of little importance and can be ignored. But today, my sister, you finally disgraced your lineage, han han! The only good thing you can do for us is to write down the name of the schools you attended, so that people can stay clear. What an embarrassment!

5. mie

May 16, 2017 at 10:49 am

J-hunnybunny be killing it with the sweaters o. Is this one from Maxhosa too? ????

6. Tinuke

May 16, 2017 at 10:55 am

I was there.. and it was shambles.. @Love, u r so right , unknown artist performed far longer
    I specifically came to see Jidenna and i was so pissed he didn’t perform.

Awilo- his performance was topnotch, his dancers were so good and he got the crowds on their feet
    MI- he was good, he held the stage on his own
    Nice- Not bad at all, one oyinbo guy hijacked his song(gongo aso)..Lol, the guy performed it to the end
    Techno- he needs to work on his stage act, he looked uncomfortable, i almost spilled my drink when he shouted “water water water” ..to the organizers..very funny
    Davido- Pretty good, u could see he was trying to rush his set, but the crowd lapped his IF song..
    Falz- surprise of the night, very good performer
    Tiwa Savage- hmmmm, she no try at all, looked unprofessional and lacked confidence..she didn’t even sing most of her hits..
    Banky W- Now this guy vexed me big time! i’m a fan but the guy too talk.. just dey yarn upanddown, infact he should be held accountable for not adhering to time.. he went on and on about my wife o, my wife o, Uncle we know u are in love but please calm down! Nobody came for that..and then he performed some of his tracks, it was decent, i’ll give him that
    Phyno- Rushed through his set, but fada fada got the crowd up
    Olamide- i liked it , he was rushed too, but he got the crowd up.
    DJ Set- went on for 20 mins(Now what was the point of that???, surely Jidenna could have used that slot to perform?)
    Psquare- i was left disappointed(not their fault), cos they rushed their set too and the sound was messed up at that time
    Flavour- Now this was good, i really liked their live set and of course he showed the famous abs too(sexy dude)

All in all , it was a decent show, the place was packed but it was a massive let down , That Jidenna did not perform(i saw his rehearsal online and was really looking forward to it), ppl flew down to watch him and we were so disappointed, there was no apology nor did they even make any reference to it(though the mike was pulled out while Banky W was trying something)..
    Will i go back for such shows again? definitely not !!

NB:Jidenna,, please do a private show in London, ur fans are eagerly waiting..

• funmilola

May 16, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Babe, gbosa for you. See how you just analysed the show….I imagined it all in my head.

7. Daezy

May 16, 2017 at 11:09 am

@ifeyinwa- your mindset is one of the reasons Africa is very backward.

8. Me

May 16, 2017 at 11:30 am

@ifeyinwa it’s people like you that make other races say black people can’t reason.

9. SoniaPaloma

May 16, 2017 at 1:08 pm

LOL I can’t even say i am surprise. I do not waste my money to attend any concerts and I believe in supporting my black community but until they step up and do better with timing and performances. Myself and My Money will be chilling.

10. Sherlie Holmes

May 16, 2017 at 1:52 pm

The OneAfrica Concert in Houston was awesome! Organized and all! I really thought the London show would be equally as good, if not better. 🙁

11. Sunshiney

May 16, 2017 at 1:59 pm

This is so funny because the most punctual person I ever knew in my life is Nigerian…

• ExMay

May 16, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Same here. Tai Solarin was the most punctual man I ever met.

12. Nahum

May 16, 2017 at 2:41 pm

This “African Time” nonsense is just plain disrespect for other people’s time. It’s not cool and neither is it cute. It is plain disrespectful!!! If you won’t be late for an interview or to catch a plane, then you should not be late for an event. Stop this disrespect

• Miss_Flygerian

May 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Honestly, it’s a very disrespectful behaviour. That’s how I was invited by my Aunty to her church, a Nigerian Anglican church in Atlanta. Bible study was scheduled to start at 10:30 am. We got there at 10:25 ish and our car was the only vehicle in the church premise. Can you believe the church was still locked? The pastors had not even arrived. The first pastor showed up at almost 10:40. Bible study then started at about 10:50. The main service that was supposed to start at 11 am eventually started at 11.30 and even then, we were only a handful in the church. People started entering the church at 12:30 ish like no big deal. That was when I figured we really have a problem. Even in the house of God, they still can’t get their shit together and be time-conscious for once. Nigerians generally have a lack of respect and regard for other people’s time and always think that time will stand still for them or people will pause their schedules until their late asses show up.

Repeated tardiness is neither justifiable nor cute. We really need to stop this rubbish.

13. Stuz

May 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm

They carried ‘Eko Hotel’ antics to London. Lmao, serves them right. They should apologise to Jidenna biko.

14. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 17, 2017 at 10:06 am

@Memoir, I am not the president of Nigeria, sorry

@Serously, Are you Nigerian?

@June, thank you for defending me

@John, Respect Yourself

@whocares, Ifeyinwa Atuanya is not tribalistic

@MurdaSheWrote, Are you Maura Onyeje Obekpa Ijaola?

@Pita, Spell it well, (fool), don’t be afraid of me

@Engoz, Is it about Mikel Obi? Sorry: You are not Caucasian 🙂

@Daezy, thank you, but are you African?

@Me, You are ashamed of being black because Ifeyinwa Atuanya is black 😉

• Tee

May 17, 2017 at 1:48 pm

JEEZ! SHUT THE FCUK UP!!!!

• kuku

May 17, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Ifeyinwa you really need to stop…Oh Nne ..Ozugozia! Its getting embarrasing

15. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 18, 2017 at 9:17 am

@Tee, I don’t like you

@kuku, I don’t really need to stop Oh Nne or Nna o ozube You are getting embarrassing

• kkay

May 19, 2017 at 12:50 am

You would think someone would know when to keep quiet after such a gaffe. No, you need to go on and on?

16. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 19, 2017 at 9:22 am

@kkay, I don’t live in the USA or in London

What is the meaning of “gaffe?”

do you want to go on and on?

17. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

May 20, 2017 at 9:59 am

@Pita, I am not ignoring you Are you a monitoring spirit?